View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

Barry Bennell

A forum for general discussion on News & Politics issues and topics
Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Barry Bennell

Post by Edmondson » 23 Nov 2016, 19:47

This geezer sounds like the absolute prime example of someone who should have been sentenced to the death penalty years ago.

In and out of prison for abusing one young footballer after another, honestly what has been the point of these pathetic punishments, an absolute scandal.

Just absolute basics - the guys got a huge issue, stop putting other youngsters at massive risk.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Barry Bennell

Post by Zimmerman » 25 Nov 2016, 15:25

Will no doubt be the tip of the iceberg.

It's a horrific cocktail of opportunity/exploitation?

Access to kids
In a position of power/authority
Respected by parents
Impressionable kids aiming to please (bad choice of words)

What I can't work out is why it's almost being handled as a 'football' problem?

Or is the PFAs involvement done in a bid to give them confidence to come forward.

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah » 25 Nov 2016, 15:36

Zimmerman wrote:Will no doubt be the tip of the iceberg.

It's a horrific cocktail of opportunity/exploitation?

Access to kids
In a position of power/authority
Respected by parents
Impressionable kids aiming to please (bad choice of words)

What I can't work out is why it's almost being handled as a 'football' problem?

Or is the PFAs involvement done in a bid to give them confidence to come forward.
Yep, Priests, Cub Leaders, Sports' coaches, working in Kid's Homes.... If someone is a paedo then they would go for those sort of roles?

I assume the three victims and one who told him to fook off were on BBC because he has prior convictions unlike the Westminster lot, other Celebs and a former top flight Football Manager who I won't name, but were accused?

Hampshire have just joined Cheshire and Northumbria in investigating historical Abuse\rape.

I think the PFA's hand was forced once Woodward came out?

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim » 25 Nov 2016, 15:39

Zimmerman wrote:What I can't work out is why it's almost being handled as a 'football' problem?
Yes this is exactly how it's come across to me - do they think that football is the only, or even main, place where this happens? :?

PS You mention bad choices of words. On Sky today I've heard talk of the victims 'revealing themselves', and 'coming out'. I don't mean to sound all 'Carry On', but such phrases with very well known other meanings could easily be avoided.

forestfan
FISO Knight
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Post by forestfan » 25 Nov 2016, 20:06

Seemingly jailed three times for such offences... if ever there's a case for throwing away the key, or something more severe than that, it's the likes of him. Sure there's lots more like him out there as well, for the reasons Zimmerman mentioned, it's likely to be on at least as big a scale as the DJs/celebrities in the wake of the Savile revelations (though unfortunately, as with that episode, there will probably be some innocent names dragged through the mud as well).

In terms of the Crewe situation, Dario Gradi seemed to take a long time to break his silence on the matter, pretty poor form for someone who was a pillar of the professional football community and known for his development of young players.

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah » 25 Nov 2016, 20:32

forestfan wrote:(though unfortunately, as with that episode, there will probably be some innocent names dragged through the mud as well).

In terms of the Crewe situation, Dario Gradi seemed to take a long time to break his silence on the matter, pretty poor form for someone who was a pillar of the professional football community and known for his development of young players.
If it is as bad as it sounds many will wonder how he didn't know, along with others at the Club.

forestfan
FISO Knight

Post by forestfan » 25 Nov 2016, 20:38

blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote:(though unfortunately, as with that episode, there will probably be some innocent names dragged through the mud as well).

If it is as bad as it sounds many will wonder how he didn't know, along with others at the Club.
Reminiscent of the story of legendary American college football coach Joe Paterno whose long career ended in disgrace after he was accused of covering up for an abuser who worked under him.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman » 25 Nov 2016, 20:47

A lady was interviewed on BBC news who made an investigative documentary regarding the whole abuse thing in 1997 and the resistance to the whole matter from all of football but particularly the hierarchy was astonishing. She was told by Man City directors that they couldn't care less what went on as long as they saw youths coming through for the first team. She was also pretty much stone walled by the FA.

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah » 25 Nov 2016, 21:37

Paterno (Penn State) was almost a cross between this one and the Westminster ring though?

@Stony: Yep, no real surprise as money\success talks. I remember Howard Wilkinson (currently very high up in the FA) saying that he didn't care if a footballer was a rapist\wife beater etc (Child Rape wasn't such a big thing back then - I'm sure it was in his Leeds days) he would still pick him.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman » 25 Nov 2016, 21:46

weren't there rumours about Gradi in the past?

Not linked to football, but Dave Jones was accused (and cleared) if i remember correctly? Dated back to his days working in childrens homes (rather than football).

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah » 25 Nov 2016, 21:55

I'm not mentioning names, but I did refer to a Manager above....

Gradi was a weird one in career terms. From memory a bit of a rising star who disappeared, then turned Crewe into quite a side and a veritable conveyor belt of talent.

Where there are kids to have time alone with there will be paedo's and Power, well New Order summed that up, and were called Joy division, which was a depraved "entertainment" corp of bad, bad times.

It is incredulous that people think the best of those in power\influence\authority, imho.

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah » 25 Nov 2016, 22:09

The big question is the role of the media and police though, not to mention the Mandatory Reporting idea ie if you think someone is a paedo then you can be prosecuted for not reporting him\her.

Meanwhile the BBC run a "Breaking News" almost headline on their site for the death of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ham ... tographer)

How is Bill Wyman not in prison for Mandy Smith? At least we banned Jerry Lee Lewis.....

juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Post by juckster » 28 Nov 2016, 15:09

BBC News reporting that Barry Bennell has been found unconscious and sent to hospital.

Doesn't mention suicide, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

murf
FISO Baron
Location: In the Zombie Highlands waiting to be reanimated as Christopher Lambert
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf » 28 Nov 2016, 17:11

Or a vigilante attack? BBC said he had moved out of his MK home but Stevenage isn't that far away and his pic has been in the papers etc.

Hopefully it was suicide and he won't pull through (my personal opinion of course).

PS Blah, Jerry Lee Lewis's wife was a legal age in his state IIRC.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson » 28 Nov 2016, 18:22

+1 on the not pulling through and would add best for all if as quick as possible, stop taking up everyone's time in NHS, security etc.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio » 28 Nov 2016, 18:25

Sky report he has at least 10 aliases

He was found unconcious at a function on Friday night.

Sounds like he was recognised ??

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman » 30 Nov 2016, 15:43

two tidbits I've heard on the radio in recent days which i find amazing/baffling/ridiculous;

1) apparently there could be a chance this stretches beyond football and might include other sports like athletics :roll:
2) The R5 presenter said we might find it shocking that "Derek Bell (newcastle) has thought about killing his abuser"

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker » 30 Nov 2016, 16:48

Zimmerman wrote:2) The R5 presenter said we might find it shocking that "Derek Bell (newcastle) has thought about killing his abuser"
Seems a perfectly reasonable reaction to me.

What I find really shocking is that none of the kids and their families made a sufficient fuss about it so that the whole thing with the implicit collaboration of certain clubs etc was swept and kept under the carpet.

If I'd been an abused 10 year old I would certainly have told my parents and once they'd interrogated me and were convinced that I hadn't been exaggerating what I told them, and even assuming that I'd successfully resisted actual sexual abuse would have created a real stink involving solicitors etc. Winston Churchill our local MP would certainly have received various communications. I appreciate that many families may not have had the resources to do that, and that some pathetic parents may have been as concerned with what their peers thought about them and the future potential earnings of their footballing kids as with protecting their own children, and that the abusers targeted the vulnerable, but surely a few of the abuseds' relatives should have had more gumption.

Of course many kids kept everything to themselves but that also leads to a criticism of the parents who didn't put the effort into teaching their kids how to react to different situations.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised » 30 Nov 2016, 16:56

Striker wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:2) The R5 presenter said we might find it shocking that "Derek Bell (newcastle) has thought about killing his abuser"
Seems a perfectly reasonable reaction to me.

What I find really shocking is that none of the kids and their families made a sufficient fuss about it so that the whole thing with the implicit collaboration of certain clubs etc was swept and kept under the carpet.

If I'd been an abused 10 year old I would certainly have told my parents and once they'd interrogated me and were convinced that I hadn't been exaggerating what I told them, and even assuming that I'd successfully resisted actual sexual abuse would have created a real stink involving solicitors etc. Winston Churchill our local MP would certainly have received various communications. I appreciate that many families may not have had the resources to do that, and that some pathetic parents may have been as concerned with what their peers thought about them and the future potential earnings of their footballing kids as with protecting their own children, and that the abusers targeted the vulnerable, but surely a few of the abuseds' relatives should have had more gumption.

I think everyone likes to think if it happened to them then they'd tell someone and wheels would be set in motion that wold make it all alright again. Reality is that the abusers are manipulative and you might think you are the only one being abused and that no one would believe you.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker » 30 Nov 2016, 17:14

After interrogation my parents would have believed me.

I've worked in societies where the Bennells of this world would rapidly have faced summary justice. Possibly a better solution than those in our society, as everyone knows where they stand and once they're caught, they don't reoffend.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman » 30 Nov 2016, 18:33

and thats probably why you wouldn't have been targeted.

murf
FISO Baron
Location: In the Zombie Highlands waiting to be reanimated as Christopher Lambert
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf » 30 Nov 2016, 18:46

It does amaze me how many victims never tell anybody. I can see their reasoning but you'd think some would. Maybe the perpetrators are better as selecting victims than I give them credit for.

Fact is, few do say anything so it carries on happening - or at least did in days gone by. You have to hope the problem is less widespread than it was with kids being more clued up.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog » 01 Dec 2016, 06:30

There should be some law where a convicted paedo like bennell can be hung drawn and quartered. Or we can put him in prison with other sex offenders for a couple of years.

Did anyone see Eric bristows tweets the other night. What a bell end.

blahblah
FISO Baron

Post by blahblah » 03 Dec 2016, 15:26

murf wrote:Or a vigilante attack? BBC said he had moved out of his MK home but Stevenage isn't that far away and his pic has been in the papers etc.

Hopefully it was suicide and he won't pull through (my personal opinion of course).

PS Blah, Jerry Lee Lewis's wife was a legal age in his state IIRC.
Yep. I think there is an Age of Consent thread on here, but a quick Google may shock some people at the places where it is still 12. (I assume this is puberty related, although I've never looked into why countries ramped it up to 16+, but will when back from holibobs and have sensible internet.)

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson » 15 Feb 2018, 23:22

He is now convicted but doesn't seem anywhere near enough. The guy should be killed. Wrecked so many lives.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog » 16 Feb 2018, 10:38

This guy is never getting out of prison and has wrecked so many lives. I personally ( and I know it not pc ) think that what’s the point of spending all that money keeping him in incarceration . Surely he should just be hung.

Maybe I watch too much tv but surely he could just “fall down some stairs”

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker » 16 Feb 2018, 10:51

Edmondson wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 23:22
The guy should be killed.

I tend to agree. But where do you draw the line?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman » 16 Feb 2018, 10:53

Between the perineum and the shoulder blades.

forestfan
FISO Knight

Post by forestfan » 16 Feb 2018, 19:33

Give him a piece of rope, sure he would do the job himself.

How he wasn’t exposed sooner is a disgrace, and certainly tarnishes the reputation of a few others in the game. Would be kind of fitting if Crewe were relegated from the Football League this season.

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

Post by El Tel of Ealing » 16 Feb 2018, 19:44

Gary Speed was one of Bennell's boys.Channel 4 Dispatches last night went heavy on insinuations that abuse of Speed contributed to his suicide.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “News & Politics”