View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

Petition for a Second EU Referendum

A forum for general discussion on News & Politics issues and topics
eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Re: Petition for a Second EU Referendum

Post by eastcentral1 » 28 Jun 2016, 08:12

It's unfortunate that in any early election we'll only have a choice amongst various shambles that are our political parties.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker » 28 Jun 2016, 14:25

forestfan wrote:I'd vote for a principled, locally focused independent candidate. But in a safe Tory seat without a high profile incumbent, it's unlikely one would stand.
I'd vote for the candidate with the best chance of winning who promised to vote against the activation of Article 51 unless it was likely that we could get a post Brexit agreement with the EU roughly in line with what Leave promised.

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan » 28 Jun 2016, 16:45

Richard Branson calling on parliament to 'take a second look' at the referendum: https://www.virgin.com/richard-branson/ ... referendum

Apparently Virgin businesses have lost about a third of their value.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball » 01 Jul 2016, 17:12

My petition was rejected despite gaining over 12 signatures, this was because there was already a similar petition that had not yet been approved. Would encourage others to sign and share. :)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/136417

Edit: link corrected.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz » 02 Jul 2016, 21:26

It's a funny sort of democracy if people will only accept the result of a referendum if it goes their way. What if we have a second referendum and it still produces a vote to leave? Will you demand a third referendum on the basis that people are still too stupid or ill-informed to cast their vote correctly?

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini » 02 Jul 2016, 21:36

Brexit: Leave campaign was ‘criminally irresponsible’, says leading legal academic | Home News | News | The Independent - www.independent.co.uk
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... type=Email

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker » 03 Jul 2016, 11:34

Billy Whiz wrote:It's a funny sort of democracy if people will only accept the result of a referendum if it goes their way. What if we have a second referendum and it still produces a vote to leave? Will you demand a third referendum on the basis that people are still too stupid or ill-informed to cast their vote correctly?
But you're happy to be on the winning side despite knowing that it's because a significant proportion of your fellow leavers were lied to?

I don't believe that. I think you're more than intelligent enough to appreciate why this result benefits no one.

murf
FISO Baron
Location: Up in the Highlands doing a Christoper Lambert impression with zombies (see my WWW/FPL links)
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf » 09 Jul 2016, 21:31

I see the petition has been rejected. I'm not happy about that so I am going to start a petition demanding that 4.1m sore losers get to sign a 2nd petition. That's only fair as they were lied to by the people pushing the petition who said it could work.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker » 09 Jul 2016, 23:19

I'm still really hoping this is just one big joke murf. I know you've got a sense of humour so I've got my fingers crossed but I don't think even you'd go in this deep. I'm worried you might not actually be able to tell the difference between how a petition and a series of repeated statements by senior politicians differ. :?

Jarlie
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Good

Post by Jarlie » 10 Jul 2016, 07:17

DrBunker wrote:I'm still really hoping this is just one big joke murf. :?
It has to be. No onme could be that obtuse for real.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Petition for a Second EU Referendum

Post by Maldini » 12 Jul 2016, 17:20

And also incorrect...

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum”.

Dear Maldini,

You recently signed the petition “EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum”:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

The Petitions Committee has decided to schedule a House of Commons debate on this petition. The debate will take place on 5 September at 4.30pm in Westminster Hall, the second debating chamber of the House of Commons. The debate will be opened by Ian Blackford MP.

The Committee has decided that the huge number of people signing this petition means that it should be debated by MPs. The Petitions Committee would like to make clear that, in scheduling this debate, they are not supporting the call for a second referendum. The debate will allow MPs to put forward a range of views on behalf of their constituents. At the end of the debate, a Government Minister will respond to the points raised.

A debate in Westminster Hall does not have the power to change the law, and won’t end with the House of Commons deciding whether or not to have a second referendum. Moreover, the petition – which was opened on 25 May, well before the referendum – calls for the referendum rules to be changed. It is now too late for the rules to be changed retrospectively. It will be up to the Government to decide whether it wants to start the process of agreeing a new law for a second referendum.

The Petitions Committee is a cross-party group of MPs. It is independent from Government. You can find out more about the Committee on its website: http://www.parliament.uk/petitions-committee/role

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

You’re receiving this email because you signed this petition: “EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum”.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “News & Politics”