To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Velogames - Tour de France now Open!

A forum for fans of Fantasy Cycling games (including Fantasy Tour de France)
SPR
Dumbledore

Re: Velogames - Tour de France now Open!

Post by SPR »

unc.si. wrote:
SPR wrote:I still think if you're stronger on the last climb you win when the pace is high, the issue is, no one is stronger. The last time some looked like they might be stronger was 2014.
I'm not really arguing whether he's the strongest or not. The point is that if you have 5 teammates drilling it at the front at a pace that the group can only just live with, knowing that they can drop off and roll in 20 minutes later, no-one can attack. Froome wouldn't be able to attack the Sky Train if he was on another team. Its a team race (which just happens to have an individual winner), so its a perfectly valid way of winning the race and you have to take your hat of to Froome and Sky for executing the plan. Its just not very exciting.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying if the other riders are stronger than Froome they can still beat him even with that tactic. Many teams have drilled it on the front all day just for their leader to be dropped as soon as the attacking starts. At the end of the day, the strongest guy will find that pace the easiest and if I was that guy, I be happy for Sky to do the work of shedding the peloton.

Contador in 2014 might have been able to attack of a Sky tempo, Quintana at his best has shown he can, no one else has really shown the ability though. Froome himself has shown the ability to attack off that pace, and that was usually his MO in the first mountain stage in past races. Wiggins wouldn't win these Tours.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

SPR wrote:
unc.si. wrote:
SPR wrote:I still think if you're stronger on the last climb you win when the pace is high, the issue is, no one is stronger. The last time some looked like they might be stronger was 2014.
I'm not really arguing whether he's the strongest or not. The point is that if you have 5 teammates drilling it at the front at a pace that the group can only just live with, knowing that they can drop off and roll in 20 minutes later, no-one can attack. Froome wouldn't be able to attack the Sky Train if he was on another team. Its a team race (which just happens to have an individual winner), so its a perfectly valid way of winning the race and you have to take your hat of to Froome and Sky for executing the plan. Its just not very exciting.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying if the other riders are stronger than Froome they can still beat him even with that tactic. Many teams have drilled it on the front all day just for their leader to be dropped as soon as the attacking starts. At the end of the day, the strongest guy will find that pace the easiest and if I was that guy, I be happy for Sky to do the work of shedding the peloton.

Contador in 2014 might have been able to attack of a Sky tempo, Quintana at his best has shown he can, no one else has really shown the ability though. Froome himself has shown the ability to attack off that pace, and that was usually his MO in the first mountain stage in past races. Wiggins wouldn't win these Tours.
That is what happened on the day with the silly Vuelta style 20% ramp at the end. Sky pushed it all the way up, Aru and the others attacked on the final ramp netting about 20s.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

SPR wrote:
unc.si. wrote:

I think you're missing the point that I'm trying to make, or actually I think we're talking about completely different things.

Take one of the strongest riders (Froome), put him in the strongest team (Sky) and ride in a way on the key sections that makes it almost impossible for anyone to gain more than a few seconds. Its effective but dull.

It wouldn't work with a mediocre GC rider and it wouldn't work with an average team, but with Froome and Sky it suffocates the race.

Maybe if Movistar hadn't lost Valverde and if Quintana was in better form they might have made things a bit more interesting by shedding a few of the sky train earlier in the stage to even things up a bit, but we'll never know.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote: Philippa York is commentating? on what channel? Or was she just a guest on the womens one? Sorry to have missed that bit.
She did a couple of days in the second week and Thursday this week in London with Matt Smith. The first session was a tad awkward but probably more to do with a reputation for being a pain to interview, and some daft questions.... But she seemed more chilled, and humourous.

Loads of supportive "Tweets" seemed to relax Matt......

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Well done to TDF Bears for taking the Tour with a perfectly timed finish. I must say I'm quite happy with making the Le Tour podium for the first time. :D Peoples finished 2nd as he reminds Bagpuss he's not past it yet.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Well played to the 8 teams that beat me. Shame on the far greater number that I beat.
I didn't enter a proper team and had a whopping 6 cheap place holders I didn't want. Of the 3 sane picks only 1 made it to Paris. Shame on you all.....

SPR
Dumbledore

Post by SPR »

murf wrote: 28 Jul 2017, 21:09 Well played to the 8 teams that beat me. Shame on the far greater number that I beat.
I didn't enter a proper team and had a whopping 6 cheap place holders I didn't want. Of the 3 sane picks only 1 made it to Paris. Shame on you all.....
Your team had at least 5 decent riders to start TBF and Froome winning was massive.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Cycling”