To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Friendly International games?

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Re: Friendly International games?

Post by Tacalabala »

forestfan wrote:
Shaggy365 wrote:... and the big international friendly is due this weekend, when the only undefeated international team take on Faroe Islands. (Some seats still available, if you can get across to Gibraltar)
They play "home" games in Portugal don't they...
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... reparation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Faroe players will be framing this bit:
The Faroes were technically more competent and confident, though, and could have won even more convincingly, had it not been for a missed penalty.

They looked dangerous at every opportunity[...]

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Stuffed by the Faroe Islands. Hope UEFA are holding their heads in shame.....

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

In context:

matches the Faroe's biggest ever win.

Faroes have only ever won 18 games in 157 attempts.

bring on the Germans!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

But they drew with Slovakia who are no mugs... expect them to sign up a few more British passport holders who won't make a career with one of the the four Home Nations before qualifying begins.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

... and at 'home' to Estonia on Weds.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

forestfan wrote:But they drew with Slovakia who are no mugs... expect them to sign up a few more British passport holders who won't make a career with one of the the four Home Nations before qualifying begins.
There can't be that many I'd have thought.

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

murf wrote:Stuffed by the Faroe Islands. Hope UEFA are holding their heads in shame.....
What a joke - there should be minimum requirement for a team to compete with proper professional International sides. In the World Cup qualifying the Faroes drew one and lost nine with a goal difference of -25! They clearly shouldn't be in it and yet they easily beat Gibraltar. :roll:

Being inclusive to the 'football family' is all very nice but has to be within reason surely? It's like me deciding I want to be an athlete and being entered straight into the Olympics, only worse.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Red Eye wrote: It's like me deciding I want to be an athlete and being entered straight into the Olympics, only worse.
Well, if you are a famous violinist or an ageing Prince......

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

True, but its worse because in the Olympics at least the proper competition can still take place and the odd token competitor/amateur participant can toddle along in last place, causing no real harm or inconvenience to anyone and being eliminated in the first round.

With a football match it is just one team against another - there is nothing else - like a whole stadium, IOC officials etc turning up to watch me race Usain Bolt. Then a few days later I race Tyson Gay etc etc.

Surely most countries can be seeded and go straight into Euro/W/C qualifying, whilst the bottom dozen sides or so play off for the odd place or two in the groups. There just seems to be too many of these matches now where the only thing in question is the score. Don't they even disregard goal difference from matches against the bottom side or something? That says to me they are already considered novelty entrants rather than actual competitors.

It's just a farce and not even funny or entertaining anymore.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I've advocated two tier qualifying for years and it becomes more of a no-brainer by the season but still nothing happens.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Aren't Jersey and Guernsey the next to join?

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

murf wrote:I've advocated two tier qualifying for years and it becomes more of a no-brainer by the season but still nothing happens.....
UEFA/FIFA will probably recognise this as an issue in about 10 years time.

It's like now they're going on about this 'triple punishment' thing with the penalty/red card etc. but that has been obvious for at least a decade.

You'll probably remember that game at OT where Hyppia got sent off right at the start for just a clip/trip in the area. United score the pen - its clearly unnecessary to have sent him off and United win like 4-0. A whole match wasted (though great entertainment for us).

Blatter sure has his finger on the pulse. :roll:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Red Eye wrote:You'll probably remember that game at OT where Hyppia got sent off right at the start for just a clip/trip in the area. United score the pen - its clearly unnecessary to have sent him off and United win like 4-0. A whole match wasted (though great entertainment for us).
I actually agree with that rule (for certain/deliberate offences - can't remember the specifics of what Hyppia did) and remember getting far more TFF points from Hyppia than the rest of the LFC block (a daft TFF rule that has needed changing for years).......

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

Most of those offences are very slight/accidental though, not cynical or violent, and the goal-scoring opportunity is not lost thanks to the pen award.

I would rather just give a goal if it is especially cynical or 'professional', as that would completely remove the incentive for any defender to do it. If it's dangerous/violent play it's a red card irrespective obviously.

What the solution is not so important as recognising there is a problem in the first place. Same with a fixture like Germany v Gibraltar, which has farce written all over it, like Bayern v The Red Lion (or German equivalent).

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

The only way it will be changed is if TV Companies refuse to pay for these non-matches and no bums pay to sit on the seats at Wembley etc.

Personally I would go for summer qualifying tournaments. In WC and Euro years the minnows go somewhere and play for the spaces in groups for the next summer with the Seeded Clubs. (Obviously qualifying for the WC\Euro means being seeded.)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

blahblah wrote:The only way it will be changed is if TV Companies refuse to pay for these non-matches and no bums pay to sit on the seats at Wembley etc.

Personally I would go for summer qualifying tournaments. In WC and Euro years the minnows go somewhere and play for the spaces in groups for the next summer with the Seeded Clubs. (Obviously qualifying for the WC\Euro means being seeded.)
It's much more of an issue this time because you know coming as low as third means you're still in with a chance. As for pre-qualifying, you could turn that on it's head and just give the big countries automatic qualification for the Euros - post2460183.html#p2460183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red Eye
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Red Eye »

You could look at it that way but I think it's only the bottom 5% or so of teams that aren't competitive in the sense that they are almost certian to lose. If the top sides qualified automatically what would they do for two years? Would they want to be without competitive football? (even though the clubs might like it)

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Red Eye wrote:You could look at it that way but I think it's only the bottom 5% or so of teams that aren't competitive in the sense that they are almost certian to lose. If the top sides qualified automatically what would they do for two years? Would they want to be without competitive football? (even though the clubs might like it)
But that's what I was saying in that post, they could go off and play against each other in a Champions League type tournament. It should be remembered that it was the middle tier countries that wanted an expanded format, IMO they have to compromise on that by not playing to the best teams in qualifying.

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

blahblah wrote:Aren't Jersey and Guernsey the next to join?
Well I looked that up the other day and apparently not, UEFA changed the rules that it has to be a sovereign nation in future - but Gibraltar had originally applied before this rule change. So apparently that's your lot on the microstate front.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Vatican?

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Maybe!

And from a Google I forgot Kosovo's claims to join....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:Vatican?
Fails the "Pointless" test, not a member of the UN...

Monaco could surely enter a national team? Wouldn't feature many of the highly paid stars of their club side, though...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'm sure the Vatican has an army, admittedly the weapons are a tad old, but hey ho I'm sure the top man can exert some influence to get them in :lol:

Seeing as Scotland, Wales and N Ireland are hardly sovereign states, members of UN, NATO or anything else of any relevance, surely Jersey et al have grounds for appeal?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I'm waiting for the IoM to get a team and to see sted play against Germany

trampie
Grumpy Old Man

Post by trampie »

trampie wrote:Preparation for international managers, at one time international football was all important until football became a bottom up game.

I listened to some Irish bloke on the radio before the England v Chile game saying the result didn't matter blah blah, i was saying too myself it does matter if England lose 2-0 and are second best they can not win the World Cup unless there is a miracle, low and behold England did lose 2-0 and were second best, i didn't think England would lose per se but thought that they might as i follow international results, the result and performance has told us loads about England's chances in the WC.

Chile finished behind Argentina and Columbia in qualifying all 3 should beat England in South America, Uruguay were the surprise strugglers and they have just come good beating arch rivals Argentina and scoring 5 in their play off match, i would not fancy Englands chances against them out there, Brazil are Brazil, favourites, home advantage and historically the #1 football nation, i don't fancy Englands chances against them, what about Ecuador and Mexico out there i wouldn't put my house on England beating them, last nights result meant if England won and performed well that it would only leave Argentina and Brazil as dangers to them from South America but since they were well second best it means 6 or 7 South and Central American teams will be a danger too them.

England didn't have Southern European teams in their group that may be better suited to South American conditions like Italy, Spain, Portugal or Greece, what chances against those teams out there and as regards Northern Europeans there is Holland and Germany, not even mentioning South Korea, Japan and the Africa nations, a lot might depend on the group draw, although England are a traditional football power and highly ranked it could be like the last Brazilian WC where England don't even get out of the group stage and all based on the England v Chile friendly, the result seems to be a very telling .

Internationals who says internationals aren't important. :)
Yes the writing was on the wall once Chile beat England at Wembley, England then had no chance in the World Cup.
Last edited by trampie on 21 Jun 2014, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

We might not have got out of the group but at least we got in it.

56 years and counting :P

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Sturridge currently doing a good impression of Sanogo, Wellbeck would have scored by now.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Erik Lamela 2-0 Argentina (both assisted by De Maria)

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:Erik Lamela 2-0 Argentina (both assisted by De Maria)
Fairly certain Lamela is going to be the highest scoring MF over the next 7 game weeks :D

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

4-1 Argentina. 3 goals and an assist for Di Maria

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”