To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

You are the Hodgson (Pick the England squad and starting XI)

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Tacalabala
FISO Knight

You are the Hodgson (Pick the England squad and starting XI)

Post by Tacalabala »

Just for fun now that City are clearly going to finish 4th and it's the day before the announcement for the Euro squad, who would you pick in the 23 and start in the XI and why?

My 23:
Keepers - Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton
Defenders - Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, Kyle Walker, Nathaniel Clyne, John Stone, Danny Rose
Midfielders - James Milner, Jordan Henderson, Ross Barkley, Adam Lallana, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Raheem Sterling, Mark Noble
Forwards - Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy, Daniel Sturridge, Wayne Rooney, Marcus Rashford

Really tough choices. I'm inclined to pick Andy Carroll, not least because he does have experience from Euro 2012 and can be electrifying on his day. However, I'm not convinced that he holds quite the same element of surprise that Rashford does. And let's face it, if you have to dip into your fifth striker, he has to be something a bit different. Jermaine Defoe would be like going back, sorry but no.

Mark Noble? Experience in the Prem, had a great season, has the air of a Trevor Sinclair about him. And he offers genuine options. Drinkwater should be in on merit, but is unlikely to see action to be honest.

Starting XI vs Russia:
------------------Hart---------------------
--------------------------------------------
Clyne-----Cahill-----Smalling-----Rose
---------------------------------------------
------------------Dier----------------------
-----------JH----------Lallana------------
Vardy----------------------------------Alli
-----------------Kane----------------------

Yep, no Rooney. I just can't see how you can fit him in without losing one of those front three and keeping a balanced team elsewhere. Also, Liverpool didn't get to the Europa League final through luck, it was hard work and good play, and Henderson and Lallana both contributed to that. I think the rest picks itself.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Re: You are the Hodgson (Pick the England squad and starting XI)

Post by Red Eye »

Back of a fag packet job but here's mine.

Keepers - Hart, Forster, Who Cares
Defenders - Cahill, Smalling, Walker, Clyne, Stones, Rose, Baines
Midfielders – Dier, Milner, Henderson, Wilshere, Barkley, Lallana, Alli, Sterling, Townsend
Forwards - Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Rooney,

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

GK: Hart / Forster / Hodgson (3)

Def: Cahill / Smalling / Stones / Jagielka / Walker / Clyne / Rose / Cresswell (8)

Mid: Dier / Milner / Barkley / Sterling / Alli / Lallana / Rooney / Drinkwater (8)

Att: Kane / Vardy / Sturridge / Carroll (4)

…..…....…….Hart
Walker….Smalling…..Cahill….Rose
………….....Dier
…....Milner……..…Alli
…..………Rooney
……..Vardy…....Kane

Rooney playing more as a midfielder than 'in the hole'

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

Zimmerman wrote:GK: Hart / Forster / Hodgson (3)

Interesting. Very interesting.

Carlos Kickaball
Dumbledore

Post by Carlos Kickaball »

Seriously, a diamond full of central players, and a team with Dele Alli on the left wing? :?

Glad Roy's picking. :lol:

4-2-3-1 : Hart; Rose, Cahill, Smalling, Clyne; Dier, Henderson; Sterling, Alli, Sturridge; Kane.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Keepers - Hart, Forster, Heaton
Defenders - Cahill, Smalling, Walker, Clyne, Stones, Rose, Bertrand
Midfielders – Dier, Milner, Henderson, Wilshere, Barkley, Lallana, Alli, Sterling, Townsend

------------------Hart-------------------
Clyne---Smalling--Stones-----Rose
---------------Dier--Milner------------
Lallana---------Alli---------Townsend
------------------Kane------------------

Once Wilshere up to fitness (if...) he'd come in for Milner, who probably be shunted out into one of the wide positions.

I'd gamble, put my arm around Stones and tell him he's the main man, set up the play.

Alli has to start in number 10 role behind Kane, can't start messing about with his position to shoehorn others in.

Vardy off the bench to cause all sorts of problems late on, in his preferred central role.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Pretty much the same team, barring injuries, that beat the Germans at their place. That "up and at em" hard pressing style

Hart

Clyne Cahill Smalling Rose (Stones not ready IMO)

Dier Barkley/Rooney/Wilshere (undecided about these three)

Lallana Alli Townsend (no Milner please Roy, unless protecting a lead with 10 mins to go)

Kane (Vardy to come on)

Alli and Kane the key men for me.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Keepers - Hart, Forster, Heaton
Forwards - Kane, Vardy, Sturridge, Rooney

Clyne----Smalling----Cahill-----Rose
---------------Dier--Rooney------------
Sterling---------Alli-------------Vardy

Think the defence picks itself albeit the weak link in the team. At the start of the season I would have gone with Stone (and of course Shaw at LB) instead of Cahill but an indifferent season and loss of confidence steers me towards the safer Cahill pick.

Equally, up front Kane is a must, and Alli should start in the number 10 role behind him for me as he does for his club rather than shoe horning him in elsewhere (although I would guess Roy will start Rooney there). We need pace on either flank to balance Kane and Vardy deserves his starting role - the other side is less clear. Sterling is probably preferred by Roy but based on form Townsend may have played himself into that role (a lot may depend on the performance in the friendlies from both of them).

That then brings us to the double pivot midfield - I think we need two in there given the weakness at the back but the above could easily become a 4-3-3. A ball playing midfielder with the ability to play a positive quick forward ball to pick out our pacey wide players is a must for me and this is where we are weak without Carrick being picked.

I've been banging this drum for a while now (partly as a solution to the Rooney conundrum up front given that he is no longer first choice or pacey enough to play that role any more) and it looks like some are starting to see it but I think Rooney is the answer here and also maintains some experience for the team down the spine in an XI full of youthful energy but potentially also the nervousness that comes with inexperience at this level.

I would see him as up against Wilshere for this role and I'm not convinced Wilshere is going to be ready to be a better option. Anyone who saw him in that role tonight and in the last couple of matches has hopefully seen him grow in confidence and influence in that role for Utd - he was immense there tonight and I see no reason why he can't do the same for England (he's certainly better than any other the other midfielders in the list above in that position right now). Wilshere and Rooney together in the double pivot would be great from a fantasy football perspective but alas naive at this level. He would need someone more positionally disciplined in the defensive mid role alongside him and I'm not sure of Henderson's fitness either so I would go with Dier to begin with.

http://bbc.in/1ZXjVwt

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

It was good to see Rooney's performance tonight, I'd still be concerned at the step up in level, from a dominant United at OT to England scrapping it out in the French heat. I do like the experience angle though. It sounds like Rooney is angling to play there in midfield, rather than being assigned a wide role in the front 3, which would be a mistake.

I think Milner has been in great form for Liverpool at back end of the season. Know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he's been supplying plenty of assists and creating other chances, alongside the engine which is often seen as his only offering. Be a good test for him tomorrow night.

Be good to see a positive Rashford debut in one of teh friendlies, could make things very difficult for Roy.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

A lot may come down to the friendlies I guess. I do think it's too soon for Rashford but if he storms the friendlies you never know. And I think Rooney is pretty savvy and realises his starting XI birth is at risk now - coverting to midfield could be a very astute calculated risk by him, especially as he may not make the next tournament.

With his determination he is the sort of player who could play anywhere (could also class him as the 3rd keeper if you like :wink: ). A slim chance that if Rashford makes his mark and Rooney proves his worth in midfield, the likes of Barkley or Lallana could lose out?

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

Yes, I think Barkley, having looked a cert mid season, could be the sacrificial lamb. Would he come on if England needed a goal, or would it be more likely a 2nd striker? If Rashford went ahead of him, how likely would he be called into action, with Vardy & Sturridge potentially there on the bench.

I think Lallana is needed. Remember someone making the point on here a while back, that he's a clever, two footed player, who maybe actually more suited to international football. I think he offers that decent link up play from wide, rather than the speedster down the flank and whip it into the mixer type.

Some tricky decisions on 26 :arrow: 23, then 23 :arrow: 11......

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Clyne----Smalling----Cahill-----Rose
---------------Dier--milner------------
Rooney---------Alli-------------Vardy/sturridge

I think the team will be like that.I don't even like liverpool or man city who james milner has played for but under klopp he has played well . Always looking for the forward pass. And has work hard getting the ball back. I see why he is captain for Liverpool at the moments.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Edmondson wrote:Keepers - Hart, Forster, Heaton

Clyne---Smalling--Stones-----Rose
---------------Dier--Milner------------
Lallana---------Alli---------Townsend

Once Wilshere up to fitness (if...) he'd come in for Milner, who probably be shunted out into one of the wide positions.

I'd gamble, put my arm around Stones and tell him he's the main man, set up the play.

Alli has to start in number 10 role behind Kane, can't start messing about with his position to shoehorn others in.

Vardy off the bench to cause all sorts of problems late on, in his preferred central role.
I think Roy might play that too

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Edmondson wrote:I think Lallana is needed. Remember someone making the point on here a while back, that he's a clever, two footed player, who maybe actually more suited to international football.
That might well have been me :) - technical ability + football brain = International footballer.

Think Barkley is lacking in the brains department at the moment and I just don't see how he gets in the team whatever system you pick.

Agree Rooney played very well last night and generally has done well in that role recently, but how would he cope in real high-intensity games? I'd also say there's a subtle difference from the way Bill sets it out - United are playing a single DM with two ahead, so I'd see it more like this if you go Rooney in midfield...

....................Hart

Clyne....Smalling.....Stones......Rose
...................Dier
............Alli........Rooney
Lallana.........................Sterling
...................Kane

Obviously there's a whole range of options in that midfield area though. In some of the qualifiers I seem to recall Wilshere played at the base of the midfield with grafters (Henderson/Delph) either side - not sure you'd want to go Wilshere-Rooney-Alli, and you wouldn't want to leave out Alli if he keeps up his form. So it's complicated and you can't pick everyone, still its good to have options in forward areas. Pity about the defence.

Think I'd start Lallana whatever - ball retention always has to be England's first concern as its our big downfall and he helps with that. Welbeck is a loss but it might give Vardy an opportunity to play in that wide-forward role ahead of Sterling, where he could be a real threat.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

Red Eye wrote:
Edmondson wrote: I'd also say there's a subtle difference from the way Bill sets it out - United are playing a single DM with two ahead, so I'd see it more like this if you go Rooney in midfield...

....................Hart

Clyne....Smalling.....Stones......Rose
...................Dier
............Alli........Rooney
Lallana.........................Sterling
...................Kane

Pity about the defence.

Think I'd start Lallana whatever - ball retention always has to be England's first concern as its our big downfall and he helps with that. Welbeck is a loss but it might give Vardy an opportunity to play in that wide-forward role ahead of Sterling, where he could be a real threat.
Agreed; did mention my formation could easily become a 4-3-3 but the reason I think we should put 2 in the pivot is to screen that defence a little more than with just the one there [some would say it makes little difference but the starting formation just changes the mindset of some players IMO from one of disciplined positions to one of a bit more freedom, plus the 4-2-3-1 pushes Alli closer to Kane leaving him less isolated IMO). But the beauty here is that there is very little needed to change from one formation (tighter) to the other (more open)].

Lallana is one I'd taken my eye off of late to be honest but agree he seems to be more of an asset at international level than domestically. On this season's form, if Hodgson was to find a space for him it would be Sterling that I'd drop and not Vardy personally.

But let's be honest, we all know Hodgson is likely to play Rooney at no. 10...

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

Agree with the two guys above . Like the team minus Sterling

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

thebillfella wrote:But let's be honest, we all know Hodgson is likely to play Rooney at no. 10...
Maybe, but it's hard to see how you get both Alli and Rooney in the same team if he does that.

thebillfella
FISO Knight

Post by thebillfella »

Red Eye wrote:
thebillfella wrote:But let's be honest, we all know Hodgson is likely to play Rooney at no. 10...
Maybe, but it's hard to see how you get both Alli and Rooney in the same team if he does that.
That's the problem. I hope I'm wrong and he follows our template!!!

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

thebillfella wrote:
Red Eye wrote:
    That's the problem. I hope I'm wrong and he follows our template!!!
    Isn't Lallana an attacking midfielder? Lallana replaced the injured wane Rooney last time and played well. I can't find a way to show you, but an English manager on the game pro evo plays a team the looks like Roys and it has 2 attacking midfielders. Of course one of them is on the right but it's very narrow.

buu1333
    Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

So the problem is you have got 3 attacking midfielders .unless you play Rooney CM

Darbyand
    FISO Knight
    FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

buu1333 wrote: wane Rooney

thebillfella
    FISO Knight

Re: RE: Re: You are the Hodgson (Pick the England squad and starting XI)

Post by thebillfella »

buu1333 wrote:So the problem is you have got 3 attacking midfielders .unless you play Rooney CM
    That's addressed in my proposal buu

Edmondson
    Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

Rooney getting frustrated and flying in for a yellow, flicking out as well after being fouled.

Rooney waltzing past 4 players before setting up goal.

Which evidence from the FA Cup Final is most relevant for the Euro's.... :?

Maldini
    Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

If Smalling is our best central defender, I wouldn't worry too much about Rooney.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”