To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Defender Advice

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Telegraph Fantasy Football Online Squad Manager (TFFOSM) - formerly TTF, TFFO & TPLO. For Telegraph Newspaper games see forums above.
mazzarak
Wideboy
FS Record: hopeless

Defender Advice

Post by mazzarak »

Have decided that Zat Knight is not going to win me many points at this stage, I am taking yet another plunge into the transfer market, with Gael Clichy as the big pay off.

I already have Cech and Schwarzer at the back along with Glen J, Tomkins (help!), Vidic and Finnan (it all seemed to make sense at the beginning).

I also have 0.3 in the bank and am keen on Vermaelen as the replacement, but where to spend the remaining 3.5

an initial thought of Ivanovic, but doubling up on Chelsea, plus will he stay in the team?
I already have Burnley cover elswhere, otherwise I'd go for Alexander, so as I look at it the logical choice is between Cuellar, Warnock, Assou-E, McCartney. I'm thinking Cuellar, unless there is a glaring reason not to...?

mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

Re: Defender Advice

Post by mike_d99 »

Hi Mazzarak,

Clichy is still injured, isn't he? Think he's out for a week or two yet, so you might want to hold fire with that.

Ivanovic would be one hell of a risky move - he's playing at the moment, but he's very unlikely to be anything more than a sub once Chelsea have their full-strength back line available. With only 15 transfers for the season you should be looking at a guaranteed season-long starter.

Not sure if Cuellar is likely to stay in the first team, I'd have thought Luke Young will be first choice once fully fit? Warnock is first-choice, but is a bit yellow happy for my liking. Probably the best choice out of those listed, though.

Assou Ekotto plays for Tottenham, nuff said. Cheap but doesn't get clean sheets! If you consider that he has only 19 points from 13 weeks so far, and 7 of those were scored in Week 1, with a further 6 in Week 13, that means he only scored 6 points from Weeks 2-12! I have him in one team, wish I'd not bothered.

McCartney...maybe. None of the cheapo full-backs are exactly leaping out as bargains, full back seems a real problem position this season.

Vidic has proven horrific value for money so far, maybe you could downgrade him to free up funds elsewhere. Seems a bit of a waste of precious transfers though....

Worm
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 5th TFFOSM 07/08, 466th FPL 12/13

Post by Worm »

Tomkins has quickly become a nightmare in two of my squads & I'm desperate to relieve him of his services. :evil: Did some homework & have noticed that Scharner has a very good run of fixtures leading up to Xmas. He loves to attack, & although Wigan have conceeded a few (mainly against the bigger clubs), their next 8 or so games sees them playing lesser fancied opposition & for that reason I reckon he's worth a shout opposed to Tomkins who is just making up the numbers :roll: For 0.3 mil I feel it needs stong consideration. Everyone is on to Dunne now so mixing it up may prove fruitful :wink:

........now what to do with Parnaby in my ISO squad (I was working on zero brain cells with that ingenious transfer) :lol: :lol: :lol:

mazzarak
Wideboy

Post by mazzarak »

thanks for the thoughts. Hasn't exactly made the choice any easier, as you point out, cos Clichy will be back soon (though I never entirely trust Arsenal's backroom staff to deliver).

Having got off to a blinder at the beginning by picking a squad with only 10 players playing, I'm already down to 9 transfers, so I'm reluctant to double up unless it's worthwhile. But Knight is a liability and has to go, which with 3.4 to play with leaves me with Scharner (getting Worm's vote) or Dunne (getting everyone's vote) or someone like Distin or Heitinga? (you'd have thought after playing this for four years I'd have got the hang of this by now... :oops: )

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 8th TFFO 2008/09

Post by Northernmonkey »

It's hardly been worth using any subs on defenders so far this season, the points they're picking up are peanuts compared with attacking players. I've had Fabio Da Silva sat in my ISO squad and he's still there but at 2.7m i can't see the point in taking him out now, he's not played since week 1 (apart from champs league :roll:) but still has more points than Vidic :shock: . Now is not the time to take out Vidic though, decent chance his points will improve from here on in.

As Clichy may be back soon it's probably worth just using the 1 sub to sort out the apalling Knight, my vote would be Heitinga. Despite a ropey start again Everton defenders always seem to do ok come the end of the season, plus he's cup-tied for UEFA cup which is nice. He also plays in a load of different positions including midfield and is a decent right back. My only worry with Clichy is if Gibbs nails it and he struggles to get back in the side. In which case I'd do your Vermaelen sub and Ivanovic would be my choice for full back out of those. He should get around 2-3 months in the side while Bosingwa's out plus the odd game after that.. there's a fair chance he'll score more in that time than the other full backs will all season :lol:

Worm
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 5th TFFOSM 07/08, 466th FPL 12/13

Post by Worm »

Worm wrote:Tomkins has quickly become a nightmare in two of my squads & I'm desperate to relieve him of his services. :evil: Did some homework & have noticed that Scharner has a very good run of fixtures leading up to Xmas. He loves to attack, & although Wigan have conceeded a few (mainly against the bigger clubs), their next 8 or so games sees them playing lesser fancied opposition & for that reason I reckon he's worth a shout opposed to Tomkins who is just making up the numbers :roll: For 0.3 mil I feel it needs stong consideration. Everyone is on to Dunne now so mixing it up may prove fruitful :wink:
........now what to do with Parnaby in my ISO squad (I was working on zero brain cells with that ingenious transfer) :lol: :lol: :lol:
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Not one of my finest moments in providing advice but he did score a goal giving me -2 instead of -7 :lol:

mazzarak
Wideboy

Post by mazzarak »

:D I was thinking that as I saw the result!

Have not changed anything yet, Knight was dropped, which means that he is actually scoring better as a result.

Fuseballah
Treebeard

Post by Fuseballah »

am tryna get rid of micah richards.. been wanting to replace him since...but thought would get some points for those city stand alone's gone by but he hardly features as i think hughes has settled for his back 4.

problem is, i don't know who for......

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football Online Squad Manager (TFFOSM)”