To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

in tournament over 500 to 3000 people play. final table

A forum for the FISO Poker Society.
buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

in tournament over 500 to 3000 people play. final table

Post by buu1333 »

how do you play when get to final table of big tournament . is it tight aggressive on online poker

as any one here ever won one and how did you play

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Re: in tournament over 500 to 3000 people play. final table

Post by Vid »

Not the ideal person to answer as I haven't played any poker in a very long time.

Others might have a different view point but when I had the time and inclination (and peace and quiet!) to play tourneys that would last for a great many hours, knowing that it would be incredibly boring playing 2/3/4 hands an hour I would have a book to hand to read to pass the time. At the when I was fairly active I would also have built up a lot of notes on other players also entering the type of tourney I favoured which proved often to be invaluable. Obviously if I was reading a book at the time I wouldn't be making that many notes in play :-)

Make sure you have food and drink easily accessible and do your best to take comfort breaks during tourney breaks, make a dash to the toilet during play could cost you that one double up hand you need in the the first few hours.

Not played for a while but no doubt there are still a lot of idiots playing in tourneys that will go all-in on absolutely anything at any time, getting moved to a table with any of the early leaders should be looked at as an opportunity, chances are they didn't get their stacks by good play.

One option is to set a target you'd like to achieve in the early hours (I liked to increase my stack by 250% each hour which could be achieved in the first hand) and once reached just hit "sitting out" and go and sort out food/ drink/ longer visit to the toilet/ play a low stakes turbo/ whatever.

Once into the cash I would tend to become more active, both in observation and in play, when down to the last few tables there is likely to be more respect shown by all involved, but they'll also be observing everyone else too. You'll be able to steal blinds but if you take the piss you will likely get hurt.

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper
FS Record: Profitable

Post by Karrde »

Final table strategy varies depending on chip stacks, but a short answer is that the most passive player rarely wins :wink:

kizkiz
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISO autumn 2009 poker world champ and 8 game champ

Post by kizkiz »

Having taken down an online tournament a while back with a large field I can offer a small bit of advice...
By the time the final table arrives blinds are humungous. The only play you normally see is raise, fold. First to bet takes it down, unless you're doing it too often.
Eventually two hands will run into each other and it's all in pre flop. You will not be likely to see many flops.
Of course, if someone runs good and take out the first couple of players, then they can bully the rest relentlessly. :D

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

ok i played a few days ago 500 people entered that was the cap. I have made a few final tables before this but I got bored of poker. Until Now, I have been watching PCA 10 main event on channel 4 and these two brothers who are good players and grinders I became a fan , and I tried to play like them. And I believe it has improved my game quite a bit as I am winning pots with nothing/bluffs a lot more.

I am not much of a gambler I find it pointless and boring hate games like roulette what the point. I prefer a game with more skill. This means its only natural for me too hate coin flips in poker before the flop, I like playing flop turn and river. And yes I made the final table without a coin flip for all or most of my chips. And when I got to the final table I was chip leader.

But by playing the grinder way, the way I played to get to final table without going all in before the flop was that the reason I failed at the final table and only got 6th? also did not help that my best hands were QJ ,KJ ect , and they moved all in with decent amount after my bet a lot of times forcing me to fold. Should I have played more tighter rather then grinding out hand and sometimes bluffing when at final table
Last edited by buu1333 on 04 Sep 2013, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

also did well at another tournament at same time 540 players 46th finish about 45 mins in had about 700 to 1000 chips left and still refuse to go all in. once hit top pair on flop and made a come back getting 46th

also thanks for replies so far

Pincher
Grumpy Old Crab
FS Record: Allys Tartan Army

Post by Pincher »

I believe it's all about stack-sizes and bet-sizing appropriately, as well as observing what your opponents are doing of course. Really depends how deep the stacks were - if you were all less than about 12bb (as it often is online) then it is not much more than a crap-shoot.

Karrde
Sir Stormtrooper
FS Record: Profitable

Post by Karrde »

You have to be aware of how many blinds/antes you have left. A massive stack is still vulnerable if you actually only have a few orbits worth of chips before blinding out.

If you have 10BB on the final table or in the first hour, the decisions are the same, you have to gamble more.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Dan Harringtons books used to be the best guide for this, are they still the best or are they a bit dated now?

Fudge Brownie
Red & Blue Braces

Post by Fudge Brownie »

Ive made a few final tables (not enough though lol) and ive always found it worthwhile sitting back as much as you can as other people knock each other out and the money goes up without you doing much.....obviously this may not be the best strategy for winning the thing but it is a risk free way to move up the money. Try and be patient. Though if you are the short stack you have to gamble because youll find everyone is waiting for you to go out!!

norvern muppet
FISO Knight
FS Record: never done nowt

Post by norvern muppet »

lots can be said how to get there but...

once you're there, if you are short stack, little choice but to shove in right position, people will fold decent hands for fear of putting another player back in the mix,

if you have a reasonable stack, I think its more a choice of those that are happy to cash in top 6, or those accepting no less than heads up,

you can sit back, use position and get the 3 bet respect that the tighter players have

if you care more about taking it down, either be lucky or bully bully bully

RowdyRaver
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RowdyRaver »

Avoid tangling with stacks who can bust you, especially if there are short stacks on the table. DO NOT start trying to be a hero and take on that guy with the big stack who is bullying everyone, unless you have a big hand.

Bully stacks shorter than you assuming the players in question are reasonably sensible or tight

You should be opening a lot from late position (as always)

No passive play! Raise or fold.

If you are using a HUD beware some players may play differently on final table so don't just rely on the stats
Keep a careful eye on players - some just totally nit up on FT and can be bullied more or you should avoid them if they play a hand.

Get an ICM calculator to play around with and learn ICM.
Each player leaving the game ladders you up in cash so the maths of when to go all in or call is super important.
On top of that good players will probably be following the ICM rules too, so it's easier to figure out what range of hands good players have if you know ICM yourself.

The game changes short handed and especially heads up. Practice these areas and (again) know your maths about it.
If you're uncomfortable playing short handed then ask for a chop!

Mike_
Dumbledore
FS Record: One half of Double Up And Deal *shades*

Post by Mike_ »

Good stuff that, RR.

Simplified version is that you can shove wider but have to call waaaaay tighter.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Poker Society”