To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Gas and Electricity

A forum for matters involving finance (incl. business and money issues) and shopping (incl. consumer rights).
kingcurtley
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 8 x Top 10k finish; TFF 21/22 - 148th; TFC '14 - 6th; T20 '13 - 13th; SP4 RWC Pred Winner '11

Re: Gas and Electricity

Post by kingcurtley »

2 bed smallish house. 2 people. £65 a month combined

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

mad dog wrote:4 bed detached. Misses, me and baby.

Combined gas and electric roughly £100 a month, always do my own readings. During the summer ( obviously ) it drops to £40-50 a month and ( obviously ) up to £150 or so a month.

Do you guys let your misses have the heating on? Jesus, I tell her she can have it on for 1-2 hours per day :lol:
You spent those dreamteam winnings already :P

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Edmondson wrote:
mad dog wrote:4 bed detached. Misses, me and baby.

Combined gas and electric roughly £100 a month, always do my own readings. During the summer ( obviously ) it drops to £40-50 a month and ( obviously ) up to £150 or so a month.

Do you guys let your misses have the heating on? Jesus, I tell her she can have it on for 1-2 hours per day :lol:
You spent those dreamteam winnings already :P

What winnings, going to end up with £100 at this rate :lol:

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

So another winter and another set of price rises (so far from British Gas, SSE and NPower and the others set to follow)

Im fed up with the excuses and the blaming of the government, they are blaming poor infrastructure, so what have they been doing with the profits for the past x years......

They also blame the price they pay, well they know when they need it most so why cant they but it when its cheaper, I have read this is something to do with lack of capacity but cant be sure....

Anyway me and the other half in a 3 bed semi detatched house currently pay edf £97 a month (duel fuel) and it is fixed until May 2014....

I did a search yesterday (as we dont have a penalty for leaving) and it confirmed we are currently on the cheapest tariff available and to swap to the next cheapest (Scottish Power if i remember correctly) would cost an extra £125 a year (with the price fixed until 2015).......my question is should I swap now and take the hit or run the risk of the increase I have to pay come June being greater than the £125 now.....

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Uk household prices are still well below the EU average. About 13 EU countries (out of 27) pay less than the UK for electric and just 6 pay less for gas.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Bunners wrote:I did a search yesterday (as we dont have a penalty for leaving) and it confirmed we are currently on the cheapest tariff available and to swap to the next cheapest (Scottish Power if i remember correctly) would cost an extra £125 a year (with the price fixed until 2015).......my question is should I swap now and take the hit or run the risk of the increase I have to pay come June being greater than the £125 now.....
I'm no expert but if the company you are going to switch to haven't upped their price yet then it may pay to act quickly and switch and fix before they do.

(Martyn Lewis' e-mail this morning focussed on it and I should really get around to switching/fixing)

EDIT - ooops, too late, as I was typing the BBC were reporting that Scottish Power have also put up their prices.....

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

murf wrote:
Bunners wrote:I did a search yesterday (as we dont have a penalty for leaving) and it confirmed we are currently on the cheapest tariff available and to swap to the next cheapest (Scottish Power if i remember correctly) would cost an extra £125 a year (with the price fixed until 2015).......my question is should I swap now and take the hit or run the risk of the increase I have to pay come June being greater than the £125 now.....
I'm no expert but if the company you are going to switch to haven't upped their price yet then it may pay to act quickly and switch and fix before they do.

(Martyn Lewis' e-mail this morning focussed on it and I should really get around to switching/fixing)

EDIT - ooops, too late, as I was typing the BBC were reporting that Scottish Power have also put up their prices.....
See im no expert but my view is the same as yours.....I think there was an eon deal for like a tenner more....think thats a job for this evening!

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Just switched to British Gas Fixed Price until March 2016.

No worries about price rises for next three winters and was only £30 more expensive than the cheapest option.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Ashers wrote:Just switched to British Gas Fixed Price until March 2016.

No worries about price rises for next three winters and was only £30 more expensive than the cheapest option.
would cost me an extra £30 PER MONTH to get onto this tariff :shock:

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Bunners wrote:

Really? Who are you with?

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Anyone ever used first:utility?

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Ashers wrote:
Bunners wrote:

Really? Who are you with?
edf on their fixed price until may 2014...but there are no termination fees so im looking to get out now!

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

Ashers wrote:Anyone ever used first:utility?
no but they keep coming up cheapest for me as well :wink:

Jonathan
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: ^ That's my dad! ^ KGC Captain's Drive-in 2015 Champ
FS Record: OFL Champions League Sprint finalist 10/11

Post by Jonathan »

It seems some have still been able to put up the prices of some customers on fixed rate tarriffs. Government just outlawed that I believe.

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

Bunners wrote:
I was with First about 6 months ago. They were fine, only thing is, once I switched away from them, they collected 2 more DDs even though I was in credit! But they paid it all back along with a £20 apology, so no harm done.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I bet you are all pleased the government have guaranteed twice the going rate for your kilowatts over the next 35 years.
Fine by me, my government seems smug with it.
Do the Chinese have the right to the spent plutonium?
Who would have predicted this would happen, 20 years ago?
It's a great set up, isn't it?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Bunners wrote:
They were only very marginally cheaper than eDF for me so I stuck with the known company - I used Martyn Lewis' site ('cheap energy club' which has a note that customers are having problems with first utility ) and it reckons I'll be saving £340 a year. I fixed for about 18 months (Spring 15). The same eDF one but fixed til 2017 was too much and I'll only lose out if prices really shoot up.

Bye bye Southern Electric you expensive bar stewards.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

Just left British Gas and switched to EDF.

No exit pens and fixed until 2017

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Ashers wrote:Just left British Gas and switched to EDF.

Were you not tempted by the cheaper 2015 fix?

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

murf wrote:

Yes, but thought that we are in 2014 in a few months and this does not give me along enough.

Plus there was only £30 difference on my usage.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Ashers wrote:
murf wrote:

Yes, but thought that we are in 2014 in a few months and this does not give me along enough.

£30 a month? Think mine was just over £200 a year difference.

You would be saving £30 a month for 18 months til it ends. For the next 2 years after that (assume another fixed deal) you'd have to have a hitch of over £50/month to end up paying more overall - and maybe Labour will have banned price rises by then :lol:

That was my logic anyway

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

murf wrote:
Per year

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

You're all up against a cartel - only one winner.....

Just do what I do and underestimate the readings and then they get the proper one in summer. Spreads out the payments and helps my cash flow.

Of course, if they read the meter, I will just have written down a 7 and used a 2 instead. Exactly what my water board did with my water meter, except, surprise surprise, it was the other way around.....

Nationalise the lot.

Bunners
Dumbledore

Post by Bunners »

murf wrote:
Ashers wrote:
murf wrote:

You would be saving £30 a month for 18 months til it ends. For the next 2 years after that (assume another fixed deal) you'd have to have a hitch of over £50/month to end up paying more overall - and maybe Labour will have banned price rises by then :lol:

That was my logic anyway
think i may end up staying with edf on the 2015 fix.....the 2017 one is £270 a year more for me and my "logic" was the same as murfs :shock: :wink:

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

If they make offers that can save you money now then it is done for one reason only and that is to get you as a customer so they can fleece you later.
Utility companies only exist to make money and they couldn't give a shit for anything else.
They sob and whine that the cost of delivery of gas/electric to homes is outside of their control and in the same breath claim that they invest all their profits in infrastructure to help with that same delivery. They are liars, thieves and con men. The tossers on Watchdog etc and the ombudsmen never push with the right questions. They just back down.

goldenballs
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not Great.

Post by goldenballs »

Bunners I'm with edf on a 2 year fix mar/apt 2014 presumably the same for yourself.You pay more in the first year and save in the second so better to wait till the end of the deal I would have thought.

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

Surprised wrote:Utility companies only exist to make money and they couldn't give a shit for anything else.
Oh right. I thought they were charitable organisations that should give us something really important to us really cheaply and forfeit any profits for themselves. :roll:

All companies are around to make money, that's the point of their existence. I'm fed up with people moaning about them. If you don't want gas / electricity, don't buy it. If you absolutely need it then think yourself lucky it's not far more expensive - we apparently still have it much better than most EU countries, and I personally would give probably say a third of my salary to have fuel if necessary, given the impact on my lifestyle of not having it. So I'm very grateful it's still so cheap.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

scarletjim wrote:
Surprised wrote:Utility companies only exist to make money and they couldn't give a shit for anything else.
Oh right. I thought they were charitable organisations that should give us something really important to us really cheaply and forfeit any profits for themselves. :roll:

All companies are around to make money, that's the point of their existence. I'm fed up with people moaning about them. If you don't want gas / electricity, don't buy it. If you absolutely need it then think yourself lucky it's not far more expensive - we apparently still have it much better than most EU countries, and I personally would give probably say a third of my salary to have fuel if necessary, given the impact on my lifestyle of not having it. So I'm very grateful it's still so cheap.

maybe I wasn't precise enough
Utility companies exist to rip people off and make extortionate profits but avoid paying tax. They all act as a cartel so the customer will never get the price he should.
Yes you are right that the UK gas/electric is unbelievably cheap compared to the EU average but that doesn't change the fact that the utility companies are taking the piss out of its customers.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

bluenosey wrote:You're all up against a cartel - only one winner.....

Just do what I do and underestimate the readings and then they get the proper one in summer. Spreads out the payments and helps my cash flow.

Of course, if they read the meter, I will just have written down a 7 and used a 2 instead. Exactly what my water board did with my water meter, except, surprise surprise, it was the other way around.....

Nationalise the lot.
Not if you have a smart meter that tells them automatically your reading.

Ashers
FISO Knight

Post by Ashers »

What are people's annual bills on here for both gas and electric?

Is mine low at £600 per year?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Financial & Shopping”