To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

VELOGAMES- Tour de France 2018 Now Open!

A forum for fans of Fantasy Cycling games (including Fantasy Tour de France)
sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

VELOGAMES- Tour de France 2018 Now Open!

Post by sibrown4 »

Just 8 days to go until the big one and the Tour de France Grand Depart from The Vendee, North West France.

Froome, Valverde, Nibali, Quintana, Landa, Thomas, Dumoulin. The big names are all here.

Sagan, Gaviria, Démare, Kittel, Groenewegen. The sprints will be evenly contested over 21 stages. Also throw in a stage of Paris Roubaix cobbles and we have a potential classic.

The League is open for entries. You have plenty of time to tinker. Deadline is Saturday 7th July at 10am.

League Name: FISO - TdF 2018
League Code: 625799615

www.velogames.com

Good luck!

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: VELOGAMES- Tour de France 2018 Now Open!

Post by jimmy ching »

Interesting developments with Froome.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Froome cleared by Wada and the UCI of all charges

“The UCI has considered all the relevant evidence in detail (in consultation with its own experts and experts from Wada),” read the statement. “On 28 June 2018, Wada informed the UCI that it would accept, based on the specific facts of the case, that Mr Froome’s sample results do not constitute an AAF.

“In light of Wada’s unparalleled access to information and authorship of the salbutamol regime, the UCI has decided, based on Wada’s position, to close the proceedings against Mr Froome.

“Whilst the UCI would have obviously preferred the proceedings to have been finalised earlier in the season, it had to ensure that Mr Froome had a fair process, as it would have done with any other rider, and that the correct decision was issued. Having received Wada’s position on 28 June 2018, the UCI prepared and issued its formal reasoned decision as quickly as possible in the circumstances.

The UCI understands that there will be significant discussion of this decision, but wishes to reassure all those involved in or interested in cycling that its decision is based on expert opinions, WADA’s advice, and a full assessment of the facts of the case. The UCI hopes that the cycling world can now turn its focus to, and enjoy, the upcoming races on the cycling calendar."

After the UCI’s statement, Froome said: “I am very pleased that the UCI has exonerated me. While this decision is obviously a big deal for me and the team, it’s also an important moment for cycling. I understand the history of this great sport – good and bad. I have always taken my leadership position very seriously and I always do things the right way. I meant it when I said that I would never dishonour a winner’s jersey and that my results would stand the test of time.

“I have never doubted that this case would be dismissed for the simple reason that I have known throughout I did nothing wrong. I have suffered with asthma since childhood. I know exactly what the rules are regarding my asthma medication and I only ever use my puffer to manage my symptoms within the permissible limits. I appreciate more than anyone else the frustration at how long the case has taken to resolve and the uncertainty this has caused. I am glad it’s finally over.”

Team Sky’s team principal Dave Brailsford added: “We have always had total confidence in Chris and his integrity. We knew that he had followed the right medical guidance in managing his asthma at the Vuelta and were sure that he would be exonerated in the end, which he has been. This is why we decided that it was right for Chris to continue racing, in line with UCI rules, while the process was ongoing. We are pleased that it has now been resolved.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... estigation

Team Sky said Froome was only 19% over the limit - not double as had been reported - when the adverse test was adjusted to take account of dehydration.

They also claim 20 other tests conducted on Froome during his Vuelta a Espana win did not need any "further explanation".

Team Principal Sir Dave Brailsford said he always had total confidence in Froome's integrity and that he was looking forward to helping him challenge for a fifth Tour de France.

"The same individual can exhibit significant variations in test results taken over multiple days while using exactly the same amount of Salbutamol," Brailsford said.

"This means that the level of Salbutamol in a single urine sample, alone, is not a reliable indicator of the amount inhaled. A review of all Chris’s 21 test results from the Vuelta revealed that the stage 18 result was within his expected range of variation and therefore consistent with him having taken a permitted dose of salbutamol.”

"Chris has proved he is a great champion - not only on the bike but also by how he has conducted himself during this period.

"It has not been easy, but his professionalism, integrity and good grace under pressure have been exemplary and a credit to the sport.

"The greatest bike race in the world starts in five days. We can't wait to get racing again and help Chris win it for a record-equalling fifth time."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/44679483
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 02 Jul 2018, 16:33, edited 3 times in total.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

:D :D :D :D :D

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

It just seems the test isn't that reliable or reliable enough in the view of the experts and legally the charges wouldn't stand up.

In light of Wada’s unparalleled access to information and authorship of the salbutamol regime just a few key points stand out..

"A review of all 21 test results from the Vuelta revealed that the stage 18 result was within his expected range of variation and therefore consistent with him having taken a permitted dose of salbutamol.”

And Sky's lawyers will have pointed out their case..

Froome was only 19% over the limit - not double as had been reported - when the adverse test was adjusted to take account of dehydration.

"The same individual can exhibit significant variations in test results taken over multiple days while using exactly the same amount of Salbutamol,"

Leaves Wada and the UCI open to legal claims from previously banned cyclists with lower test levels if the experts now agree the test is unreliable and can give such variation tbh.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

First time giving this a go, so not expecting much.
It will be interesting following it though. :D

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Talkie Toaster wrote:First time giving this a go, so not expecting much.
It will be interesting following it though. :D
Salbutamol or Velogames?

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm blaming my level of dehydration.
Fortunately there's an easy fix for that.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Honestly it was extremely dubious from the start and the leak just made it untenable - urine levels of salbutamol after 2 weeks of pro-endurance riding in Spain in August?

It might be argued you would be passing crystals under those conditions. Far too much uncertainty to be laying down pass / fail thresholds, 21 tests with 20 ok and one within the expected variation seems less than nothing, and then letting the
details into the public domain is massively incompetent and unforgivable.

Froome has been a mental colossus here - having this hanging over him and not only keeping his head together, but winning the Giro. Icy.

Maybe he shouldn't win the Tour as doubling up like that is massive, but I'm not so sure now, psychologically he will have the entire peloton in his back pocket.

The riders banned previously with far lower levels do have a real case now the experts have cast such doubt on the tests validity. They wouldn't have been fortunate enough to have the backing of Sky's legal team.

Interesting Wada's statement

Wada said it would not appeal against the UCI's decision to drop the case and explained: "Based on careful consideration of the facts, the agency accepts that the analytical result of Mr Froome's sample from 7 September 2017 during the Vuelta a Espana, which identified the prohibited substance salbutamol at a concentration in excess of the decision limit, did not constitute an adverse analytical finding."

It reached this conclusion after considering a number factors including "a documented illness", the natural variation of salbutamol levels in Froome's other samples and that Froome took "a significant increase in dose" shortly before the test, as Team Sky claimed he had on the advice of the team doctor, without exceeding the maximum permitted dose.

Wada regulations allow athletes to take part in a pharmacokinetic study - a controlled test of how a drug works its way through the body - but it said this was not feasible in Froome's case as it would not have been possible to "adequately" recreate the conditions in which he took the test in question.

Bronn
Kevin and Perry

Post by Bronn »

In, let's hope this one is as good as the giro

McBear
FISOhead
FS Record: FISO Scottish Open Winner 2015 - TFG Winner 2014

Post by McBear »

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Many apologies for this news, but it is for the best for my family and finances.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

McBear wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 23:50 IMPORTANT NOTICE
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Many apologies for this news, but it is for the best for my family and finances.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George
Just great - I bet that's the TdF themselves demanding some kind of payment for rights to use riders names or some such thing... :evil:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage🤬🤬

What else is there???. Is Zweeler or whatever it is called any good/free? Superbru is a bit simplistic. Anything else?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Gutted :twisted:

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

Gutted. I had the winning squad too.

TheJezster
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: mine

Post by TheJezster »

The tweets seem to indicate that its not dead...

Perhaps some hope?

hammerddh
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hammerddh »

game on Eurosport, wont let me create league though

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

Post by El Tel of Ealing »

George says he won't be commenting on this.
But it looks to me like ASO have launched their own fantasy game at letour.fr
Now this game is higher maintenance than Velogames with a possible captain change each day.It could exist alongside Velogames.
But one has to assume that ASO's lawyers have threatened George with financial ruin for copyright infringement.
Which,given how many Velogames races ASO owns,makes this a very sad day for Velogames.
ASO can join the UCI and WADA as institutions held in contempt.What hope for pro cycling with these idiots in charge?

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

How about joining the ASO league and Putting Velogames in the team names

Laudrup86
Kevin and Perry

Post by Laudrup86 »

Absolute joke!
Saw the official Tour game yesterday and decided to enter as a bit of fun alongside the Velogames (its a bit Mickey Mouse though - whats with Gaviria's price?)
Taken Jimmy's idea on and renamed my team to "I love Velogames"
Ho hum - taken a bit of sheen of my favourite three weeks of the sporting year.
Dont let em' grind you down George!

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

What I loved and most people that do my small stakes money leagues I always ran on Velogames grand tours (and the occasional minor tours) was the fact it equalled the playing field for both those who are not die hard cycling official-nardos nor have loads of time to follow fantasy games/teams closely - so the zero moves/transfers or anything that could be done once the start flag was waved was perfect.

I'm gutted as I think I been doing Velogames standalone tour Cycling games for over a decade and sure George was going well before I found his website.

I wont touch a rival fantasy game in protest and not even sure I want to watch the highlights each night now. :evil:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

This is so short sighted of Cycling organisations. I know many who started following cycling because of Velogames, me included. It helped me understand how it worked. I'm sure there are many more the same as me. This decision by those 'above' has put a damper on this years tour.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC 2012 T20 - 3rd in runs league

Post by Rick Spangle »

bluelionman wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 00:43 What I loved and most people that do my small stakes money leagues I always ran on Velogames grand tours (and the occasional minor tours) was the fact it equalled the playing field for both those who are not die hard cycling official-nardos nor have loads of time to follow fantasy games/teams closely - so the zero moves/transfers or anything that could be done once the start flag was waved was perfect.

I'm gutted as I think I been doing Velogames standalone tour Cycling games for over a decade and sure George was going well before I found his website.

I wont touch a rival fantasy game in protest and not even sure I want to watch the highlights each night now. :evil:

I'm with bluelionman on this.
I'm by no means a diehard fan of cycling, but the Tour de France is the ultimate event, and I watched it in the same sort of way as people who don't follow racing watch the Grand National - picking out a horse to support based on hardly any knowledge of the sport, maybe just because it's got a funny name. I put myself slightly higher than that :D (I do a little bit of research via betting sites), but if I've got no horse to follow, so to speak, I probably won't be tuning in much this year. And so TDF loses another viewer.
George - thanks for putting so much effort into your site these past few years, and I hope something gets sorted out soon.

the pom
Grumpy Old Pom

Post by the pom »

Gutted

Haven't we got someone clever enough to do our own points tally based on velo - if we post our teams - so at least we have our league

My riders

Allaphillipe
Roglic
Yates
Majka
Cavendish
Moscon
Van Avarmart
Kangert
Sagan

Went for the punchuers again & hopefully top 5 riders

Neath boy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Egg Cup Premier league champions 2011-12 and 2012-13. Fiso H2H PremierLeague champion 2015/16. FISO Super League regular season champion 2016-17.

Post by Neath boy »

Mine is:

Roglic
Valverde
Yates
Bardet
Groenewegen
Van Avermaet
Benoot
Magnus Cort Neilson
Colbrelli

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

El Tel of Ealing wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 17:48
ASO can join the UCI and WADA as institutions held in contempt.What hope for pro cycling with these idiots in charge?
Exactly El Tel, saw these a day or two ago.

WOW, you can see what the sky lawyers might be looking at - Possible major scandal

Article printed in full here as behind a paywall

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling...c ... wada-knew/

Froome has said it would be “scandalous” if it emerged that Wada had sat on unpublished data proving its salbutamol tests were not fit for purpose, although he stopped short of saying he would sue world anti-doping’s governing body if it emerged that it had.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph on the eve of the 105th Tour de France, which begins in the Vendée region on France’s west coast on Saturday, Froome was reacting to the developments of the last few days.

The UCI’s decision earlier this week to close its nine-month investigation into a ‘presumed’ Adverse Analytical Finding returned by Froome at last September’s Vuelta a Espana led to calls for the full, reasoned decision to be released, with many accusing Team Sky of having “bought justice”.

Cycling’s world governing body released a statement on Friday, however, reiterating that its decision to drop the case was based on advice from Wada who, it noted, had “access to information that the UCI does not, including ongoing and unpublished studies on the excretion of Salbutamol (which is - as confirmed by Wada Scientific Director - subject to considerable variations)”.

Asked about these “unpublished reports” and what evidence they might contain, Wada told The Telegraph it was not within its gift to make them public.

“Pursuant to the terms of the funding agreement with the research teams and Wada, it is the research teams that have ownership of the data/studies. Therefore, we cannot provide you with unpublished data either from completed or ongoing projects,” said a spokesperson.

Froome said he “very much hoped” the unpublished reports would become public knowledge in time, adding that he would like to know how long Wada had had access to them given how badly his reputation has been damaged over the last six months by an affair which was dragged into the public domain last December when it was leaked to the media.

Since the case closed, one scientist who was responsible for drawing up Wada’s threshold test has already publicly admitted the test is flawed.

“How long have they known this for? I’d love to know,” Froome said. “If it’s data they have had from the very beginning then it does make a mockery of the proceedings and it would be scandalous.”
Asked whether he would contemplate bringing charges against Wada or the UCI if that was the case, Froome said: “It’s not something I’ve ever really given thought to, especially on the eve of the Tour. I’m more concentrating on getting through the next few weeks.
“But to be honest, right from the word go, I knew I hadn’t done anything wrong. I mean, the [salbutamol] limit is 16 puffs and I went nowhere the limit. I mean, if I took 15 puffs maybe I would have been scratching my head saying, ‘Did I count right?’ But I was nearer to half that number. So I knew there was no way I could have been near 16. That from the very beginning has kept me going.”

Froome was generally in upbeat mood as he prepared to get his race under way, despite an unsettling reception at Thursday’s team presentation in La Roche-sur-Yon. The four-time Tour champion, who is chasing a record-equalling fifth title this year, found himself drowned out by a chorus of boos as he tried to answer questions on stage.
Froome, though, denied that the hostile reception had got to him. Nor was he worried about his safety over the next three weeks – with Tour security chiefs saying they will have more than 30,000 agents deployed to protect the riders.
“I have to block all that out,” he said. “I’m used to it. It wouldn’t be the Tour de France without a bit of edginess here or there. Hopefully the racing will be so full on there won’t be time to even think about anything outside of the race.”
Froome said he was thankful he was able to count on the support of his team mates at this race. The Daily Telegraph understands Team Sky’s riders had a World Cup sweepstake at the start of the quarter-finals, with Froome drawing hosts Russia. Colombian starlet Egan Bernal – Sky’s youngest rider in this race at just 21 years of age but someone who has been tipped to make a big impression in this Tour – drew England, while Geraint Thomas got England’s quarter-final opponents Sweden.

Froome said he expected the first nine days of the race to be “brutal”, certainly until the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix are behind them.
“It’s going to be about survival,” he predicted. “And not missing out on opportunities, particularly on the cobbles [stage nine]. Then, once we reach the mountains, that is when the racing will start.”
He finished by saying he was hopeful public opinion would change as the full details of the case emerged.

And he said he would gladly sit down with Bernard Hinault, France’s five-time Tour champion, who did more than most to whip up anti-Froome sentiment in the weeks leading up to the race, urging Froome’s rivals to strike if the Briton showed up in France.

“I’d shake his hand and ask if he wanted a drink some time,” Froome replied, when asked what he would say to Hinault the next time their paths crossed. “I really would. I’ve got on well with him in the past. And you can see from his comments that he has got the wrong end of the stick.

“I’m sure [the unpublished data] will be published. I would certainly welcome [Wada] to publish it. The sooner the better.”

With any pretence of 'not knowing' what was so evidently about to break the malicious and vindictive intent of ASO is quite galling. They really could be the sponsor of the race which brings the tour down to another level of infamy.

Even high profile rivals have started commenting

'Jonathan Vaughters, the manager of the Education First team of last year’s Tour de France runner-up, Rigoberto Urán, has voiced his concerns at the threats being directed towards Chris Froome.

“Reading comments on social media from people saying, ‘Since justice wasn’t served, by the UCI and Wada, we’ll serve it from the side of the road’, that’s basically an outright threat. And it does feel [the Tour promoter] ASO fired things up when it’s their responsibility to protect them.”....

..."Vaughters, a former teammate of Lance Armstrong, was a pivotal witness in the Usada investigation that exposed Armstrong’s systemic doping programme. Yet he is among the growing numbers within cycling who have attacked the lack of confidentiality in the Froome matter.

“The first thing to understand is that this was never a case,” he said. “It was a process to determine whether they should bring a case. And 99% of the time that happens behind closed doors, in complete privacy.

“In this case, it was public, which is really unfortunate and whoever leaked it — because somebody inside the UCI leaked it — it’s just nasty, vindictive behaviour to do that,” he said. “It doesn’t actually allow the system to work in the way that it should in a case involving a restricted substance, as opposed to a banned substance.”

Although under normal circumstances the athlete in such a case would be expected to undergo a controlled pharmacokinetic study, this was not insisted on by Wada in Froome’s case.

“I don’t know how you would replicate that [in cycling],” Vaughters said. “In any other sport in controlled environments it would be easier and you could, whereas with Froome it would have been trying to replicate the last week of the Vuelta a España. I don’t know how you do that. I think it’s almost impossible.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...u ... -vaughters

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

Post by El Tel of Ealing »

jimmy ching wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 17:52 How about joining the ASO league and Putting Velogames in the team names
I am just behind a VELOGAMES team,managed by none other than George himself.
Let's hope he wins it.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

El Tel of Ealing wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 14:25
jimmy ching wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 17:52 How about joining the ASO league and Putting Velogames in the team names
I am just behind a VELOGAMES team,managed by none other than George himself.
Let's hope he wins it.

👍👍

:D :D :D

Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Post by Alchemist »

From recollection

Dumoulin
Alliphillipe
Quintana
Pozzivivo
Garvia
Bennot
Calmejane
6 point sprinter...... Vanmarke i think..... was change from tony martin.
Gronewega

porgey
Red & Blue Braces

Post by porgey »

Thanks all for your support, and for sticking with Velogames over the last decade or more :D

Sorry for your league etc - it's a rubbish situation but I had to take a view on my top priorities over the last few days.

To be fair things have progressed quite well (since taking the game down :lol: ).

And was actually quite nice to enjoy yesterday's two WC matches with no updates pressure :D

All the best - I really hope you can join some Velogames leagues in the future, I just need to make a change in focus and strategy so everything is above board for those that really hold the power.

PS El Tel, I entered that team early and changed it to sprint heavy lineup to get near the top of the standings. Wont be close to winning I feel. Do you still live in Ealing? I've been here for over 10 years.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Cycling”