It is currently 19 Jun 2018, 07:21
View Latest: 1 Day | FISO Injury Search

Parkrun

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics
flyingkillercob
Dumbledore
FS Record: murf’s African Nations Cup 2012 Winner. FISO Goals 15/16 Winner.
FISO Goals: Score: 316 Position: 1

Re: Parkrun

Postby flyingkillercob » 10 Feb 2018, 11:59

When you're down beside the lake...

Went to Milton Keynes (Willen Lake) today and got wiped out by a bloody swan! Took my legs from under me as the flying menace and its buddies took off for the water. Other than homicidal wildlife, it's a nice course although a little too popular.

Congrats murf on reaching 200, that's quite some going.

murf
FISO Baron
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
FISO Goals: Score: 285 Position: 7

Postby murf » 10 Feb 2018, 12:21

flyingkillercob wrote:
10 Feb 2018, 11:59
When you're down beside the lake...

Went to Milton Keynes (Willen Lake) today and got wiped out by a bloody swan! Took my legs from under me as the flying menace and its buddies took off for the water. Other than homicidal wildlife, it's a nice course although a little too popular.

Congrats murf on reaching 200, that's quite some going.
I think Takeshi Kovacs (used to post a lot on here) was/is an MK runner.

Never been taken out by a swan before but have had a late start while the marshals herded them off the start stretch of the course (Great Notley back in Essex). Not easy with cygnets!

Have had to stop to let deer run across the course (Hatfield Forest, Essex) and also seen red squirrels a few times (Workington old course) and cows (loads at Hatfield Forest) but the only animals to try and take me out are the loose dogs of thoughtless owners (not parkrunners).

Bit slow today (had to sprint to get to the line in under 32) as the conditions weren't good. Icy and slushy in places to add to the 700ft of ascent, wind and rain (luckily eased off). All good fun!

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** ...Lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando...parkrunning
FS Record: 20 cash lg wins CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Postby Brightwater » 10 Feb 2018, 15:42

Last week at Pymmes I paced my 10yo grandson who is a bit faster than me. When I announced the 2.5k time he shot off like a bat out of hell and ran a massive negative split. I did my usual "sprint" finish, didn't quite time it right to catch a slow finisher, checked my last stride to avoid bumping and slipped on mud. I was mentioned in dispatches - the first time I have been compared to Jurgen Klinsmann! George's version: "Grandad fell over, I beat him". :mrgreen:

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Postby el_pappje » 23 Feb 2018, 22:02

Not done parkrun for a few weeks now, mmainly due to the winter lergy. Tomorrow I'll be doing my second 10k in preparation for my local half marathon on March 18th. Last week I ran my first 10k since 1998 and was chuffed to do it in 50 minutes :D Especially as I'd not run at all for a fortnight at least.

Hopefully this distance running will improve my parkrun times when I go back to it....

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Postby el_pappje » 17 Jun 2018, 09:58

Gosh - thought I hadn't seen anything on this thread for a while but didn't realise it had been this long!

Suffice to say that my half marathon was cancelled due to the second Beast from the East - it's now next weekend instead! Not been doing a lot of parkrun of late as I've been doing more in the way of 10ks. I've also realised I was massively undercooked for the March event, not helped by a fortnight wiped out with a bad back. BUt with a couple of decent long runs under my belt, I'm feeling much more prepared.

So it's the Wilmslow half next weekend, followed a week later by the Alderley Edge bypass 10k...and then I want to finally crack 23 minutes for my local parkrun!

murf
FISO Baron
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.
FISO Goals: Score: 285 Position: 7

Postby murf » 17 Jun 2018, 11:53

I've not been saying much because my Parkruns are all uphill and slow. Not sure about 23 minutes, been struggling to break 33 some weeks lately. 210m of ascent in the sun has been tough of late and won't beat my course PB of 29:55 in near future.

Doing some tourism next week. New venue for me but will 3 laps of a flat park just compare to ascending a Lake District hill?!

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Postby Neath boy » 17 Jun 2018, 17:24

First one on my regular course in 18 months. Wanted to break 22 and did 21-51 with negative splits.
My elder son put a minute into me with a 20-22.
I have only got back running in last 2 months and have now entered a triathlon in 6 weeks including sea swim! Gulp!

View Latest: 1 Day

Return to “Health & Fitness”