To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Transfers Used

A Fantasy Football forum for news on Fantasy Football games run by the Daily Telegraph (TFF). Please post general messages about players etc that are non-specific to TFF on the 'Team News' Forum.
Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Average to Middling

Transfers Used

Post by Jamjack »

With the International break upon us I thought I’d get people’s views on what a sensible / acceptable amount of transfers usage is this year 4 games in. I’m asking for a friend :lol:

My friend thinks using an average of 4 to this point to jump on some of the established trends and adjust for injuries / suspensions to gain 0 :oops: - 30 points feels about right as it’s kept most of his teams in the top 10,000.

Yard of Grass
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 32nd TFF 2014-15 (Single entrant)

Re: Transfers Used

Post by Yard of Grass »

Depends if your team needed surgery or not but 0-5 ok depending how initial team setup. I usually use number of weeks as a guide. With 40 xfers and similar number of game weeks I try to keep around that mark. Also have an injury and you are out rule. Being below average going into the new year obviously also gives more options for 3-0s etc.

Redrum2
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: SDT JM ELITE LEAGUE CHAMPION 2021

Post by Redrum2 »

For one of my better teams within the top 10k I have done 0 transfers so far.

My best team near 1k has done 4 transfers although I wasted a transfer on Richarlison.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

My 3 season long teams running to normal rules (e.g. not Eggcup) have each used about 4. Mostly for the good of the team, at least on paper, other than the continued failure to get Alonso.

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Thanks folks. Sounds like 4ish transfers might be par for the season long course this year then. At least if your trying to keep pace (whatever that is).

That’s good to hear because it err...let’s me put my friends mind at rest. I haven’t used any transfers obviously.

He has also asked me about a rash that he’s developed ...

morts
Treebeard

Post by morts »

I've got 4 teams and 3 of them have used 3 transfers and the other one 0 transfers.

I don't think there is any harm having used 4 or 5 transfers at this stage as long as you now have a team and a formation that you are happy with.

40 transfers is far too many in my opinion and I would much prefer the game if they reduced it back to 20-30.

sehs527
Red & Blue Braces

Post by sehs527 »

With 40 transfers and so many in-form players i think wildcards are more feasible in tff now. I'll be burning 4 more transfers after the break.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

sehs527 wrote:With 40 transfers and so many in-form players i think wildcards are more feasible in tff now. I'll be burning 4 more transfers after the break.
Please no. Another step towards both total dumbing down and silly FPL gimmickry

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 21:17
sehs527 wrote:With 40 transfers and so many in-form players i think wildcards are more feasible in tff now. I'll be burning 4 more transfers after the break.
Please no. Another step towards both total dumbing down and silly FPL gimmickry
As TFF only allows 5 transfers per game week but as a game week starts on a Tuesday you could effectively emulate a wildcard between Saturday games by doing 5 transfers on the Monday and the other 5 on a Tuesday. This way you also mimic the FPL transfer system by doing all your transfers before any team line-ups are announced.

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

0 or 1 transfer used.

dunx
Red & Blue Braces

Post by dunx »

I'm a bit embarrassed to say I've used six which could become seven to get Alonso in for Moura after Tottenham play early Saturday.

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

The last two posts taken together still keep the average at 4ish :lol: I have an Alonso shortage too.

Latic, my friend thinks you are showing off. Is your average league position as impressive as your transfer usage though? :mrgreen:

This point is kind of why I asked the question. I’m interested if others are allowing themselves transfers to stay at a targeted “pace”. I’ve probably always erred in the side of caution (being a tortoise at heart) in previous years whereas this year, I’m trying to force myself to think about opportunities every week.

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Jamjack wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 09:23
Latic, my friend thinks you are showing off.
Nope, just been very busy lately :lol:

muldoon
FISOhead
FS Record: many years playing TFF, still learning the FPL ropes

Post by muldoon »

I've used 2 so far and about am 8500 overall. I would have used more if I was affected by injuries, suspensions or definite non starters. As a general rule I've kept a player if it was just a 1 game ban, but a 3 game ban is a definite get-rid.

I think using a few more tinkers before the next transfer window is fine too, to get a good looking team for the short/medium term, then I'll try and sit on my hands and hardly use any until mid/late December, where the games come thick and fast and I can wade back into the transfer market like Billy Bigshot and crush all before me. That's the plan, never quite happens like that though :oops:

Mins
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF 15th in 2010

Post by Mins »

I have used 5 subs for my single entrant team. One wasted on Richarlison but all the others were good moves and (fingers crossed) season long transfers.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

11 teams, transfers remain as follows: 2 x 38, 3 x 37, 3 x 36 and 3 x 35.
Jamjack wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 15:53 My friend thinks using an average of 4 to this point to jump on some of the established trends and adjust for injuries...
I'd say this is good transfer usage, you know when your teams look right.
Jamjack wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 15:53 My friend thinks using an average of 4 feels about right.... as it’s kept most of his teams in the top 10,000.
I try not to chase position this early in the season. Hares, weeklies and monthlies will be clouding the picture right now possibly more than at any other point in the season.

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Darbyand wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 13:09 I try not to chase position this early in the season. Hares, weeklies and monthlies will be clouding the picture right now possibly more than at any other point in the season.
Totally get that and I’ve tried to not be influenced by weeklies / monthlies despite the impression you get of losing ground.

The only usable benchmark I have been able to come up with to guess at a theoretical season long run rate was based around the starting 11 leaderboard. The leader has 270 points and if I assume they would be doing well to have made 2 good transfers (10 point gain with each), given it’s hard to improve a strong the team, perhaps the theoretical season long leader amoungst is on about 290 points.

Then I started considering that a lot of the best starting 11s might have changed strategy towards the monthly prize and perhaps the theoretical season long leader score is less than 290.

Interestng but I think I can only conclude on 2 points; 1, I get bored on international break weeks and 2, I’ve not done much work this afternoon.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

the starting 11 leader is in a league where there are no transfers allowed before jan 1st. see via previous link - hare and tortoise. don't worry about him - it will all go wrong once he's allowed to make any

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

Yorkshire Exile wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 14:54 the starting 11 leader is in a league where there are no transfers allowed before jan 1st. see via previous link - hare and tortoise. don't worry about him - it will all go wrong once he's allowed to make any
:lol: :lol: :lol: Bit like me then

johnmc
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner Div 3 TFF when they paid out £5k for divisional splits. Paid for a new car at the time. Several weekly and monthly prizes over the years.

Post by johnmc »

Hi,
My top team in 23rd place overall, on 326 points, has done 20 transfers. I went for MOTM and came up nearly 50 points short. :lol:
The team is at present,:-
Arrizabalaga, Walker, Schulpp, Alonso, Mendy, LaPorte, Mane, Walcott, Moura, Kane, Tosun.

The rest of my teams have done around half a dozen transfers. I'm working on roughly one a week but because of the international break thought I'd use those couple of transfers too, so I could get the in form players in, with good runs to come, after int. break. :wink:

ronny10
FISO Knight
FS Record: Not to shabby

Post by ronny10 »

I have a team on 240 no transfers used that I entered after the start, Saturday I think so not on starting 11 league but would be 2 points off top 100.

I have another on 238 with 1 used.

I'm reasonably happy with them both but imagine I will be needing some changes sooner rather than later especially in the 1st one which has king and mitrovic up front :D

dead parrot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by dead parrot »

Jamjack wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 14:52
The only usable benchmark I have been able to come up with to guess at a theoretical season long run rate was based around the starting 11 leaderboard.
Starting 11 leaderboard is both irrelevant and misleading because many (all?) of the top teams would have been entered after Friday so ineligible for that table

Fergi222
FISOhead
FS Record: DreamTeam Champion 20/21, Highest FPL Rank 715th, Top 100 in Sky and TFF

Post by Fergi222 »

Have used 2 and am in approx 4K position. Looking at making another 2/3 following this window but no major surgery required, just want to get Alonso and maybe Hazard in

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

dead parrot wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 01:10
Jamjack wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 14:52
The only usable benchmark I have been able to come up with to guess at a theoretical season long run rate was based around the starting 11 leaderboard.
Starting 11 leaderboard is both irrelevant and misleading because many (all?) of the top teams would have been entered after Friday so ineligible for that table
It has to have some relevance does it not? I only entered 2 of my 15ish teams on the Saturday because the advantage of seeing the 3pm k/o matches this year (Liverpool, City etc all played Sunday) was less valuable, especially when You considered the enevitable TFF site melt down risk. Genuinely interested if I’m missing the point though?

dead parrot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by dead parrot »

What's your lowest starting team position?
Mine is about 40k (having many Man U players in it). So suggests that between half and two thirds of all teams were entered after the first Friday and excluded from the starting league. Inevitably these will have fewer Man U players so tend be the higher placed teams

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

Personally always enter all my teams pre season. Can't be bothered with vagaries of system performance nor can I guarantee being around for team news. I got one duff experimental team, a few subject to rules or where I didn't pick all starting 11. Worst starting 11 is at 6.9k. Best just outside top 100. Without sane could have been bettervstill :roll:

Jamjack
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Jamjack »

dead parrot wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 14:40 What's your lowest starting team position?
Mine is about 40k (having many Man U players in it). So suggests that between half and two thirds of all teams were entered after the first Friday and excluded from the starting league. Inevitably these will have fewer Man U players so tend be the higher placed teams
Similar, 50k - Man U block (seemed a good idea at the time). That was actually my only team with any Man U players but I still entered most of my teams before the start. Understand your rationale now (thanks), I just never thought so many people would gamble on a Saturday entry. If your are right then the true season long team leader will have a much higher score than my estimate.

buttonphobic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: a 2nd and 9th place in TFF

Post by buttonphobic »

Used 37 or 38 with most teams. Only one, still on 40 which is in 10k position but still has Jota and Coady. Oh and Aubameyang who is yet to convince me.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Even if only 50% of serious, season long teams are valid starting xi teams then that league is still a very good guide to where you should be IMO. If it isn't then what is better? A decent superleague like FISO £25??

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

buttonphobic wrote:Used 37 or 38 with most teams.
How did you get round the 5 per week rule? ;)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Telegraph Fantasy Football (TFF)”