To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Insect stings

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Insect stings

Post by Henry Chinaski »

Was woken at 4am by a wasp who decided to sting my hand. The death sentence was passed and was carried out a soon as the blighter was found.

I have been stung twice in 46 years which to me sounds quite fortunate, and never by a bee which I believe is much more painful.

Anyone never been stung? Stung on numerous occasions?

I was about 13 when I was last stung and forgot how painful it was and assumed it was just like a pin prick. I forgot about the poison bit. Still feeling the affect over 3 hours later.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Insect stings

Post by unc.si. »

Got stung by a bee whilst out on my bike last year. Doing about 25mph and it got stuck behind the top of my cycling glasses. Had to try and stop whilst keeping my eyes shut so it didn't sting me in the eye. Managed to stop safely but it had stung me between the eyes (was still stuck to me).

Never been stug by one before so was a bit concerned about how I'd react to it, but made it the last 10 miles or so home OK. Swelled up like a goodun through - looked like a Doctor Who monster when I got home. Took 4 or 5 hours before the swelling went down.

Wasp stung my arm at Alton Towers last year as well. Had the kids with me so had to just brush it off as nothing. Was a bit sore but not as bad as a bee sting

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Only ever been stung once and that was on the eyelid when I was about 13. To be fair I was flailing my arms at it and he got fed up.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Lucky it didn't sting what you were scratching in the night.

Never been stung. Theme parks are a literal hive of wasps and bees. The food court at Lightwater Valley recently was like a scene from a Hitchcock film. One young child got stung on the lips when drinking from a can of pop. Bet that hurt.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Insect stings

Post by TheTon »

WilBert wrote: One young child got stung on the lips when drinking from a can of pop. Bet that hurt.
I'm sure this has been used to kill off a cast member in a soap some years ago. Can't remember which one though.

Been stung a few times. Nasty feeling originally (for all of 10 seconds) then it's more annoying than painful. Not been 'done' by a Bee yet. Hoping to avoid that one.

I have been head butted by my dog a few times. That really does hurt..!!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

The original Lucy in the very early days of Neighbours got stung (in the mouth). Doctor Clive saved her with an emergency tracheotomy using a biro.

Is that the one you were thinking of?

mephisto
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The end is where we start from

Post by mephisto »

Been done by bees, sore but soon took to the wind...wasps not so benign, swelling and secondary infection but cleared in a few days...weaver fish can produce painful swelling but the real villain here is the false widow spider, found mainly in southern counties but spreading north. Check out some of images on goog for an insight into the trouble a wincy can cause. Most nature lovers wont have a word agin them but some people, quite a few react badly to the bite or suffer secondary infections that leave them bellowing like a crisis actor...we have many in the house and garden (devon) Like the white tail in australia there is controversy over whether or not it causes necrosis. Even the Natural History Museum lists 14 uk spiders that bite, the false widow is probably the daddy.

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

murf wrote:The original Lucy in the very early days of Neighbours got stung (in the mouth). Doctor Clive saved her with an emergency tracheotomy using a biro.

Could well be. Not sure without googling. Had a feeling it was in Home and Away, so that's close enough.

Regarding the false window, we caught one at my last work place. Nasty looking thing. Needless to say no one was willing to pick it up. Ended up in the old glass-and-coaster method and I swear it was rearing its front legs at everyone that looked closely at it!

mephisto
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The end is where we start from

Post by mephisto »

It does. Rears up like a mother-in-law with toothache, does agitation with purpose and energy. Seven species here most commonly nobilis, grossa and the tick-lookalike bipunctata. Nobilis seems to be present in most dramas and is the chief leg shaker when incarcerated in a wine glass.

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

murf wrote:The original Lucy in the very early days of Neighbours got stung (in the mouth). Doctor Clive saved her with an emergency tracheotomy using a biro.

poor girl, she also fell down a well and went blind

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”