To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

TFF World Cup 2014

A Fantasy Football forum for news on World Cup (TFFWC), European Championships (TFFEC) and Champions League, Europe (TFFE) Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph.
wiseowl65
FISOhead

Re: TFF World Cup 2014

Post by wiseowl65 »

Thomarse wrote:Managed to finish 46 overall with my single team ... which I'm pretty chuffed about :D and 7th in the FISO Forum League :mrgreen:

Congrats to all and especially the winners!

Roll on the premier season now!
Well done exact same position as me 8-)

Jack72
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maxi Muscle FF - 1st (October MOTM) . , TFF Weekender - 1st (Week 13) , Championship FF - 34th. WC 2014 TFF - 27th

Post by Jack72 »

Thomarse wrote:Managed to finish 46 overall with my single team ... which I'm pretty chuffed about :D and 7th in the FISO Forum League :mrgreen:

I'm all for a big thumbs up to the fisoers like Tomarse who ' in the background behind the usual winners ' quietly finishes 46th with a single team. A mighty fine effort by anyone's standard.

Thomarse
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: SL winner 2007/08, 2010/11, 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17 .. WC SL winner 2014!

Post by Thomarse »

Jack72 wrote:

I'm all for a big thumbs up to the fisoers like Tomarse who ' in the background behind the usual winners ' quietly finishes 46th with a single team. A mighty fine effort by anyone's standard.
Thank you :) most annoying thing was the Brazil v Germany game ... had I backed Germany, instead of loading my team with Brazilians ... it may have been a different story haha but I'm sure everyone would of done something different at some point.

Great tournament though and good dreamteam fun as always!

Jagduracell
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd TFF World Cup 2014, 8th in TFF Fantasy Lions and a few TFF and TFC weekly wins

Post by Jagduracell »

Jack72 wrote:

Agreed, anywhere near the top 100 with 1 team is great going.

Not sure I'll get anywhere near as close as this again with the lack of teams that I normally enter. I had 4 credits and had 1 egg team and 3 Competition long attempts so to have 2 of them finish in the top 10 was a bit of a miracle but kind of makes me wonder what I could do in the PL version with a few more credits....

Jack72
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Maxi Muscle FF - 1st (October MOTM) . , TFF Weekender - 1st (Week 13) , Championship FF - 34th. WC 2014 TFF - 27th

Post by Jack72 »

Jagduracell wrote:
Jack72 wrote:

Agreed, anywhere near the top 100 with 1 team is great going.

Not sure I'll get anywhere near as close as this again with the lack of teams that I normally enter. I had 4 credits and had 1 egg team and 3 Competition long attempts so to have 2 of them finish in the top 10 was a bit of a miracle but kind of makes me wonder what I could do in the PL version with a few more credits....
8-) A quite brilliant performance with only 4 teams, well done 8-)

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Are you ready for a tale of woe? In my team that finished 6th, I had two transfers left for the final.

I already had Romero, Garay, Zabalata, Muller, Klose and Messi and spent all week agonising over two basic strategies. I strongly fancied the Germans so was always going to bring two of them in and it came down to:

Option A: Go for Lahm and Hummels, pray they keep a clean sheet and maybe chip in with a goal/assist.
Option B: Complete the German "front 4" that finished the semi by adding Ozil and Kroos.

I convinced myself that there were loads of Argentina blocks around me, but at least one person in the top 5 would have or bring in at least 2 German defenders so the former might just mean I was treading water. Also it would be agony watching them defending for 90/120 minutes knowing one slip would blow it (and they were lucky not to concede). So I went with the more positive strategy and hoped the midfielders would do the business.

History shows that I made a bad call and the extra 8 points would have been enough for 2nd place and £1000. :evil:

Be interested to know what other people think about my logic/decision etc

(Hopefully this doesn't read like a wink "If I'd done X, Y, Z etc etc I'd have done better)

ps - congrats to Andy and the rest of the top 5. All 40 transfers are as important as each other of course and nothing beats points on the board.

Jagduracell
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 2nd TFF World Cup 2014, 8th in TFF Fantasy Lions and a few TFF and TFC weekly wins

Post by Jagduracell »

I feel your pain Darby. I think all of us up there had some points in the game where we said 'what if'.

I would have probably done the same in your shoes. I thought that there must have been blocks all around me so having a split German/Argentina block would have felt kind of neither here nor there.

I remember being in a similar position for a MOTW a couple of years back where I gambled on a certain defender and they conceded within 30 seconds of the start of the game and that was my chance gone so I have always preferred to look at the more positive chance of potentially scoring.

If it's any consolation my last sub was to bring in Higuain for Lahm after the first semi final which resulted in a net -2 points. If I'd just not bothered to make the sub i'd have been splitting the top prize!

ianthegirth
FISOhead

Post by ianthegirth »

finished 56th with my single team. any other single team owners make it to the top 100?

Hank Schrader
Wideboy
FS Record: Best Finishes: 10th TFF World Cup 2010, 4th DM 2012, 2nd TFF Champs League 2014, 49th Sky 2016, 6th DM 2016, 13th & 37th DreamTeam 2018

Post by Hank Schrader »

Both Jag and Darby are so unfortunate making positive transfers but it actually costing you. Higuain came so close in both matches. Fine margins and all that....
Congrats to prize winners and particularly Andy after winning same comp 4 years ago. So Andy, any chance of a brief overview of your winning strategy on here?

wizardoffire
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2013/2014 FISO Hotshots league

Post by wizardoffire »

started off well but missed on some of the big scoring games due to mis reading them and being totally surprised at the outcome.
3 teams just outside the top 1000, one day Ill get up there, just cant seem to do it... getting there in some of the fantasy cricket forms (twenty20) but longer formats I guess Im too conservative amongst other things

beachboy
Treebeard
FS Record: Winner Telegraph World Cup 2010 & 2014

Post by beachboy »

Hi Hank Schrader

There are no great insights to be had:
Do research: Penalty takers, Top Scorers etc
Look at previous finals to see how many upsets there are, be prepared with a Plan B
Enter the number of teams you can manage
Be bold
I record what has worked for me and what hasn't.
There are no guarantees for success, but you should allow yourself the opportunity to succeed
Be lucky
I hope this helps and that you enjoy the coming season: Whoever you are watching and wherever they may be playing
* 8-) *

littledon22
Wideboy
FS Record: 2nd (£30k) in World Cup SDT 2010, 2nd (£5k) in TFF Euro Champs 2008

Post by littledon22 »

Congrats to beachboy and jags!!!

I was away in portugal watching with limited wi-fi access and thought the dutch clean sheet had truly blown it for me, but it turns out that an argie clean sheet may well have done it for me (finished 8th with full argie block, just 9 points from glory)

7 pesky minutes away...

But beachboy, to win successive world cup tournaments is some going. Good skills sir!

Hank Schrader
Wideboy
FS Record: Best Finishes: 10th TFF World Cup 2010, 4th DM 2012, 2nd TFF Champs League 2014, 49th Sky 2016, 6th DM 2016, 13th & 37th DreamTeam 2018

Post by Hank Schrader »

beachboy wrote:Hi Hank Schrader

There are no great insights to be had:
Do research: Penalty takers, Top Scorers etc
Look at previous finals to see how many upsets there are, be prepared with a Plan B
Enter the number of teams you can manage
Be bold
I record what has worked for me and what hasn't.
There are no guarantees for success, but you should allow yourself the opportunity to succeed
Be lucky
I hope this helps and that you enjoy the coming season: Whoever you are watching and wherever they may be playing
* 8-) *
Wise words, thanks Andy. A good point about keeping a record of what works well and what doesn't. I'm sure all the best FF players have notes of some kind that they keep and refer to.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “International Telegraph Fantasy Football Games”