To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

The Hotpot Challenge

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

The Hotpot Challenge

Post by AKNel1 »

5K Walk / Run
5K Row
10K Cycle

CURRENT RANKINGS

Hotpot - 19.34/21.45/35.39 = 76.58

AKNel1 - 20.38/25.44/48.14 = 94.36

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Re: The Hotpot Challenge

Post by mad dog »

I'll have a go at the 5K bike, I'll probably die if I do the 5K row so won't attempt that......I hate the treadmill I walk enough at work all day....could I swap the treadmill for the crosstrainer?? or not?

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

-DC- wrote:I'll have a go at the 5K bike, I'll probably die if I do the 5K row so won't attempt that......I hate the treadmill I walk enough at work all day....could I swap the treadmill for the crosstrainer?? or not?
The bike is 10K not 5K

Obviously its up to you what you do at your Gym session but the Hotpot challenge is as listed above - If you really don't like the treadmill, just have an occasional crack at this (say once a month) and see if you've improved

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

10K :shock: Well I'll give the bike and walk/run a go and see what times I come up with. I'm just too unfit for the 5K row so will have to build myself up

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

Your best time to run/walk 5k is 48 minutes?

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

CanaryYellow wrote:Your best time to run/walk 5k is 48 minutes?
I know rubbish isn't it :lol:

In my defence its walking only for me - any sort of running gives me shin splints, doing a walk at 7kph is agony. However I think this is a good challenge that Hotpot posted for a couple of reasons, so I gave it a go to see where I'm at.

It was also my first go (trying again next Monday) so gives me a base to improve on - I was also knackered having just travelled 15km without actually moving on a bike/rowing machine :lol:

Synyster
FISO Knight
FS Record: Won a few prizes here and there..

Post by Synyster »

We're looking at well post 500 calories for this challenge. :D

Runnings not for me really, and I find the bike boring as.. but I'll give it a go at some time, theres way too many challenges on FISO for one to partake in them all and live a lifestyle on the side. :lol:

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

Fair enough, you should be able to get that time significantly down (shin splints permitting) even walking.

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

CanaryYellow wrote:Fair enough, you should be able to get that time significantly down (shin splints permitting) even walking.
What sort of times are you running (I'm assuming your still doing Marathon's) & what sort of times were you posting when you started. That should give us 'newbies' an idea as to how much improvement we can expect to make.

shogun
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Unbeaten

Post by shogun »

Did 10k cycle in 31 mins. 5k row in 25. Don't run much cos its bad for joints, but i speed walk, not timed myself yet.

MHiggi
FISOhead

Post by MHiggi »

On Wednesday I joined a gym for the first time ever, and I've just been getting to grips with the various machines so far (my arms ache). Today I thought I'd have a go at these, but it didn't quite go to plan.

First up I did the cycling where I was pretty pleased with my time of 18:59, but quite drained by it as well.

That didn't bode well for the rowing where I started far too fast and was dying before I reached 500m! I'll have to pace myself better another time.

Running I just set it to 12kmph so I did that in 25 minutes.

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Today I remembered why I hate doing this so much.

I reckon it was about 18 months ago when I used to do this and I probably completed it about a dozen times. But there were about 3 dozen failed attempts too - where I was too eff to finish or just couldn't be bothered.

5k row - 21m 14s. I've gotten used to the 2k row now so to slow right down to this pace is difficult at the start. I think I should just aim for about 21m45s and try to reduce my running time as I'm piss poor at running. Anyway, I set off reasonable pace but couldn't help myself and sped up dramatically for the last 2k.

5k run - set off at 8.6kph with the goal of staying there for the full 5km - even though I don't think I've ever completed 5k without a walk at some point :| Got to 3.1km but was really struggling, changed to 6kph for a min to get my breath back. Back up to 8.6kpm again but struggling again by 3.5km :shock: Another quick walk but by 3.9 I'm in trouble again and I'm dying for a number 2 :o Game over...

More pace management needed and remember to go to the loo before starting next time :|

After a toilet break decided to to a quick 500m row so as to at least achieve something, managed 1m 42.4s which was nice :D

padmole
Dumbledore
FS Record: Various bits on footy / cricket and golf

Post by padmole »

AKNel1 wrote:

In my defence its walking only for me - any sort of running gives me shin splints, doing a walk at 7kph is agony. However I think this is a good challenge that Hotpot posted for a couple of reasons, so I gave it a go to see where I'm at.

It was also my first go (trying again next Monday) so gives me a base to improve on - I was also knackered having just travelled 15km without actually moving on a bike/rowing machine :lol:

AK - Have you had your gait analysed to check your level of prontation. If you get this done then get appropriate running shoes it will help ease the shin splints. Ensure you get forefoot cushioning - WHat trainers do you currently have - If you say Reebok ! Please dont! LOL

Also - Get Ice cubes and continue to rub then along the pained area until the dissolve - that will further aide.

Synyster
FISO Knight
FS Record: Won a few prizes here and there..

Post by Synyster »

Must of lost a few lb from that visit to the gym then Hotpot? :lol:

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

tcf wrote:Must of lost a few lb from that visit to the gym then Hotpot? :lol:
No pain, no gain :wink:

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

padmole wrote:
AKNel1 wrote:

AK - Have you had your gait analysed to check your level of prontation. If you get this done then get appropriate running shoes it will help ease the shin splints. Ensure you get forefoot cushioning - WHat trainers do you currently have - If you say Reebok ! Please dont! LOL

Also - Get Ice cubes and continue to rub then along the pained area until the dissolve - that will further aide.
Where do I get my gait analysed - Doctors ?, should I mention this to my Physio (currently attending Back Action Group physio sessions).

What Trainers are recommended (muzzinho suggested Asics - never sure when he's on the rinse though)

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

AKNel1 wrote:5K Walk / Run 48.14 :arrow: 47.03
5K Row 25.44 :arrow: 25.42
10K Cycle 20.38 :arrow: 20.31

Total = 94.36 :arrow: 93.16

AKNel1 - 20.31/25.42/47.03 = 93.16

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Didn't know what to do with myself today at the gym - to many records to break :lol:

I didn't feel up to the triathlon but if I'm going to improve on my times I need to sort out my running efforts. So I skipped the row and went straight for a 5km run.

8.7kph for 5km = 34m 29s :D Managed to do the 5km without stopping for a walk for the first time ever :o Just need to do that at 10kph/30mins and I'll be happy :D

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

I'm going to do this tomorrow, the gym has been getting a bit boring lately - just to make you all feel super fast. :lol:

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I tried a 1 hour programme on the bike yesterday - over hills - resistance on 2/3 for 10 minutes , then 4/5 for 6 and then full on for 4 - got over the whole lot.

53 minutes done 23kms - on the flat bit at the end and got massive cramp and could not finish it!

Now I have to try again :cry:

I am now alternating my usual routine with some slower endurance type things - last night the bike - tonight might try an hour on the rowing machine - constantly plugging away at records does not seem to work for me - I am hoping some endurance work and technique may help in the long run.

I am still way off the pace that you guys are posting for the 10km rides - I am nearer 25mins than 20mins - need to up that resistance I assume.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

A couple of questions -

1) what resistance does the rowing machine have to be set at?
2) is it a 5 k run on the flat?

:D

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Richt wrote:A couple of questions -

I have the rower set to 10 - though I think if you set it lower it makes it easier to row but you go slower? Don't quote me on that?

For some strange reason I have the run set to an incline of 0.5 - though I doubt that makes any difference. A long time ago someone told me that a slight incline make it easier on the knees, I have no idea if thats true or if 0.5 counts as a slight incline :lol:

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

For some strange reason I have the run set to an incline of 0.5 - though I doubt that makes any difference. A long time ago someone told me that a slight incline make it easier on the knees, I have no idea if thats true or if 0.5 counts as a slight incline :lol:
[/quote]

I'm not sure if it makes it easier on the knees, but I was always told that to run at an incline of 0.5 was the easiest way to replicate running outdoors.

cherylhoney
Dumbledore

Post by cherylhoney »

Hotpot wrote:
Richt wrote:A couple of questions -

I have the rower set to 10 - though I think if you set it lower it makes it easier to row but you go slower? Don't quote me on that?

This is correct! Or at least I have been told the same by a few different fitness instructors.

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

What resistance do you have the bike at hotpot? Takes me about 16 minutes to do 5K on level 7 :shock:

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

-DC- wrote:What resistance do you have the bike at hotpot? Takes me about 16 minutes to do 5K on level 7 :shock:
I probably average level 11 at about 100rpm. I do sometimes move up a level or two for short spells, but I always return to my old faithful, level 11 :D

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

Man............Level 11... 100rpm :shock: Jesus. Ok will give it a bash. Don't think I'm going to get a good time. That is absolutely going to kill my legs :cry:

AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by AKNel1 »

-DC- wrote:Man............Level 11... 100rpm :shock: Jesus. Ok will give it a bash. Don't think I'm going to get a good time. That is absolutely going to kill my legs :cry:
For the 2K, I do level 8 & switch to level 6 when it starts to burn
For the 10K, I do level 5 & switch to level 4

Basically find a level where you can rpm at 90+. If/when you get comfortable at that level then bump it up - you and I are beginners at this DC, lets not kill ourselves, eh :lol:

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

I'm going to stick to the olf faithful level 7 on the bike for 5K until I get a bit fitter. Yeah don't want to leave the gym in an ambulance/bodybag :shock:

unc.si
Grumpy Old Man

Post by unc.si »

Are these indoor cycles all consistent in terms of resistance levels etc? I presume they use some sort of algorithm to equate cadence at a certain resistance with speed, but there could be quite a lot of variation between different makes of bike I guess? I've never really taken much notice of distance or speed on gym bikes as they're a bit artificial. Is there a standard make of gym bike, like there is for rowing machines?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”