To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Protecting Your ID & Personal Data

A forum for matters involving finance (incl. business and money issues) and shopping (incl. consumer rights).
admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Protecting Your ID & Personal Data

Post by admin »

This summary from CreditExpert may be helpful, particularly in light of the recent loss of 2 CDs by the Child Benefit Agency.

One thing I would add is that re point 3 below, also do not register a username that is the same or too similar to your real name. If you need your FISO username changing then just send me a PM.

'How to protect your ID when your personal data has been lost/
Worried about the safety of your personal data?

The Child Benefit Agency has lost the personal details of every parent who receives child benefit, including names, addresses, dates of birth, national insurance numbers, child benefit numbers and bank accounts. As a result, 25 million people are now vulnerable to identity fraud if the data on two discs falls into the wrong hands.

They aren’t the only ones. In a matter of weeks, data breaches have been reported by organisations as diverse as clothing and insurance companies.

No wonder recent research showed that many of us do not trust big institutions to keep our personal information safe. The Canvasse Opinion survey found that 34 per cent of us do not trust insurance companies, 33 per cent think Internet retailers aren’t secure and 32 per cent believe that government cannot be relied on to safeguard the data that can be used to impersonate us, borrow money in our names – and ruin our lives.

If you think you could be at risk, take these simple precautions as soon as possible.

1. Check your bank statements carefully. With your account data and basic personal information, criminals could try to get hold of your money. If you spot any unfamiliar transactions, tell your bank immediately and explain the circumstances.

2. Look at your credit report. The information in the Child Benefit Agency records is enough for a criminal to apply for loans, credit cards and even mortgages in your name – as well as other forms of credit such as mobile telephone and catalogue accounts. Your credit report lists all your credit commitments and recent applications for credit, so you can instantly see if someone has been trying to use your ID and put a stop to problems before they can develop.

3. Minimise the information you post on social networking sites. Organised gangs are now focusing on ID fraud as a profit centre and they know that many people give away useful snippets that could be passwords or key dates giving access to your bank and card accounts. Edit out the names of pets, mother’s maiden name, where you went to school and anything else you might use as a password or PIN.

4. Watch out for hoax calls, letters or e-mails. Taking advantage of your distress in the wake of a data breach, criminals may call, e-mail or write pretending to need further information in order to protect you. In fact, they hope to rip you off more thoroughly – so don’t give away information to people you do not know. Check with organisations that might have a genuine reason for contacting you before you part with your data.

5. Ensure that your bank and credit card account passwords do not relate to the data that could be compromised. Many of us tend to use details such as children’s names and memorable dates as passwords to protect our bank and credit card accounts. Fraudsters are likely to make a good guess at these passwords which will give them access to your finances for further theft and much more. Make sure you update your passwords on a regular basis and use unique words that do not relate to data that could be compromised in a data breach.

Credit monitoring is such an effective method of protecting yourself that it is recommended by the Home Office and many responsible organisations automatically offer it to customers and clients who have been affected by a data breach.

You can see your Experian credit report for free with a 30-day trial of CreditExpert, the UK’s leading credit monitoring and identity fraud protection service. Then keep on checking regularly, to give yourself peace of mind and make sure that criminals haven’t taken their time in impersonating you'.

pottster
Dumbledore
FS Record: Regularly finishing in the top 100

Post by pottster »

I've just discovered that I may have been a victim of fraud!

Someone is has used my name and address to set up a mobile phone account.

I'll update when the police have been back in touch and hopefully will have some handy tips - but as in this case it appears as though the fraudsters are using my name and address and someone elses bank details - I don't think I could have done anything to stop it - it's just dealing with the aftermath that is going to be a real pain in the neck.

I just hope no more of my details are in the wrong hands!

Bob_H
FISOhead
FS Record: The Liquidator

Post by Bob_H »

If you register with CreditExpert (costs about a fiver a month) then they send you an e-mail when your credit history has changed (eg if someone does a credit search). Worth the cost IMO to give an early warning of any potential fraud.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Financial & Shopping”