To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Leaking scale inhibitor

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
Papa Giddy
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd TFFO 07-08; 5th TFFO 06-07, Top scoring Eggcupper 07-08

Leaking scale inhibitor

Post by Papa Giddy »

I woke up this morning to discover that the scale inhibitor beneath the boiler has sprung a couple of leaks.

It was spurting water all over the boiler cupboard and has soaked the walls and carpet.. something which I have been able to stop by switching off the water at the mains.

We have a plumber coming out midweek to look at the system, and hopefully will look at replacing the whole heating system, but in the meantime - what can I use to plug the holes in the inhibitor? It's also a Sunday so it would need to be a product from one of the big DIY stores.

Not sure if there are any boiler experts out there in FISOland, but many thanks in advance for any advice.

Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Post by Alchemist »

there is a plasticine like material called "plumbers mate", that you need to mx the grey and white (i think) bits and then mould around the joints, and then it cures rock hard.

Its supposed to be temporary, but I have a radiator with it on for 5 years.

I'm pretty sure I got it from B&Q or Focus

Papa Giddy
Dumbledore
FS Record: 3rd TFFO 07-08; 5th TFFO 06-07, Top scoring Eggcupper 07-08

Post by Papa Giddy »

Cheers Alchemist, found some in Wicks. :D

It did the job for about 6 hours and then it spring a leak in a different part of the inhibitor.. so we got a plumber out on Monday to fix the problem, and n Friday he came back and we got him to re-plumb the upstairs water supply - £700 quid down and a ruined carpet and bed.

Went to my sisters wedding yesterday and got back tired and late, only to wake up this morning to discover that part of this new plumbing work sprung a new leak and has pretty much destroyed the study, with our entire book collection ruined. :( It's also leaked into the living room, where the art work I'd done for past jobs was stored, soaking that as well.

So we are back to having no water again. And now 4 rooms are bolloxed. I'm completely f offed with the whole thing. Time to get back onto the insurance company.

:evil:

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

:shock: :( Sorry to hear about your trouble PG. Only wish I knew anything about plumbing that would assist.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”