60%
Not sure
20%

Total votes: 5

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Are you a Feminist?

Post by jimmy ching » 08 Sep 2015, 16:51

I've met so many people that say they support feminism.
It's dictionary definition is quite straight forward.
from dictionary.com

noun
the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
(sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.
Older Use, feminine character.

Personally, at this moment, I feel the actions of this enormous group do not follow up on the definition.
I see blinkers, ear plugs and gaffer tape.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: Are you a Feminist?

Post by jimmy ching » 08 Sep 2015, 16:56

As a starter, with me being a man, I'd thought I'd introduce a womans opinion on this subject.

This is well worth watching. There is a goldmine out there.
Main stream media will not touch anything of this nature considering who run the stories.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching » 08 Sep 2015, 16:58

and here's one from the opposite point of view.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching » 09 Sep 2015, 10:16

This man is no mangina. What a reply.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised » 09 Sep 2015, 10:37

Most men ae probably feminists in hat they believe in equality of the sexes. The feminist movement has suffered damage by idiots like the woman in the 2nd video who is desperate to play the victim and how life is so much harder for women like her. It's not

crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Post by crispybits » 09 Sep 2015, 18:55

As Surprised says, most men (and I'd go further and say most people) are probably feminists by that dictionary definition in the OP.

Trouble is first wave feminism was needed and achieved it's goals (mostly legal in nature) to a large extent. Second wave feminism was also necessary, and overturned many social stigmas that still applied. These battles are not "won" in all cases and all countries by a long shot, and there is still work to do. I have read literature by both first and second wave feminists and within their historical and cultural settings they are usually reasonable and make good arguments a lot of the time.

Since the 80s, third wave feminism has completely lost the plot though imo. They, along with the progressive movement in general (do not confuse progressive and liberal here btw), have become all about asserted but unsupported claims about privilege and victimhood. It's getting to the point where some feminist groups do not allow male feminists to speak at events because those supporters have "male privilege" and cannot possibly understand or empathise properly with womens' struggles in modern day society.

For some good background resources about the current situation if anyone is interested in learning a bit more in-depth about the counter-arguments against third wave feminism and a bit of commentary on the activities of third wave feminist groups, I'd recommend Karen Straughan for the anti-feminist perspective (one of her youtube videos has already been posted here) and Christina Hoff Sommers for the old-school feminist perspective (she disagrees with third wave feminism but was a bra-burning radical in her youth). Maybe even the Sargon of Akkad channel on youtube too, as he does fairly regular videos dissecting third wave feminist arguments and commenting on their latest activities. There's many more than these but they are three particularly concise and eloquent representatives of their various viewpoints.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching » 10 Sep 2015, 13:35

I can see crispbybits is well read up. +1 for your comments.
I have discovered over the last few years there has been a highjacking of the term feminism.
I was one in the 70's. It made sense to me. After all, who wouldn't agree with equal treatment for all?
I would call myself egalitarian now because feminism, the clue is in the word, has no interest in mens disadvantages, just womens..
I'm fed up of being called aggressive, lacking emotion, being a potential rapist, a peodophile, a misogynist, white and best of all, having a penis.
There is just endless demonisation of men through government backed policy, law, the main stream media and social pressures groups.
I am not worried for myself, as I was brought up in a different era. It's my son I worry for.
I can gather this forum is full of young men who still have a long life to live, full of big decisions that will affect their lives, I would suggest to these men, get yourself informed. Don't fall for these factoids that are so prevalent in our everyday lives. Check those numbers, use your logic and make an Informed decision.
I must reiterate crispbybits suggestion, start with Karen Straughan. Here's the link, starting with Feminism and the disposable male.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8tToF ... Rq9azNygpV

I am doing this because I care for men as well because I'm an egalitarian.

unc.si.
Dumbledore
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. » 10 Sep 2015, 22:07

jimmy ching wrote: I'm fed up of being called aggressive, lacking emotion, being a potential rapist, a peodophile, a misogynist, white and best of all, having a penis.
You really should speak to someone about that...

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching » 11 Sep 2015, 12:54

Whoops. Should have read, 'I'm fed up of men being called........' Cheers Unsci

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG » 11 Sep 2015, 14:45

Some people now just want to be "offended"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-34214111

...seriously :roll:

murf
FISO Baron
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: RE: Re: Are you a Feminist?

Post by murf » 11 Sep 2015, 15:31

RomynPG wrote:Some people now just want to be "offended"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-34214111

...seriously :roll:
Does the app also make her tits bigger?

crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Post by crispybits » 14 Sep 2015, 07:14

The latest gem I saw from a feminist conversation:
Feminst wrote:Legally enshrined rights to free speech are an equalising right, not an equal right - they exist to address imbalances in social power that prevent the marginalised from speaking out.

No-one needs to protect an angry upper middle class white man when he's saying racist or sexist shit - there's millions of other empowered angry upper middle class white men to do that.
So now legally enshrined rights depend on the level to which you're supposedly oppressed by patriarchy or capitalism or whatever. Lovely bit of hypocrisy in there too with the classism and sexism from an ideology that is supposedly anti-classism and anti-sexism.

jonesalice34

Post by jonesalice34 » 11 Jul 2016, 10:55

Emma Wotson's speech on the UN meeting is the most inspiring speech about feminism https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjW9PZBRfk

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “News & Politics”