The Water of Life, OR "Well, I'll be dram'd..."

A tasty forum for discussion on Food & Drinks topics
rossn13
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 12th TFFE 09/10

Re: The Water of Life, OR

Post by rossn13 »

Latic wrote:
rossn13 wrote: Cheers murf, is £35.25 a decent offer for the Quarter Cask?

Hang fire, supermarkets stock this and occasionally discount it. 35 sods ain't cheap.
Cheers Latic, I'll check ASDA next time I'm in.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: The Water of Life, OR "Well, I'll be dram'd..."

Post by murf »

Yep, something I only treat myself to at supermarket offer type prices. 35 may be what you'd normally need to pay.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Definitely hang on before taking the plunge, it sometimes turns up for just over £20.

Flyman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO FPL Knockout Cup Winner 08; 5th Overall Sky Sports Euro 12

Post by Flyman »

murf's suggestion of Laphy 1/4 Cask is good in that it's a very distinctive malt but as Latic says, you could find it cheaper. It'll be in most Duty Free airport outlets - any way to find their price and pick a bottle up on your way out?

What is distinctive about several Islay malts is their peaty smokeyness. If you are on a budget try Tesco's own 12 Y.O. Islay malt - it's re-badged Caol Isla. At £21 it's a perfectly suppable whisky. Not as smoky as Laphroaig or Ardbeg but perfectly good at that price imo.

Wishing you a good trip! Slainte!

Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Post by Ironfist »

Flyman wrote: ... ... it's re-badged Caol Isla. At £21 it's a perfectly suppable whisky... ... ...
*Caol Ila :wink:

As for the Chinese... indeed an Islay peat heavy-weight like Laphroaig or Ardbeg would be very impressive, or if you want them to OOhh and Ahh a bit, get them a Talisker (from Skye) and tell them it's distilled only with water rising from the lava streams of the Black Cuillins... :shock: then tell them Scottish children drink it for breakfast :wink:

You can get all these quite cheap at the duty-free as suggested hereabove.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Ironfist wrote:
Flyman wrote: ... ... it's re-badged Caol Isla. At £21 it's a perfectly suppable whisky... ... ...
*Caol Ila :wink:

As for the Chinese... indeed an Islay peat heavy-weight like Laphroaig or Ardbeg would be very impressive, or if you want them to OOhh and Ahh a bit, get them a Talisker (from Skye) and tell them it's distilled only with water rising from the lava streams of the Black Cuillins... :shock: then tell them Scottish children drink it for breakfast :wink:

You can get all these quite cheap at the duty-free as suggested hereabove.
Black Cuillin :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I'm prepared to be shot down but the Talisker distillery isn't really in The Cuillin(s) is it?

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

murf wrote:I'm prepared to be shot down but the Talisker distillery isn't really in The Cuillin(s) is it?
We stayed very close to the distillery a few years ago, and... no, it isn't in the Cuillins

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Hogmeister wrote:
murf wrote:I'm prepared to be shot down but the Talisker distillery isn't really in The Cuillin(s) is it?
We stayed very close to the distillery a few years ago, and... no, it isn't in the Cuillins
Talisker's marketing slogan has been for a very long while that they're the 'lava of the Cuillins'....

@unc.si - there's definitely an S in the slogans... :? :)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Ironfist wrote:
Hogmeister wrote:
Talisker's marketing slogan has been for a very long while that they're the 'lava of the Cuillins'....

@unc.si - there's definitely an S in the slogans... :? :)
It's Black Cuillin and Red Cuillin, or collectively the Cuillins.

ie you can say The Cuillins, but if you preface it with Black, it's the Black Cuillin.

Similar to the oft incorrectly pluralised Himalaya.

And no, Carbost isn't actually in the Cuillin, but you can see it from there and the water they use at Talisker I presume flows off the Cuillin.

Anyway, it's a nice place to visit. Probably just about the only thing to do on Skye if the weather's too bad for climbing apart from sitting in the Sligachan drinking your way through their top shelf (which would take a very long time, although it does rain a lot...)

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I'm actually seriously contemplating a cycling trip to Islay. Can't think of much better than combining a visit to the (8?) distilleries with cycling. You can get Ardbeg cycling tops - I got one a couple of years ago after seeing Graeme Obree with one :D

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

I've been three times to Islay and never been too impressed by the state of the roads... I wouldn't think they're too bicycle friendly... unless you're going off-road? Laphroaig is by far the most welcoming of the distilleries and Lagavulin the least, although they're next door to each other. Make sure you're a member of 'Friends of Laphroaig' before you go :wink: The refurbished Bruichladdich should be intersting to visit and on your way there, go drive down the Mull of Kintyre and visit the best ever distillery (and one of the best single malts - top three IMHO) @Campbletown, called Springbank. Some of the nicest people in the whisky industry. And on the same token, stay away from Bowmore on Islay which is now owned by the Japanese and a rather dreary distilery visit. And the last recommendation is, try and visit Lochside Hotal just north of Bowmore village. They have an incredible bar which can fit only about 10 people, but has a vault with almost every single malt made in Scotland in the last 60 years of which you can order a dram... some priced at a 1000 pounds for shot.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

For anyone with £987,500 burning a hole in their pocket

http://www.multivu.com/mnr/61942-harrod ... collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Ironfist wrote:if you want them to OOhh and Ahh a bit, get them a Talisker (from Skye) and tell them it's distilled only with water rising from the lava streams of the Black Cuillins... :shock: then tell them Scottish children drink it for breakfast :wink:
I bought a bottle of Talisker Storm last week, a special edition which, according to the blurb, emphasises the peaty characteristics of the normal version. Sounds nice but remains untested. Was on offer for £35 I think. Waitrose(??)

Pincher
Grumpy Old Crab
FS Record: Allys Tartan Army

Post by Pincher »

Talisker with extra peatiness - now that should be interesting - I find it almost overwhelming in the standard variety. :roll:
Do let us know Murf. :)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Here you go, £34.50. OFFER ENDS 10PM TODAY

http://www.waitrosedirect.com/product/t ... sky/500389" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tasting Notes:
ABV: 45.8%

Nose: Spicy, mellow smoke and a honeyed sweet maltiness with an explosion of pepper

Palate: At first sweetly mellow and rich followed quickly by a spicy heat, like a gathering Storm. The flavour is elegantly drawn out with a balance of sweetness, smoke and salt.

Finish: Clean, warming, with a lasting aftertaste

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Sounds lovely... need to get a case at yhe first possible opportunity :)
Knulpuk wrote:For anyone with £987,500 burning a hole in their pocket
http://www.multivu.com/mnr/61942-harrod ... collection" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big mistake by Harrods. Out of all possible distilleries they picked Dalmore... :cry: Out of that great price the decanter, book and trimmings are worth more than the actual drink. Great marketing & sales victory for Dalmore.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

I have a bottle of 57 degrees north a bit mellower than normal, almost a different drink - but still very very good.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Knulpuk wrote:I have a bottle of 57 degrees north a bit mellower than normal, almost a different drink - but still very very good.
Doesn't sound that mellow:

STRENGTH
57.8% ABV :shock:

APPEARANCE
Full gold.

NOSE
Clean and intense, with light smoke like a struck match. Creamy toffee balanced by fruit. Hints of seaweed, heather blossom and vanilla.

BODY
Explosive, intense and smokey.

PALATE
Sweet to start with smoke and tar exploding around the middle. At full strength and explosion that evokes the raw volcanic power that formed Skye’s famous Black Cuillin mountains.

FINISH
Tingling with the signature pepperiness.

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

But the 10 year says

Palate: Full bodied with huge plumes of smoke and volcanic, peppery peat. Intense.

its relative to that

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

murf wrote:I bought a bottle of Talisker Storm last week, a special edition which, according to the blurb, emphasises the peaty characteristics of the normal version. Sounds nice but remains untested.

Tasting Notes:
ABV: 45.8%

Nose: Spicy, mellow smoke and a honeyed sweet maltiness with an explosion of pepper

Palate: At first sweetly mellow and rich followed quickly by a spicy heat, like a gathering Storm. The flavour is elegantly drawn out with a balance of sweetness, smoke and salt.

Finish: Clean, warming, with a lasting aftertaste
This has easily become my current favourite whisky, living up to the blurb above. Just bought a refil as I spotted it on offer in Tesco (£31.70) - treat yourself for the cold winter ahead......

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

Felt like the start of whisky season at the weekend with rain coming down like pipe cleaners / stair rods.

Mmmm - thirsty

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

I saw Monkey Shoulder for 20 quid at ASDA, worth a check.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Latic wrote:
I saw Monkey Shoulder for 20 quid at ASDA, worth a check.
I've never had any of that. What's it like?

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Not had for a while (and won't have for another few days - damn you Sober for October).
Smooth and a little sweet from memory. Knew it was a blend of malts but Google has just told me it's actually three - Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie.

Edit: Kininvie :?: :?:
http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/kininvie.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

Anyone out there tried Talisker Storm?
http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/ta ... rm-whisky/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Talisker has long been one of my favourites, and I found this one on offer locally, so told the wife she could get me a bottle for xmas. Looking forward to a wee dram after xmas dinner next week. :D

Edit: That's embarrassing - posted the above and then immediately went back and read the recent posts, only to find a recommendation just five posts back! :shock: That'll teach me to read the thread before posting :oops: :oops: :oops: Oh well, at least murf's comments about it were good :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

A great drop indeed.

stuboy
Dumbledore

Post by stuboy »

Got a mate's 40th coming up and want to buy him a 40 year old Whisky. Don't want to spend more than £350 if I can help it but also don't want to buy him some tosh either.

A number of websites out there like this http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/Age-40.aspx

However for those of you in the know - any 40 year old whisky you would recommend for a "reasonable price"?

Thanks

Knulpuk
Dumbledore

Post by Knulpuk »

stuboy wrote:Got a mate's 40th coming up and want to buy him a 40 year old Whisky. Don't want to spend more than £350 if I can help it but also don't want to buy him some tosh either.

A number of websites out there like this http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/Age-40.aspx

However for those of you in the know - any 40 year old whisky you would recommend for a "reasonable price"?

Thanks
I take it you friend is a whisky lover.

All this is is of course just my opinion, man.

My advice would be not to bother! At 40 years old you are paying mainly for rarity value. I would buy a good bottle of something but with a decanter / tantalus with an engraving re the 40th or look for a bit more value

eg

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-19432.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

£350 can get you a very VERY nice whisky. It's not 3500... if your friend is really into whisky and can appreciate a good item, I can recommend a few but first you must find out if there's a particular region he likes, ie style of whisky. If he doesn't specify a particular distillery than make it a region. Ask casually or his missus if he has one.

Here are a few examples I would be extremely happy about:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-11885.aspx - wonderful distillery, Speyside, love their stuff.
http://www.lfw.co.uk/acatalog/All.html - a great shop which will give you good advice on the phone.
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000023664 - a decent result from another good, albeit slightly touristic shop.
http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4851.aspx - and if age wasn't important, this would be also very nice at £350.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Food & Drink”