To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Protein + Beer = Training?

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Protein + Beer = Training?

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Ok so your humble Beer guzzler is considering some weight training. To set the scene, I am 6'1" and weigh 15 stone. I carry it reasonably well, and have lost about 2 stone last year. Any training I have done before was all cardio, and I'm considering weight training now purely because I a) like the idea of burning calories even after Ive finished in the gym and b) figure the beach bod I'm after will look better working with weights than all on the cross trainer.

In short then, I have no need to lift parked cars - its frankly all vanity. Looking to lose weight and tone up a bit.

My attitude to weights is that it is basically lifting heavy shit and setting it back down again. Kinda gets boring real quick :?

So I have been basically training every other day (3 times a week planned) and doing Bench press, arm curls, lat pull down, sit ups, and quads & hams. I do about 3 sets of 10-20 depending on what. I leave the gym and it is uncomfortable to lift my arms in the shower to wash underneath but fine a few hrs later. (I'm not trying to kill myself because I know this is the one thing will put me off returning.)

I have some Chocolate Promax and took a scoop/200ml shot after the gym this morning. What I understand is that the additional pure protein aids muscle building & repair?

Anyway, any comments that push my further to my goal of a 20lbs weight loss-ish with better defined muscles, particularly in the upper body for an eye catching beach bod for a planned hol end of August would be most welcome.

Cheers Guys.

Foxtrot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF Champion 05/06. Tinkerman weekly winner 12/13.

Re: Protein + Beer = Training?

Post by Foxtrot »

Try reading this thread BFM

weight-training-t94180.html

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Ok - had a shifty. This is what stood out the most:
DrBunker wrote:Although I've gone from 15st to 13st7 since Xmas (I am 6'2 ftr!) I've not put on as much muscle mass as I hoped for. The tone is almost there but there's not enough definition.
Jack72 wrote:It amazes me how people seem to make it so complicated.
It really is very simple, eat big, lift big. Stick to chest press, barbell curls, lat pulldowns twice a week with at least 48 hours rest in between and eat 6 small meals a day. You don't need to complicate it any more than that, so just get on with it.
gazwood wrote:Cardio is obviously done to cut bodyfat down as bodybuilding is all about appearance.
'Bulking up' is exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve right now. If I do a Bunker & get done to 13.5 & tone up a bit I'll reconsider then. This is why the whole "eat big, lift big" thing is confusing me. I have more lose weight & tone/define intentions. I'm big enough. - Is less weight more reps better for this?

I prob need a bit more water intake for healths sake, but not sure I need to be taking creatine at this stage?

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

If you're happy with your size but want a more toned look without losing your mass then you need to get your calorie intake from proteins, along the lines of 60% protein 20% carbs 20% fats. The P90X program is useful as a guide if needed.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

gazwood wrote:If you're happy with your size but want a more toned look without losing your mass then you need to get your calorie intake from proteins, along the lines of 50% protein 15% carbs 15% fats & 20% Beer.
Cheers gazwood :lol:

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

:lol:

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Beerfuelledman wrote:If I do a Bunker & get done to 13.5 & tone up a bit I'll reconsider then. This is why the whole "eat big, lift big" thing is confusing me. I have more lose weight & tone/define intentions. I'm big enough. - Is less weight more reps better for this?

I prob need a bit more water intake for healths sake, but not sure I need to be taking creatine at this stage?
The basic rule is if you want muscles to show then lift heavier weights with less reps otherwise do loads of reps to tone up. I'm in no position to comment on creatine really; I use that and protein and with a changed diet I have no idea what makes the difference. :? If it works for you creatine will help you build more muscle but if you're going as much as you say you're on the right track. That said, one stat I often hear is getting the body you want is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Stick
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Completely private

Post by Stick »

creatine causes your muscles to get bigger, but in the first instance it is bcause your body keeps hold of more water, (the guidelines will instruct you to keep drinking) if you stop taking creatine then the water will be expelled leaving you where u started....

.....the theory goes that ur muscles will be more effective when swollen so will be able to grow more with exercise (so when u do stop the creatine the net effect will be bigger bulges)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Creatine played havoc with my liver/kidneys, but I did had a silly lifestyle then. My advice with creatine - Short term intake, clean lifestyle, not to be messed with.
Last edited by WilBert on 19 May 2012, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

@Stick, that's about the sum of it. As I said on the other thread - read up on it before you take it but it's not a drug, it's a supplement that adds to those produced by the body. There are loads of links over there.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Thanks Guys - thats enough for me to determine I dont need creatine :)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”