To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Poker in Pubs

A forum for the FISO Poker Society.
RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Poker in Pubs

Post by RomynPG »

I've enjoyed playing pub poker for a few years but the Gambling Commission rules
http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/pd ... -guide.pdf
http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/pd ... 202008.pdf
make it really restrictive.

You can gamble 100's in the bookies on these roulette machines - money laundering is rife - but it's £5 per game £100 max prize for Poker.

I want to set up a private game - friends only - where we meet up maybe once a week/fortnight for a few beers and play a small stake cash game.

I like the idea of cash as there's no clock, blind increases, chip-ups, fixed max finish due to closing time etc and people aren't knocked out early. I also find cash, as it's simpler, a more social game and (as it's friends) a game where you can mess about a bit more, muff people and generally have more fun. (My current pub tournies get a bit serious sometimes and with the way the blinds go there's not a huge amount of play in them).

But let's say I have 7/8 people (would always be <=8) how the heck can you have a game with a £5 max buy-in? - that's a pint and a bag of crisps! I don't envisage any more than £20 max (on a bad night) for any individual - and it would be unlikely that anyone walks away with more than £100 on a night.

Of course we could, as it's private, just keep it to ourselves and settle up elsewhere but I need the pub to be ok with it all and for that to happen it's got to be completely above board.

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Lega ... l-pitfalls
is a good summary I think - but it's coming from the angle of the pub hosting a game - rather than 7 friends turning up a deciding to play poker rather than jenga. I could have a drink with you and have a few games of backgammon @£10/point - or maybe not :wink:

What do?

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Poker in Pubs

Post by Hotpot »

I have a 'friend' who plays a private cash game in a pub and the games often run to over £5.

To keep everyone happy we have a banker who exchanges coloured chips (red 25p, blue £1, green £2, black £5...) for cash at the start and we only ever have chips on the table. This keeps the landlord happy as if anyone walks in no one has a clue what the stakes are. The main rule the landlord insists on is there is never any cash on the table at any time - so even in a big pot all notes are exchanged for chips before they are placed in the pot - so there's never cash in play.

:D

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Re: Poker in Pubs

Post by RomynPG »

It was always going to be chips only.

I just wouldn't want to try and "fool" the publicans to what the stakes really were - small though they are - if that exposes them to any risk.

(The convoluted tourny payout stuff in the 2nd doc above is just laughable - way to make things complicated.)

Maybe I'll just take up Dominos or Cribbage which have no limit on stakes or prizes :?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Poker Society”