To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Welcome to the Rock!

A forum for discussion on International Football matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Welcome to the Rock!

Post by blahblah »

quizking wrote:...depends largely on the degree of autonomy/sovereignty that each territory has, and it's relationship with the otherwise "ruling" country - britain has a relatively relaxed attitude to the status of gibraltar and jersey for example, other nations might be less keen on islands or territories making claims to any form of self-rule, even if it only applies to sports.

Like Wales, Scotland and NI? :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:I would guess that some form of common sense needs to be applied eg no seats in a Parliament of an existing country, otherwise it does get even more ridiculous.

So from the current UK: Alderney, Sark, Jersey and Guernsey have as much claim as Gibraltar. IoM, IoW, western Isles etc all have MP's at Westminster?

But I would guess San Marino have Italian MP's, which blows my idea out of the water, and so the big list in the link seems quite reasonable....
I don't think the Isle of Man is represented at Westminster, it is a "Crown Dependency" similar to the Channel Islands, and not part of the UK as such.

The Isle of Wight is merely a county of England, and I'm not aware of any of the Scottish islands having any special status.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Unusually this bit of wiki seems to cover it quite well;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FI ... ederations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I wasn't sure about IoM, hence the ?

And IoW et al are on the linked list.

Gib being in the Euro and World qualifiers is idiotic, just like the other small places.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

It'll be Monaco next. They'll be able to use their tax exoneration, to win. :lol: No I shouldn't laugh, before we know it a russian will be in control.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Monaco have hit the Transfer Market this week :D

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

jimmy ching wrote:It'll be Monaco next. They'll be able to use their tax exoneration, to win. :lol: No I shouldn't laugh, before we know it a russian will be in control.
Dmitry Rybolovlev owns it pretty much who is a Russian :wink:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Well they've just bought Falcao and there is more to follow. I got laughed at in my local Pizzeria a couple of weeks ago, saying put your money on Monaco for the title. Sad, that they have tax advantage over the other French clubs. PSG must be squirming, it does make me chuckle a bit, though.
What about a Jersey club in the Premiership. That would have a few squealing.

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

Post by stevejtr »

forestfan wrote:
blahblah wrote:Maybe Germany, Italy and Spain could have two teams? :lol:
Well, if Catalonia had an independent football team it would split the Spanish talent pool in half...
The Basques have wanted separation for a while. the two together would stop the spanish juggernaut

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maybe Germany could go back to Bavaria, Saxony etc?

Slightly less unseriously: how long until; all these little countries, and there could be even more with Jersey et al, start complaining that the big countries are too big, and they start wanting something to be done about it?

stevejtr
Grumpy Old Cereal Killer
FS Record: I always liked the old Tele FA Cup competition...

Post by stevejtr »

blahblah wrote:Maybe Germany could go back to Bavaria, Saxony etc?

Slightly less unseriously: how long until; all these little countries, and there could be even more with Jersey et al, start complaining that the big countries are too big, and they start wanting something to be done about it?
Many years ago I was at a conference in Maastricht. The treaty had been signed a couple of years ago and we were there and decided to go to the old town (beautiful place, recommend it). One of our lot was chatting to one of the many bar/micro brewery owners about how wonderful it was to be in the heart of European Union.

"I'm not a European" came the reply

"I'm a Limberger"

nuff said

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

my obsession with micro-nations has led me to a new one - the Bonaire National Football team - recently also accepted as an associate member of CONCACAF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonaire_na ... tball_team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really didn't know where Bonaire was....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

With a population of 16.5k 8-)

Herc6
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Telegraph December Monthly Winner, SDT WDT Winner x7, Rugby World Cup Predictions Winner. Euro 2012 SDT phase one prize winner x3. Tour De France Weekly Winner, Formula 1 overall winner (Holiday to New York)

Post by Herc6 »

tommymooney wrote:my obsession with micro-nations has led me to a new one - the Bonaire National Football team - recently also accepted as an associate member of CONCACAF.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonaire_na ... tball_team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really didn't know where Bonaire was....
I like their football top design....very mysterious 8-)

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

Gibraltar get their first pro.

Danny Higginbotham international footballer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24158900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Do Gibraltar get a EL spot? :?

tommymooney
FISO Knight

Post by tommymooney »

yes, in time I believe they do, but not yet confirmed. Could be next season.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Congratulations to Gibraltar on their first ever win.

Scotland have been saved the ignominy of featuring in that stat (when they meet in the upcoming Euro qualifiers) by Malta beating them to it, going down 1-0 last night.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

Watched the match. Evenly matched game. Standard approximately League 1½. When they've played their 10 qualifying games (I think it's 10), and they appear on the list, they'll already be ahead of San Marino & a few others.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Shaggy365 wrote:Watched the match. Evenly matched game. Standard approximately League 1½. When they've played their 10 qualifying games (I think it's 10), and they appear on the list, they'll already be ahead of San Marino & a few others.
Why on earth would you watch that :lol: :lol: :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:
Shaggy365 wrote:Watched the match. Evenly matched game. Standard approximately League 1½. When they've played their 10 qualifying games (I think it's 10), and they appear on the list, they'll already be ahead of San Marino & a few others.
Watch it? If I could find a Gibraltan granny I'd have played in it :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote:
blahblah wrote:
Watch it? If I could find a Gibraltan granny I'd have played in it :lol:
Gibraltarian? :?

:lol:

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Shared a house with one in London. It was hilarious when she came to leave. She was digging up bog standard plants from the garden not to mention all the 'not neccessary to take' household bits and pieces. I was tempted to hand her the bog roll but I decided against it. There did seem to be some kind of terratorial mentality ingrained from birth. Her Dad was amusing too.
Actually, it was quite a crazy household. A Czech , a Pole, a German, a Gibraltan and an Irishman. Gawd helped us. :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Internationals Football Talk & Events”