To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2008 ATP Fantasy Tennis Season

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy Tennis games (including Fantasy Wimbledon)
bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

2008 ATP Fantasy Tennis Season

Post by bagpuss »

Its back, and it includes the clay court season this year :D

http://fantasy.atptennis.com/

Still only 5 tournaments per player which should make it interesting, especially with 3 Grand Slams involved

Starts with Monte Carlo on April 21st

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

Hi Bagpuss, noticed this on ATP site the other day and thought you might start a thread!

Glad to see its back and starting earlier this year as well. Ill be entering again and hopefully we can garner a few more enteries for a FISO mini- league?

Easy to play and only a limited knowledge of tennis required....

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

I thought Id be able to count on your involvement Cam!

Any thoughts on tactics this year? I can see there being huge variations in selections each week, and to do well is gonna need a lot of luck. I reckon the Masters Series are gonna cause the most problems - plenty of cash available, but you cant really afford to load up on the big guns with only 5 selections possible.

At the moment Im thinking that Nadal is a must for this week, and beyond that just stick to clay courters who have the potential to go far.

Edit - Glad to hear you got your team in!

Bit of a mixed bag for me this week, still a long season ahead:

Wawrinka
Nalbandian
-------------
Volandri
Seppi
Moya
-------------
Almagro
Acasuso
-------------
Nadal

Nestor & Zimonjic

Ferrer probably would have been included had he been in any other 1/4 of the draw than Nadal's. As it is I'm basically going against Federer and Djokovic.

A semi-final line-up of Federer v Djokovic & Davydenko v Ferrer, whilst good for the tournament, would be a bit of a nightmare for me!

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

bagpuss wrote:Wawrinka
-------------
Volandri
Moya
-------------
Acasuso
Great start :oops:

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

Robredo, Tommy
-----------------------
Moya, Carlos :oops:
----------------------
Youzhny, Mikhail
Almagro, Nicolas
Davydenko, Nikolay
-----------------------
Ferrer, David
Nadal, Rafael

Canas, Guillermo :oops:

Nestor & Zimonjic :oops:

Not a great start for me either, Canas isnt playing & Davydenko retired hurt on sunday so not sure what state he will be in. Still, long way to go yet.

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

Looks like the top 4 seeds all into semis, which means I'll be way down the leaderboard after this one. I still think that Nadal will win and that at least one of Federer and Djokovic are wasted selections, but a semi final Masters appearance (at worst) isnt a bad return from Davydenko.

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

bagpuss wrote:Looks like the top 4 seeds all into semis, which means I'll be way down the leaderboard after this one. I still think that Nadal will win and that at least one of Federer and Djokovic are wasted selections, but a semi final Masters appearance (at worst) isnt a bad return from Davydenko.
I agree entirely and am reasonably happy with my choices this week. Wouldnt at all be concerned about trailing far behind those that picked the big 3 this week.

idea
Treebeard

Post by idea »

Very confident there Cam23, you clearly don't think I am a threat. This tournament is the fourth equal best price money in the competition and making the semi's is better then winning 60% of the other tournaments listed.

Which master’s tournament doesn't see all the big guns turn out? Taking into account it is only the second time in history that the top 4 have made the semis in a masters tournament I am very happy with my return. I still will be able to play my top team in the majors

You can’t really believe you can pick the correct winner every week, isn’t a semi final good enough. High risk strategies don't work, solid points do

All the best of luck, but don’t write me off just yet.

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

idea wrote:Very confident there Cam23, you clearly don't think I am a threat. This tournament is the fourth equal best price money in the competition and making the semi's is better then winning 60% of the other tournaments listed.

Which master’s tournament doesn't see all the big guns turn out? Taking into account it is only the second time in history that the top 4 have made the semis in a masters tournament I am very happy with my return. I still will be able to play my top team in the majors

You can’t really believe you can pick the correct winner every week, isn’t a semi final good enough. High risk strategies don't work, solid points do

All the best of luck, but don’t write me off just yet.
Glad to see another Fisoer in this comp even if I seem to have unwittingly managed to rub you up the wrong way already! :shock:

My post was directed at Bagpuss and was coming from the angle that our decision not to include Federer & Djokovic was not the end of the world although obviously I would have rather they both hadnt made the semis.It was not intended to be a criticism of those that did choose all the big guns.

FWIW my thought process when choosing this weeks team was along the following lines:

Clearly its crucial in this game to get maximum value from your 5 picks of the top players. Taking Fed, Nadal & Djokovic - most I guess will choose all 3 for the 3 grand slam events leaving 2 choices left for each (6 picks in total). With 7 Masters events available my feeling was that it may pay to spread these 6 picks across the 7 events as much as possible with the hope of nailing a Masters Shield winner with each of my 6 picks - much easier said than done (& perhaps not even possible) I know but thats the theory!

As such and with Nadal my pick to triumph this week I decided to leave Fed & Djokovic on the bench in the hope that there may be better points to be had from them later on in the season - possibly in the 4 hardcourt Masters events where I reckoned that a final appearance or win was more likely from Fed/Djoko than on the clay.

Only time will tell whether or not that was the right decision and therin lies the beauty of this game. Wouldnt it be very dull if we all picked the same team & agreed with each other about everything. :wink:

idea
Treebeard

Post by idea »

No problem cam23, we just operate different strategies. I am a much more steady consistent player taking points when I can rather then chasing the big hauls, I am not confident in being able to pick winners each week and would rather have a solid base to start with.

I usually grind out wins, I imagine you win spectacularly or fall away sharply.

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

cam23 wrote:Clearly its crucial in this game to get maximum value from your 5 picks of the top players. Taking Fed, Nadal & Djokovic - most I guess will choose all 3 for the 3 grand slam events leaving 2 choices left for each (6 picks in total). With 7 Masters events available my feeling was that it may pay to spread these 6 picks across the 7 events as much as possible with the hope of nailing a Masters Shield winner with each of my 6 picks - much easier said than done (& perhaps not even possible) I know but thats the theory!
Must admit, at the moment my thinking is along almost exactly the same lines. I'm far more confident of the outcome of the clay tournaments, compared to those on the hard courts later in the year, and as such would rather leave some Federer/Djokovic selections for then. At the moment Im not considering either until Roland Garros, in the hope that Nadal will pick up all 3 Masters events on clay.

btw - on a seperate note, how great is it to see Coria in the draw for Barcelona? :)

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

And welcome aboard idea - Im glad it wont be just me and cam chewing the fat about this all year! :lol:

idea
Treebeard

Post by idea »

I must admit your theory is sound. I actualy think if the top 4 seeds hadn't have got to the semis I might have regreted my intitial plan.

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

Its not a bad theory, but the past week has been fairly shocking for me & Im currently down in about 6000th place! :lol: Might have been a different story if Nalbandian could have seen off Federer though.

Monte Carlo has certainly given you a good platform, but everyone at the top of the leaderboard will have to start spreading out the selection of the big players, or they will be needing some serious upsets by the time the season hits the american hard courts.

Just out of interest - who were your other selections this week?

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

I have created a sub-league 'FISO FORUM' if anyone is interested?

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

Cheers cam - have just applied to join the league.

I really wasn't sure what was the best tactic this week - in the end I decided not to touch anyone in Nadal's half of the draw, and try to get the losing finalist at Barcelona(:wink:) as well as the winner of Munich.

To be honest, I can understand why Nadal wants to play his home tournament, but it really is a week when he could take a break. Especially if he is gonna start taking the doubles seriously as well! :lol:

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

With Haas & Kohlschreiber withdrawing it looks like it'll be another rubbish week for me. Tbh Tommy was always a bit of a risk after last week. I need a big performance from the rest of my players now

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

bagpuss wrote:To be honest, I can understand why Nadal wants to play his home tournament, but it really is a week when he could take a break.
Agreed. I think even Nadal agrees given what he has been saying again this week but the scheduling of the european clay court season is plain ridiculous. Surely the ATP must do something?

Any clay court player (Nadal in particular when so likely to win) must be sorely tempted to chase the big ranking points on offer but to play potentially 6 weeks out of 7 on arguably the most punishing surface in high calibre events finishing with a grand slam is madness!

Nadal looked knackered last year in the final of Hamburg v Fed but managed to recover for Roland Garros. Would hate to see him burn himself out this year and fall short in Paris. Might he skip Hamburg this year ?

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

Trying to fit the olympics in certainly hasnt helped this years scheduling.

I guess if Nadal ever wants to be world number 1, his first priority has to be to improve on the previous years performance, and he has little hope of doing that if he doesn't clean up on clay. The irony being that he may well blow himself out half way through the season.

Hamburg is the one he's always least likely to win because of the conditions, and Federer has a great record there. Its always possible he will skip it this year, but then again, he has 350 points to protect from his final appearance last year (and he must also be looking over his shoulder at Djokovic).

I guess it all comes down to his priorities really, but I certainly wouldnt want to see him in anything other than peak condition at RG.

As for the fantasy competition, Im still tempted to select Nadal if he plays Hamburg. Even another final loss to Federer would still be a decent return. Problem is Id then have to avoid him in the US Open........... based on previous performances, would that be such a bad idea though?

kickrem
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: BILD Super-Manager Champion 2012/2013; You The Manager Champion 2009/2010

Post by kickrem »

This competition have a bad organization. I´ve got one player, Marcel Granollers Pujol, that doesn´t have the prize money of last weeks tournament, can you believe it? And he has disappeared from my eight players team...I´ve sent an e-mail last friday, but no reply...

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

If you look at the player list it shows how much money each player has won so far - Granollers-Pujol currently shows $0 (which is obviously wrong) so its not just a problem with your team

There were a couple of occasions last year when it took a while for the prize money to be allocated to certain players for some reason. I mailed them about it once, and they did take a while to reply - but the prize money was added eventually.

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

Another week, another clay court tournament, another Nadal victory ??

Its hard to see him losing and he was certainly the first name on my teamsheet again this week.

Was tempted to take a punt on Canas upsetting Federer again but decided against it at the last moment.

Played it pretty safe across the board in the end but as before will be hoping Federer and/or Djokovic get dumped out early.

kickrem
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: BILD Super-Manager Champion 2012/2013; You The Manager Champion 2009/2010

Granollers

Post by kickrem »

What a funny competition! Now, the prize money of M.Granollers-Pujol is there, but I don´t have that value in my earnings. When I check my team, I see the information that I only had 7 players during that week of Barcelona tournament. Is this a joke? I´ve sent an e-mail but no reply!

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

cam23 wrote:Another week, another clay court tournament, another Nadal victory ??
I would have expected so, but he looks like he's got a real game on his hands against JCF.

Like you I've banked on Nadal winning again this week. Would be a bit of a disaster if he loses early on, especially if Fed & Djokovic do well.

I've gone for a bit of a mix again - Just trying to get the balance between making the most of the big guns, and the lesser names who have got a good draw.

Managed to avoid Ferrer this week, and am hopeful of Bolelli getting past Roddick tomorrow, so things were just starting to look up - only for Nadal to struggle :evil:

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

bagpuss wrote:
cam23 wrote:Another week, another clay court tournament, another Nadal victory ??
I would have expected so, but he looks like he's got a real game on his hands against JCF.

Like you I've banked on Nadal winning again this week. Would be a bit of a disaster if he loses early on, especially if Fed & Djokovic do well.
:shock:

7-5 6-1 big upset !! Only his second defeat on clay in his last 100 or so matches!

Fantasy wise its a blow, thing is I suspect there wont be many out there who didnt pick Nadal so no loss from that point of view. On the other hand those that went with Fed will be laughing especially as Ferrer lost today.

The key now I guess is who will take advantage of the giant Rafa shaped hole in the bottom of the draw and pick up the big points on offer?

I have Davydenko & Robredo left in the bottom half so will be hoping one of them can make the final. Elsewhere Im pinning my hopes on either Gonzalez or Almagro upsetting Djokovic.

bagpuss
Grumpy Old Man

Post by bagpuss »

Well, it certainly makes the tournament interesting. At the moment you have to fancy both Federer & Davydenko making the final (which wouldn't be great for me - a few more upsets would be more than welcome!)

btw - who's the mystery third person in the FISO league? Its not idea or kickrem based on what they have posted

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

bagpuss wrote:who's the mystery third person in the FISO league? Its not idea or kickrem based on what they have posted
Don't know, anyone wish to own up :?:

met_matt
Wideboy
FS Record: 5th TFC 2005; 2nd TFC 2012; 1st TFC T20 2013; 1st TFC 2017

Post by met_matt »

cam23 wrote:
bagpuss wrote:who's the mystery third person in the FISO league? Its not idea or kickrem based on what they have posted
Don't know, anyone wish to own up :?:
I'm the 3rd person in the FISO league. Have been lurking for a while but haven't posted yet.
I'm having an awful week this week with only 2 players remaining :( - Davydenko and Robredo. Anyway its a long haul this competition I guess.

BTW I also had Granollers in my team last week and he's disappeared - I suppose they can't cope with the two versions of his name.

cam23
Red & Blue Braces

Post by cam23 »

met_matt wrote: I'm the 3rd person in the FISO league.
Welcome aboard Matt !

kickrem
Red & Blue Braces

Post by kickrem »

Hi guys, did you play other fantasy games? I play only tennis or football games. These are my favourite sports nowadays. I am hoping Davydenko and Gonzalez to go far this week. But Federer is the big favourite now. The prizes and the idea of this competition are very good, but the Granollers mistake (which persists) makes me sad.

Regards,

Rui

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Tennis”