To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

TFF World Cup 2018

A Fantasy Football forum for news on World Cup (TFFWC), European Championships (TFFEC) and Champions League, Europe (TFFE) Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph.
bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Re: TFF World Cup 2018

Post by bluelionman »

Gotta say I've really fallen out of love with this game already - I think the 46 transfers is to much - I should of listened to you FISO experts - you was right only way to win this thing was ship in blocks of defenders and hope for clean sheets - I spread my picks out over several teams and already out the running by not having players play and not getting clean sheets - it's spoilt the fun already - over 100 points behind leader in my private money league after just a few days - clearly they had a Russian back 5 to start (as you could guarantee who was playing before amnesty was over and then make changes once you see team line ups each game from there on). Then those who are at work (but not at a desk or in a desk job with internet to hand) and thus can't be online at deadlines have no chance. I also wanted to go for the Starting XI so picked from teams I think will go deep. This meant guessing teams starting line ups like Spain and I got it wrong.

I truly would prefer a more balanced and skillful game - especially one that's pay to play - think 26 transfers for the whole tournament would of been better - equal out the clean sheet blocks as if you get it wrong or team exists early others can catch up as your run out of transfers - not so this way as they get the points and then get a whole fresh set of transfers come knock out stages - right now I'm forced to use transfers as can't carry them over - in a fatal bid to catch up but it's hopeless as not all players have even played yet - it was a huge mistake on my part thinking long term as way game is geared you should load up on teams playing first and make changes as games go along - I've screwed this and realised 4 days in and it's to late to do anything about as all my teams all have players in from various teams - which if I knew those leaders only had a finite number of transfers would give me hope to catch up at the back end of the tournament had I guessed correctly the teams that will go deep - but nope as Tele give us all another 20 transfers come knock out stages they can pick them all to and cancel pretty much those behind out - so the 26 transfers have to be used now as they cant be carried over... meaning I'm making rash decisions to try to claw back points and having guessed wrongly on some countries starting teams has killed me - had 3 Spanish not play so complete waste of both waiting and now having to swap out for zero return - swapped for Argies who then fail to keep a clean sheet and u know who missed a pen... #Diaster. . I like TFG's Mangers office set up and been paying to play Tele games for over 2 decades but think the move to more and more transfers with mid-tourney amnesties or refreshes on transfer quotas (Champions League and World Cup come to mind) really isn't to my liking - just wanted to air my thoughts and wonder if anyone else had any strong feelings - I've never troubled the prize spots so kind of pay to play for a superior game to the free ones out there (though to be fair I've not even tried the free games like the Suns Dream Team in recent times so they may be better now)?

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

Yes it is too many and the amnesty makes matters worse, but it is what it is and playing the game/rules is as important now as picking the right players.
People on here have said block swapping is the way to go but some still think not.
If germany and or brazil concede today it might even things out a bit, if not the leaders could runnaway.

There is a massive entry number this year, so either people are not put off or it is just full of mass entries, although bar 1 name I cant see any mass entrants on the leader board.

If you want a more balanced game, the sun would be better, although block picking is involved with the sun as well, it is not so extreme, also no amnesty, mcdonalds is probable the better game for players like yourself.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Totally agree with Blue Lion Man. Needs fewer transfers and personally would like max 3 defenders per country (inc keeper).

Coud entry numbers be more about the cost - did they have good deals for multi teams?

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

Its more expensive than previous versions I think, after the initial offer its 8 for £20.

jimwinn
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: nah

Post by jimwinn »

It's a marathon not a sprint etc etc

The amount of transfers is high but the early runners will have blown too many by now.

Moaning because you aren't doing well doesn't make sense to me. I've messed up constantly for several years so now I'm not making the same mistakes. Going for a block defence is easy to manage - I've got a job too so going for a break at the right time is tricky.

sarllm
Wideboy

Post by sarllm »

bluelionman wrote:Gotta say I've really fallen out of love with this game already - I think the 46 transfers is to much - I should of listened to you FISO experts - you was right only way to win this thing was ship in blocks of defenders and hope for clean sheets - I spread my picks out over several teams and already out the running by not having players play and not getting clean sheets - it's spoilt the fun already - over 100 points behind leader in my private money league after just a few days - clearly they had a Russian back 5 to start (as you could guarantee who was playing before amnesty was over and then make changes once you see team line ups each game from there on). Then those who are at work (but not at a desk or in a desk job with internet to hand) and thus can't be online at deadlines have no chance. I also wanted to go for the Starting XI so picked from teams I think will go deep. This meant guessing teams starting line ups like Spain and I got it wrong.

I truly would prefer a more balanced and skillful game - especially one that's pay to play - think 26 transfers for the whole tournament would of been better - equal out the clean sheet blocks as if you get it wrong or team exists early others can catch up as your run out of transfers - not so this way as they get the points and then get a whole fresh set of transfers come knock out stages - right now I'm forced to use transfers as can't carry them over - in a fatal bid to catch up but it's hopeless as not all players have even played yet - it was a huge mistake on my part thinking long term as way game is geared you should load up on teams playing first and make changes as games go along - I've screwed this and realised 4 days in and it's to late to do anything about as all my teams all have players in from various teams - which if I knew those leaders only had a finite number of transfers would give me hope to catch up at the back end of the tournament had I guessed correctly the teams that will go deep - but nope as Tele give us all another 20 transfers come knock out stages they can pick them all to and cancel pretty much those behind out - so the 26 transfers have to be used now as they cant be carried over... meaning I'm making rash decisions to try to claw back points and having guessed wrongly on some countries starting teams has killed me - had 3 Spanish not play so complete waste of both waiting and now having to swap out for zero return - swapped for Argies who then fail to keep a clean sheet and u know who missed a pen... #Diaster. . I like TFG's Mangers office set up and been paying to play Tele games for over 2 decades but think the move to more and more transfers with mid-tourney amnesties or refreshes on transfer quotas (Champions League and World Cup come to mind) really isn't to my liking - just wanted to air my thoughts and wonder if anyone else had any strong feelings - I've never troubled the prize spots so kind of pay to play for a superior game to the free ones out there (though to be fair I've not even tried the free games like the Suns Dream Team in recent times so they may be better now)?
Sounds like sour grapes to me. What you couldn’t predict the future? Well none of us can, which is why it’s a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Personally I don’t think a game should be about selecting block defences and shifting from one to the other constantly. It should be about identifying the best defences, and players who will get attacking points, and keeping for the medium term, with some transfers for necessary situations like injuries and tournament exits and some tinkering.

In my case it’s not sour grapes, I’ve not entered (apart from a work league with different rules) it’s just that each game should have its own “features” and although I’ve mostly played telegraph (since postal transfers) it’s chnaged beyond recognition transfers wise.

SamD
FISO Knight

On the defence

Post by SamD »

Another way to negate dominance of block defences on leaderboard is to reduce points for a clean sheet, eg from seven to four.
This would be easier for TFF to administer than restricting number of players from any one club/nation.

Whatever you think, it may be worth filling in TFF questionnaire to provide feedback.

ChrisD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ChrisD »

Interesting. To me there are 2 games here. One is the block defence, sh!t or bust, likely prize route, often for those with more than one team. The other is the single entrant, works league-type game (which I am). Never going to win the whole thing. Never crosses my mind. I like to compete against mates, chase the goal (rather than chase clean sheets). Probably 20 transfers of the 26 will be attacking. Depends on your aims I guess. It feels a bit dumbed down from the postal transfer days, but there are choices if it's not for you. Would say that reading the rules is commandment 1 for me. It appears some of my league don't realise about the transfers/amnesty. But I'm not telling them...

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

Bluelionman I think your post is a bit silly especially when you don't know how many transfers people would have used to get in that position at the top.

They could have started with a Russian block and then switched to a Uruguayan block which would have been quite a sensible move for a lot of managers.
On the other hand, Russia have been absolutely awful in the run up whereas the Saudi's have scored in most friendlies so opening with a Russia block was a bit 50/50 to succeed in my opinion.
You follow this up with a Uruguayan block plus Cavani & Suarez.
Sensible move as Uruguay are the favourites in the group but the result was only 1-0 due to a very late winner from a defender.

After the Uruguay result though, what do the block hoppers do?
Switch to Spain possibly as the Iberian derby is usually a dull affair with the Spanish winning by the odd goal.
Or
Switch to the popular choice of France?
This would have been very popular and halted a lot of blocks.
Or
Switch to Argentina with a so called easy game against Iceland?
Factor in Messi missing a penalty and Dembele/Mbappe doing sod all and you have a lot of the leaderboard potentially 10 or more transfers down for not a lot of points whereas you can sit and wait for the opportunities from your original plan and pick off teams that have yet to play such as Germany, Brazil & Belgium.

It's by far from over.

EDIT
Just noticed that you picked three Spanish players that didn't play!!!
This isn't the games fault but totally your ineptitude I'm afraid, you have to go for certain starters if you're spreading your team out.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

I was worrying about how far behind I was in my mini leagues but with no transfers used yet and alot of players playing today I'm feeling the itchy trigger finger ease off and happy to stick to my original plan not used to tff but finding the new experience enjoyable

Sent from my VFD 510 using Tapatalk

edmo33
FISOhead
FS Record: 7th Overall Sky Sports Euro2012, 15th Overall Sky Sports 2012/13, 77th overall TFF 12/13, 28th overall Irish Times 12/13

Post by edmo33 »

Who's to say that the winning team hasn't even been entered yet?

My current best team was entered yesterday, following both the France and Argentina games, so points can be made up.

My lack of Ronaldo on Friday aside, I'm pretty pleased with all my teams.

Shabba.

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

Interesting differing points of view and sorry if it came across as sour grapes - all valid points and yes I made a pigs ear of predicting starters etc., instead of doing research spent a lot of time recruiting and convincing friends, work colleagues and strangers into joining my private league so that's on me.

I like the various suggestions here and thoughts / hope offered up is duly taken on board.

Yes two commandments going forward will serve me well - reading rules especially on scoring and transfers plus advice of fellow FISO'ers leading up to start of games. 8-)

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

BLM, all is not lost. There is a knockout stage prize, so you'll be able to go for that, you can basically treat it as a whole new game as there's an amnesty beforehand. Plus you should be able to tell which players are starting and who's performing well, so don't give up just yet.

Fergi222
FISOhead
FS Record: DreamTeam Champion 20/21, Highest FPL Rank 715th, Top 100 in Sky and TFF

Post by Fergi222 »

Have had a good read but can't find confirmation on a daily limit to transfers... does anyone's know if there is one?

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

no transfer limit. Did about 9 in one of mine today

Fergi222
FISOhead
FS Record: DreamTeam Champion 20/21, Highest FPL Rank 715th, Top 100 in Sky and TFF

Post by Fergi222 »

Rick wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 20:18 no transfer limit. Did about 9 in one of mine today
Many thanks, hoping tomorrow kicks off my tournament!

Sutter Kane
Dumbledore
FS Record: Unknown.

Post by Sutter Kane »

get_on_my_cocker wrote:BLM, all is not lost.
Lol it feels like that for me! Up against a guy in my league who's made 1 transfer (Griezmann to Aguero) and had Gimenez, Ronaldo (predictable hatty vs Spain of course), Schmeichel, Tiago Silva, Eriksen, Griezmann, Aguero, Modric so far compared to my Muller, Neymar, Messi, De Arrascaeta, Kimmich, Werner, Tiago Silva, Marcelo, Cavani, Suarez. First time I've played TFF but never could have imagined such a ridiculous swing in my life! (especially with over 400 quid riding on it!) What are the odds!? Apart from Tiago Silva, he's struck gold and opened up a huge lead with 4 transfers in hand over me too! Is this usual for Telegraph at this stage because if this was premier league FF, no problem but with this being a month tournament, I'm unsure how big a lead 40 (plus 4 transfers) is at this stage.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

40 pt deficit going into the final is almost curtains. 40 pt deficit going into the semis is challenging, 40 pt deficit at this stage is nothing to be concerned about at all.

If your opponent keeps getting things right you have little chance, but the odds are that happening are remote. Having only made one transfer he hasn't yet been tested. Normally a 4 transfer deficit would be significant, but not in this game, with so many transfers available. A lot of managers will have to use a lot of transfers towards the end of the group stage and unless they pick brilliantly and/or are extremely lucky, the return from those transfers may be disappointing.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

If he has only used 1 transfer so far then I think it is fairly safe to assume he doesn't really know how to play this game. Therefore all to play for.

Chance he has figured out 25 better opportunities but I doubt it.

I've used 11 transfers. 2 failed blocks and a non scoring fundraiser. I think I'm cooked.....

ChrisD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ChrisD »

My tactic of rotating some of the attacking defenders is backfiring nicely as I keep picking the wrong ones! Meunier is next off the disappointing cab rank, followed by our very own Trippier..

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

1st succesful transfer today with Lukaku. Started with Kane too.

chaser2k4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 1 Motw in 2006 tffe, top 500 finish in euro 2008 tff! trying to break into that top 1000 in tff. much better at shorter games.

Post by chaser2k4 »

108 points so far.
Falcao to play tomorrow.

gio
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 16/17 21K, 17/18 17K, 18/19 600K, 19/20 2K
TFF 17/18 2000, 18/19 500, 19/20 2000
TFF WC18 81st

Post by gio »

edmo33 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 13:27 Who's to say that the winning team hasn't even been entered yet?
Inspired by this I entered a Belgium block yesterday, then half switching to England and got 101 points on the day, not bad, just 18 behind my best team with few less transfers used :)

Vesalius73
Wideboy
FS Record: Tff Fiso Euro Super 7 (2016) 1st

Post by Vesalius73 »

gio wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 08:25
edmo33 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 13:27 Who's to say that the winning team hasn't even been entered yet?
Inspired by this I entered a Belgium block yesterday, then half switching to England and got 101 points on the day, not bad, just 18 behind my best team with few less transfers used :)
With this post in mind I’m thinking of using the two credits I have left rather than save them for the new EPL season. However, worth it? Doubt I would ever catch the leaders now although if I went down the block route I calculated getting 210 points leaving one spare transfer with 5 man blocks. This isn’t including outfield players obviously. Or, use my credits on the third round of games to set me up for the knockout prize?

Or just hold onto them? Hmmm

gio
Treebeard
FS Record: FPL 16/17 21K, 17/18 17K, 18/19 600K, 19/20 2K
TFF 17/18 2000, 18/19 500, 19/20 2000
TFF WC18 81st

Post by gio »

Vesalius73 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 11:15
With this post in mind I’m thinking of using the two credits I have left rather than save them for the new EPL season. However, worth it? Doubt I would ever catch the leaders now although if I went down the block route I calculated getting 210 points leaving one spare transfer with 5 man blocks. This isn’t including outfield players obviously. Or, use my credits on the third round of games to set me up for the knockout prize?

there is a transfer amnesty between group stages and knockout round, so you dont need to hold now for knockout prize

Vesalius73
Wideboy
FS Record: Tff Fiso Euro Super 7 (2016) 1st

Post by Vesalius73 »

gio wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 11:18
Vesalius73 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 11:15

there is a transfer amnesty between group stages and knockout round, so you dont need to hold now for knockout prize
Ah, my confusion. I’ve been doing this long enough but failed to realise I can refresh and reset after 3 games. I had it in my head we moved on to the next new amount of transfers with the team you were left with. Doh

Thanks

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Does anyone have or know where to get the list of penalty takers for each team as they appear to be the players racking up the points - and it's not always the main striker

ChrisD
Grumpy Old Man

Post by ChrisD »

This link (a table and the comments below) is a fairly thorough look: http://community.betfair.com/football/g ... comeHeader

Some errors but it's not an exact science. Someone who is nailed on is Lewandowski, who is making his way into my team shortly..

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Big day today. Could use most of your 26 transfers!
3 potential thrashings with Fake off the mark already after just 4 minutes (my only transfer so far paying off).

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “International Telegraph Fantasy Football Games”