To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Walking boot advice required *on a budget*

A forum for general discussion on Health and Fitness issues and topics such as well-being
Five long bones
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Walking boot advice required *on a budget*

Post by Five long bones »

thebillfella wrote:
Five long bones wrote:Richt avoid Karrimor, they were excellent but they are now cheap rubbish, worse than hi tec, a Vibram sole is worth paying a little more for, check ebay for your size, it`s amazing how many people buy expensive boots and never use them, post a few links for prospective Boots and let the people who know have a look.
Really? :shock:

I've had a leather upper pair with Vibram sole for 3-4 years now and used for walking here in all conditions and in ski resorts in Europe. Never had a problem, still in one piece / good as new (apart from dirt!), provide plenty of comfort / support and leak free. Definately better than Hi Tec.

And at a cost where you can replace 2/3 times before you reach some of the other prices quoted above - great VFM IMO.
As I said they were great but are now owned by Sports Direct and are no where near as good I`ve had a couple of pairs of KSB s with Vibrams, they are poor now and trading on past reputation.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-BLACK-SI ... 589abb1d7b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will find a lot of these type of deals on ebay these will go for under 50.00.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

thebillfella wrote:
Five long bones wrote:Richt avoid Karrimor, they were excellent but they are now cheap rubbish, worse than hi tec, a Vibram sole is worth paying a little more for, check ebay for your size, it`s amazing how many people buy expensive boots and never use them, post a few links for prospective Boots and let the people who know have a look.
Really? :shock:

I've had a leather upper pair with Vibram sole for 3-4 years now and used for walking here in all conditions and in ski resorts in Europe. Never had a problem, still in one piece / good as new (apart from dirt!), provide plenty of comfort / support and leak free. Definately better than Hi Tec.

And at a cost where you can replace 2/3 times before you reach some of the other prices quoted above - great VFM IMO.
Sportdirect have been doing what they do best with karrimor over the last few years. Taking a good brand in trouble, exploiting the brand while letting the quality plummet.
http://store.karrimor.com/CustomerServi ... Conditions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

unc.si. wrote:Shoes ok for white peak. Boots for dark peak.

Personally I'd get boots as they give you more options.

Where in the Peak are you going? If you need to know any good pubs....
Staying in accommodation in Ashbourne.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

I stayed there last year Rich. Nice. Golden Hill chinese takeaway comes recommended :D

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

blahblah wrote:That she is taking you walking in the Peaks...
I think I get you..... because I am a fat bustard you think she should be taking me pie tasting? :lol:

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

WilBert wrote:I stayed there last year Rich. Nice. Golden Hill chinese takeaway comes recommended :D
Good to know, but the mrs hates chinese :shock:

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Richt wrote:
Groomyd wrote:Boom!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Merrell-Ventila ... 179&sr=1-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These would be great - £55

Loving the look of these!
I have had a pair of these for 8 years and still wear them daily.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Go Outdoors is always decent:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/walking/foo ... ell/sort/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Richt wrote:
WilBert wrote:I stayed there last year Rich. Nice. Golden Hill chinese takeaway comes recommended :D
They also do omlette.

(If you're self catering/have the kids then there is a Waitrose there and they do some really posh nosh as a treat)

Carsington Lake was worth a day out, plenty of activities http://www.carsingtonwater.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

WilBert wrote:
Richt wrote:
They also do omlette.

(If you're self catering/have the kids then there is a Waitrose there and they do some really posh nosh as a treat)

Carsington Lake was worth a day out, plenty of activities http://www.carsingtonwater.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just going to be the two of us. Well behaved dogs are welcome, so we will be leaving Porthos at home :D

Will take a look at Carsingtonwater.com tomorrow.

thanks

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

ALWAYS try them on first. Not a good idea to get straight off web.

I like Merrell shoes but often find they aren't right for my feet so have to say no.

I'd also stick to boots but I have dodgy ankles.

PS Spent a week near Ashbourne over Xmas. Walking was no more adventurous than Dovedale though :D Hopefully going back soon. Have previously lived in Peak District and had walking/mtn bike hols there. Lovely part of country.

Achiles74
Dumbledore

Post by Achiles74 »

If you buy cheap boots/shoes they will not last more than a year.
Better to spend 100plus on a good pair.

Scarpa SL are the best boots you can buy and will last for years.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/product-re ... t/573.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Ashbournes a nice little market town. Funnily enough, although its only half an hour from me I don't know it as well as deeper into the Peak. Prefer the gritstone moorland of the dark peak to the limestone dales of the White if I'm honest, although the white peak has to be one of the prettiest places in the country.

Near there, most head for dovedale. It really is a lovely place, but gets busy in the summer. Prefer millers dale, chee dale or wolfescote dale, cos they're quieter, but in feb dovedale is fine. The stepping stones are under water at the moment though.

Tissington is a nice place to wander for an hour. Like going back in time. Hartington is lovely. Great cheese shop, great cafe and a great pub (biggish one on the square).

I've got a soft spot for Wetton mill. Nice little tea room and near the fabulous Thors Cave. The river disappears into sink holes there. ive camped at Wetton mill next to the river, only to find that the rivers gone the next morning! I'd avoid the pub in Alstonefield though (nearest pub to Wetton).

If you hire bikes they've opened up the old railway tunnels on the Manifold trail. Tissington trail ends in Ashbourne as well. It's at the bottom, so it's uphill all the way put to Buxton but downhill all the way back. Only 2% gradient, but better to be downhill on the way home :lol:

Moneyash is worth a visit. Probably the best cafe in the Peak (the old smithy) since Lovers Leap at Stoney closed down. Maybe a tie with Woodbines cafe in Hope. Well worth a visit and Lathkill dale is a really lovely place to walk.

Carsington Water is nice( v close to Ashbourne as well) good cafe, nice walk around the perimeter (nice gentle bike ride as well - about 8 miles). Good pub overlooking it as well. The Knockerdown inn. Pretty decent food. I'd personally choose one of the dales to carsington, but depends what you want.

Sorry - you've probably got a plan already. I love the Peak though. I'm so lucky to have it so close. Just can't resist talking about it :lol:

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Ashers wrote:Go Outdoors is always decent:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/walking/foo ... ell/sort/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you will need to buy a discount card first (fiver for the year I think).

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

barry wrote:

Or just borrow someone's card.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Ashers wrote:
barry wrote:

Or just borrow someone's card.
aye, that would work :oops:

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Admin should have an apartment in Ashbourne.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Five long bones wrote:All shoes offer zero ankle support, leave it Groomy, I have 147 Munroes under my belt, your advice is dangerous.
I don't have that many Munroes but i do have at least 50

He isn't doing that though - he's walking in the peak district and the like - so approach shoes are more than fine.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Munroes?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Richt wrote:Munroes?
Scottish mountains over 3000ft (listed by Munro).

I've only done a handful - plus all 5 (or is it 4?) English ones.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Richt wrote:
blahblah wrote:That she is taking you walking in the Peaks...
I think I get you..... because I am a fat bustard you think she should be taking me pie tasting? :lol:
No, something more exciting - this can wait for 15 years, or so?

Munroes are some sort of hill-things :wink:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

murf wrote:
Richt wrote:Munroes?
Scottish mountains over 3000ft (listed by Munro).

I've only done a handful - plus all 5 (or is it 4?) English ones.
I've probably done 20 odd proper Munro's (ie in Scotland). Don't know which are the English 3000's. Been up Helvellyn, Scafell and Scafell Pike so presume that's 3 of them.

Did all the Welsh 3000'ers in 24 hours (about 16hrs in reality), back when I was younger and fitter. Nice route but a long day - around 30 miles.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

I did Pen-Y-Fan recently. Doubt its a munroe though :grin:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Richt wrote:I did Pen-Y-Fan recently. Doubt its a munroe though :grin:
No, it's nice though. Seem to remember you doing it, can't remember whether you said you did Fan Y Big as well. Well worth doing for titter value :lol:

Henry Chinaski
FISOhead

Post by Henry Chinaski »

I mentioned these on the other thread.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... 0AXqg4H4Ag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I now own a 2nd and 3rd pair black and brown which I picked up for £59.

I threw the original pair out that I bought 3 years ago and I walk daily to and from the train station which is a mile away. They have easily done John O Groats to Land's End and back.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

I can get you down to £80 for a pair of Meindl - not seen them much cheaper, as I said on the other thread these are the best walking shoes I have ever had.

http://www.rutlandoutdoor.com/b/328/Mei ... s+-+Gent's" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

saw me through 2 round the Island walks on Jersey without a hint of a blister.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

On balance I've decided to nip into Millets tomorrow to see what they have. Thanks so far for your comments.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Just been into town, tried these on. Very comfortable. But reading the reviews the longevity is questionable. But then, there are only 2 reviews and in my opinion most people only leave a review if they are unhappy? Probably will do the job for what I need them for.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mo ... e=18208804" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

I would strongly suggest you go and try a pair of North Face or Merrel shoes

Merrells will last last as long as it takes to wear down the sole to nothing - and the uppers will still be decent when you chuck them.

Richt
FISO Knight

Post by Richt »

Thanks for the suggestion Groomy, but I live in a market town where options are limited. I understand what you are saying about the Merrells, but the only ones I could find this morning were way out of my price range. I'd rather go with the options that I have tried on.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Health & fitness incl. well-being”