To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Electronic Cigarette

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

The Electronic Cigarette

Post by tedbull »

Been a while since I've been a regular over here so I'm not sure if this has been discussed recently but I give you...

The Electronic Cigarette.

Got my first one last week (the Joye510 model reviewed above) and have gone from a pack a day of B&H to precisely zero B&H. The half full pack still sits in the car next to me but I've no desire to touch it... the e-cig is just better. Currently on Peanut Butter flavour. Yum!

You still get nicotine, but you don't get the cancer causing shite from cigarettes, you don't get the terrible smell, you don't get dirty ashtrays, and you don't spend a fortune. I think my 'vaping' habit (you smoke smoke, but you vape vapour) is less than $1 a day compared to $15 a day.

I know there will be at least one person who will disagree strongly with these devices, but for the rest of you... do some research and consider whether it might be for you.

Over to you Katherine...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: The Electronic Cigarette

Post by blahblah »

So you still get a "hit"?

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

I have one of these, was fantastic to start with but then started to make me feel nauseous in the mornings, couldn't have been good for me, so I went back to normal cigarettes :lol:

tedbull
Dumbledore

Post by tedbull »

Kind of... it's like you get everything... but if you're gasping for a smoke then you don't get "the hit" straight away - takes about 3 draws before you feel a strong craving go.
In every other way you feel it in the same way as smoke - but with a flavour hit (they sell in all sorts of pleasant flavours, including tobacco). That's just my personal experience - I'm sure a lot of this pyschological.

I believe you can buy them pretty easily in the UK. Some restrictions here in Aus so I have to buy the juice from China.

tedbull
Dumbledore

Post by tedbull »

gazwood wrote:I have one of these, was fantastic to start with but then started to make me feel nauseous in the mornings, couldn't have been good for me, so I went back to normal cigarettes :lol:
:lol:

Haven't hit the nausea in the mornings yet... I'm going to have to take care with how much I 'vape'. It's bloody enjoyable.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

Can't find a recent thread so resurrecting this one, who uses these? What's good? What's to be avoided? Costs?

So many places/ times you can't light up these days so looking for a substitute for those occasions, especially with our upcoming holiday in mind. No intention of giving up or making a permanent switch.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

You want to avoid looking like you're sucking on a spark plug which is quite difficult with some of them.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Still banned in many/most workplaces (although it's flouted constantly in mine).

Backlash
Dumbledore

Post by Backlash »

Vid wrote:No intention of giving up or making a permanent switch.
Keep an open mind, surely you can see the benefits of permanently giving up, I personally know 3 long time smokers (20+ years) who have now kept away from the real thing using these.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

For quitters who aren't even man enough to quit. I just hope my taxes never pay for them......

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

My dad had a heart attack and luckily lived to tell the tale. The consultant told him to give up smoking and he did. He's never had one since and has never even wanted one, it's amazing what a bit of shock therapy can do for you. That was eight years ago now and he's not even had a twinge since.

I'm asthmatic and it was probably due to both my parents smoking. It wasn't really their fault as back in the 70's, the harm it caused wasn't as well known. In fact they used to collect Embassy Regal coupons and had a catalogue of gifts they could buy! My mum was a 40-a-day woman and although she still smokes today it's never in their home and is a fraction of what she used to smoke. 5-a-day max.

Her father, my Grandad, died of throat and lung cancer. He was my hero as a kid and it broke my heart when he died when I was ten. I watched him suffer terribly in his last year and it still haunts me to this day the way he looked when I last saw him, nearly 40 years ago now. 40 Woodbines a day, with bright yellow fingers, he died in pain at the age of 69.

Not in a million years would I ever touch a cigarette. It's just cancer in a stick and a silly addictive habit that should of been outlawed years ago. It's the 21st Century and these need things need to be consigned to the past, with other silly old-fashioned things like the pipe, the bowler hat and the handlebar moustache!

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

I understand what you're saying Dennisthemenace and how it has affected your life, my own life experiences are somewhat different with the smokers in the family outliving the non-smokers significantly. Worst time for me was when my sister died of cancer some 25 years ago, she never smoked nor spent any time in smoky environments, but it still got her along with our mother a few years earlier, also a non-smoker.

We've now bought the e-cigarette kit and yes, sucking on a spark-plug may not be the greatest look going Mystery, but one I can live with for now :-)

It'll take a little while to settle down to see just how much this is costing as this has been driven in part by the step-daughter looking to find a way to help deal with stress that her anti-ds aren't doing, can't see it really helping her, but we'll see. Along with an upcoming holiday for MrsVid and myself that has a lot of restrictions regarding smoking, which includes e-cigarettes, but should be very difficult for e-cigarettes to be noticed as opposed to normal fags.

Initial outlay of around £100 for 3 batteries (a nice navy blue one for me :-)) more than enough tops (8 I think), step-daughter has a clear one for her apple flavour, MrsVid has a red one for her tobacco flavour (that she has now decided that she doesn't like the taste of :roll: ) and 3 for me, green with mint, yellow with lemon and lime and blue with coffee flavour which I'm rotating several time throughout the day.

Rather than when smoking normally you keep drawing until it's down to the filter then light another 20/30 mins later (for a 30-40 a day smoker like me) the e-cigarette stays on and I draw on it when I feel like it maybe a few seconds, maybe several minutes (or a lot longer) between draws, it certainly seems more convenient. I've smoked 3 normal fags in the last 24 hours due to charging the battery, so after 40+ years smoking (I started when I was 9!) I can surprisingly see the habit changed very quickly. Time will tell of course, especially as this is a few days at home test, getting back to a working environment might make things harder, or possibly easier.

Calvin1979
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Ruined by real life responsibilities

Post by Calvin1979 »

Vid wrote:I understand what you're saying Dennisthemenace and how it has affected your life, my own life experiences are somewhat different with the smokers in the family outliving the non-smokers significantly. Worst time for me was when my sister died of cancer some 25 years ago, she never smoked nor spent any time in smoky environments, but it still got her along with our mother a few years earlier, also a non-smoker.

We've now bought the e-cigarette kit and yes, sucking on a spark-plug may not be the greatest look going Mystery, but one I can live with for now :-)

It'll take a little while to settle down to see just how much this is costing as this has been driven in part by the step-daughter looking to find a way to help deal with stress that her anti-ds aren't doing, can't see it really helping her, but we'll see. Along with an upcoming holiday for MrsVid and myself that has a lot of restrictions regarding smoking, which includes e-cigarettes, but should be very difficult for e-cigarettes to be noticed as opposed to normal fags.

Initial outlay of around £100 for 3 batteries (a nice navy blue one for me :-)) more than enough tops (8 I think), step-daughter has a clear one for her apple flavour, MrsVid has a red one for her tobacco flavour (that she has now decided that she doesn't like the taste of :roll: ) and 3 for me, green with mint, yellow with lemon and lime and blue with coffee flavour which I'm rotating several time throughout the day.

Rather than when smoking normally you keep drawing until it's down to the filter then light another 20/30 mins later (for a 30-40 a day smoker like me) the e-cigarette stays on and I draw on it when I feel like it maybe a few seconds, maybe several minutes (or a lot longer) between draws, it certainly seems more convenient. I've smoked 3 normal fags in the last 24 hours due to charging the battery, so after 40+ years smoking (I started when I was 9!) I can surprisingly see the habit changed very quickly. Time will tell of course, especially as this is a few days at home test, getting back to a working environment might make things harder, or possibly easier.
How's it going Vid? I started vaping about 6 months ago but carried on part-time smoking. I progressed to one of those hideous looking box mods (variable voltage and wattage with sub-ohm tank) three weeks ago and haven't had a cigarette since.

tedbull
Dumbledore

Post by tedbull »

Glad to see this thread being revisited.

After smoking for over 20 years I was straight off them with the ecig and still am to this day (a little over 5 years according to the first post).

Still illegal to sell them in Australia and lots of suspicion around them from the public. It was very interesting visiting England again in the last month and seeing them being sold in the local chemist! It seemed like they were commonplace over there.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”