To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

How I won the FPL 2012/13

A forum to reminisce on classic FISO forum threads and posts. Feel free to copy and paste, or link to, old or archived forum threads which you feel deserve recognition!
spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

How I won the FPL 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

It is here at last! It's what we have all been waiting for.....My 1000th FISO post!! :mrgreen: :D

Only kidding, but it is my 1000th FISO post and what a moment to say.....

....I have finally finished my article on 'How I won the FPL 2012/13'!!

Here it is:

http://www.fiso.co.uk/viewarticle.php?id=535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry about the wait. It was a long season for me and I needed 'a rest'.....also when writing my article I had to do a lot of deep thinking to recall the significant events of my past FPL season.

Hope you like it and it passes a little time while we await the new FPL season to begin :)

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Re: How I won the FPL 2012/13

Post by Vid »

Excellent work, great read!

Interesting that some of the key moves were the early points hits and WC and regrets were not taking a hit or two around the 2nd WC. Plenty of food for thought!

Enjoy your couple of weeks off before the new game goes live, you now have a very high standard to live up to!!! :lol:

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Cheers for all the time you've put into that article Matt, excellent stuff.

Made it to GW7 before calling it a night but will return later :)

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I'll have a good read of that in the morning.

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Though if I ever do an article again I will have to remember to use the spell and grammar checker first before posting! :oops:

So apologies in advance for the few minor errors....I was too excited about getting the article online tonight! :D

Colbert
Grumpy Old Panda
FS Record: 5AS H2H Champion 10/11, 12/13; 5AS CL Champion 13/14

Post by Colbert »

16000 words :shock:

Matt, how was your minileague rival so strong at the start of the season? Was it purely dumb luck and did they fall away as the season progressed? It's incredible that in a friendly league two people could be so high after just 10 or so weeks.

RespectMyAuthoritah
Grumpy Old Man

Post by RespectMyAuthoritah »

I shall be reading that.

When does the new season go live? I can't find a date anywhere?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

RespectMyAuthoritah wrote:I shall be reading that.

When does the new season go live? I can't find a date anywhere?
was the 19th last year

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Brilliant write up. I've never played this game but read the forums. I would be like a Sunday football player picked to play in a Premiership game. It will be embrasssing but still I'll give it a go next season.
Cheers again, a brilliant insight.

Doogal
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: The big two!! VAMPIRE OF THE WEEK SEASON AWARD 2013-14 and FINAL TABLE PREDICTION COMP 2015-16.

Post by Doogal »

Loved it - a great read, brilliantly simply and clearly explained. No mysterious secrets, it's all so straightforward and logical. So why can't I manage my team like that?? :?

Of course, like Tiger Woods and Federer and co, it's not winning the one big tournament that matters, it's when you do it again and again... You are already a legend, but if you win it again next year, your place at the table in the pantheon of the gods will be there for ever. :wink:

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

It's a bit too clinical... where are the prayers, the wife impact, the heartburn and hangovers effect... :wink:

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Colbert wrote:16000 words :shock:

Matt, how was your minileague rival so strong at the start of the season? Was it purely dumb luck and did they fall away as the season progressed? It's incredible that in a friendly league two people could be so high after just 10 or so weeks.
I don't think it was purely down to dumb luck he was so strong at the start of the season because has been, along with a few other players in our ML, consistently a good FPL player each season. He ended up in 2nd place in our ML, though I can't remember exactly his overall final position, but I think he finished easily inside the world top 500.

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Ironfist wrote:It's a bit too clinical... where are the prayers, the wife impact, the heartburn and hangovers effect... :wink:
Haha yes I had to keep it clinical and stick to FPL talk only otherwise I'd have written probably 10x as many words if I told the 'full story'! :D

Vid wrote:Excellent work, great read!

Interesting that some of the key moves were the early points hits and WC and regrets were not taking a hit or two around the 2nd WC. Plenty of food for thought!

Enjoy your couple of weeks off before the new game goes live, you now have a very high standard to live up to!!! :lol:

Yes I was kicking myself for not taking a hit or two after my 2nd WC, like I did after my first WC. But glad it didn't cost me too much and I got back on track sooner rather than later, especially the very next DGW!

Doogal wrote:Loved it - a great read, brilliantly simply and clearly explained. No mysterious secrets, it's all so straightforward and logical. So why can't I manage my team like that?? :?

Of course, like Tiger Woods and Federer and co, it's not winning the one big tournament that matters, it's when you do it again and again... You are already a legend, but if you win it again next year, your place at the table in the pantheon of the gods will be there for ever. :wink:
Thanks. I know it's virtually impossible for me to ever win it again, but believe me I'm already thinking about winning it again next season! That would be pretty cool 8-) :D

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Nothing is Impossible!!

And damn, that's a lot of reading :lol: Guess I will have to print it all out (sorry environment... :cry: but there are important issues at stake here) and read it on the beach.

Thanks for the insights Matt 8-)

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Yes nothing is impossible if you believe :)

Enjoy the read on the beach....make sure you turn over around GW19 so then you'll get an equal suntan! :D

Colbert
Grumpy Old Panda
FS Record: 5AS H2H Champion 10/11, 12/13; 5AS CL Champion 13/14

Post by Colbert »

spiderm4tt wrote:

I don't think it was purely down to dumb luck he was so strong at the start of the season because has been, along with a few other players in our ML, consistently a good FPL player each season. He ended up in 2nd place in our ML, though I can't remember exactly his overall final position, but I think he finished easily inside the world top 500.
That's fair enough, must have been exciting for him to be so high early on. I tend to find any rivals who have got off to flying starts revert back to their ability and fade well away by January. That's where the cream tends to rise 8-)

Was a great read Matt, it seems you enjoyed reflecting which is important and that comes across in the writing.

I hope the pressure of being Fiso's finest (an accolade stolen from me :roll:) doesn't give you the jitters through pre-season. I expect to see a few people going with the GW2 wildcard this season based on your experience, without realising there were thousands of others who tried it who didn't finish quite as strongly :lol:

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

spiderm4tt wrote: Enjoy the read on the beach....make sure you turn over around GW19 so then you'll get an equal suntan! :D
:mrgreen:

t88
Treebeard

Post by t88 »

very interesting read and thanks for sharing!

It did trigger me to put your progress next to mine and compare. I didn't have a good start at all by not choosing Hazard and Michu in the early weeks so by GW12 I was already 100+ points behind you. I wildcarded relatively early in GW3 and got RVP in which was a good starting point for me but my main "downfall" was that I took hits 14 times over the season compared to your 4!

Once you became more famous on FISO I did follow you on your transfer pick or captain pick if you had chosen to share it with us so thanks for that :D

For me I did have the wife impact where I would ask her who she would transfer or captain and I would give her 2 choices. She doesn't know football at all and would randomly pick one because they sounded good or familiar or whatever and I would then choose the other player. Sometimes she would get it right... 8-)

Good luck next season

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Thanks t88, good luck next season to you to too :)

Colbert wrote:
spiderm4tt wrote:

That's fair enough, must have been exciting for him to be so high early on. I tend to find any rivals who have got off to flying starts revert back to their ability and fade well away by January. That's where the cream tends to rise 8-)

Was a great read Matt, it seems you enjoyed reflecting which is important and that comes across in the writing.

I hope the pressure of being Fiso's finest (an accolade stolen from me :roll:) doesn't give you the jitters through pre-season. I expect to see a few people going with the GW2 wildcard this season based on your experience, without realising there were thousands of others who tried it who didn't finish quite as strongly :lol:
Actually I've just seen his overall final rank, which was just outside top 1000 due to a not so good final GW. He was around 500-600 rank with a few GWs to go though. He was 27th after GW3! He was my excellent pacesetter! :)

Yes I enjoyed reflecting on it. I could talk about football and FPL all day! Also reflecting on my season has made me finally believe I actually won it, and how I won it. Also I didn't realise that so many times throughout the season my GW transfers virtually payed off immediately. Despite my 'good' judgement, I realise also that I was extremely fortunate for this to happen.

I don't want to be FISOs finest....you can have it back! Your record is excellent, great rank again last season :)

organdonor47
Grumpy Old Man

Post by organdonor47 »

great read matt. i assume you didn't have to check back through your history at all to recall all that info? decisions so well thought out they're etched in your memory forever right?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

A very enjoyable read.
It seems being away must have helped as it stopped you doing those last minute tinkers that could have taken victory away!

StarMan
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won FISO Mini league Sun Dream Team Euro 2004

Post by StarMan »

Brilliant read Matt. That has to be one of the most detailed write ups I have read on FISO. Definitely inspired me to want to win it.

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

organdonor47 wrote:great read matt. i assume you didn't have to check back through your history at all to recall all that info? decisions so well thought out they're etched in your memory forever right?
Thanks Jim :)

Ha yes you're right they are etched in my memory forever! but in my memory there is a lot more detail in some decisions, along with the great deal of stress that came with it!
Surprised wrote:A very enjoyable read.
It seems being away must have helped as it stopped you doing those last minute tinkers that could have taken victory away!
Thanks glad you enjoyed it :)

Yes being away over the final GW was literally a Blessing for me as it helped me greatly to get away from it all as FPL was on my mind 24/7 before this break.

Whilst I was away I was experiencing much joy & peace, and not the usual stress and strain of the FPL world. This helped me think very clearly about my final GW tactics and transfer, and yes thankfully it stopped me doing any of those last minute tinkers that most probably would have cost me the title!
StarMan wrote:Brilliant read Matt. That has to be one of the most detailed write ups I have read on FISO. Definitely inspired me to want to win it.
Cheers :)

Glad it's inspired you to want to win it. I know you can win it like anyone else here can win it.

Best wishes next season :)

Sharagoz
Treebeard

Post by Sharagoz »

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, I read the whole thing from start to finish and enjoyed it a lot.
The biggest surprise were that you never really took any big punts, not with transfers, not with captains. Just solid picks all the way. You even missed out on a couple of whales along the way and still came out ahead.

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Thanks glad you enjoyed it Sharagoz :)

Yes your right, I didn't really take any big risks throughout the season as I thought this wasn't needed. I just stuck to solid tactics, transfers and captains just about each GW. I felt this was the best way to maximise my potential points return each GW.

roadrunner
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: 2013 Auto Trader F1 winner

Post by roadrunner »

The guy who won it last year said a similar thing I think, when they interviewed him on the FPL website. He was saying how even at the top end of the table you still have your good weeks and your not so good weeks, and when he got it wrong it was mostly where he’d gone on a hunch. When he stuck to the safer, common sense option, that’s when he made progress.

Congratulations on the win as well mate!

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Thanks roadrunner :)

I didn't know or read about last years winner for some reason, but yes us managers at the top had our good weeks and not so good weeks like everybody else, and it was usually the safer option that got me progress.

My feeling each GW was to have 'damage limitation' picks where possible. For example, if my less risky pick, mainly my captain pick, didn't come off then I wouldn't lose out too much as I felt the majority of the top managers around me would do the same pick, which they did most weeks. It was only the odd one or two managers that probably had 'risky picks' now and then, so it didn't hurt me too much if this came off for them. I just tred to keep it simple and play the percentages each week.

The hardest part about my season was sticking to my whole plan week in, week out, in the face of great temptation and tinkering to try something different. So glad I didn't do this!

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

spiderm4tt wrote:Thanks roadrunner :)

I didn't know or read about last years winner for some reason, but yes us managers at the top had our good weeks and not so good weeks like everybody else, and it was usually the safer option that got me progress.

My feeling each GW was to have 'damage limitation' picks where possible. For example, if my less risky pick, mainly my captain pick, didn't come off then I wouldn't lose out too much as I felt the majority of the top managers around me would do the same pick, which they did most weeks. It was only the odd one or two managers that probably had 'risky picks' now and then, so it didn't hurt me too much if this came off for them. I just tred to keep it simple and play the percentages each week.

The hardest part about my season was sticking to my whole plan week in, week out, in the face of great temptation and tinkering to try something different. So glad I didn't do this!
You are a stronger man than most of us! :wink:

spiderm4tt
FPL Champion 2012/13

Post by spiderm4tt »

Ironfist wrote:

Ha thanks Erez! :D

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

spiderm4tt wrote:
Ironfist wrote:

Ha thanks Erez! :D
I wonder if we can add 'Tinkering' as an official eighth sin... :mrgreen:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Classics”