To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

FIFA Mens Under-20 World Cup 2015: NZ

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

FIFA Mens Under-20 World Cup 2015: NZ

Post by AkNotSpur »

Yes, a FIFA tournament being held in Winter - with no bribery (Kiwis can't afford bungs), or water carriers! An age-group in which the UK shows little, or no, interest - but the likes of Germany, Argentina and Brazil are here. Traditionally, it appears to be a competition dominated by South American countries (Argentina 6 wins, Brazil 5). In Europe the UEFA U-21 cup seems to take precedence, although France won in 2013 (but are absent here, along with Italy, Spain and Holland).

After pool play (6 groups of 4), we are now down to the KOs...

Ghana v Mail
Serbia v Hungary
USA v Columbia
Ukraine v Senegal
Austria v Uzbekistan
Germany v Nigeria
NZ v Portugal
Brazil v Uruguay

Biggest shock was the departure of favourites Argentina (past teams have included Maradona and Messi). To date, Portugal look to be the strongest (followed by Brazil, Germany and USA). I've also enjoyed the (very skillful) Africans and am looking forward to the (potential) QF between Brazil and Portugal here in Hamilton on Sunday.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Re: FIFA Mens Under-20 World Cup 2015: NZ

Post by AkNotSpur »

Generally, I detest penalty shoot-outs but I loved the performance of the Senagalese keeper, Ibu Sy in tonight's game against Ukraine. Three terrific saves and he seemed to love the whole thing. Not a bad performance in the 120 minutes, either. Sign him up, Spurs!! Equaliser in normal time was scored by Sidy Sarr - a fresh-faced version of Patrick Vieira, although my Gooner mate (Grandad to FISO veterans) is still not convinced.

Also through today are USA, Serbia and Mali. I'm off to watch the All Whites play Portugal tomorrow - don't give the locals much of a chance but, as they say, it's a funny old game!

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

Sunday's Quarter-Finals...

Brazil v Portugal
Mali v Germany
USA v Serbia
Uzbekistan v Senegal

Valiant effort by the Junior All Whites against Portugal last night, but class told at the bitter end. Really looking forward to Sunday's game in Hamilton - the Brazil v Portugal clash.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore

Post by AkNotSpur »

...and then there were 4...

Brazil v Senegal
Mail v Serbia

In reality, the best team in this tournament have been Portugal but, although they dominated the game against Brazil, they were let down by poor finishing and an England-like performance in the penalty shoot-out.

Great to see the Lions of Senegal win again and must have a decent chance against Brazil - if they can crack a very tight defence marshaled by Lucao who, I believe, will be a star of the future.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”