To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Road Bike

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
pokergod
Treebeard

Road Bike

Post by pokergod »

I am looking to buy a road bike, a friend has tempted me to take on an ironman, though I am going to warm up with the 2014 half outlaw (if I get in) and then the 2015 full.

So, I need to get a bike really. Money is tight so I am looking at the B'twin

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-roa ... 39800.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody have one? Getting rid of one? Know a better one for similar price?

Any advice, hints, tips, thoughts welcome :)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Road Bike

Post by unc.si. »

If that's your budget then that's probably an OK bike, although I can't work out what gears it's got on it. Would expect something like Shimano 2300 at that price. Never heard of Microshift??

Decathlon are generally pretty good though

If you can stretch to £500 ish then you may be able to pick up a Spesh Allez with Shimano Sora or Cannondale CAAD 8 with Shimano 2300. They will be much better frames and groupsets. If £300's your limit then far better that than some supermarket or car shop BSO (Bike shaped object), although having said that Halfords do one or 2 OK bikes (Carrera's are OK for the money).

If you can find a second hand Allez then that would probably be your best bet.

You'll need to put some pedals on it as well, so factor in the price of some Shimano SPD's and shoes (Clipless pedals - will make a huge difference to your riding).

Good luck with the Outlaw training - you've got nearly 12 months to train. Bet you'll want a better bike by then...

You in Nottingham then if you're entering the Outlaw? If so I'll ask around to see if anyone's selling an old bike. PM me your size if so. If you are based in Nottingham then get yourself down to TFN in Beeston. They'll give you training tips and there's loads of triathletes there of all abilities so you'll be able to find training partners and they'll help you out finding a decent bike.

Good luck.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

by way of example - something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... 43be8481be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

would be a good buy if you could get it for a sensible price (£300?)

Or for a new bike this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... guy_165710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks good value

I'd probably prefer the Carrera over the Triban because of the gears (Shimano is proven and 2300 is a decent budget groupset - parts easy to get hold of as well).

In terms of gears, Shimano 2300 is OK, Sora is the next one up (9speed rather than 8, but otherwise pretty similar I think). Tiagra is one better (has 'proper' lever shifts rather than thumb down shift, ie you can change gears in the drops). You then get into 105, Ultegra and Dura Ace, which are incrementally better but out of your price range.

If you're just starting out, then you just need something that's OK to ride. A £200 supermarket or halfords 'special' will be stupidly heavy and will wear out fast and be uncomfortable to ride, with dodgy shifts and poor brakes. You'll end up skipping the bike training because the things just so bad to ride more than 10 miles or so.

You can get something reasonable but basic for £300 to £350. It'll be ok but I wouldn't want to do Ironman level training on it tbh. The entry point for a decent budget bike is probably about £600, but you should be able to pick up a decent entry level Allez, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Focus, Canyon or Felt for something like £500 in the sales at the moment (next years stock is coming in now so you can get some bargains on this years models).

Second hand is probably your best bet for a good bike on a budget, but it is buyer beware and you may end up forking out to replace worn out BB's, headsets, chains, cassette or worse, chainrings/cranks or mechs if you don't know what you're looking for.

pokergod
Treebeard

Post by pokergod »

Thanks unc.si.

Lots to think about and read up on :)

I am Manchester based.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

If you are prepared to ravel then you can get 2nd hand ones cheaper from daft places: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-A ... 1262669731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also Gumtree is a good place to look: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/felt- ... 1026675580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit: are proper pedals are a must have, and you should only fall off once, or twice or...... :lol:

Foxtrot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF Champion 05/06. Tinkerman weekly winner 12/13.

Post by Foxtrot »

Started road biking about 2 months ago. Its been a steep learning curve!

My steed is a Scott Speedster 20. Not cheap at a grand but really love it, already doing 50 miles in one go gearing up for Coast to Coast charity ride in Sept.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Or if you want to pay my return train fair......... :lol:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/felt- ... 1028752471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Foxtrot wrote:Started road biking about 2 months ago. Its been a steep learning curve!

My steed is a Scott Speedster 20. Not cheap at a grand but really love it, already doing 50 miles in one go gearing up for Coast to Coast charity ride in Sept.
Nice one. Enjoy the ride. Some great climbs in the Lakes - which of the passes do you go over (presumably not Hardknott / Wrynose or Honister). I did a coast to coast walk nearly 30 years ago and you do pass through some great countryside in the Lakes, Dales and NY Moors.

Speedster's are great bikes. The word 'Steed' is a pet hate of mine :lol: No idea why though - probably because of one person I know who insists on banging on about his 'stable' of 'steeds' with powermeters in the 'cockpit' even though he's only been riding a year but has about £15k's worth of bikes and associated kit in his garage, wears a team Sky jersey but you have to wait for him every time the road goes up. He's a typical google warrior 'expert' as well. Thinks he knows everything but really he's just all the gear no idea. One of these people where your heart sinks when he turns up on a ride. (ps nothing wrong with people that haven't been riding long - the more new riders the better, but buying a £8k Pinarello before you've even started riding does mark you out as a bit of a knob jockey). Sorry - rant over :lol:

My road bikes are a black carbon stealth bike (Dedaccia carbon frame built up with Campag Centaur gruppo and red tape / saddle that I built up myself a few years back - no decals) and a yellow Alu winter stealth bike (Kinesis frame, internal cable routing, Ultegra, black tape / saddle but no decals). I quite like the understated look (Probably why I like the Scott - classy looking bike, esp in black with black tape and saddle).

I've got a hardtail and fullsuss XC bike as well (tbh I've been MTB'ing far more than road biking in the last 18 months). A track bike will be next (they're building an indoor velodrome in Derby). n+1 :D

Presume someone's pointed you in the direction of the Rules by now: http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you can't manage them all yet then at least stick to Rule 5 :D

This is a great link as well:

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/some_an ... ever_read/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a bit of an antidote to the Rules :D

Foxtrot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF Champion 05/06. Tinkerman weekly winner 12/13.

Post by Foxtrot »

Agree that anyone in a Sky shirt looks like a d*ck!

Yes I was attracted to the understated look of the Scott, saw the range in the LBS and immediately loved them. Can't get excited by a bright red Spesh.

I don't believe we're going over any big Lake District passes but I did attempt Honister and Newlands whilst on holiday within a month of buying my bike - 25% grads nearly killed me!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Here we go again :lol: :lol: :oops:

I have been toying with the idea of changing the bike, to something a bit lighter and with more length from the saddle to handle bars (although only 5-10-11", I have little legs so feel more than a tad cramped..) so a Large, rather than a Medium?

The plan was to ebay\gumtree in December for the Xmas market and buy one in Jan, when people who have had a good Xmas sell their old one :lol: (I also have a Peugeot MB, which I do not use, with new Shimano Alivio chain-ring etc from the original being under recall from many years ago.)

However, while idly looking, I thought I would try to find out how much I could get for mine and behold the same one as mine is on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/giant ... to-content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The price seems a bit high to me?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Could just try it with a longer stem if its ok but just a bit cramped, ie if its got a 110mm stem change it for a 130mm stem and see if that feels better.

Or now isn't a bad time to buy a bike from a shop (new models coming in so this years get discounted). Has the advantage that you can check it fits before you buy as well.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

I have just bought a new bike which I absolutely love to bits. It's a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod. Sram Red kit and Dura Ace C24 wheels. What a joy to ride!

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

Triban 3 bikes are a hell of a lot lighter than the comparable Carrera bikes from Halfords

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/tech/bik ... y-for.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Neath boy wrote:I have just bought a new bike which I absolutely love to bits. It's a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod. Sram Red kit and Dura Ace C24 wheels. What a joy to ride!
Been treating yourself?

How's the Red gruppo? Never tried it - is it really as good as Dura Ace?

You sound like you've got some of your mojo back anyway. Hope you've been able to enjoy riding a bit more now.

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

unc.si. wrote:
Neath boy wrote:I have just bought a new bike which I absolutely love to bits. It's a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod. Sram Red kit and Dura Ace C24 wheels. What a joy to ride!
Been treating yourself?

How's the Red gruppo? Never tried it - is it really as good as Dura Ace? I have never ridden DA so nothing to compare with but love it now I am used to the double tap system.

You sound like you've got some of your mojo back anyway. Hope you've been able to enjoy riding a bit more now.
Since I have had it I just want to ride all the time! My annual mileage is up on the same time last year so yes I guess I do have it back! Only problem is I am now too scared to race on it!

john89
Kevin and Perry

Post by john89 »

WEll you can go for the Triban 300 Road Bike, White but if you are going to compare, i think you will get some better choice. Like you can check out Schwinn Men’s Phocus 1400 700C Drop Bar Road Bicycle. I found it very flexible. I have one. You can check out the review in here - http://roadbikehub.com/schwinn-mens-vol ... le-review/

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”