To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2018 FIFA World Cup qualifiers

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Re: 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP

Post by thebillfella »

Edmondson wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 23:02 England could just about scrape a passable XI together if everyone was fit this summer.

How likely is that? Would Southgate make the right picks? Not sure. Also needs loads of work of getting the right shape to the side, not sure he's the man for this either.

Would like to see:

-----------------Butland---------------
Walker----Stones----Cahill-----Rose
-------------------Dier------------------
---------Henderson---Lallana---------
-------------------Alli-------------------
------------Kane-------Rashford--------

Keeper: Hart needs kicking out the squad, very strange bloke, awful keeper that thinks he's great, you don't want that sort of thing in your squad.

Full Backs: Have to be our width, can't trust any of those jokers like Sterling playing out there. Sit Dier in front of centre backs as he often does for Spurs.

Centre Back: Need an in form Stones. Alongside would be good to see someone come through like Maguire or Dunk, but have stuck with Cahill for now.

Central Midfield: With Dier holding, Henderson can provide the legs, Lallana the craft. Play Delli at the top of the diamond.

Strikers: Kane is obviously our best player and Rashford provides the pace and X factor, let him loose down the middle but can drift out when full backs haven't bombed on.

Really struggling beyond these players, especially in midfield and up front.
Surely Jones has to be first choice centre half on current form - he's the only proper defender we have!

And on the basis of form Hart wouldn't have a place in the squad - Butland, Pickford and Heaton to go for me.

The lack of true quality in that midfield is a worry, which makes me think we are better off with three at the back, the solid but uninspiring mids and using the pace down the lines. That probably means Lallana misses out unless Alli or Rashford get injured...

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Warning. Avoid choosing the matches involving Denmark or Ireland when planning your WC TV schedule.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

There's usually one "breakthrough" inclusion that comes into the squad in the 6 months prior to a final. Given the lack of creativity in the midfield could Ruben Loftus Cheek or Harry Winks be the surprise package? Or someone not even on peoples radars yet such as Demarai Gray?

Could someone like Chalobah, Gomez, Maguire or Abraham snap up one of the few remaining places now that they (along with RLC and Winks) are getting chances at club level?

Or will one of Wilshere, Delph or Ox usurp Henderson alongside Dier maybe? Could Young get back in the side given his sudden upturn in form? And what of Ross Barkley?

And any surprise omissions pending to make space? As stated above, for me Hart is the one who needs to give way now but in reality I can't see Southgate making that call. Walcott looks the most likely big casualty atm but Ox, Wilshere, Welbeck and Smalling all at risk.

Likely 23 at this stage to be:

Hart (although should be Heaton as 3rd choice)
Butland
Pickford

Walker
Trippier (ahead of Clyne now)
Stones
Cahill
Jones
Bertrand
Rose

Dier
Henderson
Delph (or Livermore or Winks...or Smalling or Maguire if he wants an extra defender to play 3 at the back...?)
Oxlade-Chamberlain (at risk from Winks)
Wilshere (at risk)
Lallana
Lingard (at risk from Young)
Sterling
Alli

Welbeck (at risk)
Rashford
Vardy
Sturridge (at risk)
Kane

Anyone I've missed (too soon for the younger players successful with England Youth teams over the last 12 months)? Given the strengths and weaknesses above, the most likely surprise package (injuries pending) to break into the 23 for me will be Harry Winks.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Done themselves proud tonight, the penalty and Schar do leave a bitter taste.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

thebillfella wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 14:47 ...
Yep to all you posted.

My thoughts on that 23:
Yep:
Butland
Pickford

Nope:
Hart shite, and everyone knows he is pants down to his left....

Yep:
Walker
Trippier (ahead of Clyne now)
Stones
Bertrand
Rose

Ho hum, I suppose:
Cahill
Jones - I don't think either are that good, but beggars and choosers....

Our only chance of doing "well" is to go 3 at the back, with Dier in front and copy Spurs, imho: so 1 or 2 more are needed?

Yep:
Dier
Alli
Lallana
Sterling
Henderson - (and Raheem, tbh, although he is doing well this season) only because the cupboard is decidedly bare....

Maybe:
Lingard not enough match time?
Delph - can't say that I am convinced, seeing as he has hardly played until this season?

No:
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Wilshere - if Wilshere was vaguely reliable and played then.... but Alli and Lalla are better?

Yep:
Rashford
Vardy
Kane

No:
Welbeck
Sturridge I doubt that they will be fit....

So 15 inc 2 Gk's :?

Pickford\Butland

Stones\Cahill\Jones

Any 2 from the 4 FB's

Dier

Alli\Lalla

Kane

Leaves room for another DM, or an RLC\Barkley (if he passes the ball) type.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Tacalabala wrote:Done themselves proud tonight, the penalty and Schar do leave a bitter taste.
Each and every goal a hotly disputed penalty

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

murf wrote: 12 Nov 2017, 21:40
Tacalabala wrote:Done themselves proud tonight, the penalty and Schar do leave a bitter taste.
Each and every goal a hotly disputed penalty
Indeed. Some teams contain top, top players. Some are just a crock of shite.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

And for the first time in 60 years we have a World Cup without Italy. Hard to believe really, but if they fail to score over 180 minutes they don’t deserve anything more. Could be an interesting rival mini-tournament with Holland, Chile, USA and Wales among others though...

Six consecutive goalless matches in the play-offs though! Certainly doesn’t suggest the winning teams will bring a lot to the table in terms of attacking football next summer...

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

forestfan wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 21:57 And for the first time in 60 years we have a World Cup without Italy.
Hard to believe really, but if they fail to score over 180 minutes they don’t deserve anything more.
I was born 4 years after 1958
I should as well have died 4 years before 2018...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

MoSe wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 08:50
forestfan wrote: 13 Nov 2017, 21:57 And for the first time in 60 years we have a World Cup without Italy.
Hard to believe really, but if they fail to score over 180 minutes they don’t deserve anything more.
I was born 4 years after 1958
I should as well have died 4 years before 2018...
Doesn't look good for 5 years time? :lol:

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

exit the Azzuri ! . the WC will have a different feel next year. Every country (bar one) bordering Italy will be in Russia, with just 3 more to qualify. 0-0 seems to be the standard score line this week with both NZ and Australia in with a good chance plus the Irish of course.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

So RLC impressed against the Germans and tonight Gomez did himself no harm whatsoever against the Brazilians. The two looking most likely to elbow their way into the 23 from these friendlies. A few of the "coasting / take it for granted" established stars now need to be looking seriously over their shoulders.

And the three at the back experiment looking more and more like it will be the best way for us to go.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I wasn;t watching: was it Dier in front of the 3, or just the 3?

I think it is a no-brainer, given Theo et al are actually very 5hite.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Draw Pots by Confederation (no NT from same Confederation, except UEFA up to 2 :arrow: 6 or 7 Groups with 2, 2 or none with 1)
with current FIFA Ranking (Oct 2017)
source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup#Draw
2018 FIFA WC Draw Pots.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

theo29 wrote: 14 Nov 2017, 12:01 exit the Azzuri !
the WC will have a different feel next year. Every country (bar one) bordering Italy will be in Russia,

1. Azzurri (we even lost 1 R! :o ;))
2. actually, 2 out of 4 (Italy has no Croatian border)

theo29
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: previous user

Post by theo29 »

thanks to MoSe for the response. I was trying it on a little just to see if the errors would draw some comment. As a San Siro 'local' the pain must be acute. Were you there for the game ?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I might watch that Draw: it likes like it could be a hoot, as they conjure up a system, which limits it to 2 from each :lol:

It is just about possible to do it - I think: well 96% certain.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I think it's a shame, it really limits the possibility of a group of death.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Would make a good quiz question - "Name the 2 highest ranked teams not to make World Cup 2018". Holland and Italy? Nah, Chile and Wales!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Tacalabala wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 10:42 I think it's a shame, it really limits the possibility of a group of death.
2 African countries in the same Group?

SamD
FISO Knight

World Cup

Post by SamD »

From The Guardian* - the draw: when is it?

The group stage draw will take place this Friday 1 December (15:00 GMT/18:00 local) at the State Kremlin Palace in Moscow.
Organisers promise a 'colourful show representing local culture' before the balls are drawn.

So, 4pm then... BBC2 live coverage spans 90 minutes from 3pm.

More: https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... qualifiers

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I believe that there is a special four hour edition of Five Lives world football phone in that night too. Partly covering the world cup draw and partly celebrating their 20th anniversary.

It's a great football podcast, well worth a listen.

murf
FISO Viscount

Re: World Cup

Post by murf »

SamD wrote: 29 Nov 2017, 17:39 Moscow ..... 'colourful show representing local culture'

So basically just a load of white people insulting black people?????

Maldini
Dumbledore

2018 FIFA WORLD CUP

Post by Maldini »

Murf, why have you started posting like a teenage girl on WhatsApp?

One question mark was, is and will always be enough.

Thank you.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

My way of stressing stuff without emojis!!!!!

Point taken though.

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

theo29 wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 11:21 thanks to MoSe for the response. I was trying it on a little just to see if the errors would draw some comment.
●As a San Siro 'local' the pain must be acute.
●Were you there for the game ?
you're welcome :mrgreen: no pedantry intended, just fsop ;)

Rather than pain, I'd say the feeling was shock.
Something we couldn't believe it could happen.

We were mediocre, and it's totally our fault.
We even hit the woodwork once (or twice?), but it can't be discounted off to bad luck.
It's just a bewilderment feeling that we weren't able to slot one, ONE, in 180'.
We can rather say, we've been assisted by good luck too in a few of our past achievements,
but that didn't come in our support this time, leaving us to bear the consequnce of our threadbare quality in this moment.

And the sad thing, with all due respect for resident Swede, is that we failed against such a poor team as Sweden.
I rate them actually the worst team who had made the playoff. It would have burned less had we gone out vs even Greece.
Last good Sweden team was in WC '94. Then they've been overachieving for over 20yrs, Their U21 title in 2015 was a travesty.

but that's the past, looking forward to today's draw, and to following WC nevertheless
  • Were you there for the game ?
    I actually went inside San Siro no more than a dozen times in my life.
    And only 5 times thereof for a football match, 3 thereof in my pre-teen with granpa.
    I rather like to recall Bob Marley 1980 concert, and a 2009 test match vs All Blacks.
    As for live sports, I was rather an avid basketball follower in my youth, when Milan team won Champions Cup.
    Also sometimes volley, occasionally even baseball, ice hockey and horse racing, but never keen about live football, much better and comfy on TV

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

murf wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 10:47 Image

Would make a good quiz question - "Name the 2 highest ranked teams not to make World Cup 2018". Holland and Italy? Nah, Chile and Wales!
yeah :mrgreen:
remember that the WC Draw Pots above were seeded by October FIFA Ranking,
to avoid teams which then won playoffs to gain advantage over those who directly qualified
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA ... up_seeding

November FIFA ranking is already different,
for instance Spain would have taken France place in Pot 1, and Denmark Uruguay's place in Pot 2
as for missing teams, highest is still Chile in 10th, followed by Italy up to 14th,
while Wales and Holland are now 19th and 20th, behind Sweden and ahead Uruguay.
Of course that ranking is subject to change before WC starts, and it has little actual significance other than being determinant to this draw seeding :)

Going by October ranking anyway, had Italy qualified, we'd have taken a Pot 2 spot, pushing Croatia down to Pot 3 in place of Sweden
Chile and Wales would have had to qualify to playoff first, in place of Peru and Ireland respectively.
So Chile would have been a direct swap for Peru in Pot 2.
While's to be seen whether Wales would have got a better result than Eire in playoff vs Danes, in which case they'd have pushed Croatia to Pot 3 as well

All this for those interested in pointless and sore "what-if draws" 8-)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

It's very strange with no Italy.

People say it might be good to get a tough draw but historically the winners have had easy groups so I'm hoping for three boring games!

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Group top seeds in order

GROUP A RUS URU
GROUP B POR ESP
GROUP C FRA PER
GROUP D ARG
GROUP E BRA
GROUP F GER
GROUP G BEL
GROUP H POL

after "avoiding" RUS, POR and FRA,
with "uneligible" MEX and COL in Pot 2 there were only 3 UEFA teams which could be drawn vs South Am BRA and ARG
England, Croatia, and Switzerland
England had only 33% chance to avoid them... and they succeeded!
Next risk: Germany... dodged that too!
oh, you got in group G vs BEL, how unlucky: you had 50% chance to get Poland at that point...

GROUP A RUS URU
GROUP B POR ESP
GROUP C FRA PER
GROUP D ARG CRO
GROUP E BRA SUI
GROUP F GER MEX
GROUP G BEL ENG
GROUP H POL COL

MoSe
Dumbledore

Post by MoSe »

Russia of course get
2nd worst from Pot 2
3rd worst from Pot 3
the worst of all seeds from Pot 4
(according to October Fifa Ranking, of course)
:roll:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”