To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Any Leagues need a team pre-draft?

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy National Football League (American Football) games
Brimar
Wideboy

Any Leagues need a team pre-draft?

Post by Brimar »

I'm in one league with friends, but would quite fancy being in another via Fiso, seeing I've finally got around to registering. If anyone is running a game that needs an extra team I might well be interested

Mark1886
Grumpy Old Gooner
FS Record: Tinkerman, average to poor

Post by Mark1886 »

I'm running a game on ESPN that would love to invite you. If you want to have a look at a mock draft here is the link;

http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/mockdraftlobby

If you want to join, PM your e-mail addy to me. Thanks, Mark

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

I've been challenged to set up a league for an American football game (I know nothing about the damn game). Not one to resist a challenge I set a league up. Draft is the 6th Sept, so need to hurry. Details below.

You have been invited to join Carl's fantasy football league (Brockville) at FOXSports.com.

To join the league, go to the Fantasy Football home page at FOXSports.com, click on the 'Join a League" button and enter the League ID and Password listed below.

League ID: 191992
League Password: helpme

http://msn.foxsports.com

You will receive a confirmation email with further details once you complete the registration process.

As I said earlier I know nothing about this game so should be easy to beat. So far there are 3 teams in this game, need 4 (min) to start Draft. League has a max of 12 teams, so others welcome to join and show me never to take this challenge ever again.

Angel
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Champion NFL winner 2006

Post by Angel »

Ive joined yet another game! the fox draft looks more intense than the NFL ones...... like picking LB`s ... this is going to be exciting.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

Post by dazedandconfused »

I've joined, I assume the draft is going to be set to online.

Thats a hell of a lot of defensive players in the roster :shock:

:?

Angel
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Angel »

dazedandconfused wrote:I've joined, I assume the draft is going to be set to online.

thats what i was thinking!

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

Angel wrote:
dazedandconfused wrote:I've joined, I assume the draft is going to be set to online.

thats what i was thinking!
Re Fox game. There are one or two messages on the league message board, where the chap that challenged me wanted things set up (don't ask why he didn't do it himself, I can't work that out either). His last one was this

"Publish league open to everyone,than when there is 4 or more, maybe tomorrow(or Monday) at 10 or 11 CET live draft?"

I'm not to sure about this live Draft thing. Not easy to get folk from all over the place on line at the same time. I lean towards the website doing the Draft but will bow to the majority vote. We need an even number before the Draft can go ahead, at the time of typing we have 7 teams.

I will say sorry well in advance here. I know little about the game and I'm fairly bemused by the web site. It was originally set up for the Brockville FPL league we are both in (hence league name), but none of the others have as yet joined. Any guidence and help welcome, not instilling much confidence I know, but I will do my best.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

blueprint wrote: Re Fox game. There are one or two messages on the league message board, where the chap that challenged me wanted things set up (don't ask why he didn't do it himself, I can't work that out either). His last one was this

"Publish league open to everyone,than when there is 4 or more, maybe tomorrow(or Monday) at 10 or 11 CET live draft?"

I'm not to sure about this live Draft thing. Not easy to get folk from all over the place on line at the same time. I lean towards the website doing the Draft but will bow to the majority vote. We need an even number before the Draft can go ahead, at the time of typing we have 7 teams.

I will say sorry well in advance here. I know little about the game and I'm fairly bemused by the web site. It was originally set up for the Brockville FPL league we are both in (hence league name), but none of the others have as yet joined. Any guidence and help welcome, not instilling much confidence I know, but I will do my best.
DON'T PANIC

I've left a message on the league board, I suggest you set the draft for the 6th at say 5.00 pm ET , that's 10.00 pm to us in the UK. If you set that now it gives everyone a chance to get ready and say if they can make it or not. Anyone who can't make the live draft will have their team auto picked according to their player rankings.

A live online draft is good fun, gives us the chance to all meet each other as there will be a chat box in the draft room. Auto drafts are horrible.

This is my first year doing any NFL games, I've only done Fantasy Baseball and Football games up to now. The 7th man, Chris who I persuaded to join, I know from fantasy baseball leagues we play in.

Angel
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Angel »

I love playing NFL fantasy games its usually the only time I come to the boards but it has other things *grin* ... ok I agree that a live draft is best! and I accept the time so we all can be together and banta and the fun is knowing Were you are in the draft pick! is the most fun of all.

Usually after the first few rounds it does get a bit dull because most of the players are the same but since we have to pick defensive and Line Backs, it might bring some more fun into the picking.

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

Re Fox game (again)
I altered max in league from 12 down to 8. As it looks like no more want to join and we must have an even number in the league.

Also the proposal is to have a live Draft on 5th Sept at 10pm GMT (all I have to now is to work out what time that is within the games set up. Not sure which US time zone it is set for.

I have also slightly altered (again) the roster size by request.

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

Just keep us updated with any future rule changes and the draft time please Blueprint.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

blueprint wrote:Re Fox game (again)
Also the proposal is to have a live Draft on 5th Sept at 10pm GMT (all I have to now is to work out what time that is within the games set up. Not sure which US time zone it is set for.
I believe the game time settings will be ET, we are on British Summer Time ( GMT +1) which is ET + 5.

For a 10.00 pm GMT draft subtract 4 and set for 6.00 pm ET, this will mean a draft time of 11.00 pm BST.

Confused ? I am :lol:

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

I have just emailed this to those in the league with emails showing, plus on league forum and now here. So everybody should know, what a pain in the butt this damn live Draft is. I see a brave soul has tried to do time converstions beofre I posted this. The results If I read it right are different to mine. I feel almost like asking one of you to start another league, get all league members to move to the new league and I just sit in the background (if you'll excuse this) all dazed and confused.

I went to make it a live draft and found that the only times it will allow me to pick are 8 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. ET (which if I have done my research correctly is Eastern Time i.e Washington DC)
I believe ET time is 3 hours behind us in the UK so this would mean the only times available would be between 11 a.m. and 7.30 p.m. GMT. I could be wrong about the convertion here, I'm sure there is someone more knowledgable out there.

You sure you don't want to do an offline Draft? Once it's done can't you just then change players?

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

blueprint wrote:I have just emailed this to those in the league with emails showing, plus on league forum and now here. So everybody should know, what a pain in the butt this damn live Draft is. I see a brave soul has tried to do time converstions beofre I posted this. The results If I read it right are different to mine. I feel almost like asking one of you to start another league, get all league members to move to the new league and I just sit in the background (if you'll excuse this) all dazed and confused.

I went to make it a live draft and found that the only times it will allow me to pick are 8 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. ET (which if I have done my research correctly is Eastern Time i.e Washington DC)
I believe ET time is 3 hours behind us in the UK so this would mean the only times available would be between 11 a.m. and 7.30 p.m. GMT. I could be wrong about the convertion here, I'm sure there is someone more knowledgable out there.

You sure you don't want to do an offline Draft? Once it's done can't you just then change players?
Offline drafts can only be done if everyone can gather together in a room and pick players that way or you carry it out by email (takes weeks) and the league manager then usually enters everyones team on the league site manually.

I believe you are thinking of an autodraft where we let our teams be picked automatically for us based on the rankings we have set. Autodrafts are horrible and messy ( more so with our roster with all the defensive players) so if it's at all possible to get the live draft set up then that is my preferred option.

Trust me, we in the UK are ET + 5. I watch live baseball games every day and day games starting at 1.05 pm ET are 6.05 pm current UK time (BST). If you want confirmation check the start time of the TEX v LAA game here http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp on the left hand side of the page which is 8.05 ET and is the live game on Five tonight, coverage starting at 0.40 am which allows for 25 minutes build up before the game.

If the latest you can set the draft is 4.30 ET then do that and be done with it, 9.30 BST (8.30 GMT) seems a reasonable time.

Edit :- I am so stupid. If you post a message on the Fox site it shows the time of message ET which you will see is 5 hours behind us.

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

Draft Type Live
Draft Date Tue, Sep 4
Draft Time 4:30 PM ET
Time limit 90 seconds per pick

Right I have started the timer for the live draft. Seems people (me included)want to get this done sooner rather than later. I did try and do it for the 3rd but the last time it would let me have was 2.30pm ET, which if the info in earlier post is correct would only be 7.30 in the UK. So I made it for the 4th as it would let me have 4.30pm ET which should be 9.30pm in the UK.

I hope this suits all?

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

blueprint wrote:Draft Type Live
Draft Date Tue, Sep 4
Draft Time 4:30 PM ET
Time limit 90 seconds per pick

Right I have started the timer for the live draft. Seems people (me included)want to get this done sooner rather than later. I did try and do it for the 3rd but the last time it would let me have was 2.30pm ET, which if the info in earlier post is correct would only be 7.30 in the UK. So I made it for the 4th as it would let me have 4.30pm ET which should be 9.30pm in the UK.

I hope this suits all?
This will be interesting, I have a draft at 7.30 and 9.30. I'll just line up the paracetemol :lol:

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

Any tips for someone who has never done a Draft before let alone has any idea who the players are? :shock:

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

blueprint wrote:Any tips for someone who has never done a Draft before let alone has any idea who the players are? :shock:
There are some decent Rankings, Projections and Cheatsheets here http://fftoday.com/ plus average draft position here http://fftoday.com/rankings/07_adp.htm (although this doesn't include defensive players).

The default rankings aren't too bad so you could do worse than taking the best available. I think It's going to get a bit scary for everyone after the first 10 rounds because of the large number of defensive players anyway.

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

thanks for the tips, I will check it out later.
I have just posted this message below in response to a message on the league board about too many defensive players.

"As you may have noticed I have no knowledge of NFL, I don't know what is a good or a bad roster. I know, you are thinking 'then why did he start an NFL league', damn fine question but not one to answer here.

I have been guided by Sander (Black Army Knights) who's fault this league is, I guessed he knew what he was talking about. Yet here and on the FISO forum some have moaned about the number of defensive players (I have no idea why, but assume you do). I am more than willing to alter the roster numbers again (and for a final time) as long as there is some agreement on what these numbers are. I will look back at some postings and try and see if there was a pattern to requests. Anybody else have a thought on this?"

just a reminder the live draft is sept 4th 9.30pm gmt

edit: just add another message to league board
Current Roster
Quarterback (QB) 2
Running Back (RB) 2
Wide Receiver (WR) 2
Tight End (TE) 2
Running Back/Wide Receiver (R/W) 1
Place Kicker (PK) 2
Defensive Line (DL) 3
Linebacker (LB) 3
Defensive Back (DB) 3
IDP (IDP) 3
Bench (BN) 6
Total Roster Size 29

Sander suggested 5 IDP and drop DL,LB and CB
Adam suggests 2 DB 2 DL and 2 LB (and I guess no IDP's)

I have no idea what is a good view point, I'm guessing both have their merits. I do need guidence from maybe a third person to pick a middle ground if there is such a thing here? and what about size of other positions QB,K, TE etc and the bench?

Maybe if there is going to be much chat about this game/league it needs it's own thread, rather than hijacking this one? Or just us games own mini forum?
Last edited by blueprint on 03 Sep 2007, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

We "moaned" because we have never played a game in which you draft defensive players, we allways draft the entire team. I am quite looking forward to drafting them as individuals so i would suggest you leave the format as it is.

Pm arriving your way shortly to help your draft too...

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

I had commented on the large number of defensive players, not a moan it just makes it an unusual and more challenging game ( that's spin for 'I have no idea who I'm going to pick' ) :lol:

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

Hey, not fair to post answers while I'm editing my last post. :)

Now I'm really getting confused, you don't like so many defensive players but want them to stay as it more of a challenge. You mean I will strugle even more than I thought I would, oh great! :shock:

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

blueprint wrote:Hey, not fair to post answers while I'm editing my last post. :)

Now I'm really getting confused, you don't like so many defensive players but want them to stay as it more of a challenge. You mean I will strugle even more than I thought I would, oh great! :shock:
I actually spent a couple of hours yesterday sorting through IDP's to give me some idea of who might be worth picking so I'll be extremely miffed if you now reduce the numbers as that will be another couple of hours of my life wasted :wink:

Seriously though, I'm happy either way. I appreciate that you set this league up with little time to spare and with no NFL knowledge so the fact that we are good to go and have a live online draft set up is all kudos to you.

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

again from league mini forum. any views?

Sorry to sound like a nag, but i'm just worried that if we have 12 defensive players per team, then we wont be able to cover ourselves for injuries and bye weeks, esp seeing as the bench is only 6 deep as it is.

For example, if a team's star LB and DB were to get injured, then that would compromise their team without them being able to do much about it. Yes, they could be dropped, but when they're again healthy, then another team could snag them and end up with a much better team than others, which would make it less of a competition.

I still think 2 of each of DB, DL and LB would be sufficient. (this is still more players than most IDP leagues actually have). I just feel that if it's not like this, then it could end up getting a bit messy, esp when bye weeks come along.

Again, sorry to sound like a nag, i'm not an old woman, honest ;-).

Chris.

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

What I posted in league forum

Look guys, I have read and tried to digest what you've been saying. Basically it boils down to this.
2 FISO forum votes for no change
2 this league votes for change but different types of change(so 1 vote each)
1 vote (me) for not changing as I'm lazy and confused enough already.
3 non votes so they I have to guess are also happy.
So this means things stay as they are now. The only minor change I will think about is the time per pick in the Draft. 90 seconds don't seem too long but I can see it could take forever. Any views? I will check when I get home from work tonight and before the Draft, see what folk say.

Other than that see you 9.30 GMT

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

blueprint wrote:The only minor change I will think about is the time per pick in the Draft. 90 seconds don't seem too long but I can see it could take forever. Any views? I will check when I get home from work tonight and before the Draft, see what folk say.

Other than that see you 9.30 GMT
The 90 seconds is a maximum time allowed for each pick, so it won't be as bad as it might seem. I for one will pretty much pick according to how I have ranked the players so my picks will take no time at all, at least in the first half of the draft. I'm sure this will also apply to Chris and maybe some others as well. My guess is the draft will probably take about 2 hours which is not unreasonable IMO.

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

90 seconds is actually plenty of time. Its the default time in the nfl.com game (you cant alter it as far as i am aware) and only once did i get into a flap regarding the clock and that was my fault in the first place for not preparing myself properly.

Basically as your turn approaches, jot a list of 2-3 players you will choose from and when it reaches your turn you can pick from your very short list.

Can someone explain what IDP is please? I cant find it anywhere. Do we actually have 23 players playing for us each week including 2 QBs?

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

CanaryYellow wrote: Can someone explain what IDP is please? I cant find it anywhere. Do we actually have 23 players playing for us each week including 2 QBs?
IDP = Individual Defensive Player , so you can put a DB, DL or LB in these positions, it's your choice.

Yes we have a 23 man starting lineup each week including 2QBs

blueprint
Grumpy Old Man

Post by blueprint »

dazedandconfused wrote:
CanaryYellow wrote: Can someone explain what IDP is please? I cant find it anywhere. Do we actually have 23 players playing for us each week including 2 QBs?
IDP = Individual Defensive Player , so you can put a DB, DL or LB in these positions, it's your choice.

Yes we have a 23 man starting lineup each week including 2QBs

God I hope you guys aren't up for changing things now? I'm in a tail spin as it is. Is 23 too many or is it just the no. of defenders you are worried about? I'll be gald whe this is all over.

dazedandconfused
Treebeard

blueprint wrote:God I hope you guys aren't up for changing things now?
Not me 8-)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy NFL”