View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

22 children shot dead in Connecticut school

A forum for general discussion on News & Politics issues and topics
Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Re: 22 children shot dead in Connecticut school

Post by Spinynorman » 18 May 2018, 21:33

This will surely never change and even if they do bring in gun controls of whatever type how many guns will still be out there?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised » 19 May 2018, 11:23

Spinynorman wrote:
18 May 2018, 21:33
This will surely never change and even if they do bring in gun controls of whatever type how many guns will still be out there?
Whilst many Americans love their guns and their right to own guns more than they love their own children and their children's right to live it won't change.

Pouzar99
FISOhead

Post by Pouzar99 » 21 May 2018, 09:34

The Lt. Governor of Texas says guns are not the problem. He says the problem is not enough people have guns. He wants as many teachers as possible to start bringing guns to work. He also wants the schools to have only one entrance. As if that was the problem. He will probably become an NRA hero and get lots of fnancial support - i.e. legal bribes. An awful lot of Americans are totally clueless about what should be obvious to any thinking person. Guns kill people and people with guns kill people every day in their country. They are stuck with an idiotic reading of the Second Amendment by the Republlican-appointed judges n the Supreme Court. Thoughts and prayers won't help. The kind of strict limitation adopted by the UK and the Aussies is the only sane reponse to mass killings, but you can't talk lemmings out of leaping off cliffs to their deaths.

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah » 21 May 2018, 09:47

:roll: guns don't kill people: people do....

shoot 'em up
yeehah

I do like the idea that some redneck with his\her lil collection of guns will stop the US Govt doing what it wants to and\or stop a Russian Invasion though: imagine the Beverley Hillbillies vs Putin's Army :lol:

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG » 22 May 2018, 23:54

Pouzar99 wrote:
21 May 2018, 09:34
... They are stuck with an idiotic reading of the Second Amendment by the Republlican-appointed judges n the Supreme Court.

Great article on Vox about what the 2nd amendment was actually meant for and how that all changed in 1977.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... s-violence

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman » 23 May 2018, 05:22

A decent read, cheers Rom.

murf
FISO Baron
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf » 01 Jun 2019, 12:39

Congratulations America. Just reached a total of 150 mass shootings for the year before the end of May. 12 dead yesterday in Virginia Beach and Trump is talking about.... the British Tory party leadership race.

blahblah
FISO Baron
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah » 01 Jun 2019, 12:44

It's fake news :wink:

forestfan
FISO Knight
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Post by forestfan » 01 Jun 2019, 12:55

He will be calling for more guns as a solution soon...

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: Considerably poorer than yow :-(

Post by bluenosey » 01 Jun 2019, 13:07

murf wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 12:39
Congratulations America. Just reached a total of 150 mass shootings for the year before the end of May. 12 dead yesterday in Virginia Beach and Trump is talking about.... the British Tory party leadership race.
It's never going to stop, is it ? It's now become a case of "oh, only 12 dead", people just become used to it. They may sit up if it's 50 plus or takes place at a school* and have the same old debates but nothing ever gets done.

* Incidentally, the last I heard Brenda Spencer, who was responsible for for the 1979 Cleveland school shooting, is up for parole. Why is this important ? Well, the reason she gave for the shooting was that, according to her, she "didn't like Mondays". Someone wrote a song about that. In the early 90's "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam had a similar theme and the video is still quite haunting. Then we had Columbine. Over the years everyone from Def Leppard (playing songs backwards :( ) to Marilyn Manson has been blamed. There's always some loner, some outcast, in whatever walk of life, that seeks solace in a gun.

Just no-one seems to have twigged if you didn't have the guns freely available in the first place, then half the crimes wouldn't happen. Not that I've got the moral high ground, though, living in Stab Britain :(

forestfan
FISO Knight
FS Record: Joint 6th TFF Wooden Spoon!

Post by forestfan » 01 Jun 2019, 13:10

Well yeah, but you can’t ban knives, and mass killings with them don’t happen easily unless it’s a coordinated terrorist attack. Knife crime has to be tackled through addressing the underlying causes (rather than pissing around with Brexit for three years and counting), whereas, as you say, gun crime can be massively reduced by making guns hard to get hold of.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “News & Politics”