To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Crazy Scenes in Paris

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Crazy Scenes in Paris

Post by blahblah »

Shootings and possibly bombs near the stadium....

Being reported on Auntie, no links atm.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Re: Crazt Scenes in Paris

Post by quizking »

4 deaths according to sky, but at least 18 according to a french station. The german hotel was evacuated last night due to a bomb scare, but no indication as yet if the attacks are connected with the football, though the french president hollande was at the match.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Crazy Scenes in Paris

Post by blahblah »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34814203

Auntie saying at least 18 deaded.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Reports on 5live of hostage taking in a concert hall, and even hand grenades thrown at the stade de france. Doesn't sound like a string of coincidences.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

France24 reporting 60 hostages being held at the bataclan concert hall, no link yet

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

Three seperate incidents coordinated attack across the capital, suspected suicide bomber. Sounds terrorism related attack possibly similar to other atrocities earlier this year.
Last edited by liquidfootball2 on 13 Nov 2015, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Sounds like more than 3, so something of a coincidence, or co-ordinated.

Up to 26 now.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

You can hear an explosion at or outside the ground while play goes on

Take a look at @RichardBuxton_'s Tweet: https://twitter.com/RichardBuxton_/stat ... 87840?s=08

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Dutch press reporting 6 attacks, up to 60 dead and 100 hostages.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Pres. Hollande has declared a state of emergency, french borders closed. Not everyone reads the news - best let anyone you know who is travelling...

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

As you' will have seen by now if following, over 100 killed in the concert hall.

3 killed at stade de france ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34816905

And though it doesn't matter, the "friendly" england france match on tuesday is of course off.

Re earlier borders closing - latest is that airports will still be open, not clear otherwise.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

England v France goes ahead on Tuesday

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Who gives a shit?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

about the match or the atrocities in Paris?

Maldini
Dumbledore

Crazy Scenes in Paris

Post by Maldini »

The match.

It was meaningless before last nights horrific events.

The only justification I can see in playing it, is if all the proceeds are donated to a relevant charity but even then, the danger of further attacks must mean cancelling it would be the right decision.

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

Maldini wrote:...the danger of further attacks must mean cancelling it would be the right decision.
But then surely they've won? It looks like these terror attacks are part of normal life now. They will happen from time to time, just like tsunamis, earthquakes, and lunatics who go into schools and shoot a bunch of innocent kids. 99.99% of people won't be directly impacted, so surely the only way is to accept that sh!t happens, and continue living our lives in exactly the same way as we always have. What else could / should we do? :/

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Playing the match is plain wrong, imho. To go from three days National Mourning to a football match like that one is strange to say the least. But then I don't think such events should be considered normal, just as I don't think random\illegal invasions\bombings should be considered normal\acceptable either.

I hope it was because the FFF and French Govt want it to happen.

Oh and Cameron's "be prepared for British casualties" from the Paris attacks was jaw-dropping to say the very least.

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

blahblah wrote:...just as I don't think random\illegal invasions\bombings should be considered normal\acceptable either.
I don't understand what you mean by this. 9/11 happened. The London and Madrid bombings happened. 'Charlie' happened. And last night happened. (Apologies for the various other I've missed). So, for me clearly the 'normal' is that these things will now happen from time to time, not every week, in fact infrequent enough for us to be shocked when they do happen. In terms of acceptability, I don't understand the relevance in this context - we can't just say 'this is unacceptable' and it stops - we have no choice but to accept it, unless you have some feasible idea to genuinely beat it? :?

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

They happen every week in the Sub continent / Middle East.

But they don't count, do they?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Nope: ditto same as corporal punishment unless they are for some old British geezer whose family play the media and as a by product cease the UK govt from spunking as load of cash on some dodgy prison system - where on earth did the Tories get the idea for that one?

sibrown4
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFC Lions 2nd in League of Leagues Triumph. Draft FPL/TFF Combo League Winner 2018-19

Post by sibrown4 »

Story emerging that one of the terrorists that blew himself up outside the Stade last night was refused entry to the game.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacker-tr ... 1447520571

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

sibrown4 wrote:Story emerging that one of the terrorists that blew himself up outside the Stade last night was refused entry to the game.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacker-tr ... 1447520571
That being the case the stewards that stopped him deserve the highest award in bravery. Just think what could have happened.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote:Playing the match is plain wrong, imho. To go from three days National Mourning to a football match like that one is strange to say the least. But then I don't think such events should be considered normal, just as I don't think random\illegal invasions\bombings should be considered normal\acceptable either.

I hope it was because the FFF and French Govt want it to happen.

Oh and Cameron's "be prepared for British casualties" from the Paris attacks was jaw-dropping to say the very least.
Blah at least one UK National has died (a merchandise seller) and at least three managed to escape from the rock concert, so why is Cameron's message "jaw dropping" ? I think - although I hope I'm wrong - there could be more.

As for the match, well it would be great if all the England fans could hold up tricolours. Make Wembley French. Not bothered about the match at all but as a show of solidarity and a big two fingers to the terrorists, it would be great.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Wrong because any GB deaths will be a drop in the ocean, imho.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Try telling that to his family.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: Crazy Scenes in Paris

blahblah wrote:Wrong because any GB deaths will be a drop in the ocean, imho.
unbelievable

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”