To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

life in the uk test (just for fun )

FISO's forum community quiz competitions including Caption challenges
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: life in the uk test (just for fun )

Post by blahblah »

"We" is GB.... GB and NI is a misnomer, only used for the odd sporting event.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Aussie friend had to do this test - read a few out at work to see how people did

It's of course silly - but you do get a book with all this trivia style info in it to learn - so it's far more a test of rote learning than anything to do with Britain or Britishness

You just have to learn the book to pass

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Groomyd wrote:Aussie friend had to do this test - read a few out at work to see how people did

It's of course silly - but you do get a book with all this trivia style info in it to learn - so it's far more a test of rote learning than anything to do with Britain or Britishness

Precisely.

Was it Norman Tebbitt who came up with the cricket test?

Try that on your Aussie mate....

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

She don't like cricket, oh no

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote:
Groomyd wrote:Aussie friend had to do this test - read a few out at work to see how people did

Precisely.

Was it Norman Tebbitt who came up with the cricket test?

Try that on your Aussie mate....
Yep. he claimed if you did not support England, then you should fck off back to the colonies....

vikipilenche

Post by vikipilenche »

These questions are actually hard - does this actually help anyone! http://uktestpass.co.uk/life-in-the-uk-test/

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I thought my first few were easy then it asked if most shops open 7 days a week. I said no and it said I was wrong.

I'm not convinced. ....

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

murf wrote:I thought my first few were easy then it asked if most shops open 7 days a week. I said no and it said I was wrong.

I'm not convinced. ....

I got that wrong too. I think most are still shut

Post by 4400 »

For those preparing for this test I strongly suggest https://lituktest.com/life-in-the-uk-test/ . Not many of you know, but the test has been updated, and it's now based on the 3rd edition handbook Life in the United Kingdom: A guide for new residents. Please stay up to date

Ali_James1
FS Record: Man Team

Post by Ali_James1 »

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has recently taken (and passed) the UK Citizenship test? I’m due to take it next month and getting quite scared that my application will be rejected. I come from a dangerous place for people of my persuasion and I REALLY don’t want to be sent back. I also don’t want to be on the run from immigration forever.

I’ve tried some practise tests but I keep failing them and I can’t find any sutable study materiels. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

http://www.theuktest.com/life-in-the-uk-test/1 has a fair few, but some of the questions are either vague\negotiable or freaking stupid.

Maybe ask here about questions\answers that you are not sure about?

Edwardranco

Post by Edwardranco »

Okay, respecting the subject title here I must tell you guys that do not be surprised if any question asks about the cricket world cup victory by England!

To spill the beans, England has never welcomed a cup into the urn so far.

UK resident 1
Cheetah

Post by UK resident 1 »

Edwardbranco, the uk citizenship test only includes a bit of information on sports and very little about cricket: Sir Ian Botham (1955-) captained the English cricket team and holds a number of English Test cricket records, both for batting and for bowling and a small section on cricket here: http://www.lifeintheuktestweb.co.uk/a-m ... g-society/.

HasanK
FS Record: 100

Post by HasanK »

Yes, not too much on sports but a good one on the first curry house in the UK. I passed and practised here: www.life-in-the-uk-tests.co.uk

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

HasanK wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 14:27 Yes, not too much on sports but a good one on the first curry house in the UK. I passed and practised here: www.life-in-the-uk-tests.co.uk

Using that link I did a test. Most of the questions wiil be answered correctly by anyone who lives here and keeps their eyes and ears open. I got 23/24. The question I got wrong was about how many thousand years ago agriculturalists first came "here", (I'd love to be able to go back and re-look at the question and see whether "here" was described as Britain, UK or whatever) and while that is a serious gap in my own general knowledge, I don't quite see its relevance for living in the UK in the 21st century. :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

No way would I get 23/24 despite getting the agriculturalist one right (guessed knowing it was pre-Stonehenge), especially as one was clearly wrong - there are clearly 4 crosses on the Union flag (even if only 3 of them represent other flags)

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

murf wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 16:02 No way would I get 23/24 despite getting the agriculturalist one right (guessed knowing it was pre-Stonehenge), especially as one was clearly wrong - there are clearly 4 crosses on the Union flag (even if only 3 of them represent other flags)
Of course there are only three crosses comprising the Union Jack. Apparantly in your junior school you weren't taught how it was put together and so you look at it and see a white cross (other than the Scottish Saltire one) and count four. Shame on you murf, you're supposed to be a pro nationalist, Britain's best off by itself, Brexiteer, and you don't even know even understand the basics. :lol: :wink: :lol: But of course you understand that the white showing through from the English flag isn't actually a cross and are just being a smart/silly Alec. :wink:

In fact if you're silly enough to insist on four, you'll probably meet someone even sillier who counts more than four as the English red cross breaks up the white background into more than one white cross. Similarly some other idiot might argue that the red Irish cross breaks up the white Scottish cross into more than one. Furthermore if you start permutating all the white lines you could finish up with a few more white crosses.

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

only 19/24 scored without guessing any. :oops: Much the same result as my FPL score most weeks.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Striker wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 16:44
murf wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 16:02 No way would I get 23/24 despite getting the agriculturalist one right (guessed knowing it was pre-Stonehenge), especially as one was clearly wrong - there are clearly 4 crosses on the Union flag (even if only 3 of them represent other flags)
Of course there are only three crosses comprising the Union Jack. Apparantly in your junior school you weren't taught how it was put together and so you look at it and see a white cross (other than the Scottish Saltire one) and count four. Shame on you murf, you're supposed to be a pro nationalist, Britain's best off by itself, Brexiteer, and you don't even know even understand the basics. :lol: :wink: :lol: But of course you understand that the white showing through from the English flag isn't actually a cross and are just being a smart/silly Alec. :wink:

In fact if you're silly enough to insist on four, you'll probably meet someone even sillier who counts more than four as the English red cross breaks up the white background into more than one white cross. Similarly some other idiot might argue that the red Irish cross breaks up the white Scottish cross into more than one. Furthermore if you start permutating all the white lines you could finish up with a few more white crosses.
If you actually look at the flag it only contains one cross (the red top-to-bottom, left-to-right one) and lots of little triangles which give the optical illusion of other crosses.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

17/24 and I guessed at a few of them too!!!!

Some I was just ignorant to, some I'd never even heard of.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Striker wrote:
Of course there are only three crosses comprising the Union Jack. Apparantly in your junior school you weren't taught how it was put together and so you look at it and see a white cross (other than the Scottish Saltire one) and count four. Shame on you murf, you're supposed to be a pro nationalist, Britain's best off by itself, Brexiteer, and you don't even know even understand the basics. Image :wink: Image But of course you understand that the white showing through from the English flag isn't actually a cross and are just being a smart/silly Alec. :wink:

It is still a cross. It is irrelevant how it was formed! (Bar the pedantry of the lines not actually crossing).

Guess I am more mathematician than historian.....

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

I think I got different questions

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

When were women allowed to vote?

They were voting in the 19th century if they were property owners and head of the household. Sometimes you can know too much. :oops:

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

jimmy ching wrote: 24 Sep 2017, 10:28 When were women allowed to vote?

They were voting in the 19th century if they were property owners and head of the household. Sometimes you can know too much. :oops:

That's a rather dodgy post. You need a lot more definition. As regards Parliamentary elections a handful of women were allowed to vote, prior to 1832, but the Reform Act of that year put a stop to that. So for the last 68 years of the century, which covers the majority of the 19th century, women could NOT vote in Parliamentary elections. Although a limited number who met certain criteria could vote in local elections.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Zimmerman wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 17:58 17/24 and I guessed at a few of them too!!!!

Some I was just ignorant to, some I'd never even heard of.
Same here - I can certainly understand question re. current democratic arrangements and things like what do you need to run a car, but what actual relevance is Magna Carta? It's a deterrence exercise, they should be honest about that.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Forum Quiz Comps”