To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

6 month wedding date countdown - My weight loss diary!

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
crispybits
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO Apprentice Champion 2011-2012, Xpert11 FBT winner season 7

Re: 6 month wedding date countdown - My weight loss diary!

Post by crispybits »

Nice work - 2lbs a week is good progress (and what you'll need to maintain for a while longer yet to get to your goal in time) and glad to see a loss after the comment you'd left in the other thread in midweek.

(You're losing the bet right now tho - you'll have to wait until Wednesday to find out how much by :wink: )

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Cheers CB

Where is that 5k runtime of yours? :wink:

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

No gym or indeed hard exercise of any form today or for the next few days (for reasons that will become apparent when I post my update on Wednesday - trying out something different this week) - will probably do it towards the end of next week sometime now.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Just a little video to help you plan

http://vimeo.com/82957931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Remember you are gaining muscle, while losing fat......

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

20k bike
07/01/2014 = 38m 14s
22/01/2014 = 37m 00s
06/02/2014 = 36m 40s
10/02/2014 = 34m 46s
Today = 34m 33s

It seemed a hell of a lot lot of extra effort today to only get 13 seconds off :oops:

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

Improvements get smaller and harder the better you get...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

jimmy ching wrote:Just a little video to help you plan

http://vimeo.com/82957931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And a golden oldie to cheer you on your way

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

5km treadmill
08/01/2014 = Only managed 3.5km :oops:
14/01/2014 = 30m 50s
22/01/2014 = 30m 16s
06/02/2014 = 29m 48s
12/02/2014 = 29m 45s
20/02/2014= 29m 21s
Today = 28m 42s

I normally try and do a 10km bike every time I go gym. But after the 20km max effort yesterday and todays run my legs were f**ked and I had to stop only 1.5km into the planned 10km cycle :lol:

dingram041
Dumbledore
FS Record: I've won a lot but proud to have been 7 balled my friend Milan Gajic. RIP xx

Post by dingram041 »

Good for you nffc....I did it a while back and got to 12st summat from 15st 12lbs....now work on nights and put most of it back on.....it's a real buzz, isn't it!!

As soon as I get to where I want financially, I'm doing it again.

Keep it going bud, I'm sure they will all be amazed at how well you look on your biggest day!

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

5km treadmill
14/01/2014 = 30m 50s
22/01/2014 = 30m 16s
06/02/2014 = 29m 48s
12/02/2014 = 29m 45s
20/02/2014= 29m 21s
25/02/2014 = 28m 42s
Today = 28m 33s

I still dont enjoy running but the good news for me is at my times get faster then the dreadmill is over sooner. :)

What is a respectable time for an average 31 year old bloke? under 27minutes?? :?: Or quicker? I have nothing to compare against except the superfit runners on the parkrun thread setting times of as fast as 19 minutes :shock:

By respectable I mean what Mr average would get? (discounting the superfit and super unfit)

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Chest
Day 1 = 50"
8th Feb = 47"
Today = 45"

Waist
Day 1 = 43"
8th Feb = 42"
Today = 41.5"

Nothing on the waist again but just as Blah kindly pointed out last time .... Another Bra size dropped 8-)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

nffc wrote:What is a respectable time for an average 31 year old bloke? under 27minutes?? :?: Or quicker? I have nothing to compare against except the superfit runners on the parkrun thread setting times of as fast as 19 minutes :shock:
Go to your local Parkrun page and look at the times of all the runners for the most recent run - they are split into age/sex categories - and don't forget even the person coming 'last' has beaten the thousands sat on their sofa or still in their pit at 9am on a saturday morning.

In my latest run there were 15 blokes between 31 and 34, slowest was 41:36. Middle was 22:27 so quite fast but these will mostly be keen athletes. I was 'only' 26th of 32 in my age category but I don't care! I beat over 150 runners (doing 27:14) and the many thousands still in bed. Your 28:33 would beat over 120 people (over 1/3 of the field). Just go for it - far better than a boring treadmill.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

At the moment it feels very rare that I am not working on a Saturday morning. But the next Saturday morning that I am free then I will go for definite.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

nffc wrote:At the moment it feels very rare that I am not working on a Saturday morning. But the next Saturday morning that I am free then I will go for definite.
You could always look at their course map and go and have a go / time yourself anytime you like. You can also look at photos of the latest run on there (usually) so can see the vast range of unfit riff raff amongst the superfit types.

Not sure where you live but this is the 'forestrec' one near where I used to live in Nott'm (where they have the Goose Fair)
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/forestrec/photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Im in between Nottingham and Derby.

Looking at the Parkrun site the nearest two to me would be either the Forest Rec one or Darley Abbey.

The Colwick one looks the most tempting though. Its around lakes so I am guessing it must be flatter compared to the Forest which is on the side of a hill.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/colwick/course/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that's the one for me

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Looks far more pleasant and there isn't as much of an issue with there being 2 laps of the same course

forestrec isn't that hilly (a flat 'plain' but with sloped sides) but any hill soon hurts - I set my 'PB' on my own 2 mile (undulating) practice run last night but the pace is still way below what I do on a flat 3 mile Parkrun

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

To attempt to keep up with Crispybits in our bet I felt that I needed a boost this week with the weight loss. So since Monday I have cut out all Carbs. No potatoes, Rice, Pasta, Cereal, etc at all. I had reduced them before but this week it has been to almost zero with solely a Veg and Protein week.

Day 1.
Weight: 19st 6lb
BMI: 33.16

Day 56
Weight: 17St 12lb
BMI: 30.37

113 days to go
Lost this week 4lb
Weight loss to date = 22lb
Target weight = 16st
Remaining to lose = 26lb

Its a good feeling when the first number changes. :D But I predict that getting below 17 Stone being twice as hard as it was getting below 18 stone. :?

And it's treat night tonight. Just a night in with the Mrs and a few glasses of wine. And again for my free meal night its going to be an Indian Curry as that is the main food thing I am missing the most. But no trip to the restaurant or reaching for the phone to get one. Homemade so I know what is in it with Wholemeal rice and a Garlic Flatbread from tesco

This one night a week keeps me motivated as I can count down the 6 alcohol free days to opening that bottle of wine. I have a free afternoon later so a big gym session is planned to earn the calories for tonight. Then back on it tomorrow with a Sunday lunch minus the potatoes and stuffing (basically chicken with rabbit food :( ) and a few hours walk in the peak district if the weather stays good.

Motivation for next week = Only about 2-3lbs to go before I am no longer clinically obese :P :lol:

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

Nice work mate!

One thing I am noticing with my weight loss is that the cheat days are doing less and less damage the lower my weight goes. I'm not sure if that's because I'm building more muscle by weight training instead of cardio, or if I just don't cheat as much on cheat days any more.

The other day (remember this is cheat day not normal) I had cereal for breakfast, a slice of pizza mid morning, a hot sausage roll for lunch, fruit for the afternoon snack, a decent sized portion of spag bog for dinner and a protein shake thing after the gym - I would have sworn that would have put 2-3lbs back on at least but I just barely rose a pound, and that came straight back off with interest the next day.

Are you finding the same?

padmole
Dumbledore
FS Record: Various bits on footy / cricket and golf

Post by padmole »

First time of reading your post - really good read and some fantastic results.
Im fat at the mo - all the golfing mob will vouch for that - even worse when yor 43 year old wife is a personal trainer and 3 hour marathon runner.
I would like to echo though that the running is easily the most calorie effective way to burn the flab nd the times you are posting are excellent to get involved and finish really well in park runs / 10ks etc.
Obviosuly due to your size it is really important to get quality, highly cushioned trainers (Get your gait analysed), but do try and get some outdoor runs in as that is where it really counts.

Keep it going - it is massively impressive and as for the 15 stone as opposed to 16 stone - isnt a 15 stone BMI that allows you to live another 5 years a fairly good incentive :wink:

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

crispybits wrote:
Are you finding the same?
I am not really having whole cheat days. Just Saturday evening is eat and drink what I want, for example today I have had Grapefruit with yogurt for breakfast, I have plaice with roasted peppers, Mushrooms and Courgettes in the oven right now for lunch and a couple of hours at the gym this afternoon.

Then tonight is my reward night but the more weight loss I have seen the less I want to eat crap on a Saturday evening, hence only a home made curry tonight as opposed to a trip to the local Indian restaurant. Admittedly the Saturday alcohol is still higher than most people could manage without having to get there stomach pumped afterwards but its still a massive reduction on before.

Cant say that I have seen it do any harm so far, I think its when one night a week starts to creep into two or three then that is obviously not going to work. Just as we witnessed with my mini relapse about a month ago :wink: :oops:

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

padmole wrote:First time of reading your post - really good read and some fantastic results.
Im fat at the mo - all the golfing mob will vouch for that - even worse when yor 43 year old wife is a personal trainer and 3 hour marathon runner.
I would like to echo though that the running is easily the most calorie effective way to burn the flab nd the times you are posting are excellent to get involved and finish really well in park runs / 10ks etc.
Obviosuly due to your size it is really important to get quality, highly cushioned trainers (Get your gait analysed), but do try and get some outdoor runs in as that is where it really counts.

Keep it going - it is massively impressive and as for the 15 stone as opposed to 16 stone - isnt a 15 stone BMI that allows you to live another 5 years a fairly good incentive :wink:
Thanks mate.

I'll see how I feel once I get to 16stone, I am quite tall so to me it doe not seem that excessive? But I'll emphasise that the target weight is just the target for the wedding date so I may want to keep going after. What is certain is that I definitely don't want to put the weight back on afterwards or return to my lifestyle of before as I feel good right now. I feel fitter than I have done for many years, the money I am saving is a great bonus and I look forward to my Saturday night rather than it just be an almost daily habit of parking the car up at home after work than a taxi straight to the pub for 14 pints followed by a midnight Kebab. :oops:

crispybits
Dumbledore

Post by crispybits »

I think with the target setting (or at least this is the way I'm approaching it) is that the scales are a good tool for keeping track of progress and monitoring what kinds of days have what kinds of effects, but in the end it will be the mirror that is the final judge of when I stop. My nominal target when I started was 17 stone but I've already adjusted that down to more like 15.75 stone on my tracker - but that's just numbers on a piece of paper and the ONLY way I'll know when I want to switch from weight loss to muscle gain (not huge muscle gain - athletic rather than bodybuilder) and then from muscle gain to maintenance will be by looking in that mirror and being happy with each stage of progress.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

nffc wrote: the nearest two to me would be either the Forest Rec one or Darley Abbey.

The Colwick one looks the most tempting though. Its around lakes so I am guessing it must be flatter compared to the Forest which is on the side of a hill
I walked the Derby one today at Darley Abbey with the dog and Mrs nffc, , there is one hill that I would not look forward to running up and a lot of it is on grass next to the river so its very very sludgy.

I am going to do a dog walk around the colwick one to check if that one is more unfit fat bloke friendly before committing to it.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

nffc wrote:I walked the Derby one today at Darley Abbey with the dog and Mrs nffc, , there is one hill that I would not look forward to running up and a lot of it is on grass next to the river so its very very sludgy.
They modify our course to miss out any waterlogged bits so maybe Darley Abbey too?? They haven't used one section of ours that floods for over 2 months! Start and finish line move every week so they are damaging different areas of grass!

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

5km treadmill
14/01/2014 = 30m 50s
22/01/2014 = 30m 16s
06/02/2014 = 29m 48s
12/02/2014 = 29m 45s
20/02/2014= 29m 21s
25/02/2014 = 28m 42s
27/02/2014 = 28m 33s
Today = 27m 48s

2k Row
08/01/2014 = 9min 47sec
11/01/2014 = 8min 25.2sec
10/02/2014 = 8min 10sec
Today = 7min 51sec

They both hurt like hell but I think I can do better with both. I tried to run below 27min 30s and went through 3km in just over 16mins (roughly 27min 5k pace) but I had to drop the speed as mentally I could not carry on at that pace and the man on the machine next to me kept giving me funny looks from the noises I was making. :lol: But thats 3 minutes now off my first embarrassing attempt 2 months ago :D

Happy to get under 8 minutes on the rowing machine :P It would be interesting to see what time I am capable of if I was fresh and I had not done a PB 5km run less than 10 minutes earlier

I don't think these are bad times to say I am carrying just under 18 stone of blubber ?

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

20k bike
07/01/2014 = 38m 14s
22/01/2014 = 37m 00s
06/02/2014 = 36m 40s
10/02/2014 = 34m 46s
24/02/2015 = 34m 33s
Today = 33 min 34s :D

I found this today the hardest and most painful one so far out of my bike, row and treadmill tests.

After I set the last time I thought I was going to find it impossible to beat it as I found it so so difficult. But 59 seconds off today :shock:

Just shows that "cant do it" is all in the mind, physically I am getting more and more capable with the equivalent of a bag of sugar or 2 less in excess weight to hinder me each week. I just have to keep pushing through the pain.....and now I have set myself another 'impossibley hard' target :cry:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Well done lard ass, do the kegs fit yet? :lol:

The bag of sugar is a good incentive, imho and cycling on a real bike is better than the gym and get a lil speedo thang. (Although I will be impressed if you can do nearly 40kph in real life for that long. Dig out a certain someone's thread about time trials :lol: )

Keep it up and I hope that "She who will have to be obeyed" is proud of you.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

blahblah wrote:Well done lard ass, do the kegs fit yet? :lol:
Not yet. :cry:

When I first tried them on then none of the buttons would do up, they were far from meeting! :lol:

Now I can fasten the bottom two but the top one is about an inch from doing up.

So maybe by the end of this month. :)

I am quite looking forward to having some new clothes to wear. I must have over 20 decent brand named shirts/tops in the wardrobe that I optimistically bought over the last few years but have never fit. They were too expensive to give away so I held onto them with thinking maybe in the future they will fit. :lol: hopefully that time is not too far away and ill have a load of never worn clothes for the hooneymoon without having to dip in my wallet!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I tend to go for this sort of motivation rather than scales etc. (I refuse to buy 36" kegs, having accepted buying 34" when I was 33-35ish.)

Maybe get a couple of shirts out and see if you can get into them?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”