To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Moving Home

A forum for matters involving finance (incl. business and money issues) and shopping (incl. consumer rights).
barry
FISO Knight

Moving Home

Post by barry »

all things going well, I'll be moving home within the next month, but this has been our first home since I left my parents, so came here with about two car loads after packing up one room.......

what's the best plan of attack as I haven't a clue where to start!?!?

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Re: Moving Home

Post by sted »

How old are you?
How many rooms worth of shit do you have?
How much money do you have?

I've done it a few times mate,more and more stuff each time, I swear I'm going to pay good money to have people do it for me next time.

Top tip...start boxing stuff months in advance

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

1. Be ruthless. After a few years in one place you'll have accumulated all kinds of crap.
2. Get the removal company to do the packing for you, money well spent trust me.
3. Be ruthless.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

Am doing same thing, its a nightmare, we have lived here for over 30 years, so much stuff collected. We have been boxing up, taken on a storage place as we just cant decide at mo what to keep and what to bin (though we have got rid of loads). We still have just about a complete set of original Star War toys amongst other of same era (my late sons) just cant let them go, literally thousands of programs, photos, camera gear that will never use but cant just get rid.
Fingers crossed we put our place on market next week, currently looking at houses, how people do this regularly beyond me

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

we're both 37, kids are 10 and 6.
2 bedroom house to empty.
none!

already been round every room/cupboard/drawer (and loft) and sold/charity-shopped/binned all the stuff we're not taking, hopefully just bare essentials now.
new house is only 5 mins away.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

thinking I might start this weekend with the shed - get it all out and store it in my parents garage for the time being, at least that's one space done! then once we're in, I can go collect it as and when....

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

What ever you do, be prepared to still be emptying boxes upto 6 months after moving in.

Good luck with the move.

The last twice we've moved we've hired a LWB van and done the move ourselves. Certainly worth it if you are only moving 5 minutes away mate.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Richt wrote:What ever you do, be prepared to still be emptying boxes upto 6 months after moving in.

Good luck with the move.

The last twice we've moved we've hired a LWB van and done the move ourselves. Certainly worth it if you are only moving 5 minutes away mate.

aye. priced a local firm today, can get a luton box van from Friday evening till Sunday for £69. rope in a couple of mates to graft and think we'll just do the move ourself.

Richt
FISO Knight
FS Record: Averagely consistant.

Post by Richt »

£69 for almost 48 hours worth of hire is a damn good price!

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

yeah, meant to be £89 and meant to be for 24 hours, but as I'm "local" and as they can't be arsed coming in on a saturday evening they said I could have it till sunday. :mrgreen:

Ave a banana
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Ave a banana »

barry wrote:thinking I might start this weekend with the shed - get it all out and store it in my parents garage for the time being, at least that's one space done! then once we're in, I can go collect it as and when....
Does Pa Barry read FISO?

Javahart
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Not troubling the leaders

Post by Javahart »

We have moved three times. :shock:
I've moved us, paid for someone to do the whole thing and latterly just paid for removals.

Not sure I really enjoyed the 'moving ourselves' thing. Get a quote from any of the major removals firms, it really does make life much easier. Should be circa £300 for 2 bed house, maybe less.

Be Ruthless - ebay, charity shop, bin. If you haven't used something for over a year, chances are you never will. I made over £1500 on ebay least time we moved from tut (I mean really good stuff) we did not need.

Label boxes really carefully and try to pack them for the rooms they are destined for - makes life easy in the new home.

Good luck!

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Ave a banana wrote:
barry wrote:thinking I might start this weekend with the shed - get it all out and store it in my parents garage for the time being, at least that's one space done! then once we're in, I can go collect it as and when....
Does Pa Barry read FISO?
half the garage is full with other crap anyway, their car hasn't been in it for at least a year :lol:

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

spend a bit of time thinking about taking down and putting your beds back together (if they're that type)...get extra help if necessary just to do that. It can be quite fiddly and time consuming but they're one of the few things you probably need both the night before and the night after the move.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

Light bulbs, bog paper, camping gas stove, tent as back up :D

Knotty
FISOhead

Post by Knotty »

Moved in October for the 5th time in 5 years.

Best advice: Use the floorplan of your new place (usually included on the estate agents website) to label each room in the new place and get some sticky labels from work and number and label each box you fill for that room eg, L1 = Box 1 for the living room, B1-1 = Box 1 for Bedroom 1.

Then keep a spreadsheet listing exactly what's in each box.

Boxes then get put in the relevant room on arrival and refer to the spreddie for what you're looking for.

Saved us loads of time in opening boxes for specific things we needed sooner rather than later.

Knotty
FISOhead

Post by Knotty »

Darbyand wrote:spend a bit of time thinking about taking down and putting your beds back together (if they're that type)...get extra help if necessary just to do that. It can be quite fiddly and time consuming but they're one of the few things you probably need both the night before and the night after the move.
Agree re beds (they take ages to take down). We took them down the weekend before the move and slept on the mattresses on the floor for the last 3-4 nights.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Knotty wrote:
Darbyand wrote:spend a bit of time thinking about taking down and putting your beds back together (if they're that type)...get extra help if necessary just to do that. It can be quite fiddly and time consuming but they're one of the few things you probably need both the night before and the night after the move.
Agree re beds (they take ages to take down). We took them down the weekend before the move and slept on the mattresses on the floor for the last 3-4 nights.

aye, good point. As it stands, we gave up our bedroom to give the kids one each, so we're on a sofa bed anyway....son's bed is the divan type that only requires the drawer being removed. Daughters bed will need taken down (or at least, the top end & legs and bottom end & legs) so might just ask if they can stay with thier grandparents the night before.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

If your parents are nearby then it might be worthwhile to palm the kids off to then for a week or so as it will make it easier to pack things up and then unpack.

tedbull
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 82nd 08/09

Post by tedbull »

My strongest recollection of our first move is it was a stinking hot day, we had no electric and couldn't get the cooling on, couldn't make a cuppa and then at the end of a long day all you want to do is go to bed... and you've got to build the effing bed.

Moved 4 times in the last 7 years, two of them over 3,500 kms relocations.

Make sure utilities are all sorted (see first paragraph)
Get rid of the kids
Map boxes from old rooms to new rooms using labels
Make a "Priority Box" than includes small stuff you know you'll want to find easily on the first night (eg remote controls, mobile chargers, stuff the kids can't do without)

Personally I'd say get someone else to do it, but obviously that's a cost based decision.
Last edited by tedbull on 04 May 2015, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Hope it goes well for you :)

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Make sure you know how tether your mobile to your laptop for fisodas.

(Good luck with the move)

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Best of luck Barry.

Moving's a nightmare, but nothing a bottle of bubbly can't fix so just accept that you've got a couple of weeks of hell to come, crack open the fizz and enjoy your first night in the new house.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

finally got the all clear on Friday.....moving this Friday :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: RE: Re: Moving Home

Post by murf »

barry wrote:finally got the all clear on Friday.....moving this Friday :shock:
Leaving the country if the SNP get in?

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

:lol:

nah, just local. going from 2 bed flat to a fkn mansion.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

I'm in the area a week Friday.....

a) Shame, I could have helped
b) what a narrow escape

..... Hope it goes well! :-)

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

aye? what brings you up here chief?

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Visiting rellies on our way to Skye!

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

Jester wrote:Visiting rellies on our way to Skye!

aw aye, you're miles away! I'm out in Dumfries that Friday night anyway but gimme a bell if you need a cuppa on way home from Skye!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Financial & Shopping”