To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Anti Depressants, or Happy Pills

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being

Have you?

Yes
20%
No
53%
Relative has
27%

Total votes: 79

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Anti Depressants, or Happy Pills

Post by blahblah »

unc.si wrote:Never realised blahblah. Maybe I should stop calling you dad - probably doesn't help the paranoia :lol:

I must say that I'm completely ignorant on this sort of stuff, but to me it seems pretty positive that you can talk about it. Has to be a good thing in my book.

Always thought that pills just make the effects of any illness better without getting to the root cause, i.e. they're never going to fix the problem. Having read a few things on here I realise that there are times when pills may actually be the only answer, or at least may be necessary alongside other treatment.

Is there anything that you could focus on that makes you feel really good or that you're really good at? Some sport or activity that you can fall back on to give you a solid core / foundation to your life and that you can rely on to make you feel good if other things are going wrong?

I guess it's not as simple as that - I did say I know nowt about this...

The pills stop the bad chemicals getting to the brain, and they have certainly made things less bad, but yes, some reason for being is part of the "real" cure, but would not be attainable without the pills.

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

I know a few people who have taken them/still take them, but I haven't. Nothing to add to what has already been said, except to reiterate that while you are on them and feeling better you should continue to look at the root cause (assuming it's not physiological as has already been mentioned) and that a healthy diet and lots of exercise should not be underestimated.

All the best and take care!

Synyster
FISO Knight
FS Record: Won a few prizes here and there..

Post by Synyster »

Take any day that's not your worst as a positive, ever thought of or been recommended 5-HTP (L-5-Hydroxytryptophan :shock: ) available on the market, Holland & Barretts or somewhere, for pretty cheap. Take a look into it online, I usually pop 2 a day if remembered, it helps sleeping, and also food metabolism. Reason I take them is a few years back, I had a major problem eating, literally ate no more than a bite a day. Felt so ill/down/energyless/mindscrewed everyday that every day now can only be a good one, considering this eating 'disorder' was no simple task to pass..

I have bouts of problems, but it's just my mind reconciling from the past - only way I see past it is taking positives from what you can - i.e. other people helping.

Enough of my lifestory....zzzzzz, chin up and a smile a day please. :mrgreen:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

tcf wrote:Take any day that's not your worst as a positive, ever thought of or been recommended 5-HTP (L-5-Hydroxytryptophan :shock: ) available on the market, Holland & Barretts or somewhere, for pretty cheap. Take a look into it online, I usually pop 2 a day if remembered, it helps sleeping, and also food metabolism. Reason I take them is a few years back, I had a major problem eating, literally ate no more than a bite a day. Felt so ill/down/energyless/mindscrewed everyday that every day now can only be a good one, considering this eating 'disorder' was no simple task to pass..

I have bouts of problems, but it's just my mind reconciling from the past - only way I see past it is taking positives from what you can - i.e. other people helping.

Enough of my lifestory....zzzzzz, chin up and a smile a day please. :mrgreen:

I have that too, I have to eat before I can eat healthily :wink:

Seriously, that is an intermittent thing, but I am down to one decent feed a week, which I know is not good......,

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

blahblah wrote: but every good bout is followed by a drop, but not as bad as previous lows.
With the greatest respect that is down to individual perception. See good in bad.

To elaborate further on my past.
There is still a dark room in my mind. Whilst I've walked out of it, the room will always be there and I'm not afraid to look into it from time to time. It is part of me, part of my past and will always be there but it is not now and will never be the room I live in again.

F**k's sake that's way too deep for me. Time for a knob gag............

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Latic wrote:
blahblah wrote: but every good bout is followed by a drop, but not as bad as previous lows.
With the greatest respect that is down to individual perception. See good in bad.
Maybe severe would have been a better word?

I have tried to avoid specifics in the thread, however, just wanting to cry is not as bad/severe as contemplating suicide. :wink:

After a few pretty good days, I have been on a low for over 24 hours......

Synyster
FISO Knight

Post by Synyster »

Latic wrote:F**k's sake that's way too deep for me.
Not the first time I've heard that... :D :D

Thankyou I'm here all day, (so's murf.) :wink:

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

Latic wrote:
F**k's sake that's way too deep for me. Time for a knob gag............

Taxi for Madchester! :lol:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

The drug you've been given is an selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Serotonin is naturally produced by the body and it makes your mood good!

The drugs stop the serotonin you produce being absorbed or "reuptaken" back into your nerve cells.

Many people use the drugs to get through anxiety and depression brought on by an event (divorce, death in the familly etc) and will take them for a short period (minimum 6 months though). Others may find they need to take them for many years because theri bodies just dont produce enough serotonin.

Many addictions are thought to be linked to this. If you are depressed you reach for something that gives you escape. For some they find something healthy like exercise, for others it may be gambling, drinking or the classic self medication for mild depression: smoking.

It can be very tough in the bell jar, or Latic's room so good luck with it

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Groomyd wrote:The drug you've been given is an selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Serotonin is naturally produced by the body and it makes your mood good!

The drugs stop the serotonin you produce being absorbed or "reuptaken" back into your nerve cells.

Many people use the drugs to get through anxiety and depression brought on by an event (divorce, death in the familly etc) and will take them for a short period (minimum 6 months though). Others may find they need to take them for many years because theri bodies just dont produce enough serotonin.

Many addictions are thought to be linked to this. If you are depressed you reach for something that gives you escape. For some they find something healthy like exercise, for others it may be gambling, drinking or the classic self medication for mild depression: smoking.

It can be very tough in the bell jar, or Latic's room so good luck with it

So it leaves more serotonin in my blood, so I am happy, rather than into the cells... ?

This wasn't triggered by such an event, and as I say above this is at least my 3rd bout of it... I had the dosage increased to 60mg, today, and may get put on something else in 3-4 weeks.

Thanks everyone, once again for your posts, and pm's.

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

blahblah wrote:
I have tried to avoid specifics in the thread, however, just wanting to cry is not as bad/severe as contemplating suicide. :wink:
Contemplating or even planning suicide is one thing, finding a reason, any reason, not to do it today is what counts. Sometimes yesterday's reason might not be good enough, but tomorrow's might, so always give it another day.

I've been in some strange places in my life, I think the that it was around 7 or 8 years old that just walking out into the road seemed to be the perfect way to put an end to the bad experiences, didn't do it then and have had many, many different plans and thoughts in the 40 years following, but I'm still going.

Never sought help and would certainly never take pills, not a criticism of those that do, just something that I don't think would benefit me. I rationalize a lot and work on the principle that treating the symptoms does nothing to deal with the cause. It can take a very long time to actually identify the cause though and it's very clear from my own experiences and those of family and friends that the process can be slow and the pills can make all the difference in the short term, which could still be a year or two. Anything over that and I really do think that a different approach is needed.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Blah....Your an Ipswich fan right? :wink:

Never took them myself....been lucky enough to be pretty happy go lucky all the time, mainly through taking the piss out of other people, always pissing around at work and rinsing anyone whenever I get the chance :P

I think a good diet ( eat shit, feel shit ) plenty of water, plenty of exercise helps and an active lifestyle...but then I'm only 27 and what do I know?

My step father is on them and has been constantly for about five years....he is always very quiet and not really a peoples person....I don't know? I can't see him being any better and can't see him ever coming off them.

I read somewhere that being on a computer all day doesn't do you any good....( I'm not taking the piss - honestly ) thats why i've cut my FISO time down from 4-5 hours a day to mainly an hour a day.....and thats an hour too much for some :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Vid wrote:
blahblah wrote:
Contemplating or even planning suicide is one thing, finding a reason, any reason, not to do it today is what counts. Sometimes yesterday's reason might not be good enough, but tomorrow's might, so always give it another day.

I've been in some strange places in my life, I think the that it was around 7 or 8 years old that just walking out into the road seemed to be the perfect way to put an end to the bad experiences, didn't do it then and have had many, many different plans and thoughts in the 40 years following, but I'm still going.

Never sought help and would certainly never take pills, not a criticism of those that do, just something that I don't think would benefit me. I rationalize a lot and work on the principle that treating the symptoms does nothing to deal with the cause. It can take a very long time to actually identify the cause though and it's very clear from my own experiences and those of family and friends that the process can be slow and the pills can make all the difference in the short term, which could still be a year or two. Anything over that and I really do think that a different approach is needed.

Apparently it is not normal to have pondered suicide. :shock:

I see the pills as allowing me to put things right etc, not doing it for me.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Vid wrote:
I would have to challenge you on that Vid.

If say your thyroid glands didn't work you'd take a drug to boost them. If your cholesterol were high then you'd diet but you'd also take statins if the dieting didn't work (as it does not in many people. You would think nothing of it. Thats why we spend money on drug research. It saves lives and prolongs healthy lives.

Some people just dont produce enough serotonin. its chemical. Not necessarily psycological.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

blahblah wrote:
Apparently it is not normal to have pondered suicide. :shock:

I see the pills as allowing me to put things right etc, not doing it for me.
I have never claimed to be "normal" :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shouldn't they have tested my blood for it, then?

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

blahblah wrote:Shouldn't they have tested my blood for it, then?
The role of the brain in producing them is not fully understood. Its not toally understood how or why it works.

There are a number of SSRIs (prozac probably most famous) and for some you need to try a few to see which work for you.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Groomyd wrote:
Vid wrote:
I would have to challenge you on that Vid.

If say your thyroid glands didn't work you'd take a drug to boost them. If your cholesterol were high then you'd diet but you'd also take statins if the dieting didn't work (as it does not in many people. You would think nothing of it. Thats why we spend money on drug research. It saves lives and prolongs healthy lives.

Some people just dont produce enough serotonin. its chemical. Not necessarily psycological.
So I'm going down a much more personal line but if you reread my post - if the cause is chemical then it's already been identified so there's nothing to challenge.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

Groomyd wrote:
If say your thyroid glands didn't work you'd take a drug to boost them.
To have both of them not working is just plain unlucky Groomy. :lol:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

"Anything over that and I really do think that a different approach is needed"

I am simply asserting that some people may need to take the pills for ever and that is entirely healthy.

Not read this but the nhs website is often informative:

http://www.nhs.uk/Pathways/depression/P ... nding.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

sted wrote:
Groomyd wrote:
You should see the size of my dicks :wink:

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

Groomyd wrote:
sted wrote:
Groomyd wrote:
We've all felt the force of the one on your forehead :P

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Groomyd wrote:"Anything over that and I really do think that a different approach is needed"
Don't play silly bigger, follow the whole post and not one line - even though not stated specifically, the couple of years was to do with finding and treating the cause rather than the symptoms. If it is a chemical imbalance then the pills treat both.

sted
Dumbledore

Post by sted »

Groomyd wrote:
sted wrote:
Groomyd wrote:
I've only ever seen photos of you from the neck up. What's the other one like?

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

sted wrote:
Groomyd wrote:
sted wrote:
Groomyd wrote:

I don't know about blahblah but that cheered me up. :lol: :lol:

Synyster
FISO Knight

Post by Synyster »

cherylhoney wrote:
sted wrote:
Groomyd wrote:
sted wrote:
Groomyd wrote:

I don't know about blahblah but that cheered me up. :lol: :lol:
I know about blahblah, it's all I ever see in groomys posts. :D :D

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Vid wrote:
Groomyd wrote:"Anything over that and I really do think that a different approach is needed"
Don't play silly bigger, follow the whole post and not one line - even though not stated specifically, the couple of years was to do with finding and treating the cause rather than the symptoms. If it is a chemical imbalance then the pills treat both.
Vid: I'm not picking a fight. Just clarifying. If thats not what you meant then thats fine.

Vid
Head Moderator

Post by Vid »

Groomyd wrote:]

Vid: I'm not picking a fight. Just clarifying. If thats not what you meant then thats fine.
No probs, I'm not normal anyway :D burble, burble

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

[quote="sted
I've only ever seen photos of you from the neck up. What's the other one like?[/quote]

Dunno, not used it for years.

Although the last photo i saw of you did have a condom on your head :wink:

Synyster
FISO Knight

Post by Synyster »

Groomyd wrote:[quote="sted
Dunno, not used it for years.

Although the last photo i saw of you did have a condom on your head :wink:[/quote]

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”