To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Euro 2016 Qualifying

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Re: Euro 2016 Qualifying

Post by jimmy ching »

I'm dreading this German game tonight. Ireland just aren't made for this type of game.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

I think the ROI couldn't have chosen a better time to play them. It obviously doesn't guarantee that they won't be hammered, but i'd much rather meet a team on the back of poor results and with confidence perhaps slightly dented than one full of confidence having just won yet again.

A lot of nonsense is written about how it couldn't be a worse time to meet them, as it can always be the worst time to meet them as they're either full of confidence or never more dangerous than just after a surprise defeat.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

When is there ever a good time to play Germany? Euro 2000 excluded.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Tacalabala wrote:When is there ever a good time to play Germany? Euro 2000 excluded.
When Owen, Heskey and Gerrard are on fire! - probably the last time I really enjoyed watching an England game :lol:

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

liquidfootball2 wrote:I think the ROI couldn't have chosen a better time to play them. It obviously doesn't guarantee that they won't be hammered, but i'd much rather meet a team on the back of poor results and with confidence perhaps slightly dented than one full of confidence having just won yet again.

A lot of nonsense is written about how it couldn't be a worse time to meet them, as it can always be the worst time to meet them as they're either full of confidence or never more dangerous than just after a surprise defeat.
Poland result didn't surprise me. After the Scotland game (in Germany) there was a real sense of disappointment "we" didn't take anything from the game. I would expect Ireland to hold their own and be looking for (at least) a point.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

As things stand, Germany don't even get a play-off... the Dutch just about do.

Great start for the home nations though. Northern Ireland with a 100% record and 8 points ahead of group favourites Greece already!

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Yep, i still think Germany will finish top though, but Ireland and Poland now have a definite advantage in the race to qualify.

I would be surprised if Northern Ireland didn't qualify, injuries with their small squad could be a problem but they're probably as good as any of the others in the group.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Yep, i still think Germany will finish top though, but Ireland and Poland now have a definite advantage in the race to qualify.

disagree, we've had our two hardest games and have looked great so far, yes only got 4 points but expecting good things. It's the group to watch though really.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Yes Scotland have played really well and their games against Ireland will be massive, i certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them progress, i just think that Ireland's point in Germany could be crucial.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Yes Scotland have played really well and their games against Ireland will be massive, i certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them progress, i just think that Ireland's point in Germany could be crucial.

knowing scotland it'll come down to goal difference and it'll either be ...

we have to beat gibraltar 6-0 ........and win 6-1

or we'll sneak it and get Holland in the play offs and get pumped
:lol: :lol:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Scotland are on a revival. About time too.

Ireland are still the same as they have been for years. That pecky little team that irritates but you eventually get the better of. Just a small observation, they are actually scoring last minute goals instead of conceding them.

Poland, a hard team to gage, What a result for them against Germany. They have been in a slumber and I was expecting them to struggle but they're not, Damn.

The Germans. Are they suffering from overblown arrogance, or have the opposing managers cracked their system? It is unchartered territory for the Germans, are they slowly turning English?

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Been a good few days for the local 'underdog' teams.
Wales, Scotland, RoI, N. Ireland, England, all had good results.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Looking at the fixtures the one really close group could look like this in April

14 November Georgia Poland
14 November Germany Gibraltar
14 November Scotland RepIreland
29 March Georgia Germany
29 March Scotland Gibraltar
29 March RepIreland Poland

1 Germany P 5 Pts 10
1 Poland P 5 Pts 10
1 Rep Ireland P 5 Pts 10
1 Scotland P 5 Pts 10

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by Judio on 15 Oct 2014, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Germany have lost over half their World Cup winning side and so aren't nearly as strong right now. However with the strength of the game there it's hardly going to take very long for them to build a new dominant team, can't see them not winning the group with some ease despite their start.

There is effectively no qualifying campaign for England as we're clearly much better than anyone else in the group, the games continue to be glorified friendlies.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Is my memory failing me or is it really true.
It seems that the Home Nation teams always seem to get good results in the September/October games yet fail miserably in the November ones.
Good job, Scotland Ireland are playing each other in November. :D

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

Serbia - Albania game went well I see :roll:

from article on Gizmodo

The drone was flying a flag referring to Greater Albania: an area covering all parts of the Balkans, in which ethnic Serbians reside, but which spreads into other countries in the area.

Carbone
Treebeard

Post by Carbone »

Yup, a Serb here... I haven't watched a national team game since SA 2010, and decided to watch this one yesterday... won't be repeating that mistake again, not until we actually qualify for something.

Everybody here expected a provocation, but I hoped our fans have evolved just a little bit, and that they will be smart enough to ignore it... but no. I also expected if they do answer the provocation that gazillion of police present throughout would stop it... but no.

I've been strongly advocating to terminate any football activity here for at least two years, to change the laws, make football clubs private, and introduce financial transparency laws, etc...

What I expect now is for UEFA to be "diplomatic" since this is a political issue, so they can't punish just one side, because it would cause revolt... so I guess financial fines (and perhaps empty stands for X games), big one for Serbia for bad organisation, flares, fans on the field, smaller one for Albania, for breaking the "no political stuff on stadiums" rules, and a game played on neutral pitch some time... but I'm actually hoping for something more serious.

... also, Putin's coming to Belgrade tomorrow, fun times.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

They need to start punishing teams properly, and kicking them out of tournaments. And stop the crap of having teams who are not allowed to draw each other - if they think a fixture might cause problems then play it behind closed doors. Although now drones are a factor they might have to use the Millennium Stadium with the roof closed.

Football isn't the place for political protests. Apart from England lining up with a "The Falklands Are British" banner, which I'm very disappointed we haven't done yet :wink:

Carbone
Treebeard

Post by Carbone »

Well, I'd pay to see the reaction on La Bombonera if a drone with that banner would fly around. :D

Yup, FIFA/UEFA needs sterner (is that even a word) and equal treatment for all.

Also, the problem here was that Serbs asked for both games to be played without visiting crowds, to try and prevent provocation, than Albania refused, but then also didn't sell any tickets to their fans, so there were no Albanian fans in the stadium... except from the diplomatic delegation of Albania, and it seems one of their representatives (Albanian PM's brother, supposedly) flew the drone... and we are having an official visit from the Albanian PM soon, first after 70 years, since our relations are improving :D ... Balkan's silly like that.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Carbone wrote:Well, I'd pay to see the reaction on La Bombonera if a drone with that banner would fly around. :D.
Who needs a drone. Could get Clarkson to parachute in with the banner. Two birds. One stone :mrgreen:

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

England will definitely qualify.

Ireland, N. Ireland, Wales, Scotland all have more than a good chance now with their starts and you'd have to be really shit anyway to not finish in the top 3.

Bit different in Germany's group as they will qualify, Poland have already beaten them so unless Scotland and Ireland beat Poland you'd have to think it's 1 from the 2.

Wales have to make sure Bale and Ramsey are fit and available for their games and they should be good.

NI are top and their group isn't too difficult.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Looking at the World Cup qualifiers, 18-20 pts seemed to be about the range for 2nd in a group, so Northern Ireland look like they are halfway there.

The Real Slim Shady
Dumbledore
FS Record: 1,465th in FPL 05/06

Post by The Real Slim Shady »

When's the last time they qualified for anything?

And when's the last time all the home nations qualified for a tournament :shock: :shock: :shock: (including Ireland)

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Northern Ireland was 1986 world cup. They've been waiting 30 years. Population is less than 2m...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I think Wales have only ever qualified for the 1958 World Cup, when I believe all four home nations were there. The Republic weren't, think their tournament debut was Euro 1988 so we've never had all five British/Irish sides together.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

More flames on the qualifying fire...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29932722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only on one day of the week - Wednesday - are there no games scheduled. Matches sneak up on you when you least expect them - Thursday nights, Sunday tea-time, Sunday evenings.

It is death by meaningless match, suffocation by complication. And for what? To arguably do it all over again once summer 2016 comes around.

Agree.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

tommymooney wrote:More flames on the qualifying fire...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29932722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only on one day of the week - Wednesday - are there no games scheduled. Matches sneak up on you when you least expect them - Thursday nights, Sunday tea-time, Sunday evenings.

It is death by meaningless match, suffocation by complication. And for what? To arguably do it all over again once summer 2016 comes around.

Agree.
There is nothing wrong with the concept of spreading the games over six days, the problem is that it is now too easy to qualify. Do not conflate the two issues as if they are one and the same.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

fair enough, but don't think it warranted starting a separate thread!

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Bit of a let down this Scotland-Ireland game.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”