To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

House Build Inspiration needed

A forum for general discussion on Do It Yourself (DIY) subjects and topics
sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

House Build Inspiration needed

Post by sligorover »

Hi,

I'm going to meet an architect in a few weeks to discuss ideas for building a new house. I'm gathering a few pics from the net but was thinking i could get some extra inspiration by tapping into you guys.

If you were building a house from scratch what kind of design would you go for.

Links to pics would be good (i won't be able to afford Hefs playboy mansion :wink: )

Are there any useful web sites that you know off ?
Have you built a house yourself ? What are the pitfalls ?

The site is on a hill overlooking a lake. I'm hoping to keep it open plan with a balcony and lots of light. It will be a bungalow.

All design ideas welcome

cheers
Bob the builder

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I was going to say 'get lots of light' til I saw that bit. We've brought lots more light into our house with minor modifications (and lighter coloured paint and fittings!) - makes a world of difference.

How does a bungalow have a balcony?????

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: House Build Inspiration needed

Post by Dot »

sligorover wrote:Hi,

I'm going to meet an architect in a few weeks to discuss ideas for building a new house. I'm gathering a few pics from the net but was thinking i could get some extra inspiration by tapping into you guys.

If you were building a house from scratch what kind of design would you go for.

Links to pics would be good (i won't be able to afford Hefs playboy mansion :wink: )

Are there any useful web sites that you know off ?
Have you built a house yourself ? What are the pitfalls ?

The site is on a hill overlooking a lake. I'm hoping to keep it open plan with a balcony and lots of light. It will be a bungalow.

All design ideas welcome

cheers
Bob the builder

Another idea i'm kicking around with.

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

murf wrote:I was going to say 'get lots of light' til I saw that bit. We've brought lots more light into our house with minor modifications (and lighter coloured paint and fittings!) - makes a world of difference.

How does a bungalow have a balcony?????
Good question. It will be built into a hill so its like a bungalow on stilts. It would look like 1 story from the back but 2 from the front. The main living area's are on the top level and there the ones i'm interested on feedback on.

sligorover
Grumpy Old Man

Post by sligorover »

:lol: Thanks dot. I was thinking you would find this thread. Mrs sligorover is impressed. 8-)

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

Do Channel 4 keep old Grand Designs episodes for watching again on their website? Some fantastic stuff in that series - one in particular was built into a hillside overlooking the sea.

I envy you, sligorover. Always wanted to build my own house from scratch on a plot of land overlooking the sea/lake. :D

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

From memory you are in the sticks somewhere but is there anywhere you need privacy from? (noise or being overlooked).

If not I'd have a massive balcony on the front with lots of glass into my living room. They often rave about views from bedrooms on housey programmes but not for me - I'm only in there to sleep or do other stuff where the curtains are drawn :wink: Stick the bedrooms, bathrooms etc at the back.

And be practical - if you spend a lot of time watching TV then design your room around the telly and where you would sit! Flash fireplaces etc can go in the space that is left and should not be the focal point IMO.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Jonathan wrote:Do Channel 4 keep old Grand Designs episodes for watching again on their website? Some fantastic stuff in that series - one in particular was built into a hillside overlooking the sea.

I envy you, sligorover. Always wanted to build my own house from scratch on a plot of land overlooking the sea/lake. :D
John, John we are not talking about a 'LEGO' effort here. Kinell.

brogie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by brogie »

Will be doing the same thing myself sligo over the course of the next 18 months. Met my architect before christmas to get my planning permission changed from a bungalow to at least storey and half or storey and threequarter. Bloody planners havent a clue :x
Got the site surveyed. They have allowed 5.5m ridge height and there is a shed in the field beside it with a ridge height of 8.5m at it is at a higher level!

Lots of ideas floating about. One major decision is whether to plump for timber frame or go traditional cavity blockwork with concrete floor slabs.

As for yourself. the major battle will be in getting a good builder. Do you go for someone to organise everything for you or bring in the tradesmen as you need them.(brickie,spark, plumber, joiner, etc) As i work in this trade i will be bringing in guys i know and trust to go a good job. Drawings are relatively easy to knock up, building from them can be another thing!

Other decisions are do you go with the new green alternatives out there for heating/plumbing systems., ie wood pellet boilers, thermal ground heating. There are a few grants knocking about to get a few of these things installed. Another choice is radiators or underfloor heating

Stone masonry facing seems to be the in thing in the west of ireland at the moment. will you be going for that?

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

Dot wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Do Channel 4 keep old Grand Designs episodes for watching again on their website? Some fantastic stuff in that series - one in particular was built into a hillside overlooking the sea.

John, John we are not talking about a 'LEGO' effort here. Kinell.
Never seen Grand Designs then, Dot?

trigger happy
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trigger happy »

Save yourself time and money. Put a caravan on a few jacks....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “DIY”