To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Loking for a Good Bike for Less Than £150

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Re: Loking for a Good Bike for Less Than £150

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Nothign wrong with a specialized sirrus, had one as a commuter.

Regarding BSOs, asda had this for sale for £70 a couple of years ago, this was on their national advertising - whats wrong with this picture?

Last edited by Moist von Lipwig on 19 Sep 2011, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

It's too big to fit on the page? :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Whats wrong?

A very poor choice of gear ring combination of course.

(Oh, and the front forks are on backwards....

...to be doubly pedantic they probably aren't 'on backwards' as they are on a circular tube but once the brakes etc are connected then they effectively are)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Recently had my Gazelle bike stolen :cry:
It was a great bike but not sure if they are sold in the UK

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Richt wrote:So what would you do about the clicking? I am 95% sure it's the pedal but not fully.
Take pedal off (15mm narrow wrench). Apply lithium grease to threads. Reassemble.

Do the bearings sound rough when you turn the pedal axle? If it is the pedal, more likely to be bearings than the threads, but might as well eliminate the dry thread possibility first.

Just check that there's nothing (end of a cable, cable tie etc) hitting your leg / foot / the crank when you pedal. If so, sorted.

Actually, I'd try it with different pedals and see whether it still clicks, but you probably don't have spare ones knocking around.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:Nothign wrong with a specialized sirrus, had one as a commuter.

Regarding BSOs, asda had this for sale for £70 a couple of years ago, this was on their national advertising - whats wrong with this picture?
nice :lol:

probably sums up why you shouldn't buy a bike from a supermarket.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

roadrunner wrote:Very helpful, thanks. I don't mind getting bounced around a bit, it was more that I was wondering if a bike like this is genuinely up to the job - eg, if you want to go an a fairly easy off-road route now and again, plus the odd fields and towpaths. I wouldn't want to damage it then you take it back to the shop and the guy goes well you shouldn't have been using it for that anyway. So I take your point about getting advice from a proper shop, there's one near me that looks quite good.

If you buy a car sometimes you might want to get GAP insurance or an extended warranty - there a lot of rip-off products out there like payment protection, etc, but those two can be quite useful. Are there any equivalents when buying a bike that you should consider?
I ride my road bike on towpaths and riverside paths (the winter one anyway). My Sunday best road bike has 20 spoke wheels and 23mm tyres, so wouldn't take it, but with 32 spoke wheels and 28mm tyres you're fine. I rode a cyclocross race on Saturday - 99% of the bikes there are effectively road bikes with chunkier tyres, stronger wheels and canti brakes for better mud clearance. There are hybrid bikes that are better off road than a sirrus - Hybrids really cover everything from 'nearly a road bike' to 'nearly a mountain bike'. Just choose the type that suits what you'll use it for.

Never heard of extended warranties for bikes. Wouldn't bother. Spend the cash on a slightly better bike.

You do need to maintain them though. Chains stretch and sprockets / chainrings wear. Replace the chain before it stretches too much and everything will last a lot longer (chains on my road bike last 1,000 - 2,000 miles, on the MTB anything from 200 to 1000 miles depending on where I'm riding. Edale kills chains / gears / brakes / legs).

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:Nothign wrong with a specialized sirrus, had one as a commuter.

I'll let someone else ask as it may be obvious but I do see a screw lying on the floor and can't see how the bike is standing up.

em9999
Dumbledore
FS Record: Finished 23rd suns 2010 world cup game. Finished 2302 overall in The Suns Premier League game

Post by em9999 »

I know a few bikes that would cost you well under 150...
:) two pints of larger and a packet of nuts usually do the trick

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Cheers for the comments guys :)

Think I'll have to up my spend to £200 +. Worth it if I want the bike to last unless I can get a good second hand one off someone I know.

Have checked out the Carrera bike as per Richt and that looks a possibility (averaging nearly five stars from 30 reviews is good going - £229). If Unc says they are half decent then that's good enough for me. 20% off at the moment on Halfords site. Will have to wait til I get paid to the end of the month but will pop into local store to have a quick look.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Picked up my Carrera Subway about an hour ago. Seems very impressive - sturdy but light, much comfier seat, tyres are apparently puncture resistant (or something), gears are a joy (not on gripper) and brakes are super sensitive, even in damp conditions. 21 gears and generated a fair bit of speed at one point. All in for £184. More than what I wanted to pay but seems about the best for the money. No doubt a few things may need to be tweaked and I can take it back in six weeks time for an MOT from Halfords. Kid there seemed quite knowledgeable but helpful at least. It's a nice black colour too. Just hope it doesn't look too good as don't want someoone tea-leafing it !

May not suit the budding Chris Boardman's out there but should be enough for me. I'll give it a fair blast over the coming week.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Congrats on your purchase Blue Nosey. Definitely worth the money! and you got a bargain.

I did 14 miles on my Subway tonight. Took 1 hour 10 minutes, so not lightening fast, but then it was pissing it down with rain.....

Let me know how you get on with it.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

unc.si. wrote: My Sunday best road bike has 20 spoke wheels

:shock: 20 wheels?? is that not just showing off?

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

bluenosey wrote:Picked up my Carrera Subway about an hour ago. Seems very impressive - sturdy but light, much comfier seat, tyres are apparently puncture resistant (or something), gears are a joy (not on gripper) and brakes are super sensitive, even in damp conditions. 21 gears and generated a fair bit of speed at one point. All in for £184. More than what I wanted to pay but seems about the best for the money. No doubt a few things may need to be tweaked and I can take it back in six weeks time for an MOT from Halfords. Kid there seemed quite knowledgeable but helpful at least. It's a nice black colour too. Just hope it doesn't look too good as don't want someoone tea-leafing it !

May not suit the budding Chris Boardman's out there but should be enough for me. I'll give it a fair blast over the coming week.
Where did you get it for that price Blue?

I can only see it on Halfords for £299.

I'm probably being thick, but have you got a link?

I'm in Birmingham next week for 3 days so might have a look.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

@Sted.

Blue said in an earlier post that Halfords were offering a 20% discount, and that he had found it at a starting price of £229.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

Richt wrote:@Sted.

Blue said in an earlier post that Halfords were offering a 20% discount, and that he had found it at a starting price of £229.
Cheers mate....I was looking for a 22" frame which explains why I can't find.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

sted wrote:

Yeah I got the 18" frame which seems fine for me height. There was an additional 20% off until yesterday and I reserved mine before the offer ended. It's back to £230 now I believe. I tried to get the Subway 2 (with disc brakes) but this was sold out everywhere, so went for the older version. I'm sure if you wait there will be another offer along soon.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

bluenosey wrote:
sted wrote:

Yeah I got the 18" frame which seems fine for me height. There was an additional 20% off until yesterday and I reserved mine before the offer ended. It's back to £230 now I believe. I tried to get the Subway 2 (with disc brakes) but this was sold out everywhere, so went for the older version. I'm sure if you wait there will be another offer along soon.
Think you were probably better off getting the Subway 1. Don't need to spend the extra on disc brakes IMO (unless you're doing hardcore off road stuff) and mechanical discs can be a pain to set up and keep running without rubbing / squealing anyway.

Glad you like it. Sounds like a good shout from Richt. Bottom line is that if you enjoy riding it and it feels good then it's a good bike.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

I'll be honest with you, when I bought mine (about 18 months ago), I was led by the price. Was the best value bike in that price range even back then.

I consider myself quite lucky that it didn't turn out to be a pup.

Enjoy.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

I eventually found a cheap bike.

Bloke was selling one in the local classifieds, I went round and he knew as little as me about them. However, it was 'Giant' which I'd heard of. Him and his missus had brought bikes new in 2009 and not used them, still sitting in the garage. Flat tyres and rubbing back break but looks new. £50.

http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/boulder-2009/specs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He also said I could have the other one for £25....so I did.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mine looks good enough for me. Mrs Sted is quite happy with the hybrid dhe has already got, so I'll sell the Landrover on.

Any good?

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Good stuff Sted 8-)

Look fine to me but I'd wait for Unc.Si to post.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

Front fork is wrong way round

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Finsimbo wrote:

It's taken you a month to work that out?? :wink:

Anyway - Sted - that bike of yours looks OK for £50. The LandRover one looks like a pile of shyte though. Tourney gears and twist shifters - get rid.

I'm currently trying really really hard to resist buying one of these:

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/catena-2012-zoom.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lovely bike, pretty reasonable price as well. I'd get it if I could work out how to hide it from the wife :lol:

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

unc.si. wrote:
Finsimbo wrote:

It's taken you a month to work that out?? :wink:

to be fair I only spotted this post today when the thread was dug up :oops:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

My turn now :?

I didn't realise how complicated it is. I haven't bought one since it was a choice between a Chopper and a Racer, which a racer one and had its handlebars rotated through 180 degrees :lol:

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

I've got one you can have cheap.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll even turn the handlebars around for you. :wink:

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Blah, go for the one I recommended earlier in the thread.

A steal at that price, and I have never had a problem with it.

Doing about 100 miles a month on it at the moment, (that's not my speed though btw) :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Jan will be a good time to get one?

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

any time will be a good time I guess.
Unless Halfords will be like gyms in the new year! Packed full of people looking to start some sort of excercise regime..... may they increase the price?

Or decrease the price to get more sales?

Or keep them the same price, so that I can cover all bases? :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maybe Ebay, if I know what to look for?

If unc's wife snoops here he may have a new bike for Xmas? There are so many in your end o's that they are neither big nor clever :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”