To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

NHS (personal experience rather than bigger picture)

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: NHS (personal experience rather than bigger picture)

Post by Groomyd »

Thick and too lazy to cook?

Thats why Mums shop at Iceland

(Frankie Boyle)

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

One time when Mrs Striker went back to Sweden for a couple of weeks, out of interest I investigated how cheaply I could eat well. Using a combination of the in-store offers (and I only used one shop) and common sense I was surprised how cheaply one could eat for.

So although without some current research I can't comment on your example, except to note that it still doesn't include making your own sauce which just by itself represents a major saving, I believe that if one puts the time in, both in sourcing and cooking, that my basic thesis is correct. But that is time that many working parents simply don't have unfortunately.

P.S. I've just seen Groomy's latest post and I fully agree with what he says.

P.P.S. I'm referring to his post before the Frankie Boyle one. :wink:

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Frozen meals are also made to taste nice with added crap and too much salt etc

We eat frozen fish (in batter) Kievs (sometimes homemade but often not) yet will put them with pasta etc.

It's all about balance

On Friday we are eating salad of marinated beetroot with truffle honey and goats cheese mash

followed by Venison with a pink peppercorn sauce, cavalo nero and dauphinoise potatoes :)

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

It is not laziness etc.
It is poor education, teachers are far more interested in pupils getting A+ in pointless exams in Art, languages etc.
We neglect our youngs education to such an extent that when they leave school/college they lack the life skills to survive in society.

And some of those lifeskills involve the basic ability to cook food, change a plug etc etc etc.

What do people expect those in society to eat other than microwave meals if they don't understand the basic elements of cooking.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Achiles74 wrote:It is not laziness etc.
It is poor education, teachers are far more interested in pupils getting A+ in pointless exams in Art, languages etc.
We neglect our youngs education to such an extent that when they leave school/college they lack the life skills to survive in society.

And some of those lifeskills involve the basic ability to cook food, change a plug etc etc etc.

What do people expect those in society to eat other than microwave meals if they don't understand the basic elements of cooking.
Whilst I would agree to a degree and think such thing should be in the curriculum, where do you put parental responsibility?

I helped teach my step kids to cook, iron, change plugs etc and am doing now with my 12 year old.

Some of my friends who I shared houses with in "drinking years" had no idea as they had been "over mothered" but they realised they had to and used me as a free trainer for cooking and other mates for stuff I'm crap at.

So we have parental and self responsibility...life is not a game and you get out what you put in

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Tricky Tree wrote:
On Friday we are eating salad of marinated beetroot with truffle honey and goats cheese mash

followed by Venison with a pink peppercorn sauce, cavalo nero and dauphinoise potatoes :)
eff me Iceland have upped their range recently :shock:

I don't there is much chance of the Tricky household having a crap diet - get yourself on Masterchef man! :wink:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

What's truffle honey :lol:

We have some truffle oil (expensive it is too). Goes beautifully on chips. Who says you cant buy class.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Tricky Tree wrote:
Achiles74 wrote:It is not laziness etc.

Whilst I would agree to a degree and think such thing should be in the curriculum, where do you put parental responsibility?

I helped teach my step kids to cook, iron, change plugs etc and am doing now with my 12 year old.

Some of my friends who I shared houses with in "drinking years" had no idea as they had been "over mothered" but they realised they had to and used me as a free trainer for cooking and other mates for stuff I'm crap at.

So we have parental and self responsibility...life is not a game and you get out what you put in
Agreed... Surely parents have to shoulder some of the life skills burden? It's sad that not all children are afforded this; but teachers/schools can't do everything.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Post by AkNotSpur »

Groomyd wrote:I don't there is much chance of the Tricky household having a crap diet - get yourself on Masterchef man! :wink:
Where (if the Kiwi version is anything to go by) every dish has to be seasoned to the hilt.

Without wishing to detract from the healthy eating debate, in some ways this is missing the point about healthcare resourcing. The key issue is the dramatically increasing demand because people are living longer; many to the point where body parts wear out and need replacing or repairing (knee and hip joints, etc). Rather than dying from sudden events such as heart attacks and strokes, more people are living to the stage where they will suffer long-term conditions, that require a lot of care, such as alzeimer's disease.

The sections of the population who - proportionally- consume the most healthcare resources are the very young and very old; the percentage of people in the later group is growing every year. I haven't checked the UK figures, but here in NZ 15% of the population is now 65 and over - 50 years ago it was 8%; the number of people in the 80+ group is expected to triple by 2052. :shock:

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

All true

But we also have people getting long term conditions younger - especially diabetes - and they then live a lot longer with them before they die requiring a lot more care

Obesity is the biggest problem facing us

Elderly patients are indeed living longer but there is much we can do to keep and support them to stay independent and healthy at home and not go in and out of hospital

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

It's a fair point. My mums knee is shot. She struggles to walk more than a 100 yds or so and stairs are a problem. But she's managing.

They basically keep fobbing her off, largely because new knees only last 10 years and the next one would be even harder to do. So if they do it too soon chances are she'll need another.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Post by AkNotSpur »

Groomyd wrote:But we also have people getting long term conditions younger - especially diabetes - and they then live a lot longer with them before they die requiring a lot more care

Obesity is the biggest problem facing us

Elderly patients are indeed living longer but there is much we can do to keep and support them to stay independent and healthy at home and not go in and out of hospital
Diabetes will always be a major health issue in NZ, because of the high number of Maoris and Pacific Islanders who suffer from it.

Long-term, shared, care and telehealth initiatives are underway here and not just to lessen the demand on hospitals. We are facing an increasing shortage of GPs, partly because the business-type funding model hasn't worked.

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Zimmerman wrote:What's truffle honey :lol:

We have some truffle oil (expensive it is too). Goes beautifully on chips. Who says you cant buy class.
Honey with white truffle shavings in...£5.50 for 45g!

Make truffle mayo with the truffle oil mate, splendid

Cheers groomy, lack the nads for going on it!

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

Op done and he stayed awake which surprised me :lol:

Up at 4am this morning crying like a baby with the pain...Groomy, I've told him within 48 hours the pain will ease ...tell me that's right!

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Is he taking ibuprofen?

Tricky Tree
FISO Knight

Post by Tricky Tree »

and codene still I think

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Make sure you take your drugs last thing and then keep some by the bed

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Only joking.

Hope it settles down soon. Horrible when your kids are in pain.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Mental Health is shite with the NHS: check out the dates and my recent post on viewtopic.php?f=89&t=71854&p=3022771#p3022771

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”