To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Euro 2016 - England strikers

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Euro 2016 - England strikers

Post by morganb »

Both Welbeck and Sturridge have recovered from their injuries and scored on their return at the weekend. I have a horrible feeling that Roy would rather select these two over Vardy for this summer's Euros if they remain fit.

I assume he will also be looking at taking Rooney and Kane.

So, which strikers do you think Roy will take to the Euros and who will miss out (or be played horribly out of position)?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Euro 2016 - England strikers

Post by forestfan »

Out of those five, Rooney would deserve to be the one left behind, though obviously if fit he won't be!

Can he risk both Welbeck and Sturridge from a fitness point of view? It's a shame if Vardy does miss out as it's likely to be his one chance, and playing for a "fashionable" club certainly helps your cause, whatever the league table says.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I'd leave Sturridge behind personally. Excellent player when fit but he's virtually missed the last two years (Klopp even suggested it's a mental issue regarding his injuries).

Kane, Rooney, Vardy and Welbeck for me.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

A fit Sturridge is England's best goalscoring striker. Kane should play ahead of Rooney. Vardy has had a very good season, but I don't really see how he fits into the way England play football.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Make a call in 3 months time. Why even discuss it now? (although if discussing it the post above makes some good sense - Sturridge every day for me.... if fit....)

A few others could fill the gap if some of the 5 get crocked. Defoe & Theo for 2. Still also time for someone to find form (Andy Carroll?) or a new youth to emerge (Emile Heskey??)

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote:Make a call in 3 months time. Why even discuss it now?
Partly because Roy was on Match of the Day at the weekend and Lineker said he was lucky with the strikers he had available (Rooney, Kane and Vardy on the graphic) then Roy specifically mentioned Welbeck as an option (even though he's had injury problems).

And partly as it's quite quiet in Fantasy Football Land this week so thought we needed a good topic for discussion.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

eastcentral1 wrote:A fit Sturridge is England's best goalscoring striker. Kane should play ahead of Rooney. Vardy has had a very good season, but I don't really see how he fits into the way England play football.
England's way of 'playing' is generally without the ball, chasing shadows, so the 'out-ball' of Vardy (plus ability to defend from the front) I think is a real bonus - he can score a goal out of nothing and he absolutely has to go for me. Kane is also nailed on, as is Rooney.

Sturridge has a long way to go to prove his fitness. Welbeck has been out but doesn't have the same history so I expect is more likely to stay fit and he's been ever-present over the last few years - Hodgson likes him, his record for England is good and he's very versatile and athletic. If he stays fit I'd be very surprised if he doesn't go. Personally I'd find room for five strikers if all the above are properly fit. Always think the squad is cluttered up with two or three very average players who make up the numbers.

Could be a really exciting squad actually and there's a nucleus there that could prove half-decent in a few years, if only we could learn to play with intelligence and composure.

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Post by eastcentral1 »

I am not sure that not being able to keep possession is the same as a team who is solid at defending and plays on the counterattack.

Anyway, England (not my team) probably have the best choice of strikers in my memory. And goalies. But in between they are still lacking, in particular the back four (would it include Baines, Cahill and Stones?) doesn't look great and, as you say, they don't have someone in the middle of the park who can play with composure. Although, as I type this, I realise Dier could be what they have been missing for all these years (and it's not exactly a coincidence that he's not and "English" footballer!).

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

eastcentral1 wrote:I am not sure that not being able to keep possession is the same as a team who is solid at defending and plays on the counterattack.
Well no its not by design but either way we usually find ourselves camped in our half and he's some weapon to have on the break. We'd be mad not to take Vardy.

Think the passing is a cultural thing - we just seem to want to play at 100 mph and that lends itself to producing players like Henderson, Delph, Milner etc. Not sure where Wilshere is or whether Carrick is retired/un-retired but we're lacking people who can put their foot on the ball and dictate the play. Even when we have them we historically don't pick them (Hoddle) or play them in their right position (Scholes). Pirlo would never get in the England team.

But yes, hopefully we won't have to resort to a Carroll or Crouch this time.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Post by AkNotSpur »

I'm pretty much in agreement with Red Eye. You've got to be realistic and look at what's going to work best in games where England will struggle to get more than 40% of the ball. All things being even, I think that, as a combination, Rooney and Kane might be the best pairing. Sturridge has a ton of ability but is very much an individual who seems to peform as and when it suits him.

Assuming fitness, I think that Hodgson will actually take Rooney, Kane, Welbeck and Sturridge - with a choice between Vardy and Walcott for the 5th spot.

Interestingly, no one has mentioned Stirling yet. Is that because he's not regarded as a striker or because you all agree with me that he's totally overrated and lacks the ability to be playing international football? However, I suspect that Hodgson will pick him if Welbeck isn't fit.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Sterling and Walcott will fall into the attacking midfielder/wide player in a front three category, they won't play through the middle except in an emergency, whereas Rooney, Kane and Vardy are genuine strikers and Sturridge and Welbeck can fit into either role.

Sure Sterling will go even though he's had an ordinary first season at City.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

England have played 4-3-3 recently, so we're looking for one central striker, and two wide guys.

Taking all 5 of Kane, Vardy, Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck means they'd be covering those wide areas. Welbeck has done a job either side in the past and is pretty willing and can be effective. Much was made of Vardy not being keen about being out of position, Sturridge certainly doesn't like being shunted out wide, and never seen Kane used out wide, he is a genuine central front man.

I don't see Rooney being a viable option in any of the front 3 positions. If we do revert t playing Rooney off a front man, and just 2 central midfielders, we will get torn to pieces, and completely ruins how we might want to use likes of Barkley and Alli.

For the benefit of England, the best thing would be for Rooney's knee injury to be worse than first thought and rule him out the tournament. Roy will definitely pick him.

England's best hope is to try and emulate the high energy, pacy game plan of the likes of Spurs and Leicester. We don't have the players to keep the ball, playing intricate stuff.

Welbeck and Sturridge would both need decent finishes to the season to claim their places. Welbeck could be a 4th number 9, but also cover the wide slots with likes of Sterling, Walcott, Lallana.

Start with Kane number 9, 2 quick guys, one either side, and see if he can get hold of it, bring the wide guys in. He gives you the option in the air for crosses, but could also nail something from just outside the box. Vardy maybe useful later on, if we're sat in defending a lead or trying to hold onto a draw.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

forestfan wrote:Sterling and Walcott will fall into the attacking midfielder/wide player in a front three category, they won't play through the middle except in an emergency, whereas Rooney, Kane and Vardy are genuine strikers and Sturridge and Welbeck can fit into either role.

Sure Sterling will go even though he's had an ordinary first season at City.
Walcott is useful in one, and only one, situation and that's where the game is stretched and there is space behind the defence. Against top class opposition, Sterling isn't any use whatsoever as his end product at that level is zero - can't pass, can't cross and can't shoot accurately.

Welbeck usually puts in a decent shift for England and adds attacking balance; Vardy possibly offers a bit more than Walcott, and is probably more durable (not difficult, I know); but, to my mind anyway, Rooney offers more in the way of end product than the lot of them put together if played in the correct position with the appropriate partner! Let's say England make it to the KOs and there's an goal-scoring opportunity in and around the box, who would you prefer that chance to fall to...possibly the guy who is going to finish his career as the all-time top scorer for England and Manchester United...just possibly?

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

I'd prefer the chance to fall to Sturridge. It took Rooney months to get anywhere near his best this season. With another two months out and even longer to regain sharpness he probably won't be ready but that won't stop the manager playing him.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

You'd want a chance to fall to Kane over Rooney, a no brainer.

"If Rooney played in right position with appropriate partner" that's the issue, the cost to the rest of the side.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

eastcentral1 wrote:
Anyway, England (not my team) probably have the best choice of strikers in my memory. And goalies.
Have to totally disagree with this. Around Euro 94 we had the likes of Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Ferdinand, Fowler, Sutton, Wright, Collymore and Matt Le Tissier

And keepers around1990 were Shilton, Seaman, Woods, Martyn and Beasant

eastcentral1
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: Euro 2016 - England strikers

Post by eastcentral1 »

Ashers wrote:
eastcentral1 wrote:
Anyway, England (not my team) probably have the best choice of strikers in my memory. And goalies.
Have to totally disagree with this. Around Euro 94 we had the likes of Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Ferdinand, Fowler, Sutton, Wright, Collymore and Matt Le Tissier

And keepers around1990 were Shilton, Seaman, Woods, Martyn and Beasant
That's stretching my memory!

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

Edmondson wrote:You'd want a chance to fall to Kane over Rooney, a no brainer.

"If Rooney played in right position with appropriate partner" that's the issue, the cost to the rest of the side.
Well Rooney has scored 51 goals for England and Harry Kane has netted 3! Sturridge is an excellent finisher, but equally likely to injure himself during the dance routine that follows.

IMHO, they are ideal partners as Rooney is at his best playing off a front man who can hold the ball up on the ground and win balls in the air.

If Rooney isn't fully fit for Euro 2016, England's chances will be gratefully reduced; disappearing even further if Jack Wilshire doesn't make it as, at his best, he's a class above any other England midfielder (including Ross Barkley and Dele Alli).

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

AkNotSpur wrote:

Well Rooney has scored 51 goals for England and Harry Kane has netted 3! Sturridge is an excellent finisher, but equally likely to injure himself during the dance routine that follows.

IMHO, they are ideal partners as Rooney is at his best playing off a front man who can hold the ball up on the ground and win balls in the air.

If Rooney isn't fully fit for Euro 2016, England's chances will be gratefully reduced; disappearing even further if Jack Wilshire doesn't make it as, at his best, he's a class above any other England midfielder (including Ross Barkley and Dele Alli).
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

AkNotSpur wrote:

But AK he's yesterday's man ? He's had numerous chances in major tournaments and with the exception of Euro 2000, his contribution has been bloody awful. Back in 2000, he was the hungry young lion. Now we've got Kane and Vardy. Ok, so not really young but the hunger is there. Kane shoots on sight and Vardy doesn't stop running. Welbeck is fairly versatile and can play anywhere. Rooney now struts around, argues with the ref, slags off the fans and tries to spray Hollywood style 40 yard passes over the pitch, very few of which come off. He's done well at club level but his hunger has gone.

Dele Alli should be nailed on in MF. Give him a chance. I remember watching with frustation England in the 90s...Geoff Thomas, Carlton Palmer......and one poxy cap for Matt Le Tissier :twisted: . That still bugs me. Give Alli a chance and he could have a Gazza 1990 type tournament.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

eastcentral1 wrote:A fit Sturridge is England's best goalscoring striker. Kane should play ahead of Rooney. Vardy has had a very good season, but I don't really see how he fits into the way England play football.
Kane and vardy high press don't they . We now have a lot of spurs players who know how to high press well.We also had a few liverpool players too yesterday ,who are high pressing well, or are learning how to . We are evolving. I agree Rooney should not start we need fast natural goal score.

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

This is a good read about pochettino methods http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35739244

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

bluenosey wrote:But AK he's yesterday's man ? He's had numerous chances in major tournaments and with the exception of Euro 2000, his contribution has been bloody awful. Back in 2000, he was the hungry young lion. Now we've got Kane and Vardy. Ok, so not really young but the hunger is there. Kane shoots on sight and Vardy doesn't stop running. Welbeck is fairly versatile and can play anywhere. Rooney now struts around, argues with the ref, slags off the fans and tries to spray Hollywood style 40 yard passes over the pitch, very few of which come off. He's done well at club level but his hunger has gone.

Dele Alli should be nailed on in MF. Give him a chance. I remember watching with frustation England in the 90s...Geoff Thomas, Carlton Palmer......and one poxy cap for Matt Le Tissier :twisted: . That still bugs me. Give Alli a chance and he could have a Gazza 1990 type tournament.
Well, to be accurate Rooney starred in Euro 2004 and I wouldn't dismiss him on the basis of a single friendly game even if England did play well without him (for a change). Much, of course, will depend on his match fitness come June, but if he is fit I still think that he'd thrive playing off Kane. OTOH, Dele Alli might bring something that England have been missing for a long time - but it's still a big ask for a 19 year old in a major tournament although definitely worth the risk now that the chances of Wilshire appearing are vanishing by the week. At least England now has some attacking and midfield options...it's just a shame about their defending.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Hodgson needs to be ruthless and take on board that at finals you are playing a higher level of opponent than in the qualifiers.
But we all know, if nothing else Roy is 'old school' and will show loyalty to the group of players that got them into the finals.
The theory that you play the best 11 players on form you have available will not sway him.
I fully expect Rooney, Barry, and Milner along with the established team to be selected in that first group game.
Even if Holland win comfortably against a more recognisable team on Wednesday, as this is has to be the end of the experiments, the remainder of friendlies before the Euros should be more or less Roy's first XI.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

you expect Barry and Milner to start :shock: :o

I would take all 5 of the players mentioned above given their combined experience and flexibility, but currently would only consider starting Kane and Vardy based on current form.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Edmondson wrote:England have played 4-3-3 recently, so we're looking for one central striker, and two wide guys.
Looked like a 4-1-4-1 against Germany to me, and similarly against Lithuania no? Very little between the two in all honesty given that both involve one central striker, which is essentially your point (and on that basis it has to be Kane right now).

The wide guys however need to be able to track back a little deeper - this might not act in Vardy's favour if that is Roy's intention (unless of course he falls into the age old England manager trap of fitting square pegs in round holes).

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

I'd go for a 4-3-3 with Vardy and Welbeck supporting Kane. Plenty of potential for interchanging positions there.

Hodgson has got form for crowbarring Rooney in - think he started on left wing vs Italy in 2014. But at least (unlike the last two United managers) he's figured out that fans will be largely supportive/indifferent if he does decide to leave the fat scouser out.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

I thought it worked quite well with Lallana on the opposite side to Welbeck and Vardy coming off the bench. Someone like Lallana naturally helps link up in midfield, where we are usually hopelessly outplayed, and I think he's well suited to International football as he actually has skill. Ideally I'd always like to see someone who can dribble if you are playing 4-3-3 but don't see that many options, especially with Sterling injured.

Clearly Kane is the spearhead now. I didn't think he did much in the game the other night but he took his goal superbly and that changed the game so you can't say fairer than that. Thought Alli was a revelation and has to be kept in so long as his form continues so don't see Rooney playing one of those two midfield roles either (pity we can't seem to find anyone better than Henderson though).

So at the moment Rooney probably wouldn't warrant a place in the side but a lot can change so its a bit of a moot argument whilst we're still in March. Of course this wasn't a debate being widely held a few weeks ago when Rooney was playing and actually scoring a few goals. Also don't think we should go overboard about the other night - heard SSN this morning describe it as 'heroics' :roll: Come on - the day that happens in a tournament I'll be impressed. Don't think the Germans are worried somehow...

buu1333
Grumpy Old Man

Post by buu1333 »

thebillfella wrote:
Edmondson wrote:England have played 4-3-3 recently, so we're looking for one central striker, and two wide guys.
Looked like a 4-1-4-1 against Germany to me, and similarly against Lithuania no? Very little between the two in all honesty given that both involve one central striker, which is essentially your point (and on that basis it has to be Kane right now).

The wide guys however need to be able to track back a little deeper - this might not act in Vardy's favour if that is Roy's intention (unless of course he falls into the age old England manager trap of fitting square pegs in round holes).
4-1-4-1 is about right . Game pes16 thinks the same in my club. But the 4 in middle are not a line it's like second striker is a bit wide (welbeck or vardy). 2 attacking midfielders and a centre midfielder. That is the 4. Then the one DM in front of the back four

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”