To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Tonsils

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
stuboy
Dumbledore

Tonsils

Post by stuboy »

I'm on my way to the hospital as my wife has just come out of surgery having had her tonsils removed. According to the nurse who called me she's in a lot of pain (my wife that is, not the nurse - although the nurse may have been in pain too but she never mentioned anything) so they are keeping her in the recovery ward a bit longer before moving her back to the main ward where she'll be monitored over night.

Anyway she gave birth to our daughter (again my wife) without any pain relief and she said that was the most painful thing she had ever experienced. So on as scale between 1 and 10 how much sympathy should she be getting over the next few week or so for the pain she is suffering?

(Meanwhile my finger is killing me from this paper cut I got from opening the post this morning - really hurting!!)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Tonsils

Post by murf »

stuboy wrote:Anyway she gave birth to our daughter (again my wife)
Your daughter is your wife?

No idea how much sympathy the pain deserves but I would recommend acting as if it were a 9. Until you get bored or need to sort your fantasy football teams and predictions for the weekend that is - then it should be scaled down to a 0 (while pretending you are at 9 still).

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Buy lots of ice cream.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

This might help her feel a bit better:

Two sperm have just been spurted out.
One says: "Are we near the egg yet?".
The other replies: "I don't know but we have just gone past the tonsils."

Sympathies for the paper-cut, it could happen to anyone.....

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Treat her pain like an 8 or so but keep looking at your paper cut and wincing (especially if she squeezes your hand that has the cut). She is probably on pain killers so can't feel her pain anyway

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

stuboy wrote:I'm on my way to the hospital as my wife has just come out of surgery having had her tonsils removed. According to the nurse who called me she's in a lot of pain (my wife that is, not the nurse - although the nurse may have been in pain too but she never mentioned anything) so they are keeping her in the recovery ward a bit longer before moving her back to the main ward where she'll be monitored over night.

Anyway she gave birth to our daughter (again my wife) without any pain relief and she said that was the most painful thing she had ever experienced. So on as scale between 1 and 10 how much sympathy should she be getting over the next few week or so for the pain she is suffering?

(Meanwhile my finger is killing me from this paper cut I got from opening the post this morning - really hurting!!)
why are they keeping the nurse in the recovery ward if it's your wife that is in pain :?

I agree with the Ice cream comment - I love ice-cream.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

And she is staying in overnight - RESULT 8-) :lol:

"People have their tonsils out everyday" could he a helpful reminder to her that it isn't that bad :wink:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Tell he about that time you stood on a peice of lego ..........

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

...or an upturned plug

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote:...or an upturned plug
Ouch.

What happened to our list of the 10 most painful life events?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:What happened to our list of the 10 most painful life events?
I'm not sure but if looking for it don't bother with the search term "tonsils" (or "child birth")

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

post1414711.html?hilit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this one touches on jellyfish and wasps mainly - there was also a broken bone one somewhere.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Behave you lot, stu is asking a serious question and needs our help. The best way to show sympathy is to try and understand her pain, phrases like "I know how you're feeling, look at my finger" continue this process with every other pain you've ever had and eventually she will have gained enough sympathy that she will stop complaining. If this doesn't work suggest giving her a break from shouting and that you're willing to go out to the pub for a few hours.

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

Visited her tonight in hospital and admittedly she didn't look. She had a cold pack around her throat and was eating an ice lolly. Apparently her throat was hurting - so was my finger - but she didn't seem to care too much. They had her on some strong cocktail of Morphine and painkillers meaning she was fairly sedated so I had to do most of the talking.

She admitted that she had been scared of dying and not seeing our daughter again (it seems I wasn't much of a factor in her mind!). I tried to reassure her that death whilst having your tonsils removed is so remote she really shouldn't have worried about it - and in fact she is more likely to die from the MRSA bug whilst recuperating in hospital than the operation - apparently that didn't help her!

She asked me to check if there was enough ice cream in the freezer and I can now confirm that the new Magnum chocolate ice cream in a tub is amazing - I'm hoping my wife only wanted one to two spoon fills.

Oh and I think my paper cut my be getting infected - so had a couple of beers when I got in to take my mind off the pain. Seemed sensible.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

You appear to be coping well, while being suitably sympathetic.

It might be worth digging out the Will etc and finding out how much you would have got if she had karked it, not to mention any cash from the hospital. She may be interested in how you would spend it?

re the ice cream: it may be worth getting a few tubs of your favourite flavour? I woulds suggest banana, and I doubt that she will want any with nuts\sharp bits. Also all the crisps are yours for a lil while :lol:

Kroon12

Post by Kroon12 »

Thanks for sharing great information.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm going to randomly bump some of the "Good Old FISO" threads following viewtopic.php?f=18&t=125704

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

blahblah wrote: 26 Aug 2017, 13:40 I'm going to randomly bump some of the "Good Old FISO" threads following viewtopic.php?f=18&t=125704
If you wish to highlight some old interesting/ fun threads then please do not bump old ones, a new post in stuff or somewhere sensible containing links to whichever threads you select would be more appropriate.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”