To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Looking for a Good Bike for a bit more than £150

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Looking for a Good Bike for a bit more than £150

Post by blahblah »

I never noticed that the other thread had "looking" spelt with only one "o" :? :oops:

Well after having the first bike nicked and having borrowed one, I am now after something to ride for a few hours........ I plucked up the courage to go into a serious bike shop and touched\carressed\lifted a Specialized Secteur and mmmmmm

Not sure that I want to get a new one, so I have been looking on ebay and gumtree, and found a few under £300 like this and this Allez. The are Orbea's like this and Cannondale like this.

The thing is how do I know they are not nicked? (One person will swap for an i-phone :shock: and another wants some sort of motorbike, I think :shock: :shock: )

I am using Evans\Wiggle to try to find the spec's of the bikes - but I am pretty clueless about which are the better Shimano gears etc. Is there a "Noddy does Bikes" type of link?

PS: I don't want anything too flash.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Re: Looking for a Good Bike for a bit more than £150

Post by Richt »

my first question for you is this..... do you want one with stabilisers or not? :?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Nope, I'm fine without them now 8-)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Don't really like those ad's - nothing about spec, miles done, condition etc. Don't know much about Gumtree though - less protection than ebay??

How do you know they're not nicked? You don't I guess.

Anyway, in terms of Shimano gears, it goes:

Sora: pretty decent groupset and the first of the 'proper gears' (anything less than Sora is probably not that great if you're doing many miles) - nothing wrong with it although not as hard wearing or slick as the more expensive gruppos. Had it on my old winter bike and it was fine -maybe needed a bit more fettling than 105/Ultegra but nothing wrong with it. Good solid entry level gruppo.

Tiagra: never ridden it, but AFAIK a step up from Sora but probably not worth paying much extra for it.

105 - the first of the 'serious' groupsets. Good enough for anyone except racers and those that just like to have the best. Pretty much the benchmark for quality components without going OTT. Nice slick gears, don't need to mess with it much and hard wearing.

Ultegra - Excellent but expensive

Dura Ace - the dogs cojonas. Very expensive.

Dura Ace DI2 - electric gear shifting. Very clever - trims the front mech so you never get chain rub. About £2,500 just for the gears :lol:

For an entry level road bike you can't go too far wrong with an Allez IMO.
Secteur will be comfier and can take racks and guards I think.

Try and test ride one if you can to see what you like. What did you have before and what sort of riding will you be doing?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm after something that doesn't weigh a ton, and I can ride for 2-4 hours at a time.

Gumtree seems cash, and has a better geographical search. I have seen a few on ebay, and one looked really good value, but was in Newcastle. (I'm in Essex, lol.)

Maybe luckily, I was in a different bike shop (Cycles UK, which seems to be a local chain), and there was a friend of my dead dad's behind the counter :shock: Anyway it is £35 for a Service, which hopefully will be honest, and not a rip off - I feel like the proverbial woman in a Car Mechanics when I go in these shops :? :lol:

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Post by AKNel1 »

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... guy_165534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You can add a basket & it still comes in at <£300 :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The saddle does have a certain something :lol:

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

blahblah wrote:Gumtree seems cash, and has a better geographical search. I have seen a few on ebay, and one looked really good value, but was in Newcastle. (I'm in Essex, lol.)
you still got the link to the newcastle one? - just curious.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Went last night, sorry.

(Secteur, I think, less than £200, and he seemed to know what he was saying, so probably not nicked :lol: )

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

roadrunner
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 2013 Auto Trader F1 winner

Post by roadrunner »

i got a bike on eBay not lomg ago. There are definitely bargains to be had. I was fairly cautious about it though. i was keeping an eye on it, couple of months or so, and i probably passed on a few genuine bargains until i saw one i was 100% sure about.

I was going to spend about £300 but inevitably that crept up a bit and I ended up with a Crosstrail Comp with disc brakes, the 2012 model in red and black. it was virtually brand new, £420 including delivery, you've got to be happy with that :D

I've always liked Specialized bikes. I used to have a Rockhopper a few years ago, but it seemed a bit pointless getting a mountain bike as I am 80% on the road. I looked at a Sirrus but it seemed a bit lightweight, it didn't look like it could handle much more than a towpath.

One of the big drawbacks for me with eBay though was that most of the bikes were advertised as 'pick up only'. i mean what is wrong with these people, can't be bothered to wrap it i suppose. But if you are worried about buying a stolen bike, someone with good feedback who wants you to collect it from them is probably on the level.

Anyway I'd say second hand is definitely the way to go, you get loads more for your money.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

roadrunner wrote:I was going to spend about £300 but inevitably that crept up a bit and I ended up with a Crosstrail Comp with disc brakes, the 2012 model in red and black. it was virtually brand new, £420 including delivery, you've got to be happy with that :D

I've always liked Specialized bikes. I used to have a Rockhopper a few years ago, but it seemed a bit pointless getting a mountain bike as I am 80% on the road. I looked at a Sirrus but it seemed a bit lightweight, it didn't look like it could handle much more than a towpath.
Considering they're £700 off the shelf thats not bad. I'm currently rocking the 2010 of this as my commuter/rambler (prefer the 2010 colour scheme though :P ) Used to have a Sirrus, as you say, towpathsabout the limit.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

can't see much wrong apart from they can't spell campagnolo... decent they're showing what 'should' be the worst chip on the frame.

I'm fairly sure (unc will probably know) that all specialized bikes are fitted with shimano groupsets, I think this is a refurb with campag parts. I think from the paintjob and a quick google that this a pre 2009 frame. Looks like its got shimano spd pedals on, so some shoes will be in order :wink:

edit - I've just understood the you can make it 30 gears comment. Its a 10 gear derailleur with a 9 speed cassette. Definately a refurb of canibalised parts.
Last edited by Moist von Lipwig on 29 May 2012, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Looking on ebay people want daft money for steel bikes from the 1980's!!!!!!

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Achiles74 wrote:Looking on ebay people want daft money for steel bikes from the 1980's!!!!!!
there is a reason why.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:so some shoes will be in order :wink:
So a hidden cost, and it did strike me as odd that it doesn't have Shimano gears...

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

blahblah wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:so some shoes will be in order :wink:
So a hidden cost, and it did strike me as odd that it doesn't have Shimano gears...

well if you're going to do any sort of miles I'd recommend being clipped in anyway - much better pedalling. The alternative would just to fit some standard pedals at little cost.

edit - and campag aren't a substandard quality. I've never owned any of them so I don't know where the veloce fits in the food chain.
Last edited by Moist von Lipwig on 29 May 2012, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:Looking on ebay people want daft money for steel bikes from the 1980's!!!!!!
there is a reason why.
What is that reason?
I only see lumps of steel which they want silly money for, the bike would be better off down the scrap yard.
Case in point below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-ralei ... 41663b30cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would rather buy a cheap bike from Halfords than a very used one off ebay for 80 quid or more.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight

Achiles74 wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:
there is a reason why.
What is that reason?
I only see lumps of steel which they want silly money for, the bike would be better off down the scrap yard.
Case in point below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-ralei ... 41663b30cf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would rather buy a cheap bike from Halfords than a very used one off ebay for 80 quid or more.
there is a clue in the title, same as any second hand line of sales. They are in at the minute. I'm prepared to bet the bike in your link would outlast the 1st half of your end line.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
can't see much wrong apart from they can't spell campagnolo... decent they're showing what 'should' be the worst chip on the frame.

I'm fairly sure (unc will probably know) that all specialized bikes are fitted with shimano groupsets, I think this is a refurb with campag parts. I think from the paintjob and a quick google that this a pre 2009 frame. Looks like its got shimano spd pedals on, so some shoes will be in order :wink:

edit - I've just understood the you can make it 30 gears comment. Its a 10 gear derailleur with a 9 speed cassette. Definately a refurb of canibalised parts.
Veloce is roughly = 105, although that's pretty old Veloce (no skeleton brakes and they came in around 2006 I think), and it looks like the brifters are Centaur (which is a step up from Veloce - roughly = Ultegra). Campagnolo is definitely not a step down from Shimano. I've got Centaur and it's fantastic.

I know someone with an S-Works with Chorus (next step up Campag) but it is a bit odd to see an entry level Spesh without Shimano. It's been cobbled together from bits out of the garage by the looks of it. That groupset's come from at least 3 different bikes.

I'd be a bit wary - the guy clearly has no idea about bikes (bottom tube???) yet it's been retrofitted with a variety of Campagnolo bits obviously all off different bikes. That dent could be from an off rather than just 'everyday use' - looks OK but you'd want a bike shop to check the frame.

'Upgrading' to 30 speed would probably cost more than the bike using new equivalent campagnolo bits. The Brifters in particular cost around £100.

Personally I'd pass and wait for one that feels better.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Many thanks, that makes a lot of sense....

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:
there is a reason why.
What is that reason?
Case in point below

there is a clue in the title, same as any second hand line of sales. They are in at the minute. I'm prepared to bet the bike in your link would outlast the 1st half of your end line.
Will be a lot lighter than any 'lightweight aluminium' jobbie from Halfords.

Steels heavier but stronger than Alu. A good old fashioned Reynolds 531 double butted steel frame will have a lot less material than a cheap grade alu frame and will be lighter and more comfortable.

That's not a bad bike. Needs a bit of tlc (can't believe he didn't clean the chain before taking pics). The winner was a pretty low end bike though.

You should see how much 1980's Colnago steel frames go for

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

50cm on a sloping top tube is equivalent to a longer top tube on an a conventional horizontal TT bike. The actual difference depends on the angle of the seat tube.

Giant's website should have some sizing guides. At your height and inseam probably something like a 54 or 55 top tube equivalent sounds about right, but it does depend on a lot of factors.

A 50cm 'compact geometry' sloping TT could well be about a 54 or 55 equivalent for a 'normal' top tube but you'd be best to check.

You do run the risk with anything second hand (especially if they imply that they're only casual riders) that the chains / cassettes haven't been changed regularly. I'd probably assume that on a used bike you'd have to put at least a new chain and cassette on. You'd just be hoping that the wheels and chainrings are OK.

Worst case I guess is that you can always stick it back on e-bay if its not right.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I bid on those two, and was really good, and didn't up my bid, when I lost out 8-)

I bid more for the Giant as it had new tyres and stuff, but hey ho.........

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The one oop norf was open to posting :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Gurn King 69
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Most quoted poster on FISO for the EIGHTH consecutive (and final) year. Apparently...

Post by Gurn King 69 »

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”