To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Top 20 Beers

A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
RowdyRaver
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Top 20 Beers

Post by RowdyRaver »

Funny, I just tried my first bottle of Badgers Champion the other day. Your damn right it good

Jim Royle
Grumpy....My Arse!

Post by Jim Royle »

Maldon Gold!

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

The one I'm having now. Its nicer than the one I had before. The two I had before that ran it close though. The one before that was pretty good too. :mrgreen:

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I always think the first one is best, followed by the second and then I go on to whisky. I do on occasions have three which is usually on a par with the second but once again not as nice as the first. Then I go on to whisky.

charliverpool
Kevin and Perry

Post by charliverpool »

I have never tasted San Miguel, I haven't heard it though.. Is it good? :)

Glyn1972
Treebeard
FS Record: Just behind last place

Post by Glyn1972 »

Spinynorman wrote:I always think the first one is best, followed by the second and then I go on to whisky. I do on occasions have three which is usually on a par with the second but once again not as nice as the first. Then I go on to whisky.
Beer on whiskey - Very risky
Whiskey on beer - Never fear

This advice I now know to be spurious. Just this weekend I had 9 pints of beer before moving to whiskey (about half a bottle) and was really ill.

And just last week I discovered that the old adage 'ne'er cast a clout til May is out' is utter garbage. My neighbour, May Smith went out and I left the house without my cardie. And it p****d down.

Jim Royle
Grumpy....My Arse!

Post by Jim Royle »

Got a real taste on for Peroni at the moment (draught and chilled) happy days :D

SUZYKINS
Dumbledore

Post by SUZYKINS »

Spinynorman wrote:Badgers Champion Ale is a nice one on a warm summers evening.
A little late but Badger have an offer on at present, a competition to win a landrover, if not you get a printable 50P off token :P, makes it a cheap beer :mrgreen:

Dumbledore

Post by 12345678 »

only one mention for pelforth brun and one for an obscure belgian beer :shock:

my favourite occasional in terms of draught beer in england is leffe which is strong and has a really good solid taste (both essentials for me) although i had the weakest beer ive had for ages last night harveys sussex ale, was going to have the equally weak but quite nice fullers london pride but it was orf.

agree with a couple who have gone for peroni which is a nice beer with a decent but light taste, although kroney '64 is my lager of choice :wink:

a decent bitter with a bit of strength is always an option but i badly miss the black old english ales i used to drink in london and canterbury as a kid. hardly any b*gger sells them these days as they don't shift, guinness is fine but not as good.

so for me leffe on draught or failing that bottled is the best option. i can drink this in a nice decent sized glass at say the westminster in le touquet, but in this poxxy country they will only serve half measures on grounds of strength :evil:

andy

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Been over to Belgium a few times lately with work. Getting a real taste for Orval, Rochefort 10, Westmalle Tripel and Dubbel, Chimay Blauw. So much nice beer there. The bar I was in last night had a 10 page beer menu - 160 different beers :D

Need to get over to Westvleteren one time I'm there. You can only buy the beer by appointment from the abbey. Was near there in May but on the bike - need to get back in the Landrover to pick up a few crates (actually I think you can only buy one crate at a time).

Mind you, there's some great beer here now. So many micro breweries and free house pubs with great local beers springing up everywhere.

thelip
FISO Jedi Braveheart
FS Record: Variable

Post by thelip »

ok, some favourites

Belhaven Best
Boddington's Bitter
Tetley's Mild
Arrol's 80/-
McEwans 70/-
Tiger Beer
Toohey's New
Cruzcampo
Fischer
Mort Subite
Leffe
Chimay
Guinness
Deuchar's IPA
Punk IPA (be careful)
Dos Equis
Coors Light
Caffrey's

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Young's Bitter
Young's Special
Abbot
Courage Directors
London Pride
Hobgoblin
Doom Bar
Budvar
Peroni
Guinness
BJ's Jeremiah Red 7.3% :shock:
Samuel Adams Oktoberfest

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

thelip wrote:Punk IPA (be careful)
Discovered that a couple of weeks ago. Very nice (on draught).

ctibbits
Dumbledore
FS Record: Won "The Bet" 2014/15

Post by ctibbits »

Well as I have become quite the beer snob I figured I would add my list. Doubt many have had several on the list unless you have traveled to the states but these are about as good as it gets if you are into IPAs and sour styles. Hard to rank them but I am certain the top 5 our my favorite 5.

Arthur from Hillstead Farms (Saison)
Tart of Darkness from The Bruery (Sour Stout)
Another One from Maine Brewing (IPA)
Tropicalia from Creature Comforts (IPA)
Funk Metal from Jester King Brewing (Sour Stout)
Hibernal Dichotomous from Jester King Brewing (Sour)
Detritivore from Jester King Brewing (Sour)
Zombie Dust from Three Floyds (IPA)
Head Hunter from Fat Head (IPA)
Sculpin IPA from Ballast Point (IPA)
Yellow Rose from Lone Pint (IPA)
Duet from Alpine Brewing (IPA)
Lily & Seamus from Lone Pint (Hopped Wheat Ale)
Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery (IPA)
The Waldo's Special Ale from Lagunitas (IPA)
Snorkel from Jester King Brewing (Sour)
Lunch from Maine Brewing (IPA)
Interurban IPA from Freemont Brewing (IPA)
Guinness (Stout)
Strawberry Harvest Lager from Abita Brewing (Lager)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I've had the penultimate one. Depends where it us brewed. British stuff relatively rubbish. Blame the water.

Talking of IPAs. Had some Punk the other week. Gorgeous.

Will be doing my annual Jennings binge in the coming days. Can't wait.

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Nice thread, my list going to be very mainstream and UK-oriented.

Of course, often hard to judge as most beer tastes a million times better near where it is brewed - my favourite brew of many years ago, Abbot Ale, is usually pretty rubbish outside of East Anglia. And I had some truly amazing draught lager in Copenhagen once which turned out to be... Carlsberg!

Anyway, here goes...
London Pride
Guinness (draught)
Old Speckled Hen
Abbot Ale
Directors
Brakspears Oxford Gold (Brakspear's Special would have been right up there, but they've stopped making it)
Doombar
Harviestoun Bitter and Twisted
Skye Black
Marstons Pedigree
Fullers Jack Frost Blackberry Ale
Wadworths 6X
Youngs Special
Innis and Gunn Rum Cask
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout
Adnams Broadside

Plus some lagers for the summer months...
Peroni (draught)
Budvar
Bitburger

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Dommbar was in the news recently as the bottled stuff isn't bottled at source despite having St Ives (is that right???) plastered all over it. Think they ship it up to Coors in Burton to do it. Draught stuff is 'pure' though.

IMO all beer is 5 times better on draught and I don't really liked bottled real beer. Usually stick to lager at home or widgetted cans like Boddies. Maybe I should keep away from this thread as I rarely go to pubs to drink proper stuff (next fortnight a blessed exception).

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Yeah, agree, draught is best if you can get it, although I reckon bottled real ale is an acceptable substitute these days (much improved on times gone by).

In fact I wondered whether I should split that list above. Most of them are draught, but there's a few in there that I discovered after drinking bottled beer at home.

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Is there any move towards canning in the UK? There has been a big push towards that in the US lately because of the increased popularity of West Coast Style IPAs. There flavor gets distorted very quickly with a minimal amount of light (Actually termed "light struck"), so breweries have began switching from bottles to cans. But of course draught straight from the teet is the way to go!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I the UK the more mass produced (AKA boring) stuff is mostly sold, canned, in packs, inc slabs of 24 cans in supermarkets etc while the better real ales are generally marketed in bottles, sold individually or sometimes in 4 pasck and upwards. Been like that for years I think.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I recommend the Old Speckled Hen & Golden Hen in cans. Much better than the bottled versions imo

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

When draught is good then that's great but it is a bit unpredictable. I really like real type ale in bottles and it's always good to experiment.

At the moment my top five would be:

Tanglefoot
Late Red
Duchy Organics Organic Old Ruby Ale
Greene King IPA Gold
Old Speckled Hen

It will be different by the weekend. :)

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

murf wrote:I the UK the more mass produced (AKA boring) stuff is mostly sold, canned, in packs, inc slabs of 24 cans in supermarkets etc while the better real ales are generally marketed in bottles, sold individually or sometimes in 4 pasck and upwards. Been like that for years I think.
Was the same here. Cans used to be equated with the cheap light swill. But know some of the best beers are offered in cans. It also started happening so you could bring them to beaches, lakes, pools etc since glass containers typically aren't allowed in these areas.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Had a bit of a session last night with a few folks and some american beers.
11666987_10204150684459984_1388134592_n.jpg
11715951_10204150684579987_1274931444_n.jpg
I have to say that I found most of them far to hoppy and a bit sharp. They were quite refreshing and rather strong meaning that a good time was had by all but I do prefer the rather more pond water aspects of British real ale. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimmy ching
Dumbledore

Post by jimmy ching »

I liked the Leffe. I'm avoiding it now. Kept on getting too ill. :D
My favourite at the moment is St Erwan. Best drank in halves. A good strong beer with an English taste. The Breton beer market is starting to produce some good ones. Dremwell is a good one too. They are all strong though, usually around 7%. that's why I stick to halves. Yes, I have seen the English pint it but they learn through experience.
I do miss the choice you have in the bars in England and of course the ales and bitters. I'm pretty convinced there is a market for them here. People are getting fed up with lagers like Kro and end up adding Picon to it to get that better bitter taste. I don't understand why they don't just choose St Erwan or another. Scared, safe and cheap I suppose.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

For me, degrees of appreciation depends on thirst, weather and company. I've happily drunk obscure brews and loved them, but on a later day they've disappointed. Guinness is superb and has never disappointed and most of the above lists rightly include it. On a budget though, sitting in a bar in good company on a hot day, I now go with bottled Chang as I know exactly how many I need before I sound fantastic singing Angels on karaoke.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

There are some nice Winterbiers made here in Netherlands and in Belgium, mostly Belgium (called Winter as they are brewed in Winter)
They are heavy, dark beers and strong with most around 8-9% but some getting up to 13%.

If you ae ever in Amsterdam on a cold winters night then head to Cafe Belgique (very small and with 20 people in it gets heaving) and sample some. They serve it in glasses about 1/3 pint

ctibbits
Dumbledore

Post by ctibbits »

Spinynorman wrote:Had a bit of a session last night with a few folks and some american beers.
11666987_10204150684459984_1388134592_n.jpg
11715951_10204150684579987_1274931444_n.jpg
I have to say that I found most of them far to hoppy and a bit sharp. They were quite refreshing and rather strong meaning that a good time was had by all but I do prefer the rather more pond water aspects of British real ale. :)
Some nice choices there for sure. Funny you mention them being "far to hoppy" as the Torpedo from Sierra Nevada is really the only one that has a really high IBU level as far as the labels I can read. There has been a complete shift in beer styles over here in the past couple of years and now people are trying to out do each other with the hoppyness. Several beers are 100 IBUs or more at the moment which is just becoming silly.

spoki
Kevin and Perry

Post by spoki »

1. Hebridean Brewery Clansman
2. Williams Bros. Perfect Storm
3. Cairngorm Brewery. Cairngorm Gold
4. Black Isle Brewery. Red Kite Ale
5. Drygate. Blackeye IPA
6. Cairngorm Brewery. Caillie
7. Scottish Borders Brewery Game Bird
8. Orkney Breweries. Corncrake Ale