To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Quit Smoking!

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Lister
Grumpy Old Baggie
FS Record: Won a few golf things a long time ago!!

Re: Quit Smoking!

Post by Lister »

I am still struggling to pack up but have cut out a lot of my fags.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Try the Nicorette Quick Mist - you actually get a hit from hit.........

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

11 :shock:

What got you started?

Gurn King 69
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Most quoted poster on FISO for the EIGHTH consecutive (and final) year. Apparently...

Post by Gurn King 69 »

29th Feb - great day to become a non-smoker again! :D After all, it only comes round every four years (which will make it easier to remember your quit date, should you want to remember the exact day!)

Big shout out to Blahblah who once pointed me in the direction of Champix. Nice one Blah! :D I'm still only on the first week of the course (ie. half-measures still) but haven't felt this much like a non-smoker before since the very first time 21 years ago that I picked up the filthy habit. And there's been a few quit attempts in that time! ;)

Now is not the time to regret all those cigarettes of course. Guess I'll just have to adopt a blasé attitude when I reflect on them, as I no doubt occasionally will...

Choo choo?

:twisted:

ShadyOne
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: DLA D-Cup runner up 2008-09, FISO25 cup winner 2009-10

Post by ShadyOne »

Quick question for those who have gone through the Champix method of quitting.

How common/bad is this nausea in the first week? Reason I ask is I'm supposed to start my course on Monday, the same day I'm flying out to Spain for 3 days. Obviously I don't want to be stuck in Espanyol on all fours, retching my guts up all over the shop, especially as it's a work trip and I should be putting forth a good impression! I did mention this to the 'naughty nurse' who's helping me quit but she didn't seem too worried.

Maybe best I postpone till my return??

Gurn King 69
Grumpy Old Man
Location: Most quoted poster on FISO for the EIGHTH consecutive (and final) year. Apparently...

Post by Gurn King 69 »

Shadyone, there's absolutely nothing for you to worry about! :D

The nausea is mild and will get you IF AND ONLY IF you take them on an empty stomach.

At least, that's my experience.

A glass of water? I wouldn't.

A strawberry flavoured protein milk shake? I did and didn't feel too good (so I had a banana and was "cured" in minutes).

The nurse I saw said "have at least one slice of toast".

Follow this advice and I'm positive you'll love them.

Good luck with the quit!

And shout if you have any further questions.

:D

ShadyOne
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ShadyOne »

Thanks for the reply GK, I'll make sure I take them with my lunchtome salad then.

Long overdue and looking forward to being smoke free in the near future.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Be prepared for some decidedly mad Dreams\Nightmares - but the AD's and sleeping Pills could have made these worse.

If they don't work for you then the Nicorette Quick-mist thang is excellent, and available on prescription......... You get a real hit\kick from them unlike the stupid sucker thang and the patches.

JOAQUIN
Cheetah

Post by JOAQUIN »

That is good to hear. I have been trying to get my oldman to quit for years.

ShadyOne
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ShadyOne »

Update: 16 days off the fags and for a heavy smoker, it's going relatively smooth with few urges to light up. The pills took about 2 weeks to properly kick in but have really taken the edge off.

I'd recommend these Champix pills to all and sundry who really want to give up. Definitely avoid taking them on an empty stomach though!

Gurn King 69
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gurn King 69 »

Good one Shadyone.

Keep it up - I know I didn't :oops:

(though I do have a small stockpile that I can't wait to tuck into again when the time's right! :D )

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Well done ShadyOne, keep it up. One day at a time....

gazwood
Dumbledore

Quit Smoking!

Post by gazwood »

I'm 10 months nicotine free on the 26th of this month, and I must say, I still miss it!!

Used the Champix for about 3 weeks, didn't really think they had much affect and so went cold turkey. Definitely feel healthier and hangovers are no where near as bad when I haven't had 40 cigarettes the night before, but my beer still doesn't taste quite right without the nicotine on the side!

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Good work for all who have stopped smoking.

These are meant to be very good if you are trying to stop the habit

http://www.skycig.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

It's not much, I know, but I'm 8 days in. That's the longest I've gone without a smoke since about 1997.

I quit drinking this year as well (February) and I've not touched a drop since (8 months)

So, smoking - 8 days quit
Drinking - 8 months quit

Don't miss drinking in the slightest but I do find myself wanting a cigarette at some point every day (right now as a matter of fact). I've not used any quitting aids whatsoever but I do have a secret reason to give up that I hope is enough of a motivator to help me stay 'clean'.

Well done to everyone else on this thread that has quit.

Gurn King 69
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Gurn King 69 »

Congratulations The Ton (and Gazwood :D)

A secret reason... There can be only one, eh?

Congratulations too on that if it's what I reckon it is! :)

Must be a month since I went back to my champix stockpile. I have about 20+ left and I take one every 5 days or so. I only smoke around others now (on occasion) *cough*.

:)

Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Post by Alchemist »

10 Months clean of the smokes - Patches for a couple of days then will power.

Have no intention of giving up the drink, have been to 12 beer festivals this year so far........ like my Ale far to much!!!

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

I initially got my dates wrong and today is my 1 year anniversary of being nicotine free. I must say, I'm only just getting over it but i must be over the worst now and ill be thankful of it in the long run. My alcohol intake as also taken a hit as a result (beer just doesn't taste the same without tobacco) so I suppose that's another tick in the box too!

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Loving your work folks :D

My sister gave up 20 years ago - still fancies a cigarette now and again but never does

crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Post by crispybits »

Up to 51 hours now (or at least I will be in about 15 minutes)

I want to tear my own face off with my fingernails right now (no gum or other quitting aids at all, just willpower going on here) but staying strong (popped down to the shop earlier to buy some food and successfully ignored the fag cabinet for about the third or fourth time since I stopped)

A couple more days and I know I'll be over the worst of it but I still want to shout and rant and scream and eat sugary snacks until I explode. First day I allowed as much junk and crap as I could eat, today I've been trying to get back to normal on food too but still succumbed to a chocolate bar and a packet of jelly babies. Tomorrow I will do my best to just have 3 square meals and 1 healthy snack.

What has been very nice has been not coughing my lungs up whenever I lay down to sleep (and I have been taking frequent naps this weekend to help with ignoring the cravings, though it doesn't help when you dream you're smoking....)

Anyway, ingore this post folks, I'm just ranting but I don't want to tell anyone out in the really real world as I find it easier to stick to this if I don't add expectations from other people asking about it all the time. Just wish me luck from behind your screens and whatever you do don't ask me how its going cos sod's law says you do that just at the wrong time and make me crave a fag :twisted:

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

good stuff Crispy. Inspiring me to pack it in.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

It's my one month anniversary today!!

8-)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”