To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

BOE cuts 1.5% (Nov), 1% (Dec) and 0.5% (Jan, Feb & Mar)

A forum for matters involving finance (incl. business and money issues) and shopping (incl. consumer rights).
el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Re: BOE cuts 1.5 %

Post by el_pappje »

Surprised wrote:In a way this is bad news. The BoE have seen no impact so far of rate cuts and the huge amount of money pumped into the markets and the economy by the government.
This cut looks like total panic as they seem to be trying to stave off a devastating recession in 2009 which will take years to recover from.
It will not work sadly.
I disagree on the panic front. Interest rates were way too high for way too long because the BoE, like the ECB, and like many punters, were thrown a headfake by the commodity-led inflation spike, which was targeted rather than the underlying economic weakness. I think the US easing cycle provided a large liquidity boost which found its way into commodity prices, but the Fed in the US were aware of the economic challenge brewing. I ama amzed that the UK economy was eprceived as healthy while personal bankruptcies were going through the roof before most people had heard of subprime.

Interest rates needed to come down quickly to reflect the scale of economic weakness. Rate cuts are not the only thing though - the methods the US are employing eg buying mortgage securities are the key to easing the current crisis.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Re: BOE cuts 1.5% (Nov) and now 1% (Dec)

Post by Surprised »

What has surprised me is the refusal of high street banks to pass these cuts on. Some have but most have not and the tracker mortgages are now being withdrawn for new customers. With the government developing contingency plans to fully nationalise the banking sector why are banks behaving like this?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

el_pappje wrote:
Surprised wrote:In a way this is bad news. The BoE have seen no impact so far of rate cuts and the huge amount of money pumped into the markets and the economy by the government.
This cut looks like total panic as they seem to be trying to stave off a devastating recession in 2009 which will take years to recover from.
It will not work sadly.
I disagree on the panic front. Interest rates were way too high for way too long because the BoE, like the ECB, and like many punters, were thrown a headfake by the commodity-led inflation spike, which was targeted rather than the underlying economic weakness. I think the US easing cycle provided a large liquidity boost which found its way into commodity prices, but the Fed in the US were aware of the economic challenge brewing. I ama amzed that the UK economy was eprceived as healthy while personal bankruptcies were going through the roof before most people had heard of subprime.

Interest rates needed to come down quickly to reflect the scale of economic weakness. Rate cuts are not the only thing though - the methods the US are employing eg buying mortgage securities are the key to easing the current crisis.
I think it's panic because they realise they have left it way too late for cuts to work. It cannot now prevent the worst economic meltdown in history. House prices in the UK still have another 30-35% to fall and won't start to rise until 2012. Economic recovery will start some 2 years after that by which tome UK government borrowing will have bankrupted the government. I think insuring against government defaulting on debt repayment is at record highs. I may sound doom and gloom but I believe whats coming is substantially worse than the 1930's.

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

I guess for those that aren't nationalised there may still be a desire to rein back on mortgage lending in any case, given the need to rebuild deposit bases and reduce leverage. Building books of minimally profitable mortgages may not be so attractive right now.

On the other hand, who wants a tracker now? The smart move will be to bag a great fixed deal in the coming months.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018, 2024 Fisodas champion

Post by Spencer4 »

Happy days... 1.93% mortgage for the basket 8-)

" Nationwide has made a U-turn and scrapped its 2.75 per cent tracker collar.

Yesterday it said it was standing by its ‘floor’, which would have meant Nationwide tracker borrowers would have only seen a 0.25 per cent cut in their rates.

But now, in the wake of several of its competitors passing on the full rate cut, Nationwide has acquiesced and has scrapped the limit. Borrowers will now enjoy a full 1 per cent rate cut on SVR and tracker mortgages."

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Spencer4 wrote:Happy days... 1.93% mortgage for the basket 8-)

Happy days indeed AND Zaki is back. Now if I can just stop re-reading surprised's posts I can believe that all is well with the world :lol:

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight

Post by el_pappje »

murf wrote:Bit shocked to see predictions of another 1% today (to 2%). Means my mortgage will drop to 3% - keep this up and they'll soon be paying us to borrow money.....
I'm shocked Murf was shocked by the 1% prediction yesterday given I'd posted it 3 weeks ago :lol:

Next BoE moves will be interesting, as expectation on ECB is that January will see a pause.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Darbyand wrote:

Happy days indeed AND Zaki is back. Now if I can just stop re-reading surprised's posts I can believe that all is well with the world :lol:
Hey.......being pessimistic means everything always turns out better than you think :D

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

el_pappje wrote:
murf wrote:Bit shocked to see predictions of another 1% today (to 2%). Means my mortgage will drop to 3% - keep this up and they'll soon be paying us to borrow money.....
I'm shocked Murf was shocked by the 1% prediction yesterday given I'd posted it 3 weeks ago :lol:

Next BoE moves will be interesting, as expectation on ECB is that January will see a pause.
I was shocked that you were right. I was initially expecting an additional 1% until you predicted it :wink:

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Yesterday it said it was standing by its ‘floor’, which would have meant Nationwide tracker borrowers would have only seen a 0.25 per cent cut in their rates.

But now, in the wake of several of its competitors passing on the full rate cut, Nationwide has acquiesced and has scrapped the limit. Borrowers will now enjoy a full 1 per cent rate cut on SVR and tracker mortgages."
Nationwide announced today that that is low as they're going to go. So no more rate cuts and presumably rates will start rising when base rate +/- whatever you're on is 2.75...hopefully some way down the line.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

Even if you're on a tracker? :?

I'm on one with Coop who pride themselves on ethics so we'll see what they do

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Groomyd wrote:Even if you're on a tracker? :?
Apparently so. They say they'll pass the benefits of future rate cuts on to savers instead.

Good luck with the co-op.

Groomyd
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Groomyd »

I can't believe their not legally obliged to honor the terms of their mortgage. The whole reason for taking a tracker over a variable is to take the rate decision away from the banks :twisted:

So far coop have passed it on so we'll see but how can any ombudsman allow trackers which are at the discretion of the banks? :?

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Groomyd wrote:I can't believe their not legally obliged to honor the terms of their mortgage. The whole reason for taking a tracker over a variable is to take the rate decision away from the banks :twisted:

So far coop have passed it on so we'll see but how can any ombudsman allow trackers which are at the discretion of the banks? :?
To be fair to them, the "floor" or "collar" was clearly shown in their T&Cs (unlike the Halifax I believe) and they made a decision to waive it last time round and have honoured that. They've decided they won't be repeating that. With many people somewhere between BOE+/- 0.5 it does mean that most will now be on a rate of 1.5-2.5% which would have been beyond your wildest dreams not that long ago.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Nationwide say they did this to enable them to remain competitive for savers... today they dropped their standard Cash ISA rate by MORE than the December base rate (highest band reduced from 2.8% to a pathetic 1.7%) - as they did last month.

If that's what they mean by competitive I wouldn't like to see their rates if they had reduced the tracker mortgages!

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

To look at the effect from another point of view.

The Abbey has reduced its rates for Savers from 01/01/2009

A large amount of savers who have not updated to a new savings account will be rewarded with the following Interest Rate

0.1 Percent :shock: :shock:

So you have £ 1,000 and after a Year they give you ONE pound (Actually 80p after tax !!)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

I think the Government has tried to regulate "closed issue" savings accounts before, where banks and building societies cut interest rates on such accounts to next to nothing while offering attractive rates to new customers. In any case it didn't work and the problem is worse than ever in these days of historically low base rates.

Millions of people are losing out just by leaving their money where it has been for years, probably a high proportion of them being elderly. On the other hand, there's opportunities to still get a half decent rate (around 4% at least) if you shop around and move your money, rather like with the credit card balance transfer deals of recent years.

Pasty
Dumbledore
FS Record: 32nd TFF 07/08 n Fiso 25s Champ

Post by Pasty »

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx? ... d=12534659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting news about this months BOE meeting on Thursday.

I dont know whether my RBS tracker had a collar or not tbh but we have received every % reduction since the drop and because we took out a 100% mortgage at what seemed like a high rate at the time might mean we could still be in line for a further reduction :D

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Cornish Pasty wrote:http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx? ... d=12534659

Interesting news about this months BOE meeting on Thursday.

I dont know whether my RBS tracker had a collar or not tbh but we have received every % reduction since the drop and because we took out a 100% mortgage at what seemed like a high rate at the time might mean we could still be in line for a further reduction :D
Rbs were going to do a massive cull as regards staff just before xmas
Numbers never materialised, i think the climate wasn;t ready to receive another big shock especially as many people on the street dont even realise RBS IS NATWEST.
watch this space in March... The shit hits the fan then- huge job losses.

Pasty
Dumbledore
FS Record: 32nd TFF 07/08 n Fiso 25s Champ

Post by Pasty »

RBS is Natwest, thats a new one on me :oops:

Its not good the current climate but these cuts will be helping out the thousands being crippled by their mortgages each month. The negative equity lot will be very worried though i guess and clearly those losing jobs have worrying times ahead.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Cornish Pasty wrote:RBS is Natwest, thats a new one on me :oops:

Its not good the current climate but these cuts will be helping out the thousands being crippled by their mortgages each month. The negative equity lot will be very worried though i guess and clearly those losing jobs have worrying times ahead.
RBS does own Netwest. When all this is over only HSBC and Standard Chartered will be the main banks. Barclays and Lloyds-TSB will get taken over as neither will survive on their own

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Surprised wrote:
Cornish Pasty wrote:RBS is Natwest, thats a new one on me :oops:

RBS does own Netwest. When all this is over only HSBC and Standard Chartered will be the main banks. Barclays and Lloyds-TSB will get taken over as neither will survive on their own
I think you could be right- worrything that LLoyds can swallow up halifax and still disappear and Barclays too goes kaput.

benwootton
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner BBC world cup round - won a big tv. Otherwise just won works leagues

Post by benwootton »

there is no way RBS or LLOYDS are going anywhere or barclays. In fact if lloyds didnt takeover hbos then their share price would fly within hours.

Scaremongering is constantly battering banks and most retail shares at the mo. Its daft
Try looking at stock like JJB where i have made 100% in less than a day this week. Priced to ridiculous level and has bounced nicely.
MEC looks set to fly 2mw now too having been battered due to debt.

Banks made money hand over fist before, so some more streamlined sensible banks will do so too. If you can buy stock as low then i will eat my hat ( if i havent sold it lol )

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

benwootton wrote:there is no way RBS or LLOYDS are going anywhere or barclays. In fact if lloyds didnt takeover hbos then their share price would fly within hours.

Scaremongering is constantly battering banks and most retail shares at the mo. Its daft
Try looking at stock like JJB where i have made 100% in less than a day this week. Priced to ridiculous level and has bounced nicely.
MEC looks set to fly 2mw now too having been battered due to debt.

Banks made money hand over fist before, so some more streamlined sensible banks will do so too. If you can buy stock as low then i will eat my hat ( if i havent sold it lol )
Lloyds and RBS were within 5 days of shutting their doors for good in October.
RBS have lost 400m in this Madoff fraud.
When the govt come to sell their 60% stake in RBS then it will be another big european bank buying them at a knock down price.
The HBOS takeover won't happen and Lloyds share price leaves them ripe to be taken over themselves.
The days of consumer choice are gone for a long time

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight

Post by el_pappje »

Ben - penny share day-trading isn't for everyone :lol:

JJB is in a whole raft of bother so i wouldn't call it "ridiculously priced"...it is going to have to sell off a couple of failed non-core businesses [if it can] and the new management are having to deal with the banks to refinance, which is no easy task. JJB has no god-given right to be on the high street.

benwootton
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner BBC world cup round - won a big tv. Otherwise just won works leagues

Post by benwootton »

BANKS may have been 5 days from closing, but they arent now.
RBS lost 400m in this Madoff fraud so did others, but only becos banks lend the money.
Dodgy dealing but 400m is really not that much in terms of this bank if you look back over its history.

Our Gov will deffo make money from bank bail out.RBS have been above 65p buy price already since GOV buyin.
Shares were £20 in the past two years dont forget, there is an upside from 49p even if down to 40p again.
Personally i am not holding any bank stock med-long term, but moving in and out on dips here and in HBOS. Sold HBOS this wk, having been in due to gapping on LLOYDS vs HBOS SPs at conversion rate of 0.6 of LLOYDS recent SP.

HBOS takeover will happen. Lloyds have a good deal. Deal is bad for lloyds SP short term though.
If LLOYDS get taken over, then its cos they are seen as a bargain and a good buy. no-one will take them over until later in year, mainly due to potential for bad news in 1st quarter with writedowns. Lloyds are in a strong position anyway having been the most cautious of the UK banks. I stand to be corrected but i would be very suprised if this failed. This deal wouldnt have gone thru in past, the GOV wants it to go thru, and banks do.

As for choice i dont really mind as i am with HSBC FIRST DIRECT and they are a top bank.

As for comments re penny share day-trading

JJB has got a great team in place now, sales look to have been good over xmas. Selling some health clubs would clear debt.
5p was ridiculous unless you think they are going under, having trebled in value this week, clearly others have faith too. These should get to 20p again soon, not that i care now :wink:

Most of the share prices are ridiculous these days, with loads of companies valued below asset value, and in some cases below cash in their bank accounts.
Everything is now so overblown its getting boring, and bad news is everywhere now, and any good news will be great for SPs.
Some of the dead wood on the high st has needed culling for years, sad as it is for employees for companies like woolies to hear. 2009 will have ups
and downs yet, but stock will be up by the year end, of that i am 100% sure 8-) 8-)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

What %age cut is likely today.

Just 0.25%????

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

murf wrote:What %age cut is likely today.

Just 0.25%????
No 75%.

In fact 100% wouldn't be a shock. :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Dot wrote:No 75%.

In fact 100% wouldn't be a shock.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7817244.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beeb saying 0.5-1.0% :D

I was listening to the wrong analyst when I heard 0.25%, I much prefer Dot and the Beeb's vision :D

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Dot wrote:
murf wrote:What %age cut is likely today.

Just 0.25%????
No 75%.

In fact 100% wouldn't be a shock. :shock:

BANK oF ENGLAND .5 CUT.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Financial & Shopping”