To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FISO Swiss Cup 2019/20 - Registration Closed

A Forum for all Fantasy PremierLeague.com (FPL) Links, Mini-Leagues and Side Games (i.e. inter-FISO competitions run by FISO users)
Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

FISO Swiss Cup 2019/20 - Registration Closed

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Welcome to The FISO Swiss Cup!

The Swiss Cup is returning for another season. The format and registration process are exactly the same as last season - If you enter the H2H Leagues, you are automatically entered into this, but if you want to enter this without entering the H2H, then sign up below.

New players are most welcome, so here's what it's all about:

What is the Swiss Format?

The Swiss Format is a popular competition format for Bridge and Chess Tournaments, but it works for FPL as well. It is usually used when you have too many entrants for a Round-Robin League to be practical and you don't want a Knock Out Cup because that would mean sending most of your entrants home after just a few matches. The Swiss is a little bit of both. In the first round, matches are drawn either randomly or by some established ranking. The winners then advance to play other winners in the 2nd round (like in a Knock Out Cup), but the losers also continue to play against other losers. This continues in subsequent rounds with competitors being matched with an opponent with a similar W-D-L record, but you can't play the same opponent more than once. By the end of the rounds you usually finish up with the those at the top of the standings having played most of the opponents around them (like in a Round-Robin). The format is popular because the stronger teams/players tend to get thrown together early on, giving everyone a chance of keeping up, and a bad result or two doesn't necessarily wreck your chances of winning the competition.

Rules for the FISO Swiss Cup

The Swiss Cup shall consist of 9 Rounds followed by a Semi-Final and a Final. In each round you will play against a single opponent for 4 GWs. Each GW the difference in fpl points scored (after transfer cost is deducted) shall be converted into Match Points (MP), according to the following table, which are then awarded to the team with the higher score.

At the end of the 4 GWs the MPs are added up to find the Round Winner and the margin of victory is converted to Victory Points (VP) as follows:

In the first round the fixtures are arranged according to fpl ID (That's random enough and if there is a tendency for the better managers to have earlier IDs then that is in keeping with the philosophy of the Swiss Format). In the subsequent rounds teams are matched with opponents with a similar Victory Point score who they haven't played before.

If there are an odd number of teams then one of the lowest ranked teams will play against an AVERAGE opponent which scores the fpl average every GW.

An example, just in case it's not all clear:

In GW1 Player A scores a disappointing 37 points in fpl. His opponent, Player B, scores 75 points. This is a difference of 38 points, which converts into 12 Match Points awarded to Player B. In the next 3 GWs Player A scores 54, 75 and 62 points, while Player B scores 41, 68 and 42 points. The scores for Round 1 are now complete as follows:

Player A has a total of 18MPs against Player B's 12. This 6 MP margin of victory converts to 13 VP for Player A and 7 VP for Player B.
In Round 2 Player A will go on to play another opponent with 13 VP and Player B one with 7 VP.

MPs and VPs - What's the Point?

Match Points are a way of flattening out the scores a little so that a big result in one GW (say due to a captain pick or playing a chip) is less likely to result in an insurmountable lead, rendering the other 3 GWs almost irrelevant. Good, consistent scoring over several GWs will often score more MPs than getting the same score all in one GW.

Victory Points provide a further flattening of the scores, but they also normalise the field as each Round has a share of 20 VP. It sets an upper limit on how much of an advantage can be gained in a one-sided match. Note that it is your Victory Point total which will determine your position in the rankings - not the number of matches won.

The Finals

The following Tie-breakers are used to determine the standings of all the teams:

1. Victory Points
2. Rounds won
3. GWs won
4. Total Match Points
5. Match Point Difference (Total MP Scored - Total MP Conceded)
6. Total fpl Points
7. fpl ID (Lowest wins)

At the end of 9 Rounds (GWs 1 to 36) the top 4 Teams in the standings shall qualify for the Semi-Finals, to be played in GW37, with the top ranked team playing the 4th ranked, and the 2nd ranked playing the 3rd ranked. The winners of the Semi-Finals will play in the Final in GW38. Restrictions on not playing the same team more than once do not apply in the Finals.

Both the Semi-Finals and The Final are straight single GW contests. Most fpl points scored (after transfer cost is deducted) wins.
In the case of a tie there shall be a penalty shoot-out.

Penalty Shoot Out

In the Penalty Shoot Out the 3 Forwards in each team, regardless of whether or not they were on the bench, are ranked from highest GW score to lowest and compared with their counterparts in the opponent's team. The highest scores a penalty and is awarded a 'Score' and the lowest a 'Miss'. If they are tied then both score.

This is then repeated for the 5 Midfielders in each team.

Finally the active GW Goalkeeper for each team are compared and the higher of the two will be awarded a 'Save' which converts one of the opponent's 'Score's to 'Saved'. In addition each fpl save bonus point which the Goalkeepers earned in the GW will result in another 'Save'.

The number of 'Score's remaining are then totaled up to determine the winner.

If scores are still level then the process is repeated for the 5 Defenders, but no further GK 'Saves' are awarded.

If scores are still level after all of the Penalties then the higher ranked team during the season's 9 rounds is declared the winner.

Roll of Honour

In order to know who is the best all-time manager in the Swiss Cup all of your team's achievements during the season will be recorded in the Roll of Honour in the form of Honour Points. These shall be totaled up and carried over from season to season. Honour Points shall be awarded for the following:

For each Round won - 2 Points
For each Round tied - 1 Point
Bonus Points for finishing in the top 20% at the end of the season - 1 point for the team at the bottom of the top 20% and 1 additional point for each place above that.
Losing Semi-Finalists - 1 Point
Losing Finalist - 3 Points
Champion - 6 Points

Registration

Playing in the Swiss Cup will not require you to enter any fpl mini-leagues, so it will not cost you any of your slots.

If you are registered for the H2H Leagues then you are also automatically entered into the Swiss Cup. If you have entered the H2H but don't want to play in the Swiss Cup then let me know here, over on the H2H thread or by PM to me.

If you want to play in The Swiss Cup but not the H2H then you can sign up below with either your fpl link, fpl ID or an up to date fpl button.

(The FPL Team Link should be of the form https://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/xxxx/history, where 'xxxx' is your Team ID. This link, with Team ID, can be found in the URL on your FPL team page by pressing 'View Gameweek History'. Note that the link is slightly different from the last few seasons.

The closing date for registration is Wednesday 7th August.
Last edited by Talkie Toaster on 08 Aug 2019, 00:04, edited 2 times in total.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Re: FISO Swiss Cup 2019/20 - Registration Open

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Registered Players (Those not also in H2H)

From4Corners
Artius Stelio
sstaffsw
SirMattBugsby
bluenosey
Mystery
Last edited by Talkie Toaster on 27 Jul 2019, 19:42, edited 4 times in total.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Points accumulated in the Roll of Honour last season will roll over into this season.

Here's how it stood at the end of last season:

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

I have renewed the mini-league from last season. As stated in the OP it is not a requirement of the competition that you enter the mini-league, it is just a convenient way of keeping an eye on your opponents.
It would be great if everyone could join/remain in the league, but if you're struggling for slots then you are free to leave it.

andybarrell
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2013 Licence to Kill Winner
2019 S15 R2 Championship Winner
2020 FISO H2H League 1 Winner
2020 5aSide Champions (Falcons)

Post by andybarrell »

Yes please, button updated

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Thanks Andy, Although I already had you registered through the H2H. :D

Swagat 08
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Fantasy premier league player

Post by Swagat 08 »

Send me league code , Already Registered in H2H

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Swagat 08 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 02:55 Send me league code , Already Registered in H2H
Thanks Swagat 08.

I was going to send the code out en masse near the start of the season, but there's no harm in publishing it now also.
I'll just kick out anyone who I think shouldn't be there later. :mrgreen:

Joining Code for Swiis Cup League: fllrx4

jasonbek
Treebeard

Post by jasonbek »

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

jasonbek wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 22:10 I want to join. My Fpl:https://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/329903/history
Thanks jasonbek.

I forgot to make it clear that if you register for H2H as a new player then you'll still be in the Swiss Cup even if you don't make it off the reserve list into the leagues.

So you're in either way. :D

nemo7x
Treebeard

Post by nemo7x »

Talkie Toaster wrote:
Swagat 08 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 02:55 Send me league code , Already Registered in H2H
Thanks Swagat 08.

I was going to send the code out en masse near the start of the season, but there's no harm in publishing it now also.

I am in the reserve list so can I join now?

Edit: I have joined using above code so please register my team as new team here if my team doesn't make into the H2H league.

snakzz
Grumpy Old Man

Post by snakzz »

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

nemo7x wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 01:48
Talkie Toaster wrote:
Thanks Swagat 08.

I am in the reserve list so can I join now?

Edit: I have joined using above code so please register my team as new team here if my team doesn't make into the H2H league.
Yes, that's fine.

Everyone on the Reserve List is automatically registered. :D

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Reregistered
Thanks TT

(Shame you're keeping the HoF going though. Can't you do a 19/20 one then amalgamate? - it's a long way up from where I'm sitting!!!)

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Smurphy's Paw wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 15:21 Reregistered
Thanks TT

(Shame you're keeping the HoF going though. Can't you do a 19/20 one then amalgamate? - it's a long way up from where I'm sitting!!!)
:lol: :lol:
Thanks SP, you're in. :D

The RoH/HoF is just a bit of fun really to add a bit of interest for those out of the running for the top 4.
In a Bridge tournament you get awarded ranking points for every match you win or draw and a load more if you finish up near the top at the end of the tournament. These points then get added to your running total to determine your ranking as a bridge player. The RoH is just following along those lines, although I haven't gone so far as working out a ranking system.

Just in case there is any confusion, it's just the RoH points which roll over. Everyone's Victory Points start again from 0, so everyone has the same chance of winning the cup.

esqdo
Kevin and Perry

Post by esqdo »

I am interested to join the league (for now only on the reserve list in the H2H-league):

Beyond Athletic Club

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/15226/history

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

esqdo wrote: 11 Jul 2019, 14:18 I am interested to join the league (for now only on the reserve list in the H2H-league):

Beyond Athletic Club

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/entry/15226/history
Yep, You're in.
Even if you don't get into the H2H you're automatically included in this competition.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

I'll have another go please

goooner
Red & Blue Braces

Post by goooner »

TheBigLewandowski
Grumpy Old Man