To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Do you ride?

A forum for fans of Fantasy Cycling games (including Fantasy Tour de France)
Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Do you ride?

Post by Alchemist »

Just thinking.....

Do You Ride?
Why do you ride?
Where do you ride?
How far?
What do you ride?

for me.....

Do You Ride? Yes
Why do you ride? Weight control, fitness and to get away from HER. started last year having not ridden a bike in 10 years+
Where do you ride? Road.
How far? Up to 40 miles..... aiming for longer as i get quicker.
What do you ride? This with 28mm road tyres....

Striker
FISO Knight

Re: Do you ride?

Post by Striker »

Why do you need to leave the house to get away from HER?

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Striker wrote:Why do you need to leave the house to get away from HER?
Because she doesn't 'ride'? Or other more platonic issues but perhaps that's for another subforum.

Used to ride a lot from one side of London to the other.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Not as much as I used to :-(

Travel a lot with work so don't get a lot of time.

Have a carbon road bike (Deda Frame, Centour Gruppo), Boardman CX bike, Boardman Hardtail MTB and Lapierre full suss MTB, plus a winter hack and odd frames and wheels that aren't built up at the moment.

Occasional rides on a track bike at the velodrome (as per avatar), some 20 mile-ish off road rides in the evening - only 1 a week really at the moment and sometimes get time for 50-60 miles on the road at the weekend. Been a while since I've done anything longer than that.

Hoping to ramp it up a bit over the summer and try and get fit again, but depends how much travel I end up doing. Keep meaning to take my bike over on work trips to Belgium to do some rides around Oudenaarde, which is pretty close to our office. Planning a 40 mile MTB ride in the Dark Peak later in the year so thats something to get fit for. Its pretty tough riding around there.

Why I ride - always have really. Just enjoy being outdoors. Best things have been trips to Belgium and Normandy with a group of mates. Nothing better than exploring under your own steam, being able to stop for beer, food or sightseeing whenever and wherever you want and go where you want, and a lot more satisfying than driving (or worst of all being part of an organised tour). Trips to the D Day landing beaches and the WW1 war sites round Ieper were fantastic. Years ago I did a 320 mile round trip to Llanberis to do some climbing (rode there Friday, climbed Saturday and Sunday and rode back Monday). Not sure I could do that these days!

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Took delivery of a Cannondale Synapse yesterday, I'm getting back on the road. Aiming for the 84 mile route of the Northern Cyclone through Northumberland in June and maybe build to something stupid next year.

Massive kudos to some top drawer customer service from Drakes Cycles in Leeds. I was on a budget and was searching online for the dog ends of last year's stock to get a bit more for my money. Found the 2016 Synapse with 22% off in my size with them. Ordered it at the weekend and they called me Monday to say it was in the warehouse 3 weeks ago in the stock take, checked the receipts and they've not sold it but it's just not there. bigger. However, rather than cancel the order they offered me the 2017 model at the sale price of the old one as an apology. So I've got a third off the new version! as it's list price is higher due to an upgraded frame.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Alchemist
Grumpy Old Chemist
Location: Finally in the promised land - Premiership Champions 2014 - Come on you Saints!!!!!
FS Record: Snoopy vs The Red Baron

Post by Alchemist »

Sounds like good customer service there MVL.... some places are great, some shocking - when you find a good one stick with them... I had problem after problem with the bike above, including a snapped frame!!! The shop I got it from helped - but minimally.

I went looking for a new one this year, and found a supplier - Greenwheels in Peterborough - they have been excellent - and I have upgraded to a full carbon Merida Ride 4000.... Roll On!!!!
Last edited by Alchemist on 08 Apr 2017, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Will be digging my 20 year old mountain bike out of the shed tomorrow. No fancy suspension bike for me.... not even front forks!

Geoffv
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 301st overall FPL 2013-14

Post by Geoffv »

My love affair with cycling only started in 2008 when My road running days were over when my knees started to give way. I got on a bike to strengthen the muscles around my knee and did the BHF London to Brighton in that year. I've had a target challenge ride every year since.

In 2010 I did the Poppy Bike London to Paris with the Royal British Legion (one of the guest riders was dear Graham Taylor. What a gentleman he was on that ride). I followed up a year later with the same ride. We formed a team of colleagues and friends and call ourselves The Green Army (http://www.greenarmy.club). Nothing to do with Argyle by the way.

Rides recently include a brilliant 4 Dayer Venice to Rome and the Prudential 100 in 2015. Carcassonne to Barcelona last year and this year am doing to rides in June. London to Paris and then probably my hardest yet. Geneva to Milan over 4 days across the Alps. All for Bloodwise the blood cancer charity. So far over the years we have raised in excess of £300k and targeting £45k for this year. Anyway I shall be doing the Hemel Hillbuster in the Chilterns this Sunday to get myself near ride preperation.

As for my bike I have Cannondale Hybrid and my road bike is Giant Defy Composite.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Those rides sound fantastic, esp Carcassonne to Barcelona. Finishing on Montjuic?
I know someone that rode from Milan to Geneva a couple of years ago and raves about it.

I tend to stay away from organised rides and organise them myself with friends. Snowdonia, Belgium, Normandy and this year we're doing a loop in the Netherlands.

Also agreed last night after a few too many Karmeliet Tripels to do a ride in 4 weeks taking in the Kwaeremont, Paterberg Koppenberg and some other Flandrien climbs. Not sure that agreeing to ride on cobbles with Belgians was the best idea I've ever had but it'll be an experience. My last attempt on cobbled climbs (a damp climb up the 23% climb of the Kemmelberg) didn't go well to be honest!

Geoffv
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 301st overall FPL 2013-14

Post by Geoffv »

I can see how great those rides are Si.

anyway have to share with people a wonderful evening I've had this evening. Went to a cycling network event in London organised by the Accountants BDO. The guest speaker was Magnus Backstedt who won Paris Roubaix in 2004. A shock win at the time. He told the story of his race with great enthusiasm. Got to. Hat to him afterwards. He lives in Wales now and his 15 year old daughter is breaking all kinds of records on the track at the moment!

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Brilliant. Big Magnus is a great guy. Married to a welsh girl I think. Neath Boy either rides in the same club as him or knows people that do.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Cycling”