FISO ESPN NFL Season 9

A Forum for Fans of Fantasy National Football League (American Football) games
Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC 2012 T20 - 3rd in runs league

FISO ESPN NFL Season 9

Post by Rick Spangle »

Hi all.

First Canadian football game was on ESPN last night, so it's spurred me into action regarding checking everyone's availability for the new season. Could you let me know your intentions please? Draft normally around the late August bank holiday period. Same format/scoring as last year. (The league's been reactivated, and your two keepers can already be selected.) http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leagueoffi ... ueId=40558

Rick.

X-Man
Dumbledore

Re: FISO ESPN NFL Season 9

Post by X-Man »

I'm in and hopefully I'll be around for the draft this time...

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Thanks to those of you who have replied and confirmed - just waiting on Caracas Firecrackers. I'll send another email.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Caracas Firecrackers confirmed for new season - full house again :D
I'll set up a poll shortly on the home page of the league regarding draft time/date.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

I realised that I hadn't put a closing date on the poll, so I've edited it - and found out that this removes the votes already cast :oops: . Fortunately, there's only been two votes so far, and one is mine - apologies, but could the person who's already voted do so again? Ta.

Brimar
Wideboy

Post by Brimar »

Always adds a bit of interest to the season. Another nfl.com league I was in has folded so nice to be involved in this one once again for another season. Thanks for the effort it setting it up and running it.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Thanks for your kind words Brimar :)

Poll has now closed on the time and date of the draft - not a resounding victory, but victory nonetheless for 9pm UK time on Sunday 30th August - I hope those of you who voted otherwise can still make it and it was just a preference thing.
The keeper deadline has therefore been set for 48 hours before the draft, ie 9pm Friday 28th August - only one owner has yet to set keepers. 2 keepers are mandatory - if they haven't been selected by the deadline, I will select two for them (and be serious about it :wink: ).

See you at the draft!

Rick.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Keepers now locked in, and are as follows:

Bruschi 54s - J.Charles (RB), Julio Jones (WR)
Caracas Firecrackers - R.Wilson (QB), TY.Hilton (WR)
Forest Tigers - L.McCoy (RB), A.Morris (RB)
Barry Crockers - D.Thomas (WR), R.Gronkowski (TE)
Putney Gooners - A.Peterson (RB), L.Bell (RB) :D
Fulchester Fish - A.Rodgers (QB), E.Lacy (RB)
Get It Right Next Time - D.Brees (QB), J.Graham (TE)
Cornish Tinners - D.Bryant (WR), A.Brown (WR)
Chingford Gingers - M.Forte (RB), R.Cobb (WR)
Portsmouth Pirates - A.Foster (RB), L.Miller (RB)
Crystal Tipps - C.Johnson (WR), A.Luck (QB)
X-Men - M.Lynch (RB), O.Beckham (WR)

Draft at 9pm on Sunday, see you there.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

Draft completed, great to see a full house for most of the draft - thanks to all.
(Incidentally, I propose maybe a time limit of 60 seconds per pick, rather than 90, for next year - I'll do a poll on the homepage.)
Someone mentioned in passing that they hope to see more trading this year (I agree) - and I'm starting the ball rolling with a trade offer already.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

No huge groundswell of opinion on shortening the draft time, so I'll leave it as is.

Rick Spangle
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick Spangle »

SEASON 9 REVIEW

Well folks, that's another year in the books, and it's congratulations to the champions Forest Tigers and Phillip Edwards.

Final standings.

1st Forest Tigers 10-4 - draft 12th next year
2nd X-Men 8-6 - draft 11th next year
3rd Putney Gooners 10-4 - draft 10th next year
4th Fulchester Fish 10-4 - draft 9th next year
5th Get It Right Next Time 6-8 - draft 1st next year
6th Caracas Firecrackers 8-6 - draft 2nd next year
7th Bruschi 54s 6-8 - draft 3rd next year
8th Cornish Tinners 9-5 - draft 4th next year
9th Barry Crockers 6-8 - draft 5th next year
10th Chingford Gingers 2-12 - draft 6th next year
11th Crystal Tipps 3-11 - draft 7th next year
12th Portsmouth Pirates 6-8 - draft 8th next year

Team reviews.

Forest Tigers.
The Kansas City Chiefs of FISO - after week 5, they were 1-4 and looking a little desparate - from when, they went on a nine game win streak to take their division with a 10-4 record, claim the top seed, and then power their way to two more wins in the post season for eventual Superbowl success. Well done Phil!

X-Men
Bumped along at a .500 rate for most of the year, which was good enough for position in what turned out to be the weakest of the three divisions, with two wins in the final two weeks taking them to the top. They then pulled off a slight upset in the semifinals over the Gooners before becoming the 11the successive team to fall foul of the Tigers in the championship game. Still a great year for the X-Men.

Putney Gooners
After week 9, the Gooners record stood at 5-4, not too bad but not exactly a lock for postseason. Weeks 10-14 however, a different story - 5 wins in a row lifting them to the division title. With that sort of streak going, and a match against division winners with a 2-game worse winning record, probably fancied their chances, but came up short against the X-Men in the semi. A good season though, finishing the regular season as one of three teams with a best 10-4 record.

Fulchester Fish
Entering week 12, it looked a breeze for postseason play for the Fish, with a 9-2 record. The wheels completely fell off from thereon in though, meaning that the division title was lost and a scrape in to the semis as the wildcard, up against the surging Tigers - no chance! Then fell apart in the 3rd/4th playoff game against the Gooners. A regular season record of 10-4 I guss is some sort of consolation.

Get It Right Next Time
Much like the Fish, a season where the first part was much better than the 2nd. A record of 6-3 after nine weeks turned into a final score of 6-8 after 5 losses in a row weeks 10 through 14. Just got it together in time for two wins in the consolation ladder (nb for some reason the 95-95 result against Firecrackers is showing as a loss although it should be a win as GIRNT had a better bench score in this game - no idea why it's showing as a loss, and I've amended it in the final standings table), meaning that GIRNT after a less=than-great regular season at least have the number one draft pick for next year.

Caracas Firecrackers
After a couple of years in the doldrums, a good season for the Firecrackers. Started with three wins, suffered a four game losing streak weeks 6-9 and immediately followed up with a four game winning streak weeks 10-13. Lost the all important week 14 match for the division title, but got very close to taking the consolation ladder title for the prize of the number one draft spot next year. A winning season overall though, with a final score of 8-6.

Bruschi 54s
A mid-table showing pretty much all season long meant a record of 6-6 through 12 weeks, alternating wins and losses on an almost weekly basis. Two losses to division rivals in weeks 13 and 14 was their undoing, although they lifted themselves into a good drafting postion for next year courtesy of two wins in the consolation ladder games.

Cornish Tinners
If the Tigers were the FISO Kansas City Chiefs, the Tinners might be described as the FISO Atlanta Falcons. Started with a six-game win streak, then the wheels fell off, going 1-4 the next 5 weeks. Two wins against division rivals in weeks 12 and 13 lifted them back into good position in what turned out to be the best division in the league, but a loss in week 14 condemned them to the outside looking in, with a fine (just not fine enough!) record of 9-5 on the season. Bad turned to worse during the consolation ladder games though, two losses dropping them down the overall final standings table.

Barry Crockers
Quite a similar story to the Tinners, as the Crockers also started out like a house on fire with 4 wins to open up the season. They then went 1-7 over the next 8 weeks to completely blow any chance of postseason play. One win and one loss in the consolation ladder meant that they end up just about where a 6-8 record would expect you to land on the overall standings table.

Chingford Gingers
Not a great year for the Gingers! Losers of the first 10 weeks, obviously all hope of postseason vanished fairly quickly, although they did rouse themselves somewhat in the last 4 weeks with 2 wins and 2 losses (one of these was a tie, settled on bench scores). One win in the ladder games also lifted them a couple of places in the race for draft positions next year.

Crystal Tipps
A really down year for last years runners-up - it took until week 7 for the Tipps to register their first win this year. They took a couple of narrow wins in the next two weeks but sadly reverted to type for the rest of the year with only one more win to the end of the season. Having lost their first game in the consolation ladder, faced the indignity of the wooden spoon game which they took with their highest score of the season - a crumb of consolation!

Portsmouth Pirates
Not a good year for the Pirates, although better than a final standing of 12th overall would indicate. After week 9, the record was 4-5, not wonderful but still workable in the weakest division. The required winning run didn't materialise though, and they ended with a 6-8 record. It should have been good enough for a mid-table position, but two losses (in two very high scoring games - unlucky!) meant a fall to the foot of the table.

A few records...
Best team weekly score - 131 - Putney Gooners (week 5)
Worst team weekly score - 29 - Get It Right Next Time (week 12)
Biggest margin of victory - 71 Fish over Tigers (!) (week 1)
Best individual weekly score - 41 - Cam Newton - Caracas Firecrackers (week 15) - Drew Brees scored 44 in week 8 for Get It Right Next Time, but he was on the bench.
Worst individual weekly score - -7 - Peyton Manning - Barry Crockers (week 10)

Thanks to everyone for playing hard all season - hope you all had a good Christmas, and that the New Year brings all good things and that sort of stuff - and hope to see you back for the next season of FISO NFL football.

Rick.

X-Man
Dumbledore

Post by X-Man »

Thanks for hosting Rick and congrats to Forest Tigers - this is a hard league to win. This year (more than most) there seemed to be more injuries and under-performing stars, so the Waiver Wire become more important than usual and there were lean pickings there.

I'll be back next year (but not sure who is my obvious second keeper).

Sport Billy
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 1st 2014 ESPN 6 Nations, 2nd 2015 Shaggy World Snooker: FPL Pontoon Champion 2014/15, 1st Euro 2016 Qualifiers predictor, 2nd 2015 FISO Superbru Golf Predictor

Post by Sport Billy »

Don't forget I'm first reserve if anyone doesn't show up!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy NFL”