To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Velogames Spring Classics 2017

A forum for fans of Fantasy Cycling games (including Fantasy Tour de France)
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Velogames Spring Classics 2017

Post by unc.si. »

Yes, one of the great rides.

They might make Phil an honourable Flandrien now :D

Pity about Sagan hitting the barrier. Very unlike him to be honest. Also a pity about Sep and Tommeke, but all part of racing.

Thought Sagan was going to really push on and make a chase of it with Gulden Greg and Naesens, but not to be.

Vlaanderens Mooiste indeed.

Round 2 next week, with a few crashes along the banks of the Schelde midweek.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Scanned through the key parts of the race again last night.

Race was all shaped by Sagan and GvA being too far back on the Kappelmuur. Don't know why they weren't further up. Bit of complacency maybe. Allowed QS to force the selection. Brilliant riding though after that, with Gilbert fully contributing for 30 odd km before going solo from 60k.

Really was one of the all time great rides by Phil.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote:Scanned through the key parts of the race again last night.

Race was all shaped by Sagan and GvA being too far back on the Kappelmuur. Don't know why they weren't further up. Bit of complacency maybe. Allowed QS to force the selection. Brilliant riding though after that, with Gilbert fully contributing for 30 odd km before going solo from 60k.

Really was one of the all time great rides by Phil.
Yep he has been riding very well all season (and I so nearly tipped him here :oops: )

Someone (sorry, pants with names) from Canondale went done in the escape group (maybe a front wheel caught in the concrete slabs) when Gilbert was in 1st two or three. This took out a fair few, and the Group had strong riders.... That also dropped a few QS riders back to disrupt the chase a bit; then Sagan hit a barrier leg, which also took down vA, when that group looked to be closing.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

it was Sep Van Marke that got tramlined on the concrete section. He's had a lot of bad luck - went down about 3 times in Strade Bianche and only just now back in form. Looked a nasty one tbh. Most bizarre crash was a [Korean?] guy that crashed at least twice before the hard stuff started. the second one I saw was a very undramatic slowing down as the riders tried to get onto a pave section and he just rode straight into the back of one of his teammates :D

Boonen's bike troubles were bizarre. 2 identical issues within 100m or so. On the Taaienberg as well of all places - Tom's favourite road.

Sagan took a calculated risk which didn't come off. They'll be debating in the bars of Oudenarde, Gent and Antwerp for as long as people are still riding bikes about whether they could have caught Phil :D

Those 3 riders, with a headwind - yeah you'd say that they'd catch him. Gilbert was on fire though so no guarantees at all.

Best rider on the day won the race. can't ask for more than that.

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

Post by El Tel of Ealing »

It was what looked a full-strength Vanmarcke who crashed solo and took out Rowe.These looked 2 of the strongest in that early elite group,each with a minder.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

unc.si. wrote:a very undramatic slowing down as the riders tried to get onto a pave section and he just rode straight into the back of one of his teammates :D
Yep :lol: :lol:

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/eur ... 01&yr=2017

"Are there no brakes on that bike"

SPR
Dumbledore

Post by SPR »

Vanmarcke wasn't winning. When Gilbert went, it looked like Trentin and Boonen were the strongest in the group despite the amount of work they'd done.

That said if Rowe, Vanmarcke, et al had been there when Sagan et al had caught the group, the chase would have been easier.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

In my dream race Tommeke didn't mash 2 mechs in 200m and marked a group with Sagan, GvA, Sep, Rowe and a few others. Phils valiant ride comes to an end when he gets caught with 3k to go and Boonen wins the reduced sprint to win the first leg of his Triple - Double before retiring as the undisputed greatest Cobble rider of all time and never having to buy a beer in Flanders for the rest of his life....

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

The last bit is probably true anyway, I doubt he even has to own a wallet.

SPR
Dumbledore

Post by SPR »

unc.si. wrote:In my dream race Tommeke didn't mash 2 mechs in 200m and marked a group with Sagan, GvA, Sep, Rowe and a few others. Phils valiant ride comes to an end when he gets caught with 3k to go and Boonen wins the reduced sprint to win the first leg of his Triple - Double before retiring as the undisputed greatest Cobble rider of all time and never having to buy a beer in Flanders for the rest of his life....
It would have been interesting to see what legs he had at that point.

I'd make him favourite for PR at the moment. Not seeing anyone stronger on flat cobbles as opposed to the cobbled climbs of Flanders. Quickstep just need to play it right, I don't think they need an early move here, just wear everyone down gradually.

And obviously need to avoid bad luck. Wednesday is a worrier TBH.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

SPR wrote: That said if Rowe, Vanmarcke, et al had been there when Sagan et al had caught the group, the chase would have been easier.
Yep: that was the point....

Gilbert has been very impressive this season, and attacked at the right place, imho. (I have only really gotten into road cycling again since he proved the WC jinx, so I've not really appreciated him until this season, and that was special.)

QS have mucked up a fair few Classics, but pretty much nailed it?

Looking forward to PR with Boonen fuming and Sagan a tad unhappy 8-)

Do I want PR wet or dusty?

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Completely forgot about ScheldePrijs. Presume it was just break, catch, crash, sprint?

Did read that they'd turned it into Boonenprijs this year. Staring in Mol, his granddad firing the gun, going past his school, old house and basically anywhere in the area connected with him.

Pretty nice touch really for his last race in Belgium. A fitting goodbye for one of the all time greats.

Now if he could only cap it all off on Sunday...

Tall order though. So much can go wrong on the roads to Roubaix. I just hope that his career at least ends in the Roubaix velodrome not on the side of the road in Arenberg.

SPR
Dumbledore

Post by SPR »

Well it's clear Boonen was strong enough to win he just missed the move. I'm not sure why he didn't go after GVA but maybe he'd done too much work to follow.

Disappointed.

SPR
Dumbledore

Post by SPR »

Missed the deadline to use my last three transfers :roll:. Got the top three but not much else.

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

Post by El Tel of Ealing »

Great stuff,Geoffv.You are the new bagpuss.
Talk about bridesmaids,that's 3 Fiso seconds in a row this season.Romandie beckons.

Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Post by Alchemist »

Giro's Open.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: RE: Re: Velogames Spring Classics 2017

Post by murf »

Alchemist wrote:Giro's Open.
Deadline = FRIDAY MORNING

Also mention of a combined grand tour comp.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Got a team in Giro just need a mini league number!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Cycling”